**OLD THREAD** League of Legends - F2P MOBA (like DOTA)

Page 88 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Noc is definitely going to get nerfed soon. He's banned in every high ELO ranked game. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut back a little on every ability save maybe his ult. He's just got such a potent kit of abilities with his teleport -> fear tether (unless they have a blink ready, they aren't going to escape) -> shadow trail.

He reminds me a lot of OP Twisted Fate back during beta.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I played a bunch of games as Noc last night and yea, he's quite fun to play, but yes, he's OP. I was doing pretty good with him although oddly, my first game was my best.

IMO, this weeks champs sucks, because everyone is trying them. I had teams full of "weekly" champs and first timers thus..the actual games didn't go that well. But oh well. I had fun anyway. He's just a fun char to play.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Noc is definitely going to get nerfed soon. He's banned in every high ELO ranked game. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut back a little on every ability save maybe his ult. He's just got such a potent kit of abilities with his teleport -> fear tether (unless they have a blink ready, they aren't going to escape) -> shadow trail.

He reminds me a lot of OP Twisted Fate back during beta.

My problem with Nocturne is that he tower dives with impunity at level 6. He has massive regen due to his passive early on allowing him to easily kill squishy champs. Couple that with the loss of vision making teamfights a near impossibility and you have an OP champ. Honestly I would be much happier if Nocturnes ult either affected his team as well or only affected one target.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Please do not buy IE on Pantheon.

If you haven't noticed, the majority of Pantheon's damage comes from his spells, not his autoattack. IE is a dead end for Panth. There is nothing like seeing a Pantheon destroy your team and then go glass cannon or get a dead-end item like IE with a huge gold investment. Makes you think you're still in the game =).

Pantheon is an AD caster. He focuses on dominating the early to mid game, destroying the AD carry mid and then systematically taking the other team apart when he gets his ult with his ganks.

Because his spells do so much damage early on, and scale off of physical damage, you should be looking into armor pen. A strong pantheon will pick up something along the lines of brutalizer -> BF sword -> youmuu's/bloodthirster, and then starting to build survivability along the lines of a merc treads/frozen mallet/neg cloak. If you are destroying people without the need of survivability, something like an Atma's would work as well.

edit: For skill build, please remember that the bulk of Pantheon's damage now comes from his E. IIRC, your priorities should be R, E, W, Q. One point in Q early on for ranged harass/last hits is likely necessary.

Didn't I suggest Brutalizer then BF then IE then survivability? Perhaps you'd like to something other than IE with the BF such as Bloodthirster? It's been so long since I played him but I thought the e hits could crit like garens spin.

As far as runes I've not played him since the Mana regen change but I used to go ArPen red, MP5 yellow, MR blue, Health quints (ArPen is good too) and I would strongly consider changing the yellows to something else at this point (armor or dodge). I like 15 in offense and the rest is up to you (I really don't care for lethality since it only affects base damage so I rarely go 21 offense).

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I dunno, I don't find nocturne too OP compared to others, no problem shutting his ass down as long as people don't play too aggressively and feed him.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
IMO, this weeks champs sucks, because everyone is trying them. I had teams full of "weekly" champs and first timers thus..the actual games didn't go that well. But oh well. I had fun anyway. He's just a fun char to play.

That's why when I'm using a champ for the first time ever I play vs. AI so I don't ruin my team's game. Gives me time to learn the ins and outs.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I dunno, I don't find nocturne too OP compared to others, no problem shutting his ass down as long as people don't play too aggressively and feed him.

My main problem is that while most people play a roaming/teamfight type of game often times you can effectively counter this early by warding river/enemy jungle having 3 people defend mid and the other two push side lanes (requires map awareness). A champion like Nocturne (and TF/Panth) denies you the option of this strat unless you know they just ulted. TF/Panth are both a bit squishier and unless fed they don't really disrupt this nearly as much.

However my greatest problem is his ult:
1. It is a tanks job to keep the enemy off of his carries, this is damn near impossible when one can move directly to the carry the way his ult does. TF at least gives you a visual clue he's coming so you can prep/run (Nocturnes clue is different since you don't know where he's going just that he's going).

2. Loss of vision is simply put the best initiating ability in the game. Mages/carries are usually behind tanks and if you take away their vision they usually turn and run to the tower allowing you to have a 5v3 where ever the fight actually is, coupe that with the secondary ability to directly harass any damage dealers that stay... and mostly teams are forced to stay in very close proximity. This opens them up to being destroyed by AOE attacks in a fashion that we all learned to avoid when the press 'r' to win strategy was popular. Quite simply, I don't know how you counter Nocturnes ult except by having everyone stand at a tower.

My suggestions for changes to nocturne's ult:
a. change it's range from 2500/3xxx/4000 to 1500/2000/2500
b. wards are fricken lanterns... they (and towers) should always provide sight even if you lose your teammates &minions to the fog of war.
c. Change the duration of the ult's loss of vision from 4 to 2/3/4 seconds.

Alternatively change it to act as such:
Nocturne targets a champion and he/she/it loses vision from all teammates/towers/wards/minions for 3/4/5 seconds, Nocturne may cast this a second time to dash directly to the effected champion dealing xxx damage (with damage and range as it is now).

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I played a bunch of games as Noc last night and yea, he's quite fun to play, but yes, he's OP. I was doing pretty good with him although oddly, my first game was my best.

With a new champ I always go: practice game, Coop vrs AI, Normal, normal*, ranked

I debuted my AD Sion and he's a ton of fun. Hit's like a truck and the ult is downright amazing. Of course between myself and the twitch, we controlled our lane so I'll have to see what happens when I fight more aggressive enemies that deny better. I've been using crit chance runes, buying the 8% crit item + 2hp pots then building executioners calling, boots, zealx2 and the game is usually over though I would like to try to farm up for warmogs + Atma's =)

Oct 25, 2006
My main problem is that while most people play a roaming/teamfight type of game often times you can effectively counter this early by warding river/enemy jungle having 3 people defend mid and the other two push side lanes (requires map awareness). A champion like Nocturne (and TF/Panth) denies you the option of this strat unless you know they just ulted. TF/Panth are both a bit squishier and unless fed they don't really disrupt this nearly as much.

1. It is a tanks job to keep the enemy off of his carries, this is damn near impossible when one can move directly to the carry the way his ult does. TF at least gives you a visual clue he's coming so you can prep/run (Nocturnes clue is different since you don't know where he's going just that he's going).

2. Loss of vision is simply put the best initiating ability in the game. Mages/carries are usually behind tanks and if you take away their vision they usually turn and run to the tower allowing you to have a 5v3 where ever the fight actually is, coupe that with the secondary ability to directly harass any damage dealers that stay... and mostly teams are forced to stay in very close proximity. This opens them up to being destroyed by AOE attacks in a fashion that we all learned to avoid when the press 'r' to win strategy was popular. Quite simply, I don't know how you counter Nocturnes ult except by having everyone stand at a tower.

b. wards are fricken lanterns... they (and towers) should always provide sight even if you lose your teammates &minions to the fog of war.

Nocturne targets a champion and he/she/it loses vision from all teammates/towers/wards/minions for 3/4/5 seconds, Nocturne may cast this a second time to dash directly to the effected champion dealing xxx damage (with damage and range as it is now).

I think you're giving too much credit to his ult. The thing about him is that, it may be a long range ult, just about large than the size of the screen, but it relies on several things.

1. The target is far away from other tanks/carries
2. It is within sight range
3. He isn't exactly the most durable so you can't always just go on in against a full health carry.

He excels in punishing stupidity. If the other team isn't stupid, Nocture has a hell of a time, which I experienced about 5 minutes ago, when our team cop simply could not defend against the other team and so Nocturne was worthless as there was never a point where I could just ult in and kill because everyone stayed around each other. You can easily be spread enough so that you avoid aoe and still be protected from Nocturne. If you're really sing the range on Nocture, you better be sure you can win, because your changes of escaping are pretty nil as you don't have an escape ability worth speaking about late game.

guy666

Dec 25, 2010
With a new champ I always go: practice game, Coop vrs AI, Normal, normal*, ranked

I debuted my AD Sion and he's a ton of fun. Hit's like a truck and the ult is downright amazing. Of course between myself and the twitch, we controlled our lane so I'll have to see what happens when I fight more aggressive enemies that deny better. I've been using crit chance runes, buying the 8% crit item + 2hp pots then building executioners calling, boots, zealx2 and the game is usually over though I would like to try to farm up for warmogs + Atma's =)

There is little reason to go 2 zeals anymore, Phantom Dancer is more efficient gold and slot wise. Costs only about 500 gold more for +15% attack speed, +10% crit chance, -1% movement speed, and +1 slot.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
I think you're giving too much credit to his ult. The thing about him is that, it may be a long range ult, just about large than the size of the screen, but it relies on several things.

1. The target is far away from other tanks/carries
2. It is within sight range
3. He isn't exactly the most durable so you can't always just go on in against a full health carry.

He excels in punishing stupidity. If the other team isn't stupid, Nocture has a hell of a time, which I experienced about 5 minutes ago, when our team cop simply could not defend against the other team and so Nocturne was worthless as there was never a point where I could just ult in and kill because everyone stayed around each other. You can easily be spread enough so that you avoid aoe and still be protected from Nocturne. If you're really sing the range on Nocture, you better be sure you can win, because your changes of escaping are pretty nil as you don't have an escape ability worth speaking about late game.

yeah i don't find Nocturne OP at all. don't own him myself, but i don't see what everyone's problem with him is. he punishes people who overextend, simple as that. his early game ganks can be devastating, sure.

but he doesn't work like TF who can see everyone and just port anywhere. noct has to be able to see his target to jump. wards really help against a jungling noct early. if he's ganking a side lane more than likely he's gonna hide in the bushes in the river. place a ward there so if you see him coming you can back up to your turret. you deny him early ganks/farm, you'll find he's easy to deal with late game. also, he's quite squishy so he's easily killed in team fights.

also, grab cleanse if you feel the need. fear is really what guarantees him a kill. cleanse, obviously, helps immensely with what noct does.

Oct 25, 2006
And now I lose a game as Nocturn even though I was 11/4/something because of idiot team mates who didn't know to freaking PUSH. We got baron twice and nobody wanted to push, only FARM DUURRRRR. Then they went for Baron again even though I yelled at them not to because we just saw someone there and he just put a fucking ward down so they knew 100% that we would be there.

BUT NOPE. GO FOR IT. GET KILLED. Then lose. WONDERFUL. I HATE THIS GAME.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
I bought Leblanc, loving her. Totally my playstyle. Jumping in and dealing 1000 burst damage is just so satisfying. Thanks for the recommendation.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I bought Leblanc, loving her. Totally my playstyle. Jumping in and dealing 1000 burst damage is just so satisfying. Thanks for the recommendation.

She's on my "to buy" list for sure. I really enjoyed playing Lux last week whilst she was free as well, I'd like to nab her but I don't think she's quite as viable as Leblanc.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007

I think the best change would to just make the vision loss only within the range of the ULT, not the whole map.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
She's on my "to buy" list for sure. I really enjoyed playing Lux last week whilst she was free as well, I'd like to nab her but I don't think she's quite as viable as Leblanc.

Lux is easily as viable, if not more so because she can burst from long range, as LeBlanc. Just look for one of my posts on how I play Lux to get an idea of how to play her.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Lux is easily as viable, if not more so because she can burst from long range, as LeBlanc. Just look for one of my posts on how I play Lux to get an idea of how to play her.

This one?

Lux has to be the highest burst caster in the game (save for a farmed Veigar vs. another caster), but very few people know how to play her well. Her spell/attack sequence has to be precise or else you miss out on damage. But a perfect sequence will drop anyone below the beefy melee types from full health. I got the drop on a full health Vlad at one point and killed him with just one spell rotation. Same level (8) too. And the speed at which it can happen is so fast - I can usually get it all off within 2-3 seconds.

Snare them. Drop the orb on them and leave it. Auto attack to trigger the snare's illumination. Fire up your laser ult. Just before it goes off, detonate the orb. Orb hits and applies passive first, laser hits (triggers passive) and reapplies the passive. One last auto attack if needed for the passive from the laser.

It gets even more ridiculous as you stack AP and get a Sheen/LB and your auto-attack + passive is dealing another 500 damage.

Been having a lot of fun with her the last few days.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
That's the one. Most players I see using Lux just fire off her snare and orb at random and only use the laser on low health runners, not realizing how much damage they do if you combo them all on one player. And like I said, her abilities have such range that you can usually surprise people.

Oh, and smartcasting is REALLY beneficial to Lux. You probably shave a full second off of the combo time by not having those additional clicks.

Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I love lux, although I haven't played her too much. One of my regular premade buddies almost always picks her.

On another topic, anyone have any specific "first blood" rune/mastery/champion/item builds? I am thinking a twitch setup with attack damage red/quints (15 damage total), flat armor flat magic resists (+14 each), and a doran's blade would have a pretty good chance of obtaining a first blood in the bot lane. I am normally all about armor pen runes on physical damage champions, but at level one a flat 15 damage bonus is going to add more than the equivalent armor penetration would, at least if my math is right. You can build into a last whisper later anyway.

Ignite/exhaust if you really want to play all-in. If in a premade, make sure someone in bot lane has a snare or stun, sion, taric, lux, morgana, etc- and only pop out after a target is stopped already.

Last edited:

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
How is the Treant Morakai?

I've got 1500 RP to spend. Just bought Lux. Kinda want an odd tanky like character.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005

I've got 1500 RP to spend. Just bought Lux. Kinda want an odd tanky like character.

He's ok, though I find him to be weaker than the other tanky characters. He certainly has a great initiation but I haven't found a way of playing him that I really like.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

He's a great laner, overall though, as was said above, as a "tanky" char, he lacks, but he is great as a CC/Tanky support character for the whole team. There may be better chars for this, but he's fun to play. If you go AP/with some tank, he can dish quite a bit of damage.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
He's a great laner, overall though, as was said above, as a "tanky" char, he lacks, but he is great as a CC/Tanky support character for the whole team. There may be better chars for this, but he's fun to play. If you go AP/with some tank, he can dish quite a bit of damage.

I'll probably buy him since i almost never see him played.

douglasb

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2005
I like Maoki. He's super strong early game, but not so great by end-game. I think he's one of the top damage dealers @ early levels, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.