** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 54 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
except they fucking get owned by banelings.

When micro'd properly (not easy, granted) they're much less susceptible to banelings (at least without the speed upgrade). I'd say Zerglings and Zealots have a tougher time with banelings; if you bring up Roaches and Stalkers, then it's only fair to say that you should have Marauders as a Terran, too.

My problem with them is that they're too good a counter to too many higher-tech units. No way a tier one unit should be an even-cost counter (except maybe immortals...).

Jul 10, 2007
When micro'd properly (not easy, granted) they're much less susceptible to banelings (at least without the speed upgrade). I'd say Zerglings and Zealots have a tougher time with banelings; if you bring up Roaches and Stalkers, then it's only fair to say that you should have Marauders as a Terran, too.

My problem with them is that they're too good a counter to too many higher-tech units. No way a tier one unit should be an even-cost counter (except maybe immortals...).

zealots handle banelings a lot better because they have a lot more HP.

only when you have a billion marines are they good for anything.
and they are countered quite easily. tanks/colossi/banelings.

they take a ton of barracks to produce a large amount and to get a lot early takes some time because reactors take a fuckton of time to build.
now stim takes 3 minutes to research as well.

terran is getting fucking nerfed to hell every single patch.

maruader shells requires upgrade
stim upgrade takes 3 minutes now
bunker build time increased TWICE
reapers TWICE (SD before rax, speed)
medvac speed decreased
tank siege damage reduced
thor svc repair targetting priority
battlecruisers (forgot what)

no other race is getting nerfed as hard. in fact, the other races have been getting buffs then entire time.
and don't give me the excuse that terran was OP to begin with. Toss have been winning majority of matches in all leagues.

Last edited:

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Woot, promoted to silver league! Only started playing a couple weeks ago. snoots.771 if anyone wants to hook up.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005

only when you have a billion marines are they good for anything.

they take a ton of barracks to produce a large amount and to get a lot early takes some time because reactors take a fuckton of time to build.
now stim takes 3 minutes to research as well.

terran is getting fucking nerfed to hell every single patch.

maruader shells requires upgrade
stim upgrade takes 3 minutes now
bunker build time increased TWICE
reapers TWICE (SD before rax, speed)
medvac speed decreased
tank siege damage reduced
thor svc repair targetting priority
battlecruisers (forgot what)

no other race is getting nerfed as hard. in fact, the other races have been getting buffs then entire time.
and don't give me the excuse that terran was OP to begin with. Toss have been winning majority of matches in all leagues.

Its not an excuse, its a bloody fact.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
They have more HP because they cost 2x as much and are melee. Marines can spread out and kite banelings without the speed upgrade pretty effectively, and when coupled with a few marauders they don't do much unless you flank.
Of course they're easily countered, although I would argue that banelings alone won't do it. But, as an example, Brood Lords should be death to land units like marines - but marines, when micro'd properly, do well. I can't think of a single air unit they don't do reasonably well against, especially with Stimpak.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
explain the 40/30/30 p/t/z win ratio then.

I thought in the "leaked Naniwa patch notes" Blizzard commented that Protoss was losing the most games while Terran was still winning the most?

apac said:
Woot, promoted to silver league! Only started playing a couple weeks ago. snoots.771 if anyone wants to hook up.

I just started playing recently as well (about 2 1/2 weeks ago now), I'm definitely down for some games! → Kabob | 684 ←

Anyone interest in getting a friendly FFA going tonight? All skill levels welcome (as I suck and I know some of you are quite good)...

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005

Its so hard to get to silver league from bronze in 4vs4. I've been ranked number 3 in bronze in 4vs4 for about 4 months. I'm serious, you can lose 10 games in a row and still be same rank, win one game and jump up one. Lose one and back to rank 3. lol

If you look at 4vs4 players, most of them are always within a few ranks they have been for ages. very odd

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
they might as well should remove reapers now, no one even uses them anymore since they're so nerfed.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
they might as well should remove reapers now, no one even uses them anymore since they're so nerfed.

I don't have the micro to use them in 1v1's, but I definitely enjoy using them in team games. People often don't expect them & with nitro they're really fast. Lots of blitz raids while my teammates handle the main attack; it's pretty fun.

But omg I hate it when like 1 reaper pops into my mineral line and all of my army is a mile away D:

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002

Yea, it's kind of a shame. I can see making one or two to harass with while attacking, but they're not as viable an option early in games as they once were.

Just for the hell of it, I fired up the unit test map and tried Marines against air units. An equal army value of Marines (not even taking into account that vespene is worth more than gas - i.e. 700 minerals worth of Marines against a Battlecruiser) dominates every time, and it's even worse when they have Stimpak. The only exception is a large (~10+) group of Brood Lords. Carriers... BC's... Smaller groups of Brood Lords... All dominated, even with much smaller groups of Marines.

IMO they need to either cost more or (more likely) do less damage against air units...

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
I thought in the "leaked Naniwa patch notes" Blizzard commented that Protoss was losing the most games while Terran was still winning the most?

I just started playing recently as well (about 2 1/2 weeks ago now), I'm definitely down for some games! → Kabob | 684 ←

Anyone interest in getting a friendly FFA going tonight? All skill levels welcome (as I suck and I know some of you are quite good)...

Nice i'll look you up later.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Its so hard to get to silver league from bronze in 4vs4. I've been ranked number 3 in bronze in 4vs4 for about 4 months. I'm serious, you can lose 10 games in a row and still be same rank, win one game and jump up one. Lose one and back to rank 3. lol

If you look at 4vs4 players, most of them are always within a few ranks they have been for ages. very odd

I think you only promote out of a league when you start winning the majority of your games. Out of maybe 70 total games, I had won my last 25/30 and was promoted. I was surprised it took so long. I actually had a streak 15 games long somewhere in there.

Jul 10, 2007
Yea, it's kind of a shame. I can see making one or two to harass with while attacking, but they're not as viable an option early in games as they once were.

Just for the hell of it, I fired up the unit test map and tried Marines against air units. An equal army value of Marines (not even taking into account that vespene is worth more than gas - i.e. 700 minerals worth of Marines against a Battlecruiser) dominates every time, and it's even worse when they have Stimpak. The only exception is a large (~10+) group of Brood Lords. Carriers... BC's... Smaller groups of Brood Lords... All dominated, even with much smaller groups of Marines.

IMO they need to either cost more or (more likely) do less damage against air units...

yes, nerf terran even more.

and BC's just suck. everyone knows this and that's why no one uses them.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

Air units have the advantage of no obstacles. Broodlords, carriers and BC should be able to stand off from a group of marines near a cliff or such and pick them off. They shouldn't be getting hit by all the marines.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

I play Terran100% of the time and get hosed pretty often using a mass marines strategy by Mutas/Banes/VR's/Tanks