** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Anyone having bnet disconnection issues? Fired up SC2 for the first time in a long time, updated to the newest patch (1.2.1 or 1.2.2?) Tried to 1v1 a friend, about 5 seconds in got the "dropped connection" dialog with no timer. Couldn't do anything until I dropped. Then I joined a custom game and the same thing happened. I spoke with my friend about it and he said he was having the same issues.

Jul 10, 2007

i've watched quite a few of his games.

he is a pussy whiner who can't handle anything except a long drawn out macro game. he can't handle cheese.

and even his macro game isn't all that. he takes too long to react to what his opponent does. his tech switch comes only when his brute force, rush in with 200 army fails.

when he loses, he talks shit. when he wins, he talks shit.
he is like that 5 year old brat that cries when he sees another kid with a shinier tricycle than his and won't trade with him.

want to see a good zerg player? watch fruitdealer.

fuck idra.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

he is a pussy whiner who can't handle anything except a long drawn out macro game. he can't handle cheese.

and even his macro game isn't all that. he takes too long to react to what his opponent does. his tech switch comes only when his brute force, rush in with 200 army fails.

he is like that 5 year old brat that cries when he sees another kid with a shinier tricycle than his and won't trade with him.

fuck idra.

fruitdealer?

Fruitdealer has hit a wall, and it shows. His skills hasn't improved, while everyone else's has.

Poor recommendation on your part

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Woot, I just played my first ever game of SC2! I started off on the little "intro" league and boy do I need it, I don't know how people do so many tasks at once (let me put it this way, my APM is probably around...20). At one point I had 5500+ minerals and 4000+ gas I was sitting on because I'm not able to focus on spending it.

TONS of fun though, I actually won. But boy do I have alot to learn!!!

You can easily get to platinum with APM of 30-40. That's what i have. Don't worry to much about it. You need to build more production facilities. Then your minerals will be near 0 even with an APM of 10. ;)

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I wish the top 10 players listed on blizzard site would automatically list the "last 10 games" they played so you can watch them in replays.

Very hard to find games of some of the top players unless its a tourney game. Even then lots of those are restricted to certain sites.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
LOL

fruitdealer is a bad example?

how many gsl has idra won again? now fruitdealer?

Fruitdealer won the first GSL, when stuff was still being figured out and new patches weren't in effect. You could tell from the games fruit played that it was more his opponents sucking than him being a superb player. Sure, fruit was good, but hyperdub was laughable.

How has fruit played compared to Idra in recent GSL seasons? That's right, worse.

Fruit is the example zerg said by people who aren't really on top of the sc scene...Nestea is a much better example.

Is Idra the best zerg? No, not by far. But he is up there as one of the best. And he isn't a douche; he's a nice, reasonable guy. The internet just loves to troll and bash him, despite him being one of the more interesting characters in the SC scene.

It's a shame he's leaving GSL, but NA could be a lot more profitable for him.

Jul 10, 2007
Fruitdealer won the first GSL, when stuff was still being figured out and new patches weren't in effect. You could tell from the games fruit played that it was more his opponents sucking than him being a superb player. Sure, fruit was good, but hyperdub was laughable.

How has fruit played compared to Idra in recent GSL seasons? That's right, worse.

Fruit is the example zerg said by people who aren't really on top of the sc scene...Nestea is a much better example.

Is Idra the best zerg? No, not by far. But he is up there as one of the best. And he isn't a douche; he's a nice, reasonable guy. The internet just loves to troll and bash him, despite him being one of the more interesting characters in the SC scene.

It's a shame he's leaving GSL, but NA could be a lot more profitable for him.

i guess someone else hopped on his keyboard mid game and then starts talking shit about the other guy and their strategies and tactics used. then rage quits on his behalf right?

i don't blame him. he couldn't handle the heat so he got out of the kitchen.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

fuck idra.

nestea = gg. dude's a goddamn baller

PUN

Golden Member
Dec 5, 1999
nestea and slayerboxers are acquatance of mine :)
Played plenty of games with them. gg in 3 mins.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
So apparently I have a reputation. I guess my name is too distinctive. Should have picked a more obscure one.

So many people know me as a Bronze 99 they automatically quit when they see me on the roster. And if they arent sure they ask. When I tell them, they QQ. Getting to the point where I will never be experienced enough to learn and do better.

In all 1vs1 guys routinely use a zergling mass against me and always win. No matter how hard I try I cant get a solid wall and barracks and enough marines up to stop them. Even if I have an SCV repairing each Depot I just cant mine enough resources and spit out marines fast enough.

Jul 10, 2007
So apparently I have a reputation. I guess my name is too distinctive. Should have picked a more obscure one.

So many people know me as a Bronze 99 they automatically quit when they see me on the roster. And if they arent sure they ask. When I tell them, they QQ. Getting to the point where I will never be experienced enough to learn and do better.

In all 1vs1 guys routinely use a zergling mass against me and always win. No matter how hard I try I cant get a solid wall and barracks and enough marines up to stop them. Even if I have an SCV repairing each Depot I just cant mine enough resources and spit out marines fast enough.

scout the pool, drop a bunker, counter attack, say gg before they do.

stopping mass lings is all about advance notice. i've played 3v3 games where i've been 6-8 pooled by 3 zergs and survived with a handful of workers. i tell my teammates i'm fine, don't help, just counter and we win on their attack.

terran: bunker near cc with one side touching cc to reduce surface area. repair and fight with svc's as necessary.
toss: instead of cybernetics, get 2 gateways and boost out z's. fight with probes.
zerg: drop crawlers near hatch, pump lings.

Last edited:

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I spent the majority of my weekend playing SC2, I'm really enjoying this game. Didn't play any PvP but I did do alot of 3v3 co-op games against Medium/Hard AI (I'm realizing Med is too easy and I need to stick to Hard at least). I still suck but I'm getting better! (slowly but surely...). Build order/timing is what I really need to work on.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
scout the pool, drop a bunker, counter attack, say gg before they do.

stopping mass lings is all about advance notice. i've played 3v3 games where i've been 6-8 pooled by 3 zergs and survived with a handful of workers. i tell my teammates i'm fine, don't help, just counter and we win on their attack.

terran: bunker near cc with one side touching cc to reduce surface area. repair and fight with svc's as necessary.
toss: instead of cybernetics, get 2 gateways and boost out z's. fight with probes.
zerg: drop crawlers near hatch, pump lings.

To make a bunker I first need a depot, then a barracks. Usually around the time I am making my first marine the other guy has 6 or 8 zerglings on my base. Even if he is somehow protected, my marine cant shoot them fast enough.

And I learned long ago to push stuff up against important buildings so melee units cant rip them up. Been killed too many times to let that happen. I also know to have a couple towers when playing against Protoss. Am amazed at how fast people can get dark zealots.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
You should be able to get marines out fast enough to counter this, using SCV's to form a front line if necessary.

As Terran, I still usually wall off against zerg. I have a second depot going up before my barracks is even finished (at this point I have 100 minerals floating around that might as well be spent), and then it's just a matter of pumping out enough marines to defend effectively. Unless the Zerg goes with Banelings at that point, I have such an economic advantage that I can either counter or tech a bit without much worry.

I'd recommend finding something you're comfortable with by playing against friends, as that kind of crap is the norm in lower leagues - you'll need to get used to it somehow, and there's no sense ruining your record in the process.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003

If you want to get better watch the Day9 video blogs on youtube, specifically the "newbie tuesday" series. It will help you improve.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You should be able to get marines out fast enough to counter this, using SCV's to form a front line if necessary.

As Terran, I still usually wall off against zerg. I have a second depot going up before my barracks is even finished (at this point I have 100 minerals floating around that might as well be spent), and then it's just a matter of pumping out enough marines to defend effectively. Unless the Zerg goes with Banelings at that point, I have such an economic advantage that I can either counter or tech a bit without much worry.

I'd recommend finding something you're comfortable with by playing against friends, as that kind of crap is the norm in lower leagues - you'll need to get used to it somehow, and there's no sense ruining your record in the process.

Im already 5-190 so I dont really care about my record. But I will try the other suggestions.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Im already 5-190 so I dont really care about my record. But I will try the other suggestions.

Jesus, really? I bought the game exactly a week ago and I'm 9-9. Here's a couple basic, basic pointers
- Watch the day9 videos as I previously mentioned
- Pick a race and stick with it
- Learn the basic hotkeys for your race. Build depot, build barracks, train marine, ...
- Bind buildings to hotkeys. 4-command center, 5-barracks #1, 6-barracks #2, ...
- ONLY use hotkeys until you get used to them
- Scout your enemy
- Memorize your opening and variations based on scouting. See an early pool? Get a bunker down early.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003

we should play sometime... i'm horrible as well :p

honestly though... use your scv's to defend against those early ling rushes. protoss can counter an early ling rush pretty much JUST with probes. which is effing ridiculous.

but yeah... the day 9 newbie tuesday videos help a lot. he just did one on basic mechanics that was pretty informative for me. also i know there's one about how to deal with early pressure that is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Jesus, really? I bought the game exactly a week ago and I'm 9-9. Here's a couple basic, basic pointers
- Watch the day9 videos as I previously mentioned
- Pick a race and stick with it
- Learn the basic hotkeys for your race. Build depot, build barracks, train marine, ...
- Bind buildings to hotkeys. 4-command center, 5-barracks #1, 6-barracks #2, ...
- ONLY use hotkeys until you get used to them
- Scout your enemy
- Memorize your opening and variations based on scouting. See an early pool? Get a bunker down early.

Will watch.
I'm sticking with terran.
I use bindings for important buildings.
I'll try to use JUST hotkeys.
I try to scout but usually forget about the scout and he gets whacked.
Its memorizing the best action for every single instance thats killing me. Also, slow reflexes.