** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 10, 2007
Air units have the advantage of no obstacles. Broodlords, carriers and BC should be able to stand off from a group of marines near a cliff or such and pick them off. They shouldn't be getting hit by all the marines.

they can also be behind your MM units since it has superior range.
BC's with tanks are the ultimate combo.

too bad BC's are slow, expensive, take forever to build and generally are not a cost effective unit.
that's why you rarely ever see them.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Anyone interest in getting a friendly FFA going tonight? All skill levels welcome (as I suck and I know some of you are quite good)...

I posted that same question on the [H] and got a few folks who are interested, anyone in here?

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
they can also be behind your MM units since it has superior range.
BC's with tanks are the ultimate combo.

too bad BC's are slow, expensive, take forever to build and generally are not a cost effective unit.
that's why you rarely ever see them.

They're also outranged by Vikings which are much cheaper and completely able to kite BCs all day :p

anyone want to drop some tips on PDD's and seeker missles?

Tips as in when to use or specific positioning? Seeker missiles are rarely used due to their energy costs and the fact that a large amount of units can outrun them/isolate the unit and let it die since the Raven now can't use a PDD and that'll change the tide of a fight TvT if YOU can use a PDD and they can't.

As for when to use PDD that's more circumstantial, and I think people don't use auto turrets enough since they're great for tanking or adding just a bit more dps to a fight (or harassing the crap out of a miner line)

Last edited:

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Air units have the advantage of no obstacles. Broodlords, carriers and BC should be able to stand off from a group of marines near a cliff or such and pick them off. They shouldn't be getting hit by all the marines.

Oh, of course. That's why, if I see an opponent going air, I tend to force the action - air units have that advantage.

But, really... Try marines vs. any air unit. It's ridiculous how well they do vs. their cost.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
the game is pretty much balanced

terran NEED marines for air, what are we supposed to fight with if not marines? crappy vikings? slow expensive thors?

if terran had a marine nerf zerg would own with mutas so hard.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I think you only promote out of a league when you start winning the majority of your games. Out of maybe 70 total games, I had won my last 25/30 and was promoted. I was surprised it took so long. I actually had a streak 15 games long somewhere in there.

Well my win/loss ratio is not great..130wins vs 180 losses i believe. (4vs4 is always a toss up). I would save half those wins are because people disconnect before the game starts. lol

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Well my win/loss ratio is not great..130wins vs 180 losses i believe. (4vs4 is always a toss up). I would save half those wins are because people disconnect before the game starts. lol

I played my first non-intro league 1v1 last night and after his first push failed he said gg...

ModeEngage

Jul 14, 2001
www.mode-engage.net
anyone want to drop some tips on PDD's and seeker missles?

If you are engaging a protoss army with a lot of stalkers, two PDDs and a stim will go a long way toward you winning. Keep the PDD over your army so any sentries won't be able to pick it off.

Alternatively, a hit squad of a raven, a couple vikings, and cloaked banshees will do wonders against colossi. Use the vikings and raven to find the observer, then use the banshees and perhaps a seeker missile to take out the colossi.

Feel free to add me for 1v1 practice, team games, whatever. ModeEngage.108

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I played a few mass raven games last night and totally PWNED my opposition w/o PDD's.

I read up on PDD's later on that night. Now imma FUCK some people up.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
They're also outranged by Vikings which are much cheaper and completely able to kite BCs all day :p

On paper Battlecruisers can't touch Vikings, but in practice the Viking player can find himself in trouble pretty fast because any support from ground means free damage on the Vikings. If there are only a few Vikings/BC's, Yamato Cannon is hugely effective. If there is a huge cloud of Vikings and many BC's, Seeker Missile is very effective and Thors become decent against the Vikings. The BC player just needs to push forward while avoiding huge damage on the BC's. Eventually the Vikings will be forced to stand and fight.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
How the hell does Blizzard do matchmaking? I'm bronze league with a whopping 3-6 record and it puts me in an "evenly matched" game with a silver league guy who has over 600 games under his belt...

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
How the hell does Blizzard do matchmaking? I'm bronze league with a whopping 3-6 record and it puts me in an "evenly matched" game with a silver league guy who has over 600 games under his belt...

did you win your previous game before getting matched against the 600 game silver player?

the matchmaking seems to start with a very wide range then starts narrowing that range as you play more and more games. you could have also been matched against the 600 game silver player because he was on a losing streak.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Nope, I lost the game before.

It takes more than 9 games for the matchmaking to find your real ranking. At this point it is still throwing crap against the wall and seeing what will stick. Give it some more time.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
It takes more than 9 games for the matchmaking to find your real ranking. At this point it is still throwing crap against the wall and seeing what will stick. Give it some more time.

I suppose that makes sense. Still, you think the crap it threw at me being A) New and B) having a bad W/L would be...crappier.

supastar1568

Apr 6, 2005
Why is this game sooo good?

It's hard for me to play other games now as everything else seems so "simple" with no where near the depth as Starcraft 2.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Why is this game sooo good?

It's hard for me to play other games now as everything else seems so "simple" with no where near the depth as Starcraft 2.

I honestly don't think there is that much depth to SC2. What it does very well is balance between 3 very different races.

Compare it to a game like CoH. Destructible terrain, use of cover, use of buildings, veterancy, ability to shoot and move at the same time, etc. Not much has changed in SC2 from the SC1 model of play.

SC2 is quite fun to play, I'm just saying it's not as deep as it might seem. The straight forward gameplay is what makes it a fun, balanced, easy-to-play-difficult-to-master game. Again, as opposed to CoH for example, which had pretty fun MP but had so many balance issues and so much depth that it could be sometimes very difficult and frustrating to play.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Is there a way to see when you will advance from bronze to silver if you are on top of list of bronze already? I've been ranked #1 in bronze league for quite awhile now..but never seem to get promoted. I think i'm 1700 points in bronze in 4vs4 games.

HomerX

Mar 2, 2010
I honestly don't think there is that much depth to SC2. What it does very well is balance between 3 very different races.

Compare it to a game like CoH. Destructible terrain, use of cover, use of buildings, veterancy, ability to shoot and move at the same time, etc. Not much has changed in SC2 from the SC1 model of play.

SC2 has a lot of the listed elements like destructible terrain, "cover", shoot and move (phoenix) etc...

I'm not sure if adding additional stuff to a game increases its "depth"...
So in CoH there is an automatic cover system... In SC2 you have to make your own cover! Use of Forcefields, Chokes, PDDs, Vortex, High Ground etc... so the whole "providing an advantage to your units" process is more complex despite lacking a "cover system".

Chess seems to be a relatively simple game... 64 tiles and only a handfull of "units" and no different "races".. but it really has a lot of "depth"...

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
SC2 has a lot of the listed elements like destructible terrain, "cover", shoot and move (phoenix) etc...

I'm not sure if adding additional stuff to a game increases its "depth"...
So in CoH there is an automatic cover system... In SC2 you have to make your own cover! Use of Forcefields, Chokes, PDDs, Vortex, High Ground etc... so the whole "providing an advantage to your units" process is more complex despite lacking a "cover system".

SC2 does not have destructible terrain. No, destructible rocks do not count.

Saying that in SC2 you can "make your own cover" = more complex is besides the point. You can do that in CoH as well.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
just played a random 3v3 last night and one player on other team was a master leaguer 1v1. he did a 7 minute colossus drop on us, pretty sick and he woulda won except we spanked his base while he was harassing our econ with colossi. i usually get a turret up too before my initial attack so that helped as well.

however, it seems like a pretty awesome strat if you can pull it off that early. has anyone seen/done it before?