***********Official South Carolina Democratic Primary Thread**************

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I wanted Edwards to do very poorly so he'd finally drop out.

I know, I know, it isn't going to happen.. but if Obama won by 50 points that would be hilarious :p

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Hmmm, I guess I'm going to have to start reading up on Obama since Kusinich is out.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
How does Edwards justify being so much of a jackass as to stay in the race without getting at least 15% of the vote in his home state?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: ironwing
Hmmm, I guess I'm going to have to start reading up on Obama since Kusinich is out.

he's more or less no different than any other mainstream democrat.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Farang
How does Edwards justify being so much of a jackass as to stay in the race without getting at least 15% of the vote in his home state?

I don't know. It's really annoying, though. He should let one of the candidates win with a majority, not just a plurality.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I hate to say this because I will probably be accused of being racist, but blacks will vote for a black man solely because he's black. They may not admit it, even to themselves, but that's just the way they are wired. I mean, they voted Marion Barry back in as DC mayor even after he had been convicted of smoking crack. The vast majority of blacks proclaimed OJ Simpson to be innocent. Just a couple examples. Blacks stick with their own to the very end.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
^^ And the Clinton Racist Rhetoric begins... expect to hear the same BS from Team Clinton later on...

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: M0RPH
I hate to say this because I will probably be accused of being racist, but blacks will vote for a black man solely because he's black. They may not admit it, even to themselves, but that's just the way they are wired. I mean, they voted Marion Barry back in as DC mayor even after he had been convicted of smoking crack. The vast majority of blacks proclaimed OJ Simpson to be innocent. Just a couple examples. Blacks stick with their own to the very end.

There are a lot of black, single mothers. I'd be surprised if they are a lot more likely to vote for Obama than Clinton based on race alone.

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004

How cynical is this. A man who embodies so much that is great about America, and you somehow twist that to suggest people are blind to that because they are of African descent?

How sad.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Hillary can't even give her own concession speech in South Carolina? She sent out Bill. :confused:

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004

I think this comment is going a bit far. You could make similar comments about other groups. You could say that men stick with other men or that women stick with their own (look at all the men who won't vote for Hillary, look at all the female votes Hillary picked up in nh).

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Balt

I don't know. It's really annoying, though. He should let one of the candidates win with a majority, not just a plurality.

I think that a brokered convention is in the Dems' best interest. The Reps would have to hit more than one target until the convention and there would be genuine interest in the convention, something we haven't seen in decades.

I suspect Edwards will stay in it through Super Tuesday and if he gets enough delegates to be kingmaker he'll ride through to the convention otherwise he'll drop after Super Tuesday.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: ironwing

I think that a brokered convention is in the Dems' best interest. The Reps would have to hit more than one target until the convention and there would be genuine interest in the convention, something we haven't seen in decades.

I suspect Edwards will stay in it through Super Tuesday and if he gets enough delegates to be kingmaker he'll ride through to the convention otherwise he'll drop after Super Tuesday.

At this point I don't think anyone gives Edwards a chance to win. I think it's very possible he could take enough votes to change who is the winner, though.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
Originally posted by: aidanjm

I think this comment is going a bit far. You could make similar comments about other groups. You could say that men stick with other men or that women stick with their own (look at all the men who won't vote for Hillary, look at all the female votes Hillary picked up in nh).
Agreed. According to polling data by Rasmussen Reports, when divided by categories, the majority of women voters favor Clinton and the majority of men favor Obama; the majority of white voters favor Clinton and the majority of black voters favor Obama. Singling out just one group for this bias says more about the complainant than the group he's complaining about.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Hillary can't even give her own concession speech in South Carolina? She sent out Bill. :confused:

Where's the red dress and the big smile? :laugh:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster

Where's the red dress and the big smile? :laugh:

Does Bill look good in a red dress?

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: CptObvious
Originally posted by: aidanjm

Agreed. According to polling data by Rasmussen Reports, when divided by categories, the majority of women voters favor Clinton and the majority of men favor Obama; the majority of white voters favor Clinton and the majority of black voters favor Obama. Singling out just one group for this bias says more about the complainant than the group he's complaining about.

of course, the good news for Hillary is that female voters comprise the single largest group of those you mentioned :p

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
From the analysis I have seen, 50% of the democratic voters were black. And Obama grabbed
80% of them. The other 50% white voted white splitting 75% for either Hillary or Edwards. Leaving only 25% of the white vote for Obama.

So do de math.

(.5x.8)= 40% of the overall SC vote for Obama plus (.25x.5)=12.5% of the overall vote adds up to 52.5% of all votes meaning Obama has a convincing win especially in a three person field.

So it does say South Carolina is still a deeply racist state, blacks vote for blacks and whites vote for whites. And from Nevada, that other minority, Hispanics went for mostly Hillary.

And the wonderful republirats are above racism because they are lily white.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Obamas swan song?
Hillary pulled out of South Carolina to concentrate money and time on the Super Tuesday primaries.
As is easy to see, in the primaries, if you don't campaign you do poorly. Just ask Rudy. Or Romney. Its also true it you focus on a primary (or primaries) with time and money you do well.
So in South Carolina Obama had the best confluence of events possible. Hillary stopped campaiging. And the amazingly good weather throughout the state was conducive to a large black turnout, of which Obama got 80 percent. Plus Edwards did much more poorly than expected which may mean that his supporters have decided his candidacy is improbable and left to find another candidate. Which Hilaries leaving left to Obama.

Now comes Super Tuesday where Hillary has been concentrating her time and money.
Plus the whole black voter issue, for whatever reason, has called attention to race. Which will tend to hurt Obama in the states on Super Tuesday.

Bye, bye Obama.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
Obamas swan song?
Hillary pulled out of South Carolina to concentrate money and time on the Super Tuesday primaries.
As is easy to see, in the primaries, if you don't campaign you do poorly. Just ask Rudy. Or Romney. Its also true it you focus on a primary (or primaries) with time and money you do well.
So in South Carolina Obama had the best confluence of events possible. Hillary stopped campaiging. And the amazingly good weather throughout the state was conducive to a large black turnout, of which Obama got 80 percent. Plus Edwards did much more poorly than expected which may mean that his supporters have decided his candidacy is improbable and left to find another candidate. Which Hilaries leaving left to Obama.

Now comes Super Tuesday where Hillary has been concentrating her time and money.
Plus the whole black voter issue, for whatever reason, has called attention to race. Which will tend to hurt Obama in the states on Super Tuesday.

Bye, bye Obama.

My god the Billary folks are so desperate. Obama whooped your ass so bad that you have to concede twice and it's the end of the line for him?

BTW How's that Bradley effect theory of yours going? When is it going to kick in?