Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I've played my PS5 maybe ~4 times for ~12 hours so far. My kiddos played a couple times more but for not that long.

With the remastered Spider Man I get one crash to the home screen each play session. One time it hard locked with a glitched screen and screaming audio until I got up and held the power button in.

I'm really enjoying the game and the, quick non-loading experience of the PS5 but not so much the stability of it. Compared to my Series X which might have 10x the use so far (Minecraft/Minecraft Dungeons) and fully functional Plex (which was broken on PS5 as of a couple weeks ago with quite a bit of content) it's crashed infinitely more.

That's an observation. I am not putting it in the trash or anything.

The Xbox makes for a poor media player right now IMO. It can’t recreate true black for one and I still don’t know why they don’t allow Dolby vision from UHD Disc. The black level issue is going to be addressed according to MS though. The ps5 is just a better media player right now despite the plex issues IMO.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Wonder if crashes are related to the poor cooling of RAM as documented by Gamers Nexus?

Could be chip lottery issues... Some (many?) will have no problems, a few will.

The ps5 also has two different fan designs. One is louder then the other with fewer fan blades. It’s possible one or the other isn’t providing the same cooling at times.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
The Xbox makes for a poor media player right now IMO. It can’t recreate true black for one and I still don’t know why they don’t allow Dolby vision from UHD Disc. The black level issue is going to be addressed according to MS though. The ps5 is just a better media player right now despite the plex issues IMO.

The PS5 gets an "F" for media player for me because Plex (local streaming) doesn't work and I have to grab a $30 Roku off another TV in my house in order use it. It might seem like a minor thing, but if the $500 box can't even stream the ~6 services I use then I am not giving it a pass.

Soul looked amazing in even streaming quality Dolby Vision on my X90h on the Series X, and Auto HDR in games like Burnout Paradise City has some pretty deep blacks.

Meh, I am not coming here to argue the faults of one against the other though, just saying the PS5 is incomplete for me at this point. Even if it is just a Plex bug that needs to be fixed.

SpiderMan crashed for me last night off a fresh power up and game load after about 1 hour of play. As usual, during one of the Black Cat side missions. I just keep submitting the crash reports with full details ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The PS5 gets an "F" for media player for me because Plex (local streaming) doesn't work and I have to grab a $30 Roku off another TV in my house in order use it. It might seem like a minor thing, but if the $500 box can't even stream the ~6 services I use then I am not giving it a pass.

Soul looked amazing in even streaming quality Dolby Vision on my X90h on the Series X, and Auto HDR in games like Burnout Paradise City has some pretty deep blacks.

Meh, I am not coming here to argue the faults of one against the other though, just saying the PS5 is incomplete for me at this point. Even if it is just a Plex bug that needs to be fixed.

SpiderMan crashed for me last night off a fresh power up and game load after about 1 hour of play. As usual, during one of the Black Cat side missions. I just keep submitting the crash reports with full details ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Local streaming sucks from all consoles and probably always will. They will not allow lossless bitstream audio formats outside the blu-ray app.

I don’t buy these for any of that usage though. I have dedicated devices for UHD playback and I use my TV’s apps when necessary.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Local streaming sucks from all consoles and probably always will. They will not allow lossless bitstream audio formats outside the blu-ray app.

I don’t buy these for any of that usage though. I have dedicated devices for UHD playback and I use my TV’s apps when necessary.

Projector doesn't have a built in app for... anything :D

I want the box to do it all because I've got the wife and kids who just want this stuff to work and the moment we start changing inputs we start getting way more internal helpdesk tickets :p Ideally the remote for the device changes the volume too. Then it's just done.

Last edited:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

I was also disappointed to learn than the PS5 doesn't support Dolby Vision either unless they added it recently.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Don't mean to get too much off the beaten path by talking about Plex, but I really don't like the path that they're taking. While I can see the computer-based software not being as home theater-friendly, the one thing that I've always liked about it is that what I get in is what I get out. So, if I have something with a high-end audio stream, I don't have to worry about the audio being remixed or anything like that. For example, when I play something on the AppleTV, it usually ends up remixed to basic multi-channel audio. Although, I think part of that is because the AppleTV doesn't support Matroska?

Ultimately, I want to be able to choose a slightly more difficult solution to end up with a better result, but Plex doesn't want that. I've been tempted to switch to Emby, but I don't think their anime metadata/parsing support is as good?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Don't mean to get too much off the beaten path by talking about Plex, but I really don't like the path that they're taking. While I can see the computer-based software not being as home theater-friendly, the one thing that I've always liked about it is that what I get in is what I get out. So, if I have something with a high-end audio stream, I don't have to worry about the audio being remixed or anything like that. For example, when I play something on the AppleTV, it usually ends up remixed to basic multi-channel audio. Although, I think part of that is because the AppleTV doesn't support Matroska?

Ultimately, I want to be able to choose a slightly more difficult solution to end up with a better result, but Plex doesn't want that. I've been tempted to switch to Emby, but I don't think their anime metadata/parsing support is as good?

I've had great luck with my Roku for audio (not lossless but less buffering) buuuuuuuuuuuuut.... when it comes to the idea of "get out what you put in" Plex has huge issue.

Based on what I know, Plex doesn't support HDR at all.

Maybe it does?

Apprently Emby with Direct Play does support HDR. Maybe with audio shenanigans.

I finally have TV with HDR so I actually care more now, I always figured that this was coming. Sony has a 10/100 Ethernet jack so... there's that for the native Android app.

TLDR; buy a Shield.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Projector doesn't have a built in app for... anything :D

I want the box to do it all because I've got the wife and kids who just want this stuff to work and the moment we start changing inputs we start getting way more internal helpdesk tickets :p Ideally the remote for the device changes the volume too. Then it's just done.

Harmony remote does it all for me

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I've had great luck with my Roku for audio (not lossless but less buffering) buuuuuuuuuuuuut.... when it comes to the idea of "get out what you put in" Plex has huge issue.

Based on what I know, Plex doesn't support HDR at all.

Maybe it does?

Apprently Emby with Direct Play does support HDR. Maybe with audio shenanigans.

I finally have TV with HDR so I actually care more now, I always figured that this was coming. Sony has a 10/100 Ethernet jack so... there's that for the native Android app.

TLDR; buy a Shield.

Nvidia shield displays incorrect colors with a red push. It’s a wildly inaccurate picture. A non starter for me. I use my Oppo 203 UHD BD player for local playback directly with no quality loss. I use plex for remote playback and ease of use.

I do wish the consoles were better at it though.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Some tv's do have the plex app for what it's worth. I've had no issues streaming something from my bedroom pc to the living room TV using the application.

The only time I've actually used a streaming app from a console was if the tv I was using wasn't capable of running such apps. But I'm sure my case isn't the use case for everyone else.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Some tv's do have the plex app for what it's worth. I've had no issues streaming something from my bedroom pc to the living room TV using the application.

The only time I've actually used a streaming app from a console was if the tv I was using wasn't capable of running such apps. But I'm sure my case isn't the use case for everyone else.

Well the issue I have with plex is that most devices that can do lossless audio don’t do it through the plex app and it doesn’t handle HDR well on many devices too. Obviously I have a niche usage for local streaming.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Harmony remote does it all for me

I don't know if Logitech has released much after my Harmony Elite (it is a bit old at this point), but whew.. that device feels long in the tooth at this point. For example, I wanted the ability to access the Control Center on the AppleTV, which requires you to hold down a button on the normal remote. No big deal, right? Well... turns out the default installation mechanism for the Apple TV (i.e. manufacturer = Apple, device = Apple TV) installs an IR version, which does not support that. To get it to work, you have to select the Harmony Beta/Pro version by entering one of those two options as the manufacturer. Although, the only other option I can find is from Savant, and their fancy remote is ~$800.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't know if Logitech has released much after my Harmony Elite (it is a bit old at this point), but whew.. that device feels long in the tooth at this point. For example, I wanted the ability to access the Control Center on the AppleTV, which requires you to hold down a button on the normal remote. No big deal, right? Well... turns out the default installation mechanism for the Apple TV (i.e. manufacturer = Apple, device = Apple TV) installs an IR version, which does not support that. To get it to work, you have to select the Harmony Beta/Pro version by entering one of those two options as the manufacturer. Although, the only other option I can find is from Savant, and their fancy remote is ~$800.

Not sure. I use the harmony one with the hub.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
F'ing Demon's Souls...

I accidentally reset my Bastard Sword +5 yesterday because I thought the cursor was on the upgrade but it was on the downgrade, and there is no way to undo it. I tried turning off my PS5 immediately and reloading it, but it didn't work because I guess it saves immediately. That is super frustrating.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah. Need more pics and need more info.

Those pics with awful lighting don't tell the full picture. It still looks better than the white though.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
@KentState that looks pretty good from what I can see. I've never worked with PlastiDip before; was the process hard at all?
Basically it’s like any other rattle can paint.

Cleaned the panels with alcohol to remove any dirt. Setup an area that’s safe to spray and not dusty or with a draft. Just did a slow consistent coat of spray going slowly back and forth with a slight overlap. I rotated the panel 90 degrees for each coat so that I can cover all the crevices. Did about six coats on each side, allowing 30 minutes between coats. Then it dried overnight

I did tape off the pegs where it attaches to that they fit like stock. My only suggest is to paint the insides first. If not, you have to lay the freshly painted outsides when you flip them over.

Overall, Plasti Dip is fairly easy and if you make a mistake it peels off. It has a rubber like feel but the texture matches the rougher plastic. You will need to sand and paint if you want it smooth like the PS3.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
That looks great in the pics so far...

I actually stuck mine behind the entertainment center. Sony cheaped out and included a short anonymous HDMI cable (I used it to ensure no issues) and that was the only place I could easily fit it. So far no issues 😂

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
@KentState you have any more pics of it completed? Also do you have any concerns about it getting hot or anything?

You have me tempted to do it myself but I want to see some more pics cause it's kind of hard to tell from those ones how it looks. The fact you can peel it off too makes it nice if you mess up or don't like it.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Haven’t had a chance to mess with it today. I need to undo the cabling to pull it out of the entertainment center.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Got an order in at Amazon! It’s coming Sunday supposedly. Discord alert linked me directly to the offers page and I was able to add to cart and checkout. Regular product page said product unavailable.

Reactions: blckgrffn

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Got an order in at Amazon! It’s coming Sunday supposedly. Discord alert linked me directly to the offers page and I was able to add to cart and checkout. Regular product page said product unavailable.

Can you expand on the offers page? How did you get that? Crap, I got alerts it was in stock for 3 minutes and it kept showing unavailable on the webpage. Same thing 6 minutes later for the digital edition.