Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Persona games take a special person to appreciate them. Felt like I put an eternity into 3 and barely got anywhere. The story takes so long to build up and the next thing you know, you are planning out when to do volley ball practice and spend time with friends. High school simulator was not something that held my attention.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Persona games take a special person to appreciate them. Felt like I put an eternity into 3 and barely got anywhere. The story takes so long to build up and the next thing you know, you are planning out when to do volley ball practice and spend time with friends. High school simulator was not something that held my attention.

Persona 3-5 all start really slow, just doing almost nothing but story the first 2-3 hours. Then they all have a school field trip in the middle which is another press X or O for 40 minutes affair. But the other 100+ hours are awesome IMO.

If you like the combat though and hate the life sim stuff, you might look at the Shin Megami Tensei series that Persona spun off from. Those are straight dungeon crawlers and the best one (IMO) is coming to PS4 / Switch / PC this spring as a remaster (it's already out in Japan).

Persona games kind of have a dumbed down version of Shin Megami Tensei's battle system, and SMT games are usually pretty difficult with no hand-holding unlike Persona. Story is also pretty minimal, just straight dungeon crawling. I like this comparison between the two series:

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Thank you. No longer have PS3 (gave it to a friend who was starting life in US (immigration)) . Will look up Persona 5, appreciate the hint

Well if you have a PC with a gpu you could always try Persona 4 Golden cheaply without having to invest in any hardware to see if you like the series. It's not quite as good as Persona 5 / Persona 5 Royal IMO, but they're similar enough that if you like one you're pretty certain to enjoy the other too. And I think the story and characters are far superior. It is a remaster of a remaster of a PS2 game so the recommended gpu is only a GTX 460.

You could also play Persona 5 in RPCS3. It's supposed to run pretty well if you have the hardware for it, though I wouldn't use the 60 fps patch since it seems to speed up NPCs on the street in playthroughs I have seen.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Thank you. No longer have PS3 (gave it to a friend who was starting life in US (immigration)) . Will look up Persona 5, appreciate the hint

Honestly though, if I was going to buy a console for RPG it would be Switch hands down because of Zelda BOTW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenoblade Chronicles Remastered, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but most of all the upcoming Shin Megami Tensei V announced for 2021. Also Bravely Default 2 is coming in 2021. Loved the original Bravely Default on 3DS, such a great battle system. Whereas you could buy a cheap PS3 or emulate on PC to play Persona 5, and I fully expect Final Fantasy VII Remake to get a PC port eventually since it's a Square Enix game. So the only thing you'd miss out on for PS4 is Persona 5 Royal. And while I think Royal is a superior game in almost every way to the original Persona 5, the original is still one of the greatest turn based RPG ever made and Royal alone isn't enough to justify buying a system over. Most of the rest of PS4 RPG are on PC. And there is a decent chance Persona 5 Royal could come to PC anyways given how wildly successful Persona 4 Golden has been on Steam.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
One thing I should mention - they changed how browser based wifi authentication works (like a hotel wifi)... the PS5 will spawn a private wifi access point that you connect to from any other device and login the PS5 using that.

and I fully expect Final Fantasy VII Remake to get a PC port eventually since it's a Square Enix game.

FF7 remake is not an TRPG like the original game.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Honestly though, if I was going to buy a console for RPG it would be Switch hands down because of Zelda BOTW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenoblade Chronicles Remastered, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but most of all the upcoming Shin Megami Tensei V announced for 2021. Also Bravely Default 2 is coming in 2021. Loved the original Bravely Default on 3DS, such a great battle system. Whereas you could buy a cheap PS3 or emulate on PC to play Persona 5, and I fully expect Final Fantasy VII Remake to get a PC port eventually since it's a Square Enix game. So the only thing you'd miss out on for PS4 is Persona 5 Royal. And while I think Royal is a superior game in almost every way to the original Persona 5, the original is still one of the greatest turn based RPG ever made and Royal alone isn't enough to justify buying a system over. Most of the rest of PS4 RPG are on PC. And there is a decent chance Persona 5 Royal could come to PC anyways given how wildly successful Persona 4 Golden has been on Steam.

interesting. I only thought of Switch is mobile console experience (you know when you are were stuck in the train commuting to work and had nothing else to do). Since my interest is RPG, TRPG , and strategy gaming, i loved things like Jeane D'Arc on PSP , FFT (on PS1/PSP), etc. if they make Valkyrie Chronicles specially for PS5, I may buy PS5 for that. Thank you for suggestion.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
interesting. I only thought of Switch is mobile console experience (you know when you are were stuck in the train commuting to work and had nothing else to do). Since my interest is RPG, TRPG , and strategy gaming, i loved things like Jeane D'Arc on PSP , FFT (on PS1/PSP), etc. if they make Valkyrie Chronicles specially for PS5, I may buy PS5 for that. Thank you for suggestion.

You never played the Fire Emblem games? I thought those were huge to TRPG fans. There is only one Fire Emblem on Switch but it got pretty strong reviews. I think there are three Fire Emblem TRPGs on 3DS and also at least one Shin Megami Tensei TRPG on 3DS, though Shin Megami Tensei is mostly dungeon crawlers. Playstation has awesome RPG but they're losing a lot of their Japanese exclusives to multiplatform releases. The writing on the wall seems to be there for Persona to start releasing multiplatform too after Atlus tested the waters with P4G on Steam and found enormous demand from PC gamers. Sony has already lost some big former exclusive JP game franchises like 龍が如く (eg Yakuza in the West) and Kingdom Hearts. But if you're into JRPG, Nintendo's market dominance in Japan ensures they get a lot of exclusives. Plus stuff like Dragon's Quest XI where the Switch was the only platform to get the complete game for 3.5 years, with the complete version of it just coming to Steam / PS4 / XBox One about three weeks ago.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
You never played the Fire Emblem games? I thought those were huge to TRPG fans. There is only one Fire Emblem on Switch but it got pretty strong reviews. I think there are three Fire Emblem TRPGs on 3DS and also at least one Shin Megami Tensei TRPG on 3DS, though Shin Megami Tensei is mostly dungeon crawlers. Playstation has awesome RPG but they're losing a lot of their Japanese exclusives to multiplatform releases. The writing on the wall seems to be there for Persona to start releasing multiplatform too after Atlus tested the waters with P4G on Steam and found enormous demand from PC gamers. Sony has already lost some big former exclusive JP game franchises like 龍が如く (eg Yakuza in the West) and Kingdom Hearts. But if you're into JRPG, Nintendo's market dominance in Japan ensures they get a lot of exclusives. Plus stuff like Dragon's Quest XI where the Switch was the only platform to get the complete game for 3.5 years, with the complete version of it just coming to Steam / PS4 / XBox One about three weeks ago.

No, no experience with Fire Emblem. Most recently on PSPS - Jean D'Arc, Hexyz Force, Ys Seven, etc. if Switch has similar games, very likely I am going to get that platform in addition to all others. I just did not hear great things about Switch/Nintendo ecosystem overall (closed, tightly controlled, no real marketplace/single seller so monopoly , high prices ,etc). Vs say XBX/PS5 where many publishers are building for it, there is robust secondary market if you desire, competition between platforms ,etc.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
No, no experience with Fire Emblem. Most recently on PSPS - Jean D'Arc, Hexyz Force, Ys Seven, etc. if Switch has similar games, very likely I am going to get that platform in addition to all others. I just did not hear great things about Switch/Nintendo ecosystem overall (closed, tightly controlled, no real marketplace/single seller so monopoly , high prices ,etc). Vs say XBX/PS5 where many publishers are building for it, there is robust secondary market if you desire, competition between platforms ,etc.

I don't really play TRPG but the Fire Emblem series is supposed to be really beloved in the genre. Maybe check the reviews for Fire Emblem Fates and Fire Emblem Awakenings on 3DS and Fire Emblem Three Houses on Switch to see if they interest you. Even though the graphics look like crap I absolutely love the 3DS for the wealth of Shin Megami Tensei games, though those are turn based dungeon crawlers and not tactical RPG. If you do look at 3DS though make sure to get New 3DS XL, as the New 3DS models have face tracking cameras that help keep the 3D effect in focus while the original 3DS models are really hard to keep the 3D effect in focus. New 3DS (non XL model) are also kind of hard to find in the US since they were only sold here for Black Friday one year, but they're very popular in Japan. But New 3DS XL has a bigger screen at the cost of not having changeable plates like the regular New 3DS does. God one day I hope Nintendo get Atlus to port Shin Megami Tensei IV and Shin Megami Tensei IV Final to Switch so I can play them on a big screen with my stereo instead of listening on headphones or the 3DS speakers (music is epic in those two games).

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
My PS5 came yesterday, and I think I'm going to return it. I got it because of CP2077, and that was a mistake apparently. What are you playing on your PS5, that showcases the PS5?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
My PS5 came yesterday, and I think I'm going to return it. I got it because of CP2077, and that was a mistake apparently. What are you playing on your PS5, that showcases the PS5?

Can't say how buggy the game is still with the patches but it does run a lot better on PS5. 60 fps.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Play Astro's Playroom that comes preinstalled on the HDD.

I just put some more hours into that game last night and it's fantastic. You can feel the love put into that game. It's super polished too and has so much charm. It's a shame it's not longer though.

Other than that all I have is Demon's Souls.

Right now neither the XSX or PS5 truly has a "showcase" title IMO, even though these games look fantastic.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Astro's playroom is great. The playroom really gets into the details of the controllers. I've been playing demon souls and AC Valhalla on my ps5. Although these aren't really anything to showcase it unless you are really into Demon Souls. I think that game running in performance mode looks really good.

The miles morales spiderman in quality mode with ray tracing is very nice too and plays smoothly. I've felt no need to switch to performance mode in this title.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Can't say how buggy the game is still with the patches but it does run a lot better on PS5. 60 fps.
Maybe I'll wait and get the pc version then. Thanks!

Play Astro's Playroom that comes preinstalled on the HDD.

I just put some more hours into that game last night and it's fantastic. You can feel the love put into that game. It's super polished too and has so much charm. It's a shame it's not longer though.

Other than that all I have is Demon's Souls.

Right now neither the XSX or PS5 truly has a "showcase" title IMO, even though these games look fantastic.
If it's free it's for me.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

If I had a PS5 first thing I'd play is Ghost of Tsushima at 60 fps.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
The miles morales spiderman in quality mode with ray tracing is very nice too and plays smoothly. I've felt no need to switch to performance mode in this title.

There is a 60 fps RT mode in it now isn't there? Could swear I saw that on a Digital Foundry video a few days ago. After seeing that I sold my PS4 copy of Spiderman and will just get the Miles Morales Ultimate Edition whenever I can snag a PS5.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
There is a 60 fps RT mode in it now isn't there? Could swear I saw that on a Digital Foundry video a few days ago. After seeing that I sold my PS4 copy of Spiderman and will just get the Miles Morales Ultimate Edition whenever I can snag a PS5.

I know for the PS4 remastered version there is a 60 FPS mode with eye candy and it’s very solid. I mean, 30 FPS is shinier but fluid 60 FPS and the increased fidelity and no loading times? Definitely feels next Gen.

I want ghosts to get a similar treatment but it probably won’t. And I’ll probably still play it years from now either way. Backlog is real.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think it's 30fps with RT for miles morales and 60 fps in performance mode, but performance mode doesn't have RT from what I've seen. But even 30fps it plays super smooth. Also the remastered spiderman is definitely worth it too if you haven't played it. They updated the textures and characters as well.
If I had a PS5 first thing I'd play is Ghost of Tsushima at 60 fps.
Ghosts is a great game. I wish I could push myself to finish it. I just kept doing so much side stuff that I got fatigued. There's so much in terms of side missions and side quests, it can get a bit overwhelming. Combat is awesome though and that's where the game shines I think.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I think it's 30fps with RT for miles morales and 60 fps in performance mode, but performance mode doesn't have RT from what I've seen. But even 30fps it plays super smooth. Also the remastered spiderman is definitely worth it too if you haven't played it. They updated the textures and characters as well.

Have you played Miles Morales recently? Digital Foundry claimed there was a 60 fps RT performance mode in both games but the patch is pretty recent. He says it about 20 seconds into the video.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Have you played Miles Morales recently? Digital Foundry claimed there was a 60 fps RT performance mode in both games but the patch is pretty recent. He says it about 20 seconds into the video.

Oh interesting. I have not played it since this latest patch. That's good news then so I'll have to compare quality vs performance RT modes now. Pretty sure performance RT drops the resolution a bit but it looks like the DF says the textures are better.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

The RT in performance mode is pretty scaled back I think too.