Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
The RT in performance mode is pretty scaled back I think too.

Looks pretty good to me in the DF video. I usually don't care too much for RT I have seen so far in games since it makes nighttime puddles look like polished ice and floors look like polished stainless steel, but Spiderman and Miles Morales are the exception since it looks like you spend so much time on and around skyscrapers with tons of reflective windows.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Looks pretty good to me in the DF video. I usually don't care too much for RT I have seen so far in games since it makes nighttime puddles look like polished ice and floors look like polished stainless steel, but Spiderman and Miles Morales are the exception since it looks like you spend so much time on and around skyscrapers with tons of reflective windows.

Sure but the number of reflections and complexity of it is reduced to help the frame rate. Expected really because RT is extremely taxing, even on the PC with RTX3080 cards.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, lately, I've been reworking my entertainment center, which includes going from an open to closed setup with forced air ventilation and all that fun stuff. I'm actually just using one side from that older multi-piece entertainment hutch style where it was two towers with a top and middle shelf, but unlike most that I saw for sale online, this one is rather tall! Anyway, the reason why I bring this up is because having to reach around components (because I wasn't smart enough to devise a system to allow easy rear access) has alluded me to one thing that I abhor about the PS5... that awful stand. Pretty much... it seems that if you push the PS5 in any way, it will rotate the stand and likely detach it from the PS5. This means you have to lift up the PS5, pull out the stand, rotate it back into place, and then shove it back onto the back (in between the PlayStation symbols).

FUN. o_O

Oh, and for a good "laugh at me" moment... I made the silly move to place my AppleTV right beside the exhaust for the Xbox Series X. Honestly, I didn't even think about it much other than "Oh, it fits right here... how handy!" I played maybe.. 20-30 minutes of Immortals: Fenyx Rising, and that poor little AppleTV felt like I just pulled it out of the oven!

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
So, lately, I've been reworking my entertainment center, which includes going from an open to closed setup with forced air ventilation and all that fun stuff. I'm actually just using one side from that older multi-piece entertainment hutch style where it was two towers with a top and middle shelf, but unlike most that I saw for sale online, this one is rather tall! Anyway, the reason why I bring this up is because having to reach around components (because I wasn't smart enough to devise a system to allow easy rear access) has alluded me to one thing that I abhor about the PS5... that awful stand. Pretty much... it seems that if you push the PS5 in any way, it will rotate the stand and likely detach it from the PS5. This means you have to lift up the PS5, pull out the stand, rotate it back into place, and then shove it back onto the back (in between the PlayStation symbols).

FUN. o_O

Oh, and for a good "laugh at me" moment... I made the silly move to place my AppleTV right beside the exhaust for the Xbox Series X. Honestly, I didn't even think about it much other than "Oh, it fits right here... how handy!" I played maybe.. 20-30 minutes of Immortals: Fenyx Rising, and that poor little AppleTV felt like I just pulled it out of the oven!

I finally got my replacement back from Sony and set it up last night. I also place mine horizontally and the stand is horrible. Has a lovely locking mechanism when vertical but not so much the other way. Luckily my entertainment rack has an open shelf with a floating glass top that the TV sits on. I was able to move everything aside to get it setup. I can see why in your case it would be a hassle. Overall, the PS5 is comically big. To the point that it sticks out like a sore thumb and I will probably Plastidip the white panels a dark color.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

FUN. o_O

The stand is supposed to be screwed into the PS5.

Did you not screw yours in?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If you are using the ps5 vertically, make sure to screw the stand in. There is a small screw that sits in the stand when you rotate it in a vertical orientation. It is in a little crevice of the underside of the stand.

Horizontal, it just sits on the edges and sort of clips to the back. Mine is set up on a shelf horizontal under my tv. It almost reaches the top of the shelf too since the stand adds a bit of height but I don't touch it anyway. If it's horizontal, it can move a bit.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ah gotcha. I've only used it vertically and had to screw it in. I assumed it would screw in either way, but it makes sense that it doesn't horizontally since I don't see a screw hole on the right side of the PS5 when standing vertically lol.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I finally got my replacement back from Sony and set it up last night. I also place mine horizontally and the stand is horrible. Has a lovely locking mechanism when vertical but not so much the other way. Luckily my entertainment rack has an open shelf with a floating glass top that the TV sits on. I was able to move everything aside to get it setup. I can see why in your case it would be a hassle. Overall, the PS5 is comically big. To the point that it sticks out like a sore thumb and I will probably Plastidip the white panels a dark color.

My previous setup was actually somewhat like yours except it was more of a tempered glass tower that sat in the corner and connected to the wall-mounted TV. The problem is that cats don’t respect expensive equipment, and that’s doubly so for kittens that are teething still.

I am still a bit worried about the heat with this new setup. I do use two sets of AC Infinity fans to handle the two different compartments. At the bottom, I have a smaller, solid door compartment, which is where I have two UPSs and a network switch. The middle compartment, which has a glass door, contains the AVR, UHD Blu-ray player, XSX and PS5. The top compartment is where my HTPC, Nintendo Switch, Apple TV, and Logitech Harmony hub are located. It's an open-air compartment, so I'm not that worried about it. (Although, I may add an exhaust linked powered by the PC.)

Ah gotcha. I've only used it vertically and had to screw it in. I assumed it would screw in either way, but it makes sense that it doesn't horizontally since I don't see a screw hole on the right side of the PS5 when standing vertically lol.

Yeah, unfortunately, there's no way to secure it horizontally, and it moves very easily. Fortunately, I've gotten quite good at putting it back on without even looking!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, unfortunately, there's no way to secure it horizontally, and it moves very easily. Fortunately, I've gotten quite good at putting it back on without even looking!

2x double-sided strips of gecko tape, back to back and nestled between your PSV (or whatever you can imagine) and your TV stand should secure it just fine.

This stuff has been shown, by the original researchers and designers (Stanford research team), to securely wall-mount a 200lb+ Plasma TV--yes, vertically--in the way described above. (at least, so I have been told, haha)

Oh actually I was thinking of Geckskin--different group, from UMass

Not sure if the actual product is different in some way, maybe engineered for different purposes, but the TV-mounting story that I heard was about the Geckskin people.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
2x double-sided strips of gecko tape, back to back and nestled between your PSV (or whatever you can imagine) and your TV stand should secure it just fine.

I've never really worked with that stuff before. My concerns would be... does it leave a residue, and how easy is it to undo it?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I've never really worked with that stuff before. My concerns would be... does it leave a residue, and how easy is it to undo it?
no residue because it isn't an adhesive--it's a nanoscale printed setae based textile--so, billions of tiny little "tendrils" that simply through friction (so, van der whals forces piling up at an exponential scale because each of the billions of tendrils is its own single-molecule interaction) will grip a surface. and because it is sort of "one direction (imagine placing it a against a surface and just, as you slide it down, billions of tiny little fingers are now gripping that wall), it locks into place. Then you just tug it back up slightly, to remove it (right, because otherwise, a Gecko wouldn't be able to move, much less walk across walls and ceilings). The tolerable down force is almost limitless from a reasonable use-case scenario (see that video I linked about Geckskin to update it--they use it to hold 700lbs down force, lol). ....though that, might be something at a different tier of consumer access right now? I'm not sure, lol.

anyway, any product that uses this technology isn't going to leave or residue anywhere, and will be easy to work with, and reusable.

The Geckskin sound like an entirely different tier of product, though, as they claim to design it around the "skin, foot properties, muscle and tendons"--so everything that has perfectly evolved to make the gecko do what it does. They add further layers to the product beyond just the surface interaction (so, the nano-setae), to mimic the tension and strength of what the tendons and skin type and flexibility of the entire device (e.g: the gecko's foot) are doing. I think it also means it has greater tolerance for less-than-flat surfaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: repoman0

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
3080: check
5900X (x2): check
PS5: NOPE! And I’ve tried the most times for it vs the PC stuff by quite a bit. Seemed like a lot of people had luck at Best Buy yesterday. Hopefully it will become obtainable shortly before some of these 2021 games release.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
PS5: NOPE! And I’ve tried the most times for it vs the PC stuff by quite a bit. Seemed like a lot of people had luck at Best Buy yesterday. Hopefully it will become obtainable shortly before some of these 2021 games release.

I’ve been casually looking for one but it seems every time I hear about them being available to order somewhere I saw it too late lol. I’m not going crazy over it but if I happen to get one then so be it. I just don’t want the digital only version. I’ve got too much on my plate right now to play on the series x so I’m not sure I’d even have much time for the ps5 currently. I’m good with waiting if I have to.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I've played my PS5 maybe ~4 times for ~12 hours so far. My kiddos played a couple times more but for not that long.

With the remastered Spider Man I get one crash to the home screen each play session. One time it hard locked with a glitched screen and screaming audio until I got up and held the power button in.

I'm really enjoying the game and the, quick non-loading experience of the PS5 but not so much the stability of it. Compared to my Series X which might have 10x the use so far (Minecraft/Minecraft Dungeons) and fully functional Plex (which was broken on PS5 as of a couple weeks ago with quite a bit of content) it's crashed infinitely more.

That's an observation. I am not putting it in the trash or anything.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

I was able to get a 3080, 3090 at launch and then a 5950X recently. However, the PS5 was the luckiest to score. A random post somewhere about BB opening them up. Was able to get in their queue system and had it ordered for the week of Christmas.

I've played my PS5 maybe ~4 times for ~12 hours so far. My kiddos played a couple times more but for not that long.

With the remastered Spider Man I get one crash to the home screen each play session. One time it hard locked with a glitched screen and screaming audio until I got up and held the power button in.

I'm really enjoying the game and the, quick non-loading experience of the PS5 but not so much the stability of it. Compared to my Series X which might have 10x the use so far (Minecraft/Minecraft Dungeons) and fully functional Plex (which was broken on PS5 as of a couple weeks ago with quite a bit of content) it's crashed infinitely more.

That's an observation. I am not putting it in the trash or anything.

I've had a surprising number of crashes in my limited play time. Demon's Souls a couple times after not wanting to start initially. Immortals: Fynex Rising has crashed a good amount. COD and Spiderman have also had crashes.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
On the flip side, I have had zero crashes on my PS5. I've played Astro's Playroom to the point that I have collected every collectible in the game and then played Demon's Souls probably like 12 hours or so total. No crashes so far.

I have only played Gears 5 on my XSX in about 4 different sessions.

Neither console gets that much play time but my PS5 has more play time currently.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Wonder if crashes are related to the poor cooling of RAM as documented by Gamers Nexus?

Could be chip lottery issues... Some (many?) will have no problems, a few will.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
We'll see. I am going to change my power plan from sleeping when away to shutting off.

These things boot fast enough now - I always had issues with sleep mode over time on my other consoles, this seems to be the most foolproof way.

It takes the projector ~20 seconds to open and warm up so I am really losing nothing at this point.

We'll see if I get fewer crashes.

With Spider Man Remastered it is happening reliably at transitions from "cut scenes" to action, like after boss fights and the like. So... not ruling out software glitches really, but a remastered game like I expect to be fairly tight when it comes to stability. It's had a while to bake.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ah yeah one thing for me is that I power mine off all the time I never keep it in sleep mode.

And I haven't had any crashes.

Not saying it's related, but thought I'd just throw that out there.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Ah yeah one thing for me is that I power mine off all the time I never keep it in sleep mode.

And I haven't had any crashes.

Not saying it's related, but thought I'd just throw that out there.

It is the unfair comparison to my X, which after *terrible* experiences with previous Xboxs I do the shut down/turn it on routine with. It's only fair I give the PS5 the same blank slate, I guess.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've also not had any crashes on my ps5. I've played about 15hrs or more of demon souls, 13hrs of assassin's creed valhalla, only about 2hrs of miles morales, the rest of the titles have been ps4 games.

It could also be my routine. I always close out a game before I shut down or put it in sleep mode. I always shutdown the ps5 unless I need to use sleep mode to charge the controller or headset. That's the only time I actually use sleep mode.

Once again my ps5 is getting more time than my series X and but I only have immortals rising fenyx on the series x, mafia remake, and red dead 2 for xbox. Once another game I want to play on Xbox game pass comes out I'll activate one of my ultimate pass subscriptions.

Surprisingly the ps5 has been very quiet. I only ever hear it kick on the fans when it's been loading or installing a title, or loading a new area which mostly I've seen happen in demon souls after I've been playing it for a while.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My only issue with the PS5 right now is that (last I checked) it kept failing to download an update for Ghost of Tsushima. With the Series X, I've had Immortals freeze up on me three times, but that was about it.

It is the unfair comparison to my X, which after *terrible* experiences with previous Xboxs I do the shut down/turn it on routine with. It's only fair I give the PS5 the same blank slate, I guess.

I cringe at the idea of cold booting the Series X just due to how loud its start-up sound is.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
My only issue with the PS5 right now is that (last I checked) it kept failing to download an update for Ghost of Tsushima. With the Series X, I've had Immortals freeze up on me three times, but that was about it.

I cringe at the idea of cold booting the Series X just due to how loud its start-up sound is.

Really? Mine is silent, I mean fan wise, I'll listen next time I turn it on but I usually catch these things. I am not sure if I have ever really heard it outside of its crunching glass optical drive ;)

Oh wait, you mean the chime it plays? Haha, I think that between turning the TV on then the Receiver On then redirecting audio to the Receiver via ARC (eARC now, woo) I miss it. Shucks. It does make the chime with the internal speaker and that's enough for me to know things are cooking.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Oh wait, you mean the chime it plays? Haha, I think that between turning the TV on then the Receiver On then redirecting audio to the Receiver via ARC (eARC now, woo) I miss it. Shucks. It does make the chime with the internal speaker and that's enough for me to know things are cooking.

Yeah, for some reason, the start-up sound is far louder than everything else. I actually completely forgot about it until I turned the console off so I could swap entertainment centers.