Official Forza Motorsport 3 Thread - Game is OUT

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Oh, I don't know if this has been posted or not, figured I'd add it here just in case.

For those of you who like the cockpit view but find that it's way too close to the dashboard to be useful, here's a method to back the view out a decent amount:

ForzaCentral post

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Kabob
Oh, I don't know if this has been posted or not, figured I'd add it here just in case.

For those of you who like the cockpit view but find that it's way too close to the dashboard to be useful, here's a method to back the view out a decent amount:

ForzaCentral post

Another "the more you know post". Here is a list of cars that are given as gifts for each of the 50 levels.. In other words, don't buy them:

1. 2010 Fiat Abarth 500 esseesse
2. 2009 Alfa Romeo Brera Italia Independent
3. 2009 Volkswagen Scirocco GT
4. 2003 Ranault Sport Clio V6
5. 2009 Ford Focus RS
6. 2004 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
7. 2007 Ford Shelby GT500
8. 2008 Maserati GranTurismo
9. 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
10. 2006 Lotus Exige Cup 240
11. 2009 BMW Motorsport M5 E60
12. 2009 Lexus IS F
13. 2007 SEAT Leon Supercup
14. 2005 Honda NSX-R GT
15. 2009 Ferrari California
16. 2009 Jaguar XKR-S
17. 2002 BMW Motorsport M3-GTR
18. 2007 Peugeot Super 2000
19. 2007 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
20. 2010 Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro
21. 2005 Ford Ford GT
22. 2009 Mercedes SL 65 AMG Black Series
23. 2005 TVR Sagaris
24. 2008 Porsche 911 GT2 (997)
25. 2008 Lamborghini Reventon
26. 2002 Nissan MINE'S R34 Skyline GT-R
27. 2006 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano
28. 2006 Lamborghini Miura Concept
29. 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR
30. 2009 Bugatti Veyron 16.4
31. 2009 Holdon #2 Commodore VG
32. 2006 Ferrari #62 Risi Competizone F430GT
33. 2008 Porsche #45 Flying Lizard 911 GT3-RSR
34. 2009 BMW Motorsport #92 Rahal Letterman Racing M3 GT2
35. 2005 Ferrari FXX
36. 2007 Chevrolet #4 Corvette C6.R
37. 2008 Nissan #23 XANAVI NISMO GT-R
38. 2006 Aston Martin #007 Aston Martin Racing DBR9
39. 2008 Lexus #6 Eneos SC430
40. 2008 Konigsegg CCGT
41. 1997 McLaren #43 F1 GTR
42. 2005 Maserati #15 JMB Racing MC12
43. 1998 Porsche #26 AG 911 GT1-98
44. 2003 Saleen #2 Konrad Motorsports S7R
45. 2008 Porsche #7 Penske Racing RS Spyder Evo
46. 2009 Mazda #16 Dyson Racing B09/86
47. 2006 Audi #2 Audi Sport North America R8
48. 2009 Acura #66 de Ferran Motorsports ARX-02a
49. 2006 Audi #8 Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R10 TDi
50. 2009 Peugeot #9 Peugeot Sport Total 908

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
So I'm fairly new to the Xbox platform, being a PC gamer for many years. I didn't play Forza 2 much - maybe a total of 10 hours? I bought Forza 3, and I've got to say it's A LOT like Forza 2. The graphics are a minor tweak, the audio is just as flat, the in-car dashboard is new but is low res and dull (and the driver magically changes gears without moving his hands). I'm pretty sure that after roughly 5 hours of play I havent raced on any tracks that weren't in Forza 2.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this game and would rate it a good 7/10, but I don't understand all the love for it. There are other issues too, like:
- Money is too easy to earn - I have more money than I know what to do with.

- Even though I hardly play any racing games, the game/handling is FAR too easy with none of the assists on and the difficulty on the hardest. I rarely come below first place.

- Upgrading is boring because it's unrealistic - as far as I can tell the upgrades aren't complementary to each other, but just a set increase in power/traction/etc.

- The AI is incredibly unrealistic - why do they ram right into me all the time? Can't they drive evasively/think? Also they NEVER yield, which often forces crashes where they should be penalised.

The game is fine and all, but it's sorely overrated, and they claim all over the box that's it's the most realistic simulator etc etc, which is complete bullshit. Am I alone here?

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
If you "hardly ever" play racing games and you're still winning easily with the assists off, you're either running a much better car than the AI (which is what I have to do to win :p) or you're just freakishly good at racing games. With all assists off, the game is pretty unforgiving unless you're driving properly.

I agree with you about the upgrade system, though. At least they do a good job of modeling torque and hp curves instead of just setting a number (camshafts and turbos especially).

I disagree about the money - if I didn't have enough money to play around and do pretty much anything I wanted, I would not be having as much fun.

How often is the AI hitting you? I'd say 98% of my collisions are caused by me doing something dumb - I'd almost say the AI is too scared of initiating contact.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
So I'm fairly new to the Xbox platform, being a PC gamer for many years. I didn't play Forza 2 much - maybe a total of 10 hours? I bought Forza 3, and I've got to say it's A LOT like Forza 2. The graphics are a minor tweak, the audio is just as flat, the in-car dashboard is new but is low res and dull (and the driver magically changes gears without moving his hands). I'm pretty sure that after roughly 5 hours of play I havent raced on any tracks that weren't in Forza 2.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this game and would rate it a good 7/10, but I don't understand all the love for it. There are other issues too, like:
- Money is too easy to earn - I have more money than I know what to do with.

- Even though I hardly play any racing games, the game/handling is FAR too easy with none of the assists on and the difficulty on the hardest. I rarely come below first place.

- Upgrading is boring because it's unrealistic - as far as I can tell the upgrades aren't complementary to each other, but just a set increase in power/traction/etc.

- The AI is incredibly unrealistic - why do they ram right into me all the time? Can't they drive evasively/think? Also they NEVER yield, which often forces crashes where they should be penalised.

The game is fine and all, but it's sorely overrated, and they claim all over the box that's it's the most realistic simulator etc etc, which is complete bullshit. Am I alone here?

yup, my experience was almost opposite of yours with the exception being the poor interior view on the R class cars. But I almost never use that view because I need the whole screen to be competitive.

There are many new tracks in Forza 3, there are several new or brought back endurance race tracks (Fujima, Rallie, Spa), several nice fantasy tracks (sedona, benchmark, and those european ones in the demo), and new real life track like that spanish one that wasn't in any of Forza 2. There are even 3 more oval tracks for your rocket cars. You might not have realized but when the game begins the first few E class races were running solely on new tracks.

The audio is another improvement for me, now I actually hears the engine breathing instead of just grunt. Try a few naturally aspired engine like the ferarri and some porsches and you will see what I am talking about. in Forza 2 they are all high pitch whines but in 3 there's also sound of air being passing through them.

The upgrading is different, I see that the classes seems to be more restrictive, resulting in slower lap time, however because now you can select individual front and rear sway bar and wheel width, you have a lot more option to build the car within the limits. I am unsure what you mean by compliment each other. The only thing that seems to be unrealistic is the choice of tire compound and maybe the 4X4 Viper. Otherwise it is as good as ever.

Also may I ask what class you race in? The first few levels are very easy even with AI at hard setting. However when I get to B and above I have to start to build my car based on the track to my advantage to win. I am running at A class world champ right now and have to rebuild my car on a few of the tracks, more than I was used to in Forza 2, which I can dominate by running a grip car and get to the front early then start to block. There are a few drunk driving AI in the game, however they are not podium drivers, the first 2 will stay on the best line, so you have to nudge them or forces them to break by taking the inside lane, but they will not hit you once you passed them, unless you do something stupid like trying to cut them off when they were actually half way passing you. And by the way, they DO drive evasively, you can tell by driving a car with much acceleration but not much top speed on an oval track. I could block every one of them as they tried to pass me and they would break to avoid rear end me.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
I Love this game!!! Crap I just paid 320k for a Reventon last night and I'm level 22 so I would have gotten one free tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully I can make my money back

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
If you "hardly ever" play racing games and you're still winning easily with the assists off, you're either running a much better car than the AI (which is what I have to do to win :p) or you're just freakishly good at racing games. With all assists off, the game is pretty unforgiving unless you're driving properly.

Not true - this game is incredibly easy so far. I don't know what you mean by "unless you're driving properly" - of course I'm driving "properly", so I'm not sure what your point is.

Also may I ask what class you race in? The first few levels are very easy even with AI at hard setting. However when I get to B and above I have to start to build my car based on the track to my advantage to win.

I've just started some B class races, and I'm still getting an easy first palce every time.

There are a few drunk driving AI in the game, however they are not podium drivers, the first 2 will stay on the best line, so you have to nudge them or forces them to break by taking the inside lane, but they will not hit you once you passed them, unless you do something stupid like trying to cut them off when they were actually half way passing you. And by the way, they DO drive evasively, you can tell by driving a car with much acceleration but not much top speed on an oval track. I could block every one of them as they tried to pass me and they would break to avoid rear end me.

I don't "nudge" them - that's another stupid thing about this game. You shouldn't be able to get away with "nudging" your way around, but this game has no mechanism (flags, penalties) to prevent you doing it. Also, the damage penalty is so small it doesn't matter, especially considering all the bank I pull in from winning races with no assists. Banging into other cars shouldn't be an effective way of winning a race in a "realistic" game.

Also, I have lost count of the number of times the AI has plowed into my car behind the B pillar after I've passed them. The AI is extremely aggressive and doesn't seem to do anything to avoid a collision, even if they have plenty of room. They refuse to yield once passed and have no problem causing me to spin on the next corner.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Mike, if you don't think Forza 3 is realistic, please tell us what game is. Also, I think you are just hating on this game for no reason. Everything you are saying, pretty much everyone on this forum will disagree with for the most part. I'm not entirely sure you are actually playing Forza 3, maybe you're playing Need for Speed or something.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Mike, if you don't think Forza 3 is realistic, please tell us what game is. Also, I think you are just hating on this game for no reason. Everything you are saying, pretty much everyone on this forum will disagree with for the most part. I'm not entirely sure you are actually playing Forza 3, maybe you're playing Need for Speed or something.

I'm not hating on the game - I'm enjoying the game a lot, though I'm hoping it gets a lot harder. But I'm also not a sycophant , and this game isn't without its faults. And there are penty of more realistic games than this one - the SimBin games, TOCA games (not sure what they're called in the USA, they have regional titles - it's V8 Supercars 3 etc here). GRiD obviously isn't realistic, but had damage modelling that is WAY ahead of this game's.

The game is a lot fo fun, and the major enjoyment comes from all of the content. But it's NOT realistic, and isn't what I would call a "sim", which is what is on the packaging. I mean FFS as far as I can tell it isn't even compatible with any good wheels? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is the case, don't your think it's a little rich trying to claim it's realistic when you're having to use a pad or cheapo wheel?

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
you can use the MS wheel which is basically crap, but not as much so as generic cheapy wheels. or be lucky enough to have a working, complete fanatec wheel. they desperately need to support logitech's line of wheels, from the DFP (or whatever it's currently called) up to the G25/27. but they won't, probably because microsoft and logitech traditionally compete in the peripherals market, and MS, well, are dicks.

i don't see how you can't call this a sim. the driving physics are more accurately modeled than, well, about anything. i highly doubt GTR or TOCA have anything approaching it. just because they feel artificially harder (i.e. impossible to play without a wheel and still difficult with) doesn't mean they're more accurate.

i must say that i am very impressed by the driving in this game. i don't care that codemasters has had better damage modelling since the colin mcrae games, or that PGR and TDU have better interiors. the actual experience of driving if effing great, and very nuanced. if you're used to playing racing sims on the PC with a wheel and are going to a console games with a controller, well, yeah, you're probably going to dislike it at first if not indefinitely.

oh, and i think you need to look up 'sycophant.'

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
oh, and i think you need to look up 'sycophant.'

??? A sycophant is a fawning follower, a brown nosing butt licker, like many Forza fans. I'm not sure what your dictionary says about it - did you buy your dictionary from Xbox Live by chance? That could be your problem.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
a sycophant is someone who flatters others for personal gain. i fail to see how that made any sense in the context that you used it.

and yeah, i'm obviously such an oblivious loyal microsoft follower. :rolleyes:

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
a sycophant is someone who flatters others for personal gain. i fail to see how that made any sense in the context that you used it.

and yeah, i'm obviously such an oblivious loyal microsoft follower. :rolleyes:

'grats on googling define:sycophant. However, one day you may realise that Google is NOT a replacement for a good unabridged dictionary, and you will keep one on hand at all times. I'm afraid your define:sycophant definition inadequately defines the word.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I hit level 40 last night. I'm amazed by how much better the stock cars handle this time around. I did the Ferrari F355 Challenge championship where you have to use a bone stock 355 Challenge, the thing handled almost as well as alot of my tuned cars from FM2 (granted, in real life it's a purpose built race car which makes sense).

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006

ForzaCentral post

Thanks for posting this, it definitely makes driving in cockpit view a lot better and more fun. I thought it was odd that you couldn't completely see your rear view mirror...

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
'grats on googling define:sycophant. However, one day you may realise that Google is NOT a replacement for a good unabridged dictionary, and you will keep one on hand at all times. I'm afraid your define:sycophant definition inadequately defines the word.

go back to middle school pls.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Both of you get out of middle school and stop arguing over something so trivial...

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
i'm not the one trying to impress people with my vocabulary and failing miserably.

i'm more than willing to actually talk about the game, because as stated, it's quite excellent.

anyone have favorite cars yet? i'm digging on the f-bodies, and in general, all the old cheap RWD cars. i've yet to build one that wasn't only fun as hell, but very controllable. the old VW's are also pimp, i've got an AWD mk2 golf that's a C class dominator. the way in which i've gotten it to hold turns is insane- it tries so hard to grip that i've actually barrel rolled it like crazy through a few turns...maybe i should soften the springs up a tad.

at this point, AWD conversions are pretty much like cheating. T10 needs to do some balancing tweaks.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I LOVE this game... the tire noise is so much more telling than it was in Forza 2. And the in car view... love it! Some of the interiors look pretty shitty, but I'm not looking at the details while I'm driving so not a big deal I guess. What I like is seeing the steering wheel, tach, roof pillars, etc.

They did pretty good with the reflections on the road, too. There are some spots with the sun at low angles where you're coming up a hill blind, just as you'd be in reality.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
i'm not the one trying to impress people with my vocabulary and failing miserably.

i'm more than willing to actually talk about the game, because as stated, it's quite excellent.

anyone have favorite cars yet? i'm digging on the f-bodies, and in general, all the old cheap RWD cars. i've yet to build one that wasn't only fun as hell, but very controllable. the old VW's are also pimp, i've got an AWD mk2 golf that's a C class dominator. the way in which i've gotten it to hold turns is insane- it tries so hard to grip that i've actually barrel rolled it like crazy through a few turns...maybe i should soften the springs up a tad.

at this point, AWD conversions are pretty much like cheating. T10 needs to do some balancing tweaks.

yup AWD pretty much kills everything in Forza 2 as well, barring some long straight tracks. I built a R34 and without any time to tune it yet, it's a good 2 seconds faster on mugello than the Cayman, which I had spent the better part of 2 days after work tuning it to run on silverstone.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
i dunno, it didn't seem so bad in forza2. it was an issue, but mostly only at takeoff.

i mean, this C class golf i have will spank top end B classes. i've got quite the A class firebird, and it has about the same 0-60 and top speed, only the golf can beat it in the corners. it's nuts.

joutlaw

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2008
Are there any sites yet that have the tuning suggestions? I remember Forza 2 had a site where you could plug in the engine type/drive type wieght etc... and it would give you a basis to tune by.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I don't know of any tuning calculators for Forza 3 yet, although it wouldn't surprise me if the Forza 2 calculator would at least get you close.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Hyundai Genesis Coupe coming as free DLC on 11/17. It will come in three versions, Rhys Millen Racing Red Bull Hundai Genesis Coupe, an HKS Genesis Coupe, and a "one of a kind" Genesis Coupe.

via Joystiq

fm3headerimghyundaicoupe.jpg

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
I found the forza 2 calculator tend to make everything understeers. One thing i've noticed is that stiffer spring in forza 3 seems to work a lot better than in forza 2, where i like every car to be mushy. Because of that reworked physics i do find the default tune accepable in Forza 3.