Official Forza Motorsport 3 Thread - Game is OUT

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Wasn't the 2009 #9 Patrón Highcroft Racing ARX-02a supposed to be in this game? I saw the #66 De Ferran ARX-02a, but not the Patrón Highcroft car.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Wasn't the 2009 #9 Patrón Highcroft Racing ARX-02a supposed to be in this game? I saw the #66 De Ferran ARX-02a, but not the Patrón Highcroft car.

Yes it was, I noticed that as well. Probably some sort of licensing issue.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
One thing i've noticed is that stiffer spring in forza 3 seems to work a lot better than in forza 2, where i like every car to be mushy. Because of that reworked physics i do find the default tune accepable in Forza 3.

i've noticed this, as well. default tunes are typically much more acceptable, with fewer cars needing tweaks for lower powered setups. once you start getting into A class and higher, though, you'll need to do some tuning to be at your best.

the first thing to do is identify what's 'wrong' with the car- if you can't point your finger at something, don't mess with it. the most typical thing that i do is simply tune the sway bars and springs to soften or stiffen the suspension and control under/oversteer.

stiffer springs definately help. maxing those and the sway bars and keeping the car totally flat can help for sure, but you end up getting airborne off the smallest bumps (great way to get epic rollovers, though), and you'll be screwed on anything that has an elevation change during a turn.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I'm really enjoying the game as well. It is a blast and I love the variety in the cars, coming from Forza 2.

I'm only up to level 5 or 6 or so as a driver, but the races generally seem ridiculously easy. I generally choose a vehicle or upgrade it to match the lead driver, maybe I should aim a little lower.

I was reading about tuning as well and the experts at Forza forums are working on it. So far it seems the springs like to be about 20% stiffer than Forza 2, but nothing official yet. Also it seems the scale for damping is different - some of my Forza2 tunes had damping figures in the 16 range, yet Forza 3 maxes out at 12.

I also came across a website with lots of good reading on auto tuning in general, as well as Forza: http://diy-racetuning.net/

BTW I'm really digging the rewind feature. Altho I've not really needed it yet, it will be a life saver on the more difficult, longer races that will come later. I hate getting towards the end of a challenging race and punting it to just have to start over.

And I'm still a little miffed at them putting such sweet cars in the LCE. Oh well, money is spent.

Last edited:

chorb

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'm really enjoying the game as well. It is a blast and I love the variety in the cars, coming from Forza 2.

I'm only up to level 5 or 6 or so as a driver, but the races generally seem ridiculously easy. I generally choose a vehicle or upgrade it to match the lead driver, maybe I should aim a little lower.

Turn up the difficulty and the assists off (keep ABS on, unless you reallllly like pulling your hair out), I guarantee you'll not be thinking things are easy anymore.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Turn up the difficulty and the assists off (keep ABS on, unless you reallllly like pulling your hair out), I guarantee you'll not be thinking things are easy anymore.
Forgot to mention I have no assists on but ABS (and technically I have manual w/NO clutch shifting). I didn't realize there was a "difficulty" setting within the game, other than assists...

chorb

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
Forgot to mention I have no assists on but ABS (and technically I have manual w/NO clutch shifting). I didn't realize there was a "difficulty" setting within the game, other than assists...

The difference from Easy to Medium isn't bad, If you dominate easy, you'll dominate medium too.

Medium to Hard is analogous to wrestling with your brother in the backyard then being thrown into a olympic greco-roman wrestling match with a 350lb dude named Igor.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
yeah, hard ups the ante quite a bit. i've settled for medium with assists off. it's a little challenging in RWD cars, but AWD is still blatant buttrape.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
to be frank, the easiest way to win this game is to get in the front early and start to block the other cars, in anything through S, because you can tune your car however you wanted, it is very easy to win. In forza 2, it gets much harder once you get into R classes because then all the cars are the same. now with the stock cars and super duper rare cars in the game, im not sure if R2 and 3 will be the same. maybe in R1 you will meet some challenges.

state 08

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2005
I freakin love the game, but what kinda disappoints me is that even though Drifting is an aspect of the game, at no time does the Game show you how to drift or give any kind of tutorial. Kinda left to find out for yourself - which is no big deal, but wish they had something ingame.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Well I finally saw the Difficulty option and I had it on Medium. Putting it on Hard took the fun away from the game. I like a challenge, but having to worry about being 100% perfect isn't much fun for me. I turned it back down to Medium and started spanking everyone again. Rather I just try to race with a slightly downlevel car and go from there, so it's not a total beating.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
if you turn ABS and and traction off and race powerful RWD cars you should have enough challenge.

if you're using AWD cars (or even some FWD) there's a little less finesse required and you tend to spank the AI...even if they themselves have it.

i was pretty disappointed when i raped equally rated S60R's with a C30 in the swede races. don't know how they didn't walk on me (much like my modified S60 does to anything not AWD in its class).

as i've already said, the PI needs tweaking. mods just aren't properly reflected.

state 08

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2005
Well I finally saw the Difficulty option and I had it on Medium. Putting it on Hard took the fun away from the game. I like a challenge, but having to worry about being 100% perfect isn't much fun for me. I turned it back down to Medium and started spanking everyone again. Rather I just try to race with a slightly downlevel car and go from there, so it's not a total beating.

I do that as well. I make sure my car level is in the middle between all the AI's cars.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Booo. So much for "free." I got an XBLG trial with MW2 that I was going to use over Thanksgiving break, I'll get this and the other "free" stuff from T10 then.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
It may be just me, but I feel like very little has actually changed from Forza 2: ~30 new cars, a few more tracks, new menu, and the little paint app for vinyls, but everything else feels exactly the same.

I don't know, I guess I expected more. The cockpit view is fairly terrible, but it's better than nothing.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
I think the new cars are great myself. I only got into Forza 2 late last year and was looking forward to sweet new cars like the Corvette ZR1 and Audi R8 (don't get me started on the LCE-only cars crap). The graphics are improved, but I don't notice it as much since I'm focused on racing and not on the eye candy ;)

So I guess I just got used to the Hard difficulty setting in SP, because I am now driving competitively and having far less trouble winning races. I have every difficulty setting maxed with the only two aids being ABS and clutchless-manual shifting. (Using a regular wireless controller btw)

I tried playing the S Class World Championship with an upgraded (S700) ZR1, but man its just not even possible against the Veyron. To try and make it competitive you have to add a good amount of power and even with all handling/grip aids (full susp, max tires, full aero) its tricky to control. I made the gears a bit taller and that helped, but then when you get on a straightaway the Veyron just leaps away.

I gave up and not long after leveled up enough that I got the Veyron. I also got the Viper ACR. I'd like to beat the Veyron with something other than another Veyron, so we'll see. Anyone have a similar experience?

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
the ACR is a S class leaderboard car on almost every track. it grips a whole lot without tire mods, you shouldn't have a trouble winning races with it.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
i assume you are talking about sedona, i haven't tried but i reckon the viper can hold up there because how nice it turns. in road america and motegi though, i will be running a rocket reventon.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
It's not Sedona, but I do love that track. I just googled a bit, I'm actually thinking of Sebring. I hate Sebring - my kryptonite, I swear.