**OFFICIAL** Diablo 3 Thread

Page 491 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
Ladders, no more auction houses...

Looks like Blizzard is waking up to the reality that the game bombed and are taking it back in the direction that worked.

May actually start playing this again if these new changes all pan out and they manage to fix this current disaster of a game.

All they need is loot 2.0 to fix everything. Just redo the loot. I actually like the AHs.

Ladder idea is "meh" to me and the only reason it is going to work now is because they are getting rid of the AH. Now we get to see item spam link in trade chat from third party sites !!!

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
All they need is loot 2.0 to fix everything. Just redo the loot. I actually like the AHs.

Ladder idea is "meh" to me and the only reason it is going to work now is because they are getting rid of the AH. Now we get to see item spam link in trade chat from third party sites !!!

As if them spamming gold selling sites isn't bad enough.

I can't wait for this concept to fail so utterly hard. All the "hardcore" D2 players will still play, but the vast majority of casuals will drop the game. The demographic of gamers today don't want to farm 1000 hours for something. Instant gratification is what drives them.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Well auction houses will be gone on March 18, therefore I will finally buy the game on March 19. Hopefully there will be an expansion announcement before then. :)

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Why would you no longer play if the AH is gone? Obviously the loot system will be adapted to not needing the AH, so people go back to actually FINDING drops instead of BUYING drops. I'm also guessing they'll somehow incorporate "trade channels".

Excellent job, Blizzard.

Because I don't want to have to deal with finding just the right item I want (never worked in D2 for me lol) or trading directly with other people because most other people are completely retarded when it comes to money. They've got the most piece of shit version of their legendary around and want the world for it.

Not to mention I won't be able to reach even a fraction of the audience I could get at through the auction house so the chance of me having the item someone wants and that person having the item I want drops dramatically because I'm no longer dealing with a player pool of millions of people browsing the auction house, but rather the... tens of people actually in the same trade channel as me at the same time. Not having a central, safe, efficient hub for business is incredibly archaic.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
As if them spamming gold selling sites isn't bad enough.

I can't wait for this concept to fail so utterly hard. All the "hardcore" D2 players will still play, but the vast majority of casuals will drop the game. The demographic of gamers today don't want to farm 1000 hours for something. Instant gratification is what drives them.

I don't play D3 "yet so take this with a grain of salt, but I presume there will be drop rate adjustments to compensate for the lack of an AH.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I work a lot with a wife and three kids. My time on D3 is not that much but I manage to get on late when people are asleep. I like the AH because I can buy whatever I am unable to find. This is a hobby to me that I can spend money on and make money from. I enjoyed that part of it as well and now that is going to be gone.

The last few achievements (at 4470 achievement points) and paragon 100 (just dinged 93) are all I am shooting for and then I am going to chill on my Monk and second Barb (swapping gear to her).

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
^I am in the similar boat time wise, I just don't have a wife or kids. I enjoy playing D3, but I don't enjoy constantly having to farm for upgrades. I use the AH as a means to get upgrades I otherwise wouldn't find, and since I am good at the buying / reselling games (learned from helping ruin many MMO economies) I can afford to do that.

Without the AH, I have no desire to upgrade gear (nor any means) and with the big changes, I have no desire to even continue with those characters. I imagine my monk will largely still be decent and my CM Wiz isn't getting any nerfs, but I enjoy my barb more than any other character.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
AH is definitely what ruined the game in the first place, but I don't know if taking it out now is going to help anything or if it's too late.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
wait they are removeing the AH now? lol thats is gonna piss off nearly as many people as were pissed off by it being there in the first place

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
And the rise of gold / loot sellers continues!

Blizzard is going to lose a lot of people if they close the AH down. Nobody is going to want to go back to not being able to farm Inferno and spend 100 hours in Hell to just be able to do Inferno. This will destroy the community.

Obviously the drop rates will be changed to mirror the lack of an auction house.

Destroy the community? There is no community. It is just numbers on an anonymous auction house. The AH stopped any community from forming.

Bizarre. They get rid of the AH and I'll never play again lol.

Weird. I don't see why? The AH ruined the the core of the game, as poeple have warned since the beginning, and now the devs are starting to realize it too.

I'm considering buying the expansion now.

Also, without the AH, you lose the ability to actually make money required for the awful gold sinks in the game (crafting and gems). Good luck picking up that 100 mil you need to make a Marquise gem. Good luck farming enough gold and materials to craft anything worthwhile.

Gold sinks can be easily balanced for a lack of AH. Either drop more gold or require less gold to do stuff.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

Looks like Blizzard is waking up to the reality that the game bombed and are taking it back in the direction that worked.

May actually start playing this again if these new changes all pan out and they manage to fix this current disaster of a game.

Same

The AH caused more farming in D3 than there ever was in D2. You farmed, farmed, and farmed for hours upon hours and never found squat. Meanwhile in D2, you could effectly farm and find decent gear - gear that could get you through the game.

This is actually easier IMO, since when you play you will find your own items. Sure, the best of the best will be extremely rare and you won't find it on your own, but the average player will be able to find their own gear and complete the game.

Not having a central, safe, efficient hub for business is incredibly archaic.

You say archaic, I say soulful. So many aspects of D3 felt cold and lifeless, and the AH was the largest offender. Having to talk to people to trade fosters an actual community.

Hopefully they enable something like web-based trading. forums where you can post your inventory and initiate trades with other players online.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
AH is definitely what ruined the game in the first place, but I don't know if taking it out now is going to help anything or if it's too late.

wait they are removeing the AH now? lol thats is gonna piss off nearly as many people as were pissed off by it being there in the first place

Yeah, I personally think it is a step towards a better game but they are basically flipping the bird to the current players to try to attract all the players that left D3/never bought it in the first place.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
Yeah, I personally think it is a step towards a better game but they are basically flipping the bird to the current players to try to attract all the players that left D3/never bought it in the first place.

Around a 90% drop in people playing your game that purchased it will make you rethink what you are doing.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Funny thing about so many people liking the console is all the hate at the pc release for things that seemed limited/designed to be able to release a console version.

Hmm, are the any use the AH achievements, I'll have to get those before it is gone. :)

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Around a 90% drop in people playing your game that purchased it will make you rethink what you are doing.

The ultimate in speculative hyperbole. There is zero real world evidence to show that they would loose 10% let alone 90%. If anything, there appears to be more support for killing the AH, even from people who previously thought AH was a good idea. They might loose some people, but honestly if people who really like the game leave just because they can't buy items in the AH seems kinda strange...almost like a temper tantrum. Then again, I forget that many of the posts that populate these threads are also oddly complimentary to temper tantrums.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
removeing the AH is going to move all the selling of items to real money and to shady websites just like in D2 unless they make everything bind to account

the gold AH at least was usable if you got lucky and got a good item you could sell it and buy other items

not anymore

i guess you may see a rise in trading as well. and TBH thats how most people got gear in D2, sure there were lots of hours of doing bael runs but most items got traded for, find a shako or 6 socket axe that was etheral and you were fing golden

Last edited:

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The ultimate in speculative hyperbole. There is zero real world evidence to show that they would loose 10% let alone 90%. If anything, there appears to be more support for killing the AH, even from people who previously thought AH was a good idea. They might loose some people, but honestly if people who really like the game leave just because they can't buy items in the AH seems kinda strange...almost like a temper tantrum. Then again, I forget that many of the posts that populate these threads are also oddly complimentary to temper tantrums.

I think he was saying that 90% of players left since launch, hence them revisiting the AH idea.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005

I agree 100%. I'll start playing again when the changes come.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Stock up on gems, I see them being valuable by a great deal. If you plan on a Crusader by at least 6 Radiant Star Rubies.

It looks like no RoS for me either. Come on PS4 !!!

With that, I am done supporting Blizzard.

I disagree, with the crusader passive that adds 34 All Res for each gem of different color plus another 34 all res for 5 different gems, that's incredibly powerful, basically 204 all res vs 310 main stat?

Without the AH we aren't going to be able to just load up the Auction House and find all our favor stats plus All Res, Vit, etc. It's much easier to just pick up items with high dps rolls and then use the gem passive for all res.

IMO you should get 1 gem of each type xD

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005

These numbers are from Blizzard. They sold 12 million plus copies and have 1 million unique daily logins. They have 3 million monthly unique logins but that could be people just checking on something for 15 minutes then logging off. The real number to look at is the 1 million as they are your consistent players. That is a huge drop off for a Blizzard game. They are notorious for making addictive games that keep a rabid fan base. I seriously doubt shareholders are pleased with that number as well as the higher ups.

Another way to look at it is you may only sell 3-4 million expansion copies and they want profits, so fix it.

If that is the case I apologize to Adrenaline.

No worries. That should explain it further. The numbers can be found online.

Last edited:

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I disagree, with the crusader passive that adds 34 All Res for each gem of different color plus another 34 all res for 5 different gems, that's incredibly powerful, basically 204 all res vs 310 main stat?

Without the AH we aren't going to be able to just load up the Auction House and find all our favor stats plus All Res, Vit, etc. It's much easier to just pick up items with high dps rolls and then use the gem passive for all res.

IMO you should get 1 gem of each type xD

I would still stock up on gems as the AH is going away. Gold is going to become useless except for removing marquise gems. You may as well stockpile something that will retain some significance. Like one poster here said he had 15 billion gold. I have 2.5 billion gold. I am going to gear out my monk and play it some.

Trade 2 radiant stars of any gem for 1 radiant star diamond.

Last edited: