**OFFICIAL** Diablo 3 Thread

Page 486 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
How many were worth using?

i found 4 of those stupid 1h set xbox this morning
and another usless skorn

I found like my 15th EF last night. Still have yet to roll one with a socket or higher than 1050 damage. Loot itemization patch can't get here soon enough.

I dinged 88 last night as well.

Last edited:

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I've got a lvl 60 Barb (zero paragon), a lvl 60 WD (5 paragon), and a lvl 53 DH. I haven't played in months, but thought about trying things out for a bit. I have barely over half a million in my stash. I don't plan on using the RM AH at all, and I will likely only solo.

Which character is going to serve me best for now?

Barb

TheFamilyMan

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2003
Last week alone I've found the following:

4 manticores - all junk...none above 1k dps, 1 with 2 sockets but no redeeming qualities other than that

3 echoing furies - all junk...one above 1k dps but with no redeeming qualities

2 chantodo's wands - junk, junk, junk

10 or so maximus, hellrack, needler, etc - won't even say these were all junk as that would be insulting to junk

Edit: forgot to mention the armor drops...it's getting to the point now that even when a green item is sitting there on my screen begging to be picked up, I'm actually hesitating as there is only a .0000001% chance that anything will be worthwhile anymore.

Can someone on my friends list take a look at my monk and give me some good input on upping DPS...looking for a substantial boost here of 30k +...I've got around 2b that I can (will) put into him...sitting at close to 5k armor (if I remember correctly) and 650 resists with 46k HP...

Last edited:

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
Can't wait for this expansion, pretty much a ladder reset, I hope all the idiots who spent hundreds of dollars in the GAH are pissed because they wasted their money on duped items worth nothing now.

Anyway, I want to get all 10 guys to 60 and I need some hardcore partners to level, let me know if anyone is interested.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
no
im not kidding. pretty sure there have been blue posts about the mystic and its ability to update or reroll gear at some cost

TheFamilyMan

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2003
what!? are you kidding?

I believe it's only going to be the damage stat line(s). The damage range, black and/or elemental damages...

I don't think you'll be able to fiddle with the + stat rolls to Dex/Vit/Str/Intel/Atk spd/CC/CD/etc...I could be wrong though...

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
I mean that is fine if it makes the gear usable at 70, but I hope it doesn't give them end game stat rolls, that would just be ridiculous.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I am just looking forward to having the ability to change armor. Some of the stuff looks awful. =( Shoulders, I am looking at you!

TheFamilyMan

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2003
Oh, and that crap better not cost an arm and a leg to reroll stats either...as long as we've had to put up with this #*$%%$ loot system, they better make it damn affordable...and not completely random like the crap we've been fed so far.

Blizzard has one chance with this expansion for me...after the spoonful of fecal matter they fed us with D3 at launch, this expansion better make me leave a snail trail in my chair...

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I am just looking forward to having the ability to change armor. Some of the stuff looks awful. =( Shoulders, I am looking at you!

shoulders (depending on which) are not nearly as bad as not being able to dye legendaries

my barb looks pretty damn silly with innas pants and ice climbers

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I bought Depth Diggers for the sole reason they looked better than the rare pants I had on my barb. I wear Vile Wards on my Wizard and Monk because of how bad the shoulders look. =(

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah, vanity is one of my faults. You couldn't imagine the amount of time I spent this weekend in Saints Row 4 making sure my character looked perfect and then spent running between clothing shops getting stuff that matches my gun color. =(

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
Can't wait for this expansion, pretty much a ladder reset, I hope all the idiots who spent hundreds of dollars in the GAH are pissed because they wasted their money on duped items worth nothing now.

Anyway, I want to get all 10 guys to 60 and I need some hardcore partners to level, let me know if anyone is interested.

I did my last five characters to 60 last week. Back on my Barb (dinged 89 last night) and have been jumping in games with others (Anubis from here and a few others I know).

My hardcore Barb is level 52 but want someone to play with as I lag some times. I will be busy for the next two weeks working days but I get more free time working nights.

Adrenaline#1529

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
no
im not kidding. pretty sure there have been blue posts about the mystic and its ability to update or reroll gear at some cost

Yeah, but I don't think that means you can turn an ilvl 63 item into an ilvl 70 item. I think it just lets you re-roll a stat within the range allowed by the item.

So if something can roll 100-200 dex and you have one at 125, you can re-roll and get 190 dex.

I also hear that this will cost gems, with better gems ensuring a higher roll.

It might be smart to buy a mid-dps manticore with 2 sockets, low dex, low AS, low CD, and low dmg% now. It'll be pretty cheap. You could possibly re-roll all those stats to turn it into something awesome.

I dunno if it will allow you to re-roll which affixes you get (ie, I don't know if you can turn thorns into CC for example)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah, but I don't think that means you can turn an ilvl 63 item into an ilvl 70 item. I think it just lets you re-roll a stat within the range allowed by the item.

So if something can roll 100-200 dex and you have one at 125, you can re-roll and get 190 dex.

It might be smart to buy a mid-dps manticore with 2 sockets, low dex, low AS, low CD, and low dmg% now. It'll be pretty cheap. You could possibly re-roll all those stats to turn it into something awesome.

I dunno if it will allow you to re-roll which affixes you get (ie, I don't know if you can turn thorns into CC for example)

Wasn't there something about it being account bound after that? I believe I recall reading that.

Mantle

Aug 5, 2004
From blue posts

The way enchanting works right now (which, bear in mind, may change as we continue internal testing and receive feedback) is that you'd get to choose which affix you re-roll. So the process would be something like:

visit Mystic --> select affix to re-roll --> get randomly-generated list of new affixes --> chose single affix from list --> pay material cost --> old affix replaced with new affix --> profit. The plan, at the moment at least, is to make an item account-bound if it's enchanted.

One small correction to what Lylirra said earlier. You pay the costs before you see the randomly generated enchanting options.

We're still tinkering with the actual costs and mechanics, as well as some remaining niggly details (like can you re-roll the same affix over and over? should the costs scale with each affix you re-roll? if yes, how much? etc) which is why we haven't done a grand reveal of the Mystic just yet.

Hey that's cool, instead of just a direct reroll of some crap affix then stuck with a worse item like 'why did I ever do this..' you'll be selecting your own fate? Sweet, now the devs are using their thinking caps when it comes to items!

We'll see how everything pans out, but that's just the current thinking. As with all features in game development, it's very likely enchanting will undergo some changes before it ships (for various reasons: feedback, technical issues, balance issues, etc). I just wanted to share an idea of how this particular service of the Mystic might feel and maybe even generate some discussion on the topic. :)

i'd like to learn more about the "randomly generated list of new affixes". What will they include?

No details to share right now! I'm totally going to be "that guy" and encourage you to stay tuned. (I know, I know. At least I didn't drop a "soon," right? :p)

Does anyone know if you can upgrade your item levels with the Mystic?
Reason I ask is because I'm sure that some people (myself included) have legendaries that they are very happy with the effects on but that we don't particularly want to have to re-hunt for new versions at level 70 (specifically skill cost reduction gear, cause -19 Meteor cost is hard to get).

This is a great question, and I have an answer that might make some of you happy. Right now, we're currently looking at having it so that when you re-roll an affix through Enchanting, the new roll is based on your character level. So, you could re-roll a core stat (as an example) on a lower-level item, and make that item a lot more appealing to a higher level character. This will allow you to continue to use gear that you're otherwise outgrowing, and help extend the life on some of those awesome items.
Enchanting is still a work in progress, though, so some of these details might change.

I understand that you can re-roll an affix. But can base armor and base weapon damage be re-rolled as well?

A lot of the details regarding Enchanting are still being finalized, and we'll be sure to share more information about it as time goes on. We know there are a lot of questions (like this) to be discussed, and we look forward to talking more about it when we can

There still needs to be an element of "random" involved as well as limitations for this system to work. Otherwise literally every single person would be running around with godly gear in no time.
Random element: the list of replacement stats.
Limitation: The cost and/or amount of re-rolls we can perform.
The Mystic should and will be a supplementary factor of itemization, not something that replaces the actual hunt for loot aka the whole name of the game.
This is spot on.

We are still iterating heavily on the system, so the exact details may vary from what we talk about today, so let's talk about our values. By focusing on our design values, even if the exact implementation changes, you''ll be able to see our intent and what's important to us. Here are some of our design values for enchanting:

Value: It's important for the actual hunt for the loot to still matter

How enchanting supports this: As currently designed, you are only allowed to reroll ONE property on an item. In this way, each item can only be changed so much from it's original state. This allows enchanting to feel meaningful, while still allowing lots of room for players to resume hunting for an even better "base item" to enchant into an even better item.

Value: We want this to be a meaningful end-game sink

How enchanting supports this:
1. As previously mentioned, all items that are enchanted will be bound to account
2. Even though you are allowed to reroll only ONE property, you can reroll that property over and over. For example, suppose an item has 200 str, 200 vit, 80 res all, +1200 Life on Kill and +400 Life on Hit. You might choose to reroll the +1200 Life on Kill and get +87 Hitpoints per second. You can then reroll the +87 Hitpoints per second and get +4 gold pickup radius. You can reroll the "mutable" stat as many times as you want, but the other 4 stats (200 str, 200 vit, 80 res all and +400 Life on Hit) are now "locked in" and cannot be rerolled.
3. We want to ensure enchanting is meaningful on Legendary items. We are working hard to make sure Legendary items are awesome. If we want enchanting to be a meaningful end-game sink, it needs to work on the best items in the game. It has not yet been determined whether this means you can enchant the "guaranteed" properties of a Legendary, or if you can only reroll the "random" properties of a Legendary. This aspect of the design is still under iteration but at the end of the day we want enchanting Legendary items to be worthwhile.

Value: We want to avoid "Buyer's Remorse"

How enchanting supports this: Have you ever played an RPG with an enchanting system that sometimes randomly made the item worse? Since we're allowing the result to be random, it's possible that your choices for enchanting are worse than the property you're replacing. Oftentimes this can lead to a feeling of dread when you begin the enchanting process. Or maybe you re-enchant the item over and over hoping to at least get something better than what you started but you get unlucky and run out of money or reagents before you get a good roll! To mitigate this, when we present you the list of options one of the options is ALWAYS the original property. So if you don't like the new options you can always choose to keep the old one. Now you can enchant with peace-of-mind.
Standard disclaimer. Enchanting is a work-in-progress.

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004

If I'm reading the latest post correctly, you'll want to buy an item with 1 bad stat roll. You can probably get that part pretty cheap, such as an OS CD EF with low DPS or something. You can then reroll the DPS to get it higher. Does that sound right?

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Well I'd be careful about picking low DPS as that could be a result of both low static damage increases and low percentile damage increases, which could be two or even three properties depending on if +min damage and +max damage are separated and only one of them could be 'fixable'. But in principal I do think that would work.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Also now that I think about it, while it will depend on cost and luck, items subject to relatively little randomization could very well plummet in value. I'm looking at you Mempo. 300 Spear another one that comes to mind.

That is, unless it lets you re-roll 'base' properties for another property instead of only letting you re-roll a random property, but that seems unlikely imo.