**OFFICIAL** Diablo 3 Thread

Page 424 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
But it's "guaranteed" money, man!

I made enough money in the month the game released, I just kind of farm at my own pace now and not worry about it. I made about $650 selling gold flipping items on the AH.

Finally broke the 150k completely unbuffed barrier! I guess I should work on my gems next because that will be the cheapest upgrade.

Anyone have any ideas besides gems? My gloves haven't updated yet, but I have trifectas with a bit more strength and 75 AR. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ewok-1399/hero/28168109

Oct 20, 2005
Just now, someone found this and didn't really know how much it was worth. He thought maybe 10M and people kept telling him to check AH and compare. He then goes "12M?".

I didn't know either how much it was worth but I felt it was definitely more than 12M, probably 20-25M. Anyway, I offered to buy it from him for 12M and he accepted rigth away. I think similar ones (even w/o the GF%) are at least 20M. But I'm thinking w/ these stats, it's probably more in the 50-75M range. What do you guys think?

It doesn't have perfect CC% but the +200 strength, CD%, GF%, and high life regen sure make it pretty attractive. If I keep it, it'll add about 5.5K dps for me.

5gn7f.jpg

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I made enough money in the month the game released, I just kind of farm at my own pace now and not worry about it. I made about $650 selling gold flipping items on the AH.

Finally broke the 150k completely unbuffed barrier! I guess I should work on my gems next because that will be the cheapest upgrade.

Anyone have any ideas besides gems? My gloves haven't updated yet, but I have trifectas with a bit more strength and 75 AR. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ewok-1399/hero/28168109

I was studying for a stupid professional test (stupid cause I'm contemplating not going down that path now), working a crappy second job, and crappy main job when this game came out. So, I didn't really get into it for the first few months when money was there to be made. I've only made about $250.

Pretty nice damage with your character.

I'd look into getting better pants. If you can, maybe Inna's pants (doesn't have All Res., IIRC), gloves (I have similar, but with dex and vit plus AS, CD, CC and they were only one or two million), and boots (it's part of a set, but not that good on its own -- rares have better stats for relatively cheap).

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005

Right now you need to push 8% more IAS to get to your next break point on your off hand. If you don't you have 11% extra IAS that is doing nothing but add paper dps to your chart and can be removed. This is viewing your profile currently with the hellfire so it should be easy with a ring change. This is also assuming you use the enchantress.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Right now you need to push 8% more IAS to get to your next break point on your off hand. If you don't you have 11% extra IAS that is doing nothing but add paper dps to your chart and can be removed. This is viewing your profile currently with the hellfire so it should be easy with a ring change. This is also assuming you use the enchantress.

Unless the calculator I use is off, I am 5% off of my next breakpoint in WoTB on my mainhand, and the OH I past the last attainable breakpoint. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjPQvt06HFyJdHJjY1JSVEo5dkI5QUttMzY1Q0pWR2c#gid=54 is the one I am using.

I totally forgot I had been using that HF ring though. I should look into grabbing a good ring and just swapping that out when I am leveling.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Unless the calculator I use is off, I am 5% off of my next breakpoint in WoTB on my mainhand, and the OH I past the last attainable breakpoint. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjPQvt06HFyJdHJjY1JSVEo5dkI5QUttMzY1Q0pWR2c#gid=54 is the one I am using.

I totally forgot I had been using that HF ring though. I should look into grabbing a good ring and just swapping that out when I am leveling.

I'm adding up your IAS to be 38% and I originally had it at 40% so I made a mistake there.

Wotb break points for main/offhand are:

11/0
29/1
54/21
86/48

So You're 16 off on your main hand and 10 off on your off hand. Weapon speed on chart for you should read 1.48/1.78 with enchantress selected. So you either need to upgrade 2 items or throw away some ias for other stats.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
If you decide to dump IAS then your helm could easily be swapped to IK. You may lose paper dps but you'd actually gain true dps plus quite a bit more ehp.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
If you decide to dump IAS then your helm could easily be swapped to IK. You may lose paper dps but you'd actually gain true dps plus quite a bit more ehp.

Yeah I think I might end up doing that. The extra crit won't hurt and I really am not gaining from the AIS in WW spec.

Edit: bought a new helm and Ice Climbers. Self buffed I am just under 200k without a follower.

Last edited:

Dratickon

May 13, 2012
This game is a winner of quite a few "Most disappointing game of the year" awards lol.

I doubt many people are shocked. I had a lot of fun with the game for a while, but I was definitely disappointed with how quickly I became bored with it.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
This game is a winner of quite a few "Most disappointing game of the year" awards lol.

Which is stupid considering it is so similar to D2. I guess that is the only "disappointing" thing about it. This game didn't revolutionize dungeon crawlers, loot mongering grind fest. It just did it well.

About how much DPS would you expect to be able to carry someone MP7 ubers? My girlfriend doesn't have great gear and I want to get her a couple rings. I got like 260k full buffed as a barb.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Which is stupid considering it is so similar to D2. I guess that is the only "disappointing" thing about it. This game didn't revolutionize dungeon crawlers, loot mongering grind fest. It just did it well.

I loved Diablo 2, had a ball with Titan Quest: IT, but was never impressed with Diablo 3. The gear has always been underwhelming, and the sense of power that was in Diablo 2 and Titan Quest has never been present in D3, and seems to be essentially unachievable. The skills are fairly boring too. In Diablo 2 and Titan Quest, and probably Torchlight 2 (which I haven't played yet, but plan to) you could get to a point where you felt overpowered a bit, and that is fun/enjoyable. I never achieved anywhere close to that in Diablo 3, and to get there (if that's even achievable) you have to spend real money on in-game items, which I have no interest in doing.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I loved Diablo 2, had a ball with Titan Quest: IT, but was never impressed with Diablo 3. The gear has always been underwhelming, and the sense of power that was in Diablo 2 and Titan Quest has never been present in D3, and seems to be essentially unachievable. The skills are fairly boring too. In Diablo 2 and Titan Quest, and probably Torchlight 2 (which I haven't played yet, but plan to) you could get to a point where you felt overpowered a bit, and that is fun/enjoyable. I never achieved anywhere close to that in Diablo 3, and to get there (if that's even achievable) you have to spend real money on in-game items, which I have no interest in doing.

The entire "you have to spend real money argument is stupid" is stupid. You could buy items for real money in D2, but you might as well just trade for hacked items. Getting to that level can be attained by either farming for your own gear for hours, or farming for those great items and selling them to buy your items. In TL2, feeling OP comes at like level 10 on the few classes I played.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
The entire "you have to spend real money argument is stupid" is stupid. You could buy items for real money in D2, but you might as well just trade for hacked items. Getting to that level can be attained by either farming for your own gear for hours, or farming for those great items and selling them to buy your items. In TL2, feeling OP comes at like level 10 on the few classes I played.

I think paying real money for in-game items removes the fantasy/escapism from the game. If an item drops, and you're seeing real-life $$$$ instead of the item's relative in-game power/value, then you have just tarnished the part of the game that gets you away from real life concerns.

I never had any desire to buy real items in Diablo 2. A HUGE part of the excitement in Diablo 2, and Diablo 3 (and this is where it came up short to a tremendous degree) was that chance for that uber item to drop off things I was killing. If I can just bypass any of that and get exactly what I want, right away (thanks to my Visa card), then all that excitement is reduced to next to nothing.

I avoided trading for the most part in Diablo 2, but every item that I traded, that I found anyway, was most certainly not hacked, and I think it's silly to assume that ALL trades happened this way. I don't think anybody has an accurate idea of just what % of in-game items were hacked. You can say "a lot", but there's no way to know for sure.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I think paying real money for in-game items removes the fantasy/escapism from the game. If an item drops, and you're seeing real-life $$$$ instead of the item's relative in-game power/value, then you have just tarnished the part of the game that gets you away from real life concerns.

I never had any desire to buy real items in Diablo 2. A HUGE part of the excitement in Diablo 2, and Diablo 3 (and this is where it came up short to a tremendous degree) was that chance for that uber item to drop off things I was killing. If I can just bypass any of that and get exactly what I want, right away (thanks to my Visa card), then all that excitement is reduced to next to nothing.

I avoided trading for the most part in Diablo 2, but every item that I traded, that I found anyway, was most certainly not hacked, and I think it's silly to assume that ALL trades happened this way. I don't think anybody has an accurate idea of just what % of in-game items were hacked. You can say "a lot", but there's no way to know for sure.

The excitement you don't feel in Diablo 3 isn't anything to do with the game, but with yourself I feel. You don't have to buy items on the AH. It is completely optional. Not feeling the excitement isn't a terrible thing though. This game just might not be for you. Sure, nobody has the actual number of hacked items from D2. But, I really do believe the number was quite high.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
the missing excitement in d3 stems from the fact that you will almost never see any tangible upgrades to your gear through your own efforts. you play for hours and hours without any tangible results. oh, you can find great items... but they are almost never for your class, and has to roll a specific stat combination to be an upgrade or even a sidegrade.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
the missing excitement in d3 stems from the fact that you will almost never see any tangible upgrades to your gear through your own efforts. you play for hours and hours without any tangible results. oh, you can find great items... but they are almost never for your class, and has to roll a specific stat combination to be an upgrade or even a sidegrade.

I agree, especially with the bolded.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
That is exactly it was in D2 as well except you couldn't really see what great items looked like because of no AH.

I remember going to The Arreat Summit (http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/) very very frequently and drooling over the items I wanted (Uniques/Sets). I knew exactly what I wanted, and there was no AH, and I rarely participated in random player-to-player trades.

I did find stuff like Frostburn Gauntlets (very useful with the +40% mana), Nagelrings, Tal Rasha's set stuff, Immortal King set stuff, etc., that was all immediately useful/desirable for my character, and all I had to do to acquire it was play the game. I didn't have to engage in some ebay-esque side game, or even trade at all if I didn't want to, and I'd still find, albeit rarely (and that's what made it fun/exciting!), some really rare/nice pieces of gear.

Things weren't so micro-incremental too. You'd get really huge upgrades in some of your slots, and these upgrades were pieces that were immediately useful, and that you could keep and be satisfied with for a LONG time. Nobody gets excited about going from a +150 str item to a +175 str item. Sure, your power has taken a very minor increase, but when there is no discernible difference in your power when you're actually fighting stuff, how is that worth getting excited over?

Also, the low-level stuff! There were GREAT low-level sets, whether you had just a couple specific pieces to get a nice partial bonus, or the whole set for an even better bonus. There were great low level Uniques as well (various boots, Tarnhelm, etc.).

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
That is exactly it was in D2 as well except you couldn't really see what great items looked like because of no AH.

Arreat Summit was there for you to see what was in game. Everything in the game was attainable if you put in the time to get it by utilizing the loot tables of monsters. You had to rarely trade for anything if you truly wanted an item. Odds are, you would have enough items to trade for your desired items as well.

The item hunt in D3 is the worst I have ever seen in an ARPG. The totally random rolls on the legendaries are a joke that worsen the loot system even more.

This game is the biggest disappointment of the last ten years. It is fun but it is nowhere close to what it should have been.

P.S. This game is awful compared to D2. I find it hilarious they add something to the game that was almost identical to D2 or some other ARPG or MMORPG from years ago and the fanboys praise them nonstop.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You can tell the game was built around the auction house.

indeed. this was more apparent once you hit Inferno when it came out.

Time is money, I'm ashamed to say I recently bought gold for the first time this past month. But I can't spend days upon days grinding for measly 1-2 millions when the next upgrades were 5 mil and up.

Blizzard builds the game around the AH, first the GAH, then the RMAH. It's not a bad decision on their part. They can control the trading, and they get a cut. It sucks for the people that want to be rewarded for grinding it out.