Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Just played 3 rounds of Conquest online. No lag, no hiccups, generally perfect. Moving from round to round was flawless, I saw, literally, no teleporting players or weird antics.

I opened my BF3 career with 5 straight kills and saw it go down from there. However, I love that you can still get a ton of points. Flag neutralization is 200 points, flag caps are 250. Every single point of health you take from an enemy counts as a point if a teammate finishes them off. Hell, for those who can't aim worth a shit like me, you can even get suppression points just for firing near them while a teammate kills them.

I had 1 kill and 11 deaths in my last match but still finished 3rd overall. You have to go all the way to sixth place on our team to find somebody with a positive K/D ratio (only 2 total on our team) yet we still won. Lots of fun.

One thing I find to be a problem though is that I'm afraid some of the maps will be too big. Canals was fairly decent, Metro was a complete madhouse, but Kharg Island was like being by yourself most of the time.

I hate not being able to quit out of multiplayer until you start to load into your next map, though. You have to wait the 45 seconds and get to the spawn screen for the next match. You can quit at this point and have enough time to do it. If I'm not mistaken though, if you don't quit before the match starts, then you'll get credited with a disconnect.

EDIT: Scratch that last part, it does show as a loss on my Battle Report but doesn't seem to affect my overall W/L record. How stupid.

Interesting... that last part was an issue on the PC as well during beta. Now however you can quit during the timer. I would hope the same will be brought to the 360 in a patch.

Oct 19, 2000
Interesting... that last part was an issue on the PC as well during beta. Now however you can quit during the timer. I would hope the same will be brought to the 360 in a patch.

It seems like an obvious addition for the next patch. I'm convinced there will be another patch but since it's on the 360, I'd venture to guess we won't see it for another month or two.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Played a few games last night with a friend. Had a blast when the servers were actually working. Twice got booted becasue the "EA Online connection was lost". The weapons, vehicles, maps, and destructible environments were awesome. I also like how much smoother the gameplay is than it was before. The squad interface is AWESOME. It is really great to be able to continually spawn with your squad mates so you're not constantly running all over the map trying to meet up again only to die.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
With all the EA issues, I guess it isn't a bad thing that UPS is late on my delivery.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Wow that was such a disappointment. Trying to play co-op and the servers shit the bed, disconnecting mid game, not connecting at all. They need to give me some money back

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
oheab.jpg

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
It seems like an obvious addition for the next patch. I'm convinced there will be another patch but since it's on the 360, I'd venture to guess we won't see it for another month or two.

It's still ridiculous that it's a continued problem. IIRC Bad Company 2 had the same annoying quirk in all versions of the game including PC and was never patched out anywhere. Why it's still there is mind boggling.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
So far so good. Campaign on hard w/o aim assist is...well...fucking hard. At least for me it is.

The jet mission was seriously rad, especially when the remixed BF2 theme kicked in.

For those who were freaking out about it, final release multiplayer is working way WAY better than the beta. I had fun last night, up until I lost my connection to the EA servers. Meh, servers are overloaded I'm sure. It was 1am anyway. I noticed I also wasn't able to log in to the battlefeed/battlelog site last night. Works this morning though.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2000
One thing I noticed (and liked) last night while playing multiplayer is how fast the Battlelog updates online. I have my computer monitor sitting right next to my TV and happened to have it open while playing my first online match last night. As soon as I finished that first match, I noticed something pop up in the corner of my eye. I looked over and my Battlelog profile had updated my "status feed" with what ribbons I earned. Also, the little green notification in the lower-left corner was alerting me that new stuff was there.

I paid more attention on my second match and as soon as the "Your team lost!" popped up on my screen, the page online updated with my rank up and stats. I like to see it updates immediately. I really like the Battlelog the more I use it. Not quite to the level of info that Bungie provided with Halo, but almost everything you could want is there.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
One thing I noticed (and liked) last night while playing multiplayer is how fast the Battlelog updates online. I have my computer monitor sitting right next to my TV and happened to have it open while playing my first online match last night. As soon as I finished that first match, I noticed something pop up in the corner of my eye. I looked over and my Battlelog profile had updated my "status feed" with what ribbons I earned. Also, the little green notification in the lower-left corner was alerting me that new stuff was there.

I paid more attention on my second match and as soon as the "Your team lost!" popped up on my screen, the page online updated with my rank up and stats. I like to see it updates immediately. I really like the Battlelog the more I use it. Not quite to the level of info that Bungie provided with Halo, but almost everything you could want is there.

That's pretty cool.

I remember back in BF2's hayday, the third party stat sites would make you wait for up to two hours before they would update your stats.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
played some today on the PS3, the game is looks amazing and the SQ is out of this world. MP is fun as shit even tho i suck at it. way out of practice.

i cant however get voice to work. sometimes i can hear people sometimes i cant, squad or party :/

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I know this is an odd request but would someone be so kind as to post the default button setup for the 360 for Battlefield 3, in particular the jet and helicopter?

I want to mimic it on the PC.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
The jet mission was seriously rad, especially when the remixed BF2 theme kicked in.

I was severely disappointed in the jet mission. I was expecting to be able to control the jet myself instead of it being an on-rails flying session.

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006
People on co-op are morons. Was trying the helicopter mission. If i was flying the guy controlling the cannon cant aim, or if im stuck with the cannon the guy flying crashes us shortly after takeoff.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Was interesting playing multiplayer last night before the servers went down. Certainly different than MW2. MW2 has a more individual feel to it where it seems like sometimes you can change the flow of the game by yourself, mainly due to stuff like kill streaks. With BF3, it's definitely a more you're part of the army on the battlefield type of feeling. Did a bunch of TDMs, haven't found a way to drive a tank or fly a jet yet.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I was severely disappointed in the jet mission. I was expecting to be able to control the jet myself instead of it being an on-rails flying session.

Yeah, same. It literally put me to sleep (granted it was 1am). Like half the planes you're shooting at were parked. Not only was it on rails, it was just really lame overall.

I wish they had delayed the game to next march. We've got enough shooters this Xmas and this game clearly isn't done. It's still pretty buggy and unpolished and the campaign is just haphazardly thrown together.

Instead of having its own time to shine it'll end up as forgettable as MoH. They'll probably still sell more copies releasing it during holiday but I think the game really suffered being forced to hit that date before it was done.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
So far, unless MW3 is a major disappointment, I think MW3 will end up taking the crown this round.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
My biggest gripes:

1)why isn't there an in game "training/tutorial" mode for anything?

2) Joining a party and playing multiplayer is overly complicated. The interface overall is disappointing.

3) the connections keep dropping.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Yeah, same. It literally put me to sleep (granted it was 1am). Like half the planes you're shooting at were parked. Not only was it on rails, it was just really lame overall.

I wish they had delayed the game to next march. We've got enough shooters this Xmas and this game clearly isn't done. It's still pretty buggy and unpolished and the campaign is just haphazardly thrown together.

Instead of having its own time to shine it'll end up as forgettable as MoH. They'll probably still sell more copies releasing it during holiday but I think the game really suffered being forced to hit that date before it was done.

I completely agree. This is the most I've been disappointed in a game... well, ever. The game is so clunky and bug ridden, not to mention the server issues over the past 3 days.

I'm trading it back in to amazon when MW3 comes out (I feel dirty saying that). Essentially it will be a $10 2 week rental.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
I completely agree. This is the most I've been disappointed in a game... well, ever. The game is so clunky and bug ridden, not to mention the server issues over the past 3 days.

I'm trading it back in to amazon when MW3 comes out (I feel dirty saying that). Essentially it will be a $10 2 week rental.

How do trades work on Amazon? I bought mine on amazon too and will probably return it after i beat solo campaign.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
How do trades work on Amazon? I bought mine on amazon too and will probably return it after i beat solo campaign.

They give you a prepaid UPS shipping label to send it with. When you submit it for tradein you get 1 week to mail it by, or the tradein gets canceled.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004

You sure it will get that high $ amount for trade-in? The one-time use online pass should kill the resale value.