Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
Doesn't seem like it makes a big difference over a long distance, but the close up shots look so much better with the texture pack.

pankajs

Oct 13, 2011
up.biz
Trailer of the game creates excitement in the viewers heart.
Once i installed Battlefield 2 in my PC, It was hard to play then i uninstalled it.
I hope this one would be not that hard to play.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
yay amazon! I canceled and reordered before reading that line about prexisting orders

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Been playing the 360 version online for a few matches... game is goooooood. Graphics aren't quite up to MW2 / MW2.1 quality, but it's FUN and they fixed a TON of the problems. It's very smooth.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
Been playing the 360 version online for a few matches... game is goooooood. Graphics aren't quite up to MW2 / MW2.1 quality, but it's FUN and they fixed a TON of the problems. It's very smooth.

That's actually good to hear. I was debating whether or not to get it after the beta. It had a lot of problems and I really don't like rush mode. I've loved every other BF though so I guess i'll get it.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Did you install the texture pack?

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Amazon says my order shipped, which is awesome.

What's not awesome is that it's coming via UPS, which is notorious for not showing up till after 5PM around here. :(

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
That's actually good to hear. I was debating whether or not to get it after the beta. It had a lot of problems and I really don't like rush mode. I've loved every other BF though so I guess i'll get it.

I was very pleasantly surprised. All of the hitching, flashing, sputtering, etc is gone.

Did you install the texture pack?

Yes. Looks much better than the beta.

Wat. Do you have eyes?

Yes. It is what it is. Have you played it firsthand yet? If yes, how can you really make a case for the bland / flat textures? I'm not faulting the game (there's only so much RAM and CPU to go around and concessions had to be made for destruction and vast environments), but itnisnwhat it is. If you haven't played the retail version yet, don't you think your position is a bit weak to be asking if I have eyes?

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Any ideas what the experience is like on ps3 vs pc? I just bought my first ps3 last week and have been thoroughly enjoying NBA 2k12 and FIFA. However I played bf2 on pc and my current rig is getting dated so I will need an upgrade for the pc version. I know the pc version will look amazing provided one has amazing hardware but the ps3 shouldn't be that far behind right?

Ps3 ver has max of 24 players online, right?

Oct 19, 2000
Any ideas what the experience is like on ps3 vs pc? I just bought my first ps3 last week and have been thoroughly enjoying NBA 2k12 and FIFA. However I played bf2 on pc and my current rig is getting dated so I will need an upgrade for the pc version. I know the pc version will look amazing provided one has amazing hardware but the ps3 shouldn't be that far behind right?

Ps3 ver has max of 24 players online, right?

Yeah, PS3 has a max of 24 players.

I personally think the console versions look pretty damn good (given the direct feed videos I've seen, anyway). They obviously don't hold a candle to the PC's high-res textures, resolution, modeling, geometry, etc, but it's a hell of a great looking game. I'm sure it plays pretty much the same, too (controls and online player count, notwithstanding).

suklee

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks man. Been a while since I played an FPS on the PS3 controller, I assume compared to a mouse/keyboard it's not as sensitive / accurate? I already bought BF3 on PC but can probably exchange it for the PS3 version.

I'll keep watching this thread for you guys' impressions on the PS3 version.

Conundrum_

Jun 14, 2011
PS3 version impression. I'll keep it really brief cause I am really tired lol.

It is in fact better than the beta. The maps are cool, but a little on the big side for 24 players. I don't like the EA account non sense.

It feels floaty almost slowed down its hard to describe. It's hard to kill for whatever reason..i'm thinking maybe i just suck though because i'm getting killed a lot lol. The graphics almost seemed blurred to me when moving rapidly, idk why. I think some of the recoil on some of the guns are a little exaggerated. Overall I think the PC version will have much better results for physics, graphics and gameplay. It's lacking something on the PS3 and I can't quite put my finger on it. I'll give it some time before I decide if i truly like or dislike the PS3 version. I'm sure I just need to get used to the extra movements coming from BC2.

Personally I think it needs a tad bit more work put into it. I want to play the PC version before I go and spend my monies on it.

And thats my extremely general and brief outlook on BF3 for PS3 lol.

Last edited:

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Are these HD packs (or pack) something you have to purchase separately?
No. It is an optional hard drive install that includes high resolution textures that can be loaded efficiently from the hard drive, whereas if you load them from the disc it will use lower resolution textures.

My copy will be here today, but I probably won't get to play it until Saturday.

Nov 20, 2009
No. It is an optional hard drive install that includes high resolution textures that can be loaded efficiently from the hard drive, whereas if you load them from the disc it will use lower resolution textures.

My copy will be here today, but I probably won't get to play it until Saturday.
Ok, so this is a download. Its not on Marketplace. Is it free?

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Ok, so this is a download. Its not on Marketplace. Is it free?
No. This is not a download. It is a separate set of files stored on the Battlefield disc. They are an optional install from the disc to the hard drive. Every Xbox 360 game can be installed to the hard drive to speed up loading times. BF3's install also includes HD textures that are used instead of the standard textures that would be loaded from the disc.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
No. This is not a download. It is a separate set of files stored on the Battlefield disc. They are an optional install from the disc to the hard drive. Every Xbox 360 game can be installed to the hard drive to speed up loading times. BF3's install also includes HD textures that are used instead of the standard textures that would be loaded from the disc.

This sounds pretty lame if its true. So I need to buy a damn hard drive to pay for this game?