Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
which you still have to install, and which takes longer to install because the PS3 blu ray drive reads slower than the 360 drive.

Hmm, didn't realize that.

Thanks.

On another note, got my copy just a few minutes ago now I'm currently installing it to my HDD.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Wonder how this game looks and plays on a ps3 vs a pc with lets say a dual core e8400 and like a 6770?

Heard the game really can push what the console is capable of doing .

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Seems like UPS is delaying my order for a day, but Amazon.com is giving me a $10 credit because of it. Nice. Will keep an eye on this thread to see how people like the game tonight.

Oct 19, 2000
The HD pack is present on both the PS3 and 360. The only reason you're given an option to install on the 360 is because not everybody has a hard drive.

On another note, finally got home from work and UPS delivered as promised. Installing everything now.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost.

Oct 19, 2000
I've played the first two missions in single-player so far. The "awesome" is that the controls are great, graphics look fantastic, and the sound is absolutely out of this world.

The "suck" is that the enemy AI is possibly the worst I've ever seen in any game and I really hate being lead by the hand by static AI friendlies. I don't feel in control at all and they are completely unaware of you in the world. They stand where you want, try to run through you, and they often run in front of your line of fire and you get scolded that friendly fire isn't tolerated. Fuck you game.

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
Xbox servers were up for a bit, then dipped again. Campaign mission possible spoiler:
Into the campaign mission where you are in the flying jet, killer visuals!

basslover1

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost. Failed to connect to ea online. The connection to ea online was lost.

I got the same thing, though I only tried twice. Lucky for me I guess that I want to finish the campaign first.

Last edited:

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
It looks my copy will still be unopened it's shrink wrap. Got a photo assignment tonight.
Sigh.
Can't wait until I have time to play :(
Took the fun out of Pre-ordering this.

Nov 20, 2009
No. This is not a download. It is a separate set of files stored on the Battlefield disc. They are an optional install from the disc to the hard drive. Every Xbox 360 game can be installed to the hard drive to speed up loading times. BF3's install also includes HD textures that are used instead of the standard textures that would be loaded from the disc.
Well, that is not how it played out for me today. I bought the Limited Edition game, popped it into the 360 and immediate got prompted for a +160MB update. Did that, it then asked if I wanted to download the 1.5GB HD Textures, and did just that. I then went about registering the game with EA in order to play online, and then installed the game itself to the HDD.

First disk in the case was for Multiplayer/Co-Op, and the second disk is for Single-player/Campaign (ask the disks are labelled). I must have gotten lucky as the 1.5GB download was real quick--I guess this was due to EA servers being robust and my 22Mbps Comcast connection.

Blueoak

Dec 13, 2001
It wasn't a download. EA said they misused the term. The HD texture was copied from the disc.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Wonder how this game looks and plays on a ps3 vs a pc with lets say a dual core e8400 and like a 6770?

Heard the game really can push what the console is capable of doing .

I'm playing on a 5870 with an i5 and it's killer. Most settings on ultra at 1080.

Oct 19, 2000
Just played 3 rounds of Conquest online. No lag, no hiccups, generally perfect. Moving from round to round was flawless, I saw, literally, no teleporting players or weird antics.

I opened my BF3 career with 5 straight kills and saw it go down from there. However, I love that you can still get a ton of points. Flag neutralization is 200 points, flag caps are 250. Every single point of health you take from an enemy counts as a point if a teammate finishes them off. Hell, for those who can't aim worth a shit like me, you can even get suppression points just for firing near them while a teammate kills them.

I had 1 kill and 11 deaths in my last match but still finished 3rd overall. You have to go all the way to sixth place on our team to find somebody with a positive K/D ratio (only 2 total on our team) yet we still won. Lots of fun.

One thing I find to be a problem though is that I'm afraid some of the maps will be too big. Canals was fairly decent, Metro was a complete madhouse, but Kharg Island was like being by yourself most of the time.

I hate not being able to quit out of multiplayer until you start to load into your next map, though. You have to wait the 45 seconds and get to the spawn screen for the next match. You can quit at this point and have enough time to do it. If I'm not mistaken though, if you don't quit before the match starts, then you'll get credited with a disconnect.

EDIT: Scratch that last part, it does show as a loss on my Battle Report but doesn't seem to affect my overall W/L record. How stupid.

Last edited:

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
I'm playing on a 5870 with an i5 and it's killer. Most settings on ultra at 1080.

THis is good to know. I have i5-750 and the black edition HD5850. However, my son got it for his 360, and with the game installed it looks much much better then the beta did on his 360. I am holding off on a PC purchase and play the 360 for a bit. I hate doubling up copies of the same game.

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
Been playing the 360 version online for a few matches... game is goooooood. Graphics aren't quite up to MW2 / MW2.1 quality, but it's FUN and they fixed a TON of the problems. It's very smooth.
I gotta say, you might need to get a new tv. This game is leaps and bounds better than MW.