Official AT Guild Wars 2 Guild Thread

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So after a 4 month break, I'm playing GW2 again. I still have my 80 ranger and 80 guardian and all I see are people massed at dragons, is this something new?

it's the update form last month that put guaranteed rares in all world boss chests. daily, character bound drops.

It's garbage, really. The vast majority of players just follow timers around from event to event and farm the chests on all bosses.

removes players from other maps that really need high population (like Orr) and reduces the population of potential dungeon runners.

those rare drops are changed with today's update, though. the guaranteed rares are now in a separate daily chest (just like the standard daily chest, or like the fotm daily chests) that is account bound per day/per boss. the large boss chests are still character-bound, and you will get your lovely blues and greens as usual, if that is your wish.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
I just looked over the patch notes but I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics of it all yet to know how big a deal the engi and quickness changes are.

The only one that really looks like it might bother me is the double detonation of flame blast; I'm not sure if it's actually double blasting for me but I'll be sadface if it's damage suddenly drops by half. It's been REALLY nice to pull with.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Thanks for the explanation. Wow my berser ranger feels so weak now, lol I need to get some practice. My guardian feels pretty invincible now with mix of knights/soldiers.

The daily/monthly offers laurels now but the prices of items are so high, wtf.

Anyhoo, I'll just have to get into the groove of things again. What server are people playing on nowadays?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for the explanation. Wow my berser ranger feels so weak now, lol I need to get some practice. My guardian feels pretty invincible now with mix of knights/soldiers.

The daily/monthly offers laurels now but the prices of items are so high, wtf.

Anyhoo, I'll just have to get into the groove of things again. What server are people playing on nowadays?

those in the AT guild that were still playing/repping in AT moved on to Kaineng....though we are mostly repping in another guild right now because of guild missions, that are pretty much only doable for large guilds.

in general, SBI is rather dead, unfortunately.

And yeah, I went knights with my guard (PPT), and I'm putting that on more of my toons. It offers a good balance of DPS (which is required in higher-level content) and survival--much of which is through general damage avoidance, anyway

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've just have no...ambition or desire to come back and play. TBH, I'm having a lot more fun playing LOTRO... :(

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So, is Super Adventure Box the greatest free addition to an MMO ever, or is it the greatest free addition to an MMO ever?

:D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
For those that may need a reason to start playing again, what is it?

a mini game that last through this month. It's an 8-bit styled 3D adventure, harkens back to the good ol days of NES--well, somewhere between NES and N 64 really (for those 3D styles). Think Minecraft.

entrance to be found in Rata Sum.

Not sure how many levels are currently playable--they say 3 levels, but the world map is rather long, it seems, with tons of secrets throughout.

You get baubles (yet another fucking currency) to exchange for super awesome super weapon skins (they are pretty sweet, I must say. if you're into that sort of thing). these can also be found throughout the world in random chests that pop--just like winter and hallowe'en events.

This ad is nothing short of brilliant. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60TCwX11PVw

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i do want that super greatsword skin.
however its not a merit enough for me to come back in to the game yet.

i am on haitus... i am just burnt out with the game with all the grinding i did.. and i just accelerated it even more by 2/3rds completing the second legendary going why am i doing this again?

oh yeah.. to grind for a third legendary in a system which hurts you for grinding yet is based on RNG for most end game stuff..

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I got my first legendary precursor (Dusk) from stuffing four crafted rare greatswords down the Mystic Toilet yesterday. It was my first try of the day, but like 1 of 320 attempts (and probably at least 220g of mats, rares, and exotics) otherwise... now I'm torn on whether I sell it and gamble some more with the proceeds, or try to make my first legendary.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
The Super Adventure Box exactly targets my age category. I've already played enough to get a greatsword skin, shortbow skin and a backpack. Also, this is the first time I bothered to get every acheivement without using guides and was totally worth it and fun.

The only irritating thing is the greatsword sound effect, it is 8bit and kinda irritating. The shortbow 8bit sound actually works well with the sound of shooting arrows so that works well.

As to legendarys, at this point, the only reason I would ever bother to make one is for the acheivement. In my opinion, the skins don't look any better than the ones you can get from black lion chests or from special events (ex. super adventure box).

But it seems money comes so fast and easy so I guess it won't hurt to just make the lengedary anyways.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
legendaries are game enders...

meaning by the time u completeing one... time is ticking b4 u take a break.

to make one requires so much timing, planning, and execution.... that u realize why people quit after getting a legendary.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Sounds like relic weapons in FFXI. Guaranteed 2 years of your life at a full-time job's pace. Sad thing was, they weren't exactly worth it, on paper.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
As long as you pace yourself, it's really not that bad. The biggest problem is precursors, everything else is obtainable and within reason, with the possible exception of Badges of Honor. Those are a serious pain. Sometimes I'll log into WvW and get 15 badges in 10 minutes, other times despite getting plenty of kills I'll only get 6 badges in an hour and fifteen minutes.

But Legendaries are strictly optional, and I'm in no rush.

Last edited:

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
With the free trial this weekend I gave it a shot. I have only been able to play for a few minutes so far and I would have to say pass for now. It looks cheap but does it get better? There is a bunch of old WoW guildies on there and that is why I am trying it.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
With the free trial this weekend I gave it a shot. I have only been able to play for a few minutes so far and I would have to say pass for now. It looks cheap but does it get better? There is a bunch of old WoW guildies on there and that is why I am trying it.

It looks cheap?

What you mean cheap?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
you'd be hard-pressed to find an MMO that looks nearly as good as GW2 right now.

not sure what one means by "cheap."

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i have to admit... GW2 has a very fluid world..

However the things you do in that world to get an item you want requires a very painful grind...
and whats worse is that the game hurts you for grinding, so the longer you grind.. the less u get rewarded and the more you want to quit.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I am personally on a break (I havn't played in over a month now). I "might" pop in to see if I can complete the monthly, but I doubt it if they do things like they have in the past with requiring multi-day events to complete it (like needing 5 or 10 "dailies"). I gave up once it became a grind-fest for the ever increasing item stats du jour. Each time they have added some new group of items, they have added some new group of things you need to grind in order to get them. First it was the coins that you could only get on dailies, then fractal relics, then guild missions, now mini-game, next up something else.... Seriously, use the fricking items you already had us grind, but no, you don't want to do that because then the long time players would instantly have the latest and greatest stuff, while the newer players would have to grind it out just like we did and have them take a few months to get to where we are... I am done for now.

The game's name should be "Grind Wars 2" (the exact opposite of what they wanted the game to be, but exactly what they turned it into, "grinding" was to be simply for player customization/looks, not stats like it has turned into).

Last edited:

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I've become addicted to WvWvW and seige!!! I leveled up my seige and all I do is run with the zerg, build sieges and KILL!!!

Although it was very disgusting when I was on a catapult and had around 50 bags to pick up then i got DC. NOOOOO!

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I just got banned for having an offensive character name. I can't wait to hear their explanation... the name is certainly NOT offensive.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Haven't played in a good 6(?) months... does the pvp side of the game have more players now?

Got bored with the SP world play, except when I had some of the AT members around to party with, but Pvp was always solo... just me and a ton of AT guild members not interested.

SP game was fun, but if you 'put in the time', only WvW or Pvp was left for any sort of multiplayer fun. WvW was extremely lacking, and PvP was not great either, but at least there was some serious competition.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I just got banned for having an offensive character name. I can't wait to hear their explanation... the name is certainly NOT offensive.

wow. would like to see which one.

I'm guessing the madonna reference, for "copyright infringement," which is part of the EULA.

this usually happens when someone else is jealous of your awesomeness, and reports your name simply because they can't have it. :mad:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Haven't played in a good 6(?) months... does the pvp side of the game have more players now?

Got bored with the SP world play, except when I had some of the AT members around to party with, but Pvp was always solo... just me and a ton of AT guild members not interested.

SP game was fun, but if you 'put in the time', only WvW or Pvp was left for any sort of multiplayer fun. WvW was extremely lacking, and PvP was not great either, but at least there was some serious competition.

damn it! we need you back on--if for only that you are so awesome to chat with on vent! :(