Official AT Guild Wars 2 Guild Thread

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
For leveling a warrior, you will use a greatsword. Until you hit level 50 or 60, you will also want to place all signets for your skills (not that you will activate them) and get the perk which adds precision for each signet that isn't activated (sorry I don't remember what that is under, probably needs either 10 or 20 points placed in the precision skilltree). After you have perk, place your points under strength and a couple under toughness/vitality (only if you are dying).

As I said that should get you easily to level 50 or 60. At that point you should be able to easily run AC with a group and almost gain a level each time you run it (you can probably start doing AC around level 45 if you have never run it before). Running AC that early has the side benefit of starting to earning the tears which you can use to purchase lvl 80 exotic equipment with power+vit+toughness (this is a very good dungeon gear setup with your accessories set to power+precision+critical damage bonus).

Ok thanks i will try it out, i left my Thief at 72 after the first few weeks so have not played in awhile.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
for pure DPS, people are running all-berserker gear (P/P/C)--armor + trinkets--on their warriors.

This is becoming more popular as CoF and AC speed runs want DPS-heavy parties to just plow through everything as fast as possible. These is probably the fastest way to earn gold in the game (CoF 1/2; or just 1 over and over).

May be best to start with the P/T/V stuff, though, or maybe P/P/V or something like that until you get used to the play style and how to survive with dodging and crowd control. Warrior is very diverse. Great at DPS and also crowd control if you need to (lack of guardians) and decent support as well.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
oh, that's today?

Curious about the new guild missions. Dulfy just posted some comments and bullet points from a recent lunch with a dev

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
They fixed Fractals, or the Swamp at least. Someone in my group was saying they couldn't jump the walls anymore. And Mossman can't be glitched under the bridge. Spy kits have a cooldown now too.

The hp for a lot of mobs in AC has been dropped by at least 50%. Kholer, Troll, the ghosts in Path 2 before the final boss...etc. They all drop real fast now.

Just looking at the patch notes now, looks intriguing so far...

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
They fixed Fractals, or the Swamp at least. Someone in my group was saying they couldn't jump the walls anymore. And Mossman can't be glitched under the bridge. Spy kits have a cooldown now too.

The hp for a lot of mobs in AC has been dropped by at least 50%. Kholer, Troll, the ghosts in Path 2 before the final boss...etc. They all drop real fast now.

Just looking at the patch notes now, looks intriguing so far...

so they made dungeon bosses easier? wtf...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
new preview window is totally rad.

....as long as they don't touch the omnomberry bars, I don't care. though, spykits and other consumables that made fractals too easy are now worthless.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
End Game warrior tho,

you want to pick up some Power . Precis. Toughness gear. Aka.. Knights gear.

End game gets to a point where having more vit can hurt you, having no toughness can hurt you, and having no crit will gimp your dps.

In high lvl fotm's i use knight gear.. high lvl meaning 60+ .

new preview window is totally rad.

....as long as they don't touch the omnomberry bars, I don't care. though, spykits and other consumables that made fractals too easy are now worthless.

they got rid of the omno pies.
The omno pies is whats pissing everyone off, cuz life leech was OP with them.

@zin.

i got another precursor... :\
Its a harpoon gun tho. [Rage of Rage] :\

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
End Game warrior tho,

you want to pick up some Power . Precis. Toughness gear. Aka.. Knights gear.

End game gets to a point where having more vit can hurt you, having no toughness can hurt you, and having no crit will gimp your dps.

In high lvl fotm's i use knight gear.. high lvl meaning 60+ .

they got rid of the omno pies.
The omno pies is whats pissing everyone off, cuz life leech was OP with them.

@zin.

i got another precursor... :\
Its a harpoon gun tho. [Rage of Rage] :\

that's the shark harpoon, right? that thing is pretty sick, actually....

The only legendary skins that I like are the rifle with its new effects, and the dagger....though I don't really use my thief to justify a legendary, or even the ele (of which I prefer dagger)

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I started playing a lot recently, have my necro up to 41 but for some reason the past couple days my minions seem to be super retarded. Is there a way to change minion behavior or something or tell them to attack a certain target? I feel like they used to just attack whatever I did but recently half of them just sit around being dumbasses and yesterday when I was duoing a champion centaur guy my flesh golem kept running around attacking stupid weapon racks instead of going after the damn guy I was trying to kill.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I started playing a lot recently, have my necro up to 41 but for some reason the past couple days my minions seem to be super retarded. Is there a way to change minion behavior or something or tell them to attack a certain target? I feel like they used to just attack whatever I did but recently half of them just sit around being dumbasses and yesterday when I was duoing a champion centaur guy my flesh golem kept running around attacking stupid weapon racks instead of going after the damn guy I was trying to kill.

I noticed a few days ago that the pets on the ranger I am currently leveling--particularly the Moas--just stand there like idiots no matter what I am doing, or what I tell them to do.

No idea about Necs--it is now the one class I haven't really played, not since BW1, anyway.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
hey anyone on SoS? I just fired this up again - 61 ranger and a few low lvl chars.

I am still on SOS.
You can find me in the game at evenings..
I am also out in WvW a lot... i cant let Zin's Server kick my servers butt!
:p

How do you run FOTM past 50 with double agony?

Ranger Refuge HAX!!!
But u die at maw... there is no halp button for that...
Ranger Pet tho HAX's and res's you... :p

OR u can wait for someone to use a revive orb...

no... which is why 90% of the necros in end game dont use pets.
They are absolutely worthless...
The best necro build will be scepter / dagger with blood is power and epidemic, with stacking blood duration trait.
My Sexymancer has a stack bleed of 47sec due to her traits and runes.

Only problem is if u have 3 people in your group who also do bleeding dmg, your conditional stack will get nerf'd.

Which is again why i only bring out my necro if i know only 1 other person is spec'd in bleeding besides me.... otherwise the necro becomes a handicap.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
question, if you start a GW2 char/account before finishing GW1 monument stuff, is there any hinderance in still going back into GW1 and getting them?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
question, if you start a GW2 char/account before finishing GW1 monument stuff, is there any hinderance in still going back into GW1 and getting them?

not that I know of.

I'll say this, though: don't waste your time. The HoM stuff really isn't that great. :\

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Just picked up GW2 in the sale - any advice for a fledgling engineer?

I just moved out of my starter zone and I'm getting rocked on at-level content (16). I'm using dual pistols and have mostly semi-current gear (lv 10+)

I'm not a huge fan of the dodging mechanic - I like it in concept, just not in practice. Am I playing a bad class for that?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Just picked up GW2 in the sale - any advice for a fledgling engineer?

I just moved out of my starter zone and I'm getting rocked on at-level content (16). I'm using dual pistols and have mostly semi-current gear (lv 10+)

I'm not a huge fan of the dodging mechanic - I like it in concept, just not in practice. Am I playing a bad class for that?

nah, I think you're just playing "a bad class." Engi isn't really bad, just, for me, the most boring class. At first sight, it seems that the various weapon kits make up for the dearth of equippable weapons and weapon skills, but eventually, the play just gets really really old, if you ask me.

They are a good and useful class in groups....just, for me, well, I got bored by level 35.

I wouldn't say they are particularly bad class for dodging, but it is a mecahnic that you ahve to depend on, and some classes do make better use of it with traits that provide useful on-dodge skills (like Mesmer). If you find that you are depending too much on dodge, and dont' want to dodge...then try out a turret-based build. They are pretty good aggro vacuums and the thumper turret can take a pounding while you plink at range. But for end-game content, you really have to embrace damage avoidance if you hope to survive, and dodging is a big part of that.

jcwagers

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2000
Bite your tongue Zin! :p My engineer is my main and he's the one I always go back to. I'll admit that I don't do the greatest of damage....but stuff still dies in a decent amount of time. :) I'm usually not in a speed kill mood so I don't mind if it takes a few extra seconds. I like the engineer for the versatility. You want to heal? Healing turret (or Med Kit), Elixir gun, Supply Crate. You want to do AOE? Grenades or flamethrower(to an extent). You wanna stand back and blow stuff up? Set up turrets and plink away. Are engineers "the cat's meow"? Nope....they aren't. I just like all the options that i have to work with. I know others may not and that's understandable.

I know that a lot of people tend to be all caught up with dungeons but I'm afraid I'm not one of those people. I see no armor or weapons that I really care for out of the dungeons so I honestly see little reason to do them very often. As far as the mighty Fractals, I could care less if I set foot in there again or not. I found it to be rather tedious and a bit irritating(although I could've just been in an impatient mood that night).

Riven.....have you tried rifle yet? I keep dual pistols and a shield but my main use weapon is a rifle. It generally does adequate damage and I can get some conditions with some of the kits instead of the pistols. The engineer is VERY limited on weapons that can be used but.....it is what it is. Keep some of all of them so you can mix or swap depending on what you want to try......or if you just get bored and want to use something else for a while. :) I'll admit that dodging takes a little getting used to but once you get used to it...you'll be fine. I don't always use it as much as I should but it IS very useful.

All this stuff is just my opinion and others may not agree with it. I just thought I'd throw in my .02. :) Have fun and keep playing. If you find a class you're not fond of, you can always reroll another. :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^ Oh, I do like engineer, and I think they are useful in any group, for any reason. I just don't like playing them as much as I like Mes or Guard or Warrior (hardly play these days) or even Ele.

Of their skills, I think I prefer elixir gun, grenades, turrets, and maybe flame thrower. In the end, it's kind of odd to argue that they don't have enough weapon options (As I did), because I and I assume many others will pick a favorite class, and likely stick to 2 main weapon sets anyway, and probably a third for specific situations. The reality is that with that....the engi really does give you a lot of versatility because the utility weapon kits will really put more use out of your weapon skills and F skills.

I'm pretty much burned out of fractals, and I only got my main to level 31. I have little desire to level beyond that, much less run it more than twice a week. I like doing dungeon runs, though, because it's something to do and there are still a decent number of paths that i have not done, so there remains some "new" content for me (side effect of spending so much time leveling alts). I've almost got my 7th toon to 80, very slowly working on it, but most of my time when not derping with alts is trying to run some dungeons each night--though I certainly don't grind them like others do.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
I am still on SOS.
You can find me in the game at evenings..
I am also out in WvW a lot... i cant let Zin's Server kick my servers butt!
:p
Wicked - my 80 Ranger is Thrandruin and a 19 Guardian Tadatsune not sure if i'm going to keep him though. Should give them until lvl 30 before dumping huh?
I also play a Charr engineer Parax Fulcrum, just started him.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Riven.....have you tried rifle yet? I keep dual pistols and a shield but my main use weapon is a rifle. It generally does adequate damage and I can get some conditions with some of the kits instead of the pistols. The engineer is VERY limited on weapons that can be used but.....it is what it is. Keep some of all of them so you can mix or swap depending on what you want to try......or if you just get bored and want to use something else for a while. :) I'll admit that dodging takes a little getting used to but once you get used to it...you'll be fine. I don't always use it as much as I should but it IS very useful.

All this stuff is just my opinion and others may not agree with it. I just thought I'd throw in my .02. :) Have fun and keep playing. If you find a class you're not fond of, you can always reroll another. :)

Well, so far I'm still sticking with the Engi; I'm in my low 60s now and it's gotten better. Mostly the switch to using flamethrower most of the time has made the enjoyment factor go up, along with figuring out how to farm a few of the bosses daily (GW2 timers ftw) helps greatly with keeping my gear level-current.

I did my first dungeon (twilight arbor, I think?) a couple days ago and while it was fun, I was not blown away by it.

Coming from WoW and similar games, GW2 is a major, refreshing change of pace. Awesome in some ways, annoying in others but overall really good.

What's 'end game' like? Is there end game content?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^end game is run those dungeons over and over and do fotm over and over...like most MMOs, really.

or sPVP or WvW. Or farm for mats to make fancy (for looks) gear. Don't really need to do dungeons for that.

as for engi...today's update is huge. I haven't read the details, but form the sheer amount of changes, it seems that engi is a totally new class.

oh, and bye bye quickness :(

some dungeons I find to be more fun than others, honestly. I haven't done TA in a long time, but I used to do it quite often. Try the other two paths in explorable and see what you think--or did you just do Story Mode the other day?

oh, and one benefit of the quickness "nerf" today, it might reduce the CoF 1 runs. Well, probably not, but it would be nice to see people actually running other dungeons in the game, other than just doing CoF 1 over and over.

Also, the move to account daily chest for rares from world bosses. Maybe people will return to other maps and do other things, rather than this boring welfare treadmill :D

Last edited:

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
So after a 4 month break, I'm playing GW2 again. I still have my 80 ranger and 80 guardian and all I see are people massed at dragons, is this something new?