Official AT Guild Wars 2 Guild Thread

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't think the game has been difficult so far; and personally I don't think it will ever be [very] 'hard' because it doesn't have the mechanics to support it (PvE that is). When you take away tanks and healers, every encounter becomes a modified zerg. And that's held true for pretty much every dungeon and encounter I've been part of so far.

Levelling is still pretty fun though, started some new characters with my friends this weekend and I've enjoyed seeing some of the other starting areas, and even going through them again is way more fun in a group.

I think in the open world it very much is a zerg fest, which is disappointing, but that's mostly unavoidable...but this all depends on the population. I still frequently find myself in areas alone, where events will occur and I have to take care of them myself for at least some time (others will tend to show up to most events), at which point you do have to think your way through fights.

I don't see any dungeons as being a zerg fest--not any that I have ever played, anyway. You do have to coordinate more and while the bosses don't have overly-complicated mechanics, your group can't really run in and pound on them like you can the open world bosses.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
I know doing AOE on a Warrior or Guardian is easy-peasy (Spin-to-win!) but I find it so much easier on my Thief. Since I can tag 3 mob's with my slot one skill on Short Bow, let them get close to me, then hit Caltrops and then I dodge out while shooting the Choking Gas (#4 SB Skill) and then spam the Cluster Bomb (#2 SB Skill) ... so delicious. I really need to test and see if I can utilize the Spider Venom skill it distributed with ALL of the bombs from Cluster Bomb. If so, and since I'm Asura, the AoE condition potential is CRAZY with Poison Cloud.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
This weekends progress...

10 gold
22 Skill points
8 Ectos
10 unidentified dyes
30ish T6 mats
3 Mystic coins
160 Shards of Zhaitan
6 medals of honor (wvwvw)

Slowly but surely...

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Getting a little burnt out on the PVE. At this point I'm running dungeons strictly for cosmetic changes to my gear, and after running one dungeon 50 times, it gets old. Would like to do all the different paths in dungeons with guildies, but not much love for doing runs lately.

Got further into the SPVP; almost level 7, and I find I don't hate it as much as I thought I would. I always see these posts about Elementalists crying about damage being low or they can't survive... I'm pretty much a badass unless I get three people on me. But, there are only four maps, and I can't see playing them over and over til I hit 80 in SPVP.

A good thing about SPVP though - I decimate people in WvW. You can nearly instantly tell when you are in a small fight who has played SPVP and who hasn't. I remember my first day in WvW when I was getting killed by anyone if I happened to spot one enemy in the field... now I'll kill them 8 out of 10 times, and the other two times I'll escape before they can kill me.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Getting a little burnt out on the PVE. At this point I'm running dungeons strictly for cosmetic changes to my gear, and after running one dungeon 50 times, it gets old. Would like to do all the different paths in dungeons with guildies, but not much love for doing runs lately.

Got further into the SPVP; almost level 7, and I find I don't hate it as much as I thought I would. I always see these posts about Elementalists crying about damage being low or they can't survive... I'm pretty much a badass unless I get three people on me. But, there are only four maps, and I can't see playing them over and over til I hit 80 in SPVP.

A good thing about SPVP though - I decimate people in WvW. You can nearly instantly tell when you are in a small fight who has played SPVP and who hasn't. I remember my first day in WvW when I was getting killed by anyone if I happened to spot one enemy in the field... now I'll kill them 8 out of 10 times, and the other two times I'll escape before they can kill me.

I dont think its fair calling a shard run a "dungeon" run :p

I am glad I love aimlessly killing things, the PvE works for me. I always liked killing things for fun. I havent tried any pvp out side of WvWvW, been meaning to once I get better gear.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
I reall need to see if this user name is available.

Keep Calm and Spin On

Ah, too long - but it can be lowered somehow!

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I dont think its fair calling a shard run a "dungeon" run :p

I am glad I love aimlessly killing things, the PvE works for me. I always liked killing things for fun. I havent tried any pvp out side of WvWvW, been meaning to once I get better gear.

The SPVP is a completely different copy of your character, with it's own free gear. You start off with a generic setup, but can put any runes on your armor you want (from a merchant for 0 cost), and the only accesories are amulets (with crazy stats like 795 Power).

So when you build your traits; say you are going power/crit - you buy 6x runes to put on your armor of any kind you want (free), then get an amulet with the distribution of points you want.

Kind of nice for PVE too... you can go to the PVP armor merchant, and he sells every single rune in the game - so if you are not sure what you want on your PVE armor, you can look at the entire list there.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Mmmmm... decided to do some things to help people out in guild.

So i am gonna list who i think are the best in classes, so if u need help or build advice, you can ask them.

Warrior: ME... (i have a big head :p) not but seriously.. i think i have the strongest warrior in our guild in aspect to signet warriors / dungeon warriors / greatsword warrior / rifle warrior.) ask me if u have any questions in regards to warriors.

Guardian: Tiggore - by far the first and foremost guardian i will trust.

Necromancer: Garth <--- i believe he was our first lvl80 necro, he kites like a pro.

Elementalist: Hakuryu <--- first ele' that was brave to explore cursed shore with me, when it was extremely unpopulated and you would get jumped every corner you turned.
Has probably one of the highest DPS ive seen for ele's.
(honorable mention should goto Ash, who is starting to build his name amungst our lvl80 group)

Mesmer: The two prostitutes in our guild id trust is PolyMystic (although might be retired in lue of his new warrior), and Zinfinamous...
although im more heavy on poly as Zin seems to like dying err sleeping on the floor a lot.

I am surprised they havent fixed this yet, considering so many people are not even bothering finishing the dungeon because of this.

^ addition.

i went and completed the first arah explore.
The next boss is a PITFA!
Dont get me started on the next boss, and how everyone in the party which didnt have at least 18k life wiped.
You know shit is hitting the floor hard when a warrior is left running around like a headless chicken with agro, while the rest of your team is running back from respawn.

Last edited:

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Mmmmm... decided to do some things to help people out in guild.

So i am gonna list who i think are the best in classes, so if u need help or build advice, you can ask them.

Warrior: ME... (i have a big head :p) not but seriously.. i think i have the strongest warrior in our guild in aspect to signet warriors / dungeon warriors / greatsword warrior / rifle warrior.) ask me if u have any questions in regards to warriors.

Guardian: Tiggore - by far the first and foremost guardian i will trust.

Necromancer: Garth <--- i believe he was our first lvl80 necro, he kites like a pro.

Elementalist: Hakuryu <--- first ele' that was brave to explore cursed shore with me, when it was extremely unpopulated and you would get jumped every corner you turned.
Has probably one of the highest DPS ive seen for ele's.
(honorable mention should goto Ash, who is starting to build his name amungst our lvl80 group)

Mesmer: The two prostitutes in our guild id trust is PolyMystic (although might be retired in lue of his new warrior), and Zinfinamous...
although im more heavy on poly as Zin seems to like dying err sleeping on the floor a lot.

^ addition.

i went and completed the first arah explore.
The next boss is a PITFA!
Dont get me started on the next boss, and how everyone in the party which didnt have at least 18k life wiped.
You know shit is hitting the floor hard when a warrior is left running around like a headless chicken with agro, while the rest of your team is running back from respawn.

Logged on when servers went live again and was glad to see no real roll back happened after our FLAWLESS AC run was happened. I EVEN DODGED the hallways of spikes AND every one of the leuitenant's attacks. (Game probably thought it was broken because of this and started shutting down)

I figrued the bosses would be bad. However, I bet there is a trick to it. I know as an ele, especially with skills, I can consistantly take a good portion of damage reduction on me, if I wish. Along with traiting Earth and water.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
downed is not the same as dead, Aigo. you need to understand this fine difference when playing certain classes.

as warrior...yeah, downed is pretty much dead as the downed skills are useless.

:colbert:

btw, you forgot Isaha, our pro Engineer.

...we don't really have an upper level thief, do we?
:hmm:

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I figrued the bosses would be bad. However, I bet there is a trick to it. I know as an ele, especially with skills, I can consistantly take a good portion of damage reduction on me, if I wish. Along with traiting Earth and water.

yeah, I need to test it out again, but I disappointed, some time ago, when it seemed the Mes skill [nullfield] (removes all conditions from allies/removes all boons from foes) does not seem to protect anyone from floor traps.

Though, it could be that it's a cycle or stack>remove>stack>remove if you place the field on top of red circles and traps....so maybe it's working as one might expect, just need to pay more attention to the way that conditions are being applied. It works quite well, of course, for removing conditions cast on allies, but I guess placing it on top of AoE condition fields makes for some weirder, though maybe not entirely useless removal effects.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
downed is not the same as dead, Aigo. you need to understand this fine difference when playing certain classes.

as warrior...yeah, downed is pretty much dead as the downed skills are useless.

:colbert:

We have a few 80s already, Hoon is one but he doesn't "represent" the guild.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
We have a few 80s already, Hoon is one but he doesn't "represent" the guild.

ah, OK. he got stuck on the other server trying to get his map completion, but now can't get back on to Stormbluff. :\

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
sigh
I asked them to show me proof that my account is compromised and got this:

Unfortunately we do not send out our verification material. However I have blocked access to your account to prevent any theft of items until we are able to resolve this issue. If you would send us a secure email address we will be happy to make that your new login and unblock restore access to your account. This should resolve the problem you are having with your account being accessed by unauthorized users.

After I told them all I've done to confirm why I don't think it's being compromised. seriously, if there is something compromising my system it's a SUPER Virus or whatever because nothing can detect it, and apparently all it's being used for is my GW2 password. /rolleyes

oh, and none of my gear or money has been stolen either...

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Would like to note I have 2 80s now, pretty sure first in the guild with that :p

I bet now that I need to do Arah shard runs, no one is going to want to :(

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Would like to note I have 2 80s now, pretty sure first in the guild with that :p

I bet now that I need to do Arah shard runs, no one is going to want to :(

for the legendary stuff, does each character actually need to max the specific necessary crafting disciplines for x item, or can that be spread out across the account? ...as I noticed that your warrior also has 400 in jewelcrafting. Otherwise, Why not level with a discipline that you don't already have maxed on your main?

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
for the legendary stuff, does each character actually need to max the specific necessary crafting disciplines for x item, or can that be spread out across the account? ...as I noticed that your warrior also has 400 in jewelcrafting. Otherwise, Why not level with a discipline that you don't already have maxed on your main?

The gifts are soulbound so you have to max the profession on the character that requires it. My Warrior isn't a 400 JC, he's 209 (just used it to get the last 4 levels) but it might show my highest active professions or something since I was switching back and forth to my Mesmer.

I would have done huntsman but since Mystic Chests are being disabled tonight the prices on wood are still crazy high compared to what they should be, so I'm waiting for it to die down a bit before I work on it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The gifts are soulbound so you have to max the profession on the character that requires it. My Warrior isn't a 400 JC, he's 209 (just used it to get the last 4 levels) but it might show my highest active professions or something since I was switching back and forth to my Mesmer.

I would have done huntsman but since Mystic Chests are being disabled tonight the prices on wood are still crazy high compared to what they should be, so I'm waiting for it to die down a bit before I work on it.

bah, stupid soulbound stuff. I assumed this was the case, though...being that there really isn't any other reason to take more than 2 professions and max them out on a single character.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
How do dungeons work in this game? With the old trinity thing gone, can you bring anyone or do you still need specific roles? I just hit 80 on my warrior and frankly don't know what to do next, if anything. I might just start another alt.

I don't even know where to start scouting for dungeon runs.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
How do dungeons work in this game? With the old trinity thing gone, can you bring anyone or do you still need specific roles? I just hit 80 on my warrior and frankly don't know what to do next, if anything. I might just start another alt.

Coordinated runs are a vastly more enjoyable experience, see if you can't tag along for some farming runs with guild members or something.

As for classes necessary, there are no "required" classes but having a nice mixture is still vastly preferred. You'd like 1-2 warriors/guardians to be up front and tanking with 1-2 supports like engineers or mesmers as well as some pure DPS spec'd people. That being said how everyone is traited and geared makes a large impact on what role they play, there are pure DPS warriors and almost pure tank warriors for instance. Alternatively if you study and memorize every single mob's fighting pattern and signals in a dungeon it would be possible to run 5 pure DPS spec'd characters and do the dungeon very quickly provided no one was getting hit enough to worry about the damage sustained.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

You can take pretty much any character, but most dungeons are quite difficult without at least 1 warrior or guardian. they are accessed every 10 levels starting at level 30 (depends on the dungeon) for story mode, and 35, 45, 55, etc for the explorable mode of each respective dungeon.

They are race-based, so you will find them in various racial areas, and you get a mail inviting you to each one once you hit your 10 level (30, 40, 50...). The mail shows you on the map where each one is.

After you hit 80, the first thing is generally get full exotic gear, then grind the various things needed for your legendary weapon(s).

and there is always PvP. The explorable modes for the dungeons offer variety in that there are ~3 different paths with different objectives you can take on each run, for each dungeon.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

DOE...

how did i miss Saha...
yes Saha is a pro engie... Another person i try to grab all the time when i go dungeon farming.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Thanks for the input. Day I hit 80 I blew my purse on exotic gear, so outside of accessories/trinkets I got all exotic lvl80 stuff.

I'll have to ask around and see who is doing what on my server. I don't belong to a guild (well a real one) and the friends that joined me to play ditched me about 2-3 weeks ago haha.