**OFFICIAL** AT Battlefield 3 FAQ and News Thread

Page 455 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
Hello again all
I have the original BF3 DVD, I think its just basic. An reccommendations on which expansions to get, if any? I don't even know what expansions are available. For my locale, I think popular = better for server selection. I also only play large player (32)full hardcore servers on BFBC, as I enjoy that style.
Thanks again for your help

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Personally I'd wait for the "premium" edition to go on sale, you can pick up all the DLC for like ~30$ which to me is well worth it.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Just buy Premium, it contains all the expansions. It's $50 from Origin. If you can buy it from Greenmangaming, there is a code for 20% off, making it $40. The code is on their front page.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Just buy Premium, it contains all the expansions. It's $50 from Origin. If you can buy it from Greenmangaming, there is a code for 20% off, making it $40. The code is on their front page.

I never played a single game of BF3 yet. Just bought the Premium last week but I need to find the money and upgrade a few more parts for my new gaming system. Lots of set backs messed me up financially:(

I been trying to play this damn game since it came out and I am still waiting to play it.

Maybe sometime this year once I get a gaming system completed....argh!!!

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Played a few rounds of Hardcore last night. I think that's it for me, no return to Normal. Hardcore is much more realistic, although, I must admit, playing recon, it's way harder to find people w/o 3D spotting. I'll take that tradeoff though.

Jets are still OP, and need to be seriously fixed, but, at least in Hardcore w/ no 3D spot, they aren't insane like in Normal.

For those frustrated with the rediculousness of Normal, try Hardcore. You won't regret it!

Chuck

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
Does voice chat work properly for all players as standard, as it did in BF2? I never got it working properly in BFBC. That was a big drawback.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Played a few rounds of Hardcore last night. I think that's it for me, no return to Normal. Hardcore is much more realistic, although, I must admit, playing recon, it's way harder to find people w/o 3D spotting. I'll take that tradeoff though.

Jets are still OP, and need to be seriously fixed, but, at least in Hardcore w/ no 3D spot, they aren't insane like in Normal.

For those frustrated with the rediculousness of Normal, try Hardcore. You won't regret it!

Chuck

I think this weekend i'll try to find a nice HC Oman and get to a nice high spot. I bet there is at least the potential to get more kills with the sniper rounds often killing in one shot. Spotting isn't a big issue on that map. Its pretty open.

1b0b1

Dec 19, 2012
Guys, I need your expertise on this one.

As you can see from my sig, I have a gtx680 lightning and an i7 3770k which I overclocked to 4.4Ghz. The monitor that I play on is a samsung 23" 1920x1080 , 2ms, 3d, 120hz. However, I feel like there is something weird going on. Even with those 2 components, I am still unable to play BF3 on ultra settings (vsync off), it feels sluggish and not smooth, and the worst part is, my fps is actually higher than 60 almost all the time, how can this happen ? this is my first problem.

My second problem is, if something intense happens, like explosions and you know the rest, my fps drops below 30 during that scene and then go back to 60+. Is this normal ? I understand that BF3 multiplayer is a cpu dependent game but is it safe to consider that my CPU with its current settings is the bottleneck ?

My third and last problem, I know that recording takes drops the FPS but wait, I am using fraps, installed and recording to a second HDD. Since I am unable to play on ultra smoothly, even without fraps, I selected the Auto settings and my fps was like 110+ all the time. However, the moment i start recording my fps drops like 40-50 instantly, and no, I haven't selected the lock frame while recording option under fraps.

Besides all of this, I've used MSI afterburner to monitor the GPU temps and usage while gaming. I have to say that everything looks good, temps are between high 50's and 63c. Usage is 99% almost all the time and the clock speed is reaching its maximum for this card which is 1241mhz or something.

I would really appreciate if you guys could help me sort those problems out, it is really annoying.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
A little more details would be great though :p, like what settings, fps locked ? what did you use to render the video and which format... thanks anyways

Fraps

Video Capture settings:

30 FPS as YouTube can't handle anything above that

Full-Size

Sound Capture Settings:

Record Win7 sound - Stereo as YouTube doesn't support multichannel

I do not lock frame-rate while recording

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Guys, I need your expertise on this one.

As you can see from my sig, I have a gtx680 lightning and an i7 3770k which I overclocked to 4.4Ghz. The monitor that I play on is a samsung 23" 1920x1080 , 2ms, 3d, 120hz. However, I feel like there is something weird going on. Even with those 2 components, I am still unable to play BF3 on ultra settings (vsync off), it feels sluggish and not smooth, and the worst part is, my fps is actually higher than 60 almost all the time, how can this happen ? this is my first problem.

My second problem is, if something intense happens, like explosions and you know the rest, my fps drops below 30 during that scene and then go back to 60+. Is this normal ? I understand that BF3 multiplayer is a cpu dependent game but is it safe to consider that my CPU with its current settings is the bottleneck ?

My third and last problem, I know that recording takes drops the FPS but wait, I am using fraps, installed and recording to a second HDD. Since I am unable to play on ultra smoothly, even without fraps, I selected the Auto settings and my fps was like 110+ all the time. However, the moment i start recording my fps drops like 40-50 instantly, and no, I haven't selected the lock frame while recording option under fraps.

Besides all of this, I've used MSI afterburner to monitor the GPU temps and usage while gaming. I have to say that everything looks good, temps are between high 50's and 63c. Usage is 99% almost all the time and the clock speed is reaching its maximum for this card which is 1241mhz or something.

I would really appreciate if you guys could help me sort those problems out, it is really annoying.

Your problem is difficult to pin down since much of the problem is perceived rather than measurable (at least i don't know how to measure it, maybe someone else does). You mention that it doesn't feel smooth, yet your FPS is high. Sometimes I notice little jitters or shakes when I pan around in BF3. Its not always there, but this is a perceived stuttering that I notice despite high FPS. Its not always like that though.
Dips into the lower 30's with a single card can be expected, but below that seems a little odd. Your CPU is not bottlenecking your single 680 I am pretty certain.

New info on final expansion "End Game". New Air Superiority mode for all you air junkies. I'd go ahead and call it what it really is, Jet Superiority mode. Haha, kidding, but I do get raped by jets a lot these days.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...superiority-mode-coming-to-battlefield-3.aspx

So....oh crap then? This could be BAD for snipers. Why can't those buzzards just let me snipe in peace? They might as well have called it, "Rip off sniper's head and s**t down his neck mode".

Last edited:

1b0b1

Dec 19, 2012
Your problem is difficult to pin down since much of the problem is perceived rather than measurable (at least i don't know how to measure it, maybe someone else does). You mention that it doesn't feel smooth, yet your FPS is high. Sometimes I notice little jitters or shakes when I pan around in BF3. Its not always there, but this is a perceived stuttering that I notice despite high FPS. Its not always like that though.
Dips into the lower 30's with a single card can be expected, but below that seems a little odd. Your CPU is not bottlenecking your single 680 I am pretty certain.

I tried every possible solution with no luck.
thanks anyways

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
For the PC players that didn't get BF1943...From battlefield.wikia.com

The only objective in the Air Superiority mode is to eliminate the enemy aircraft and secure the air above the map. In order to take the control of the air the team must have more players in the air than the opposite team. Leaving the aircraft carrier or the plane once you're away from the carrier results in death within 9 seconds. The team which runs out of tickets first loses the match.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Sounds like BF3 is not the game for you, or are you complaining just to complain?

It is actually, I like it. I just play only on Hardcore now, and Infantry only when available. Not as nice, because I do enjoy having the helis and thus jets part of the game, but, it's a tradoff I'm willing to make. Hardcore + Infantry only = so much better on the realism scale.

I just find it ironic, and funny, that they're coming out with an add-on that is how the game should have been mostly for jets from the start.

Chuck