**OFFICIAL** AT Battlefield 3 FAQ and News Thread

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by GullyFoyle, Feb 5, 2011.

1. raasco

raasco Platinum Member

2. DeadFred

DeadFred Platinum Member

The xbow is garbage!

Tried the HE bolts and they drop like a stone and do no damage at all. I got 3 hitmarkers on a guy with splash damage and 2 were very close and it still didnt kill him and that was on hardcore!

3. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle Diamond Member

Battlelog - Anti-cheat update: Quicker bans and reminder how to report cheaters

4. raasco

raasco Platinum Member

I really don't notice many people hacking currently. Maybe it's the fact I tend to stay away from Metro. That map seems to attract hackers like crazy. That said, I'm pretty sure some guy was walling on Monolith the other night. He would always magically know exactly where I was while attempting to cap a point from several different approaches.

5. moonbogg

moonbogg Diamond Member

I tried the regular bolts a few times, and you know what? I forgot all about that Xbow ever since. I wasn't impressed. It just felt like a giant rubber band powered toy that flings straws.

Its hard to say sometimes if someone is hacking. Aim hacks are usually easily noticed due to the unnatural feel to the shots as they hit you. Wall hacks though...who knows. In online gaming we have to deal with that crap. Keep in mind that there ARE people who are very good and can get in your head and anticipate what you are going to do sometimes.
    Last night I came across a sniper that most people would have assumed right away that he was hacking. He was instantly on you and very fasy and accurate, but I don't suspect he was hacking due to the natural feel of his shots. So, as we get better and better, finding someone who is better than us becomes rare. But when it happens it can be a real surprise.

#11205 moonbogg, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  6. raasco

raasco Platinum Member

Having been a server admin in CS:S for 3 years, I would state that I'm pretty good at picking up on wallhacks. Considering that I did not have the chance to spec him, it truly is only a guess, but an educated one. Wallhacks usually don't bother me in a fast paced game like BF3 because usually reaction time can trump a noob with them.

7. moonbogg

moonbogg Diamond Member

Yeah, as a sniper I don't really care about wall hacks either since they have to be fast enough to shoot me first anyway. Plus, with 3D spotting that orange marker acts like a legal wall hack often times for everyone.

8. GullyFoyle

Origin - Save On Battlefield 3 Premium And Get Early Access To Aftermath

9. raasco

raasco Platinum Member

I must say, a full year later and this game still amazes me. Especially now that I can crank up the graphics.

10. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

Oh yes.

I routinely play with triple monitors, with a full spanned resolution. My 560 Ti 2GB cards in SLI (2x) can hardly keep up, and since I aim as close to 60fps as I can get, I play on almost all Low settings with one or two Mediums, though it still drops to 45fps or thereabouts in some areas. Regardless, it is silky smooth (at one point, forever ago, I had microstutter thanks to the SLI, that was UGH).

But one thing I look forward to, when LANing up with some buddies and Ace Squading with them, is I drop down to one monitor, and get to max out to almost full Ultra settings. It's silky smooth and looks absolutely gorgeous.

11. skipsneeky2

skipsneeky2 Diamond Member

Gotta step up your specs to a pair of gtx670s or like 7970s:p That or drop back down to a single display,my 7850 for the most part with all medium and no msaa manhandles 1920x1200 and for the most part refuses to drop under 60fps from what i have seen so far.

12. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

I just built this rig a year ago. I can't justify the upgrade cost, and my checking account barks at me, and foams at the mouth, whenever I even think about it.

Oh, I would very much love to. I've been eyeing the current generation, but I am also hoping to see Nvidia push their game a little more, and for them to do it sometime soon.

Ideally, I'd love to completely drop from SLI altogether and rock out a single beastly card... at the time, GTX500 series, could not handle NV Surround on a single card, and based on various issues (which has been reaffirmed with recent games to boot), I wanted to stick to Nvidia.

And since I bought the three monitors for that express purpose (it was for iRacing specifically, BF3 ended up being a treat that has since been rather addicting), I just cannot go back voluntarily. The only reason I drop to one monitor is there is no way I am dragging three monitors to a LAN, and my buddy's place doesn't have the table space anyway. :p But in the process I am at least rewarded with amazing visuals.
    But if I have them, and can use them, I will do so, because it actually is rather nice in BF3.
    Wish I could do it with Planetside 2, but the game/engine just isn't optimized enough to allow it, if at all on my rig it would be awful graphics. The other glaring issue is FOV is just screwed up completely, so it's not really even ready yet for Surround/Eyefinity regardless.
    At least BF3 looks great even with lower settings. It's a great engine that is also wonderfully optimized for modern systems.
    But when I can afford it, I will definitely upgrade so I can have Ultra settings at 6060x1080 (bezel-corrected). By that time comes around, there will be another game that forces me to lower the graphical settings to enable Surround. As much as I hate to request it, I hope BF4 is that game. Who knows if they'll have Frostbite 3 ready, and if it'll be a drastic improvement or just an iteration with a few improvements.

13. coldmeat

coldmeat Diamond Member

WTF? Why do I have to install a 4gb patch every time I want to play this game? Was looking to play some tonight, but at ~200kb/s it's not going to happen.

edit: ETA 24 hours on a 10mb connection. I thought I would give this game another shot, since I had nothing to do tonight. Well I learned my lesson for good this time.

#11213 coldmeat, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  14. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

How long has it been since you played?

Do you have Premium and already have Aftermath? Don't have Premium, and no Aftermath yet? It sounds early for non-premium, but it could be Aftermath.

If you haven't played in a few weeks, yeah, there was a massive 3.5GBish patch a day or two (or thereabouts) before Premium players had Aftermath become available, which itself was then another nearly 4GB download.

It sucks when you don't play often. I haven't played in a week, you scared me into thinking they had another patch. I just loaded up Origin and checked for updates, I only had like a 60KB patch to download (might not have even been a patch, and just the transfer to check for a patch. Never paid attention to what the result of "no new patch" actually looked like in the data column).

edit:
    in general, those massive patches are fairly rare. I'd wager quarterly, and typically around the release of an expansion. That seems to be when they do they major overhauls of weapons and tweak a great number of things.
    So if you only load up the game once every few months, yeah, it absolutely sucks. Thus, you should load it up more often.
    They are constantly working on the entire game (not always to our praise, but they try and work on balances and improve certain aspects), and the only real fail is the patch delivery system, or specifically, the game package file system which doesn't allow easy slipstream of data into existing file stores. It is possible, I guess, they actually change 3GB+ worth of actual data, but for some strange reason I doubt it.

#11214 destrekor, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  15. Zargon

Zargon Lifer

so you havent played in 3-4 months, and there was a big patch and DLC drop and you are complaining........?

boooo hoooo

16. VulgarDisplay

VulgarDisplay Diamond Member

Also, 200kb/s can't be origin's fault, but your connection. I download from steam at 2mb/s and origin gives me up to 3mb/s. Origin is ridiculously fast.

17. Phoenix86

Phoenix86 Lifer

I have a 6mb/s connection and it took 6 hours to download, this was on patch day. /shurg

18. Zargon

Zargon Lifer

yup Origin is way faster than steam

19. GullyFoyle

Battlelog - Server update eliminates 3 bugs

20. GullyFoyle

Battlefieldo - End Game Early Details

#11220 GullyFoyle, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  21. maevinj

maevinj Senior member

22. Durvelle27

Durvelle27 Diamond Member

Miss playing this

23. moonbogg

moonbogg Diamond Member

Capture the flag sounds bitchin. Looking forward to sniping blokes clean off of their dirt bikes.

24. DeadFred

DeadFred Platinum Member

I wanna roadkill peeps with a dirt bike, preferably snipers. :D

25. moonbogg

moonbogg Diamond Member

LOL. It sounds like we have a date.