*** Official ASUS K8V/DELUXE (K8T800) Thread ***

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rocktavio

May 4, 2001
How do you get the audio post warning to work? The manual for this board says that when there is a probelm prior to the video coming on, there should be some audio error message that tell you what is wrong. I get nothing. I just bought one of these Artic Cooling VGA silencers that everyone has been raving about and put it on my Saphire 9700PRO card. I followed the instructions on the package but now when I stick the card back in the machine it won't boot...no post no beeps...nothing. I scraped off as much of the heat pad as I could on the VPU but some was left. This should not affect it though right...maybe not as good heat transfer but I doubt it would cause it not to boot right? So I am trying to figure out if the video is the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? How do I know if card is dead? The new fan spins up and everything but there is nothing on the screen.

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Algere
CPU-Z should read 200 MHz(more or less)

Tried manually setting the memory frequency in BIOS?

What settings can I set it to in the BIOS to reach 400Mhz?

Rocktavio

May 4, 2001
I guess I will try sticking the card into another machine and see what happens, but the card was in this machine prior to my installing this new heatsink fan. It was working just fine. UGH...there goes a great card down the drain. I had been looking at the 9800PRO deals going on, but hoping to stick this card in one of my other machines and have two nice machines to play UT2K4 with. I guess I will not be trying this again.:disgust:

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: neokenzo
CPU-Z should read 200 MHz(more or less)

Tried manually setting the memory frequency in BIOS?

What settings can I set it to in the BIOS to reach 400Mhz?

In BIOS

Advanced > CPU Configuration > Memory Configuration > MemClock Mode (switch to "limit" if it's on auto)

new Memory option available after "limit" is selected

MemClock to CPU Ratio ...... then select [ 2:1 (DDR 400) ]

Cool2024

Mar 17, 2004
Hi,

My board will not display anything to the video card and nothing lights up on the keyboard after pressing the on button.

First of all I got to this position by trying to set my memory timings to 2-3-3-6 in bios. After reboot, the bios said it failed checksum so I inserted the driver CDROM and it successfully replaced the bios with the one in the cd. After reboot it booted fine but the bios had changed (suspect mobo came with a later version bios than the one on the cdrom). Being the insane person that I am I tried resetting the memory timings to 2-3-3-6. After reboot the board does not display anything but the fans are working. Oh and my LCD monitor now shows everything with a permanent blue tint for some odd reason.

Any ideas on what to do?

Rocktavio

May 4, 2001
Reset the BIOS. I had similar problems when I tried setting my memory to a very aggressive setting. There is a reset button on the motherboard. You can look this up in your manual. You may need to pull the BIOS battery for it to work. Hope this helps

Cool2024

Mar 17, 2004
I followed the instructions in the manual and reset the bios about 4 or 5 times but to no avail. I'm callling it quits and bringing it to "professionals" to fix it. I've spent about 4 whole days building this thing and following everything said in this forum and still can't get it to work. I'm probably a special case since im such a noob. Oh well thanks for all the help guys you've been great.

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
I'm not so sure it's because you're a newb. Anand gave this board a thumbs up, but I have to tell you that I am NOT impressed with it.

Issues with RAM, issues with BIOS, no self-updating drivers (think MSI), issues with the sound, the onboard NIC is not on the WinXP AMD64bit CD, stability (as reported here)

I wish I had gone with my gut, and gone with the MSI board. :(

Granted I'm not a bios expert, but it shouldn't be this hard to get this board reasonably well tweaked.

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
In BIOS

Advanced > CPU Configuration > Memory Configuration > MemClock Mode (switch to "limit" if it's on auto)

new Memory option available after "limit" is selected

MemClock to CPU Ratio ...... then select [ 2:1 (DDR 400) ]

I tried that and once my pc booted up there was a loud and long beep coming from my mobo which I presumed that I cant run it at 400Mhz. So I went back to BIOS and changed it to 333Mhz. When I open CPU-Z it is only showing my memory frequency as 170.8Mhz. Is that right?

What kind of setting do I need to do so that I can run at 400Mhz?

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
I'm not so sure it's because you're a newb. Anand gave this board a thumbs up, but I have to tell you that I am NOT impressed with it.

I agree woodie!
It's taking me over a month now and I still don't have this board set up correctly. It just seemed everything that could go wrong (not ALL the boards fault) did go wrong. All my other computers on my home network are Asus A7N8X-Deluxes and they were all a piece of cake to set up.
Why is this board so freakin finicky about memory and memory settings? UGH!
I've been building my own computers for the last few years and thought I was out of the "noob" stage until this build......

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Well I got my new system up and running. Along with my K8V deluxe I've got an athlon 64 3000+, a 9800pro, and 1 gig of pc3500 muskin ram. Unfortunately, it keeps locking up on me in games. Sometimes it will work for 2 hours, other times it will lock up immediately when I start playing a game. I've tried disabling agp fastwrites, bumping agp down to 4x, messing with the agp aperature, disabling vpu recovery, and combinations of those. Now I'm going to try rolling back my video card drivers, but I'm not expecting much.

update: rolling back to the cat. 4.2's didn't help

Fortron Aurora Series 350W - that's my psu

Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3500 Level One Dual Pack">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-294&depa=0[/S</a> - that's my memory

charloscarlies

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
Just got this board last week and haven't had a single problem with my setup. Everything works absolutely flawlessly.

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
170.8 is somewhat high for DDR333 operation which should be operating @ 166-167 MHz & by the sounds of it the extra Mhz on your ram frequency is caused by a slight overclock on the FSB.

Assuming that when setting it to DDR400 it becomes somewhat overclocked above the capable operating frequency of your ram(which exceeds DDR400 operation speeds) and perhaps the reason it doesn't boot up at DDR400.

Let's say

170.8 x 2 = 341.6 MHz (8.6 MHz DDR above normal)

102.5 x 2 = 205 MHz (5 MHz DDR above normal)

So if you were to set it to run @ DDR400 I'm gonna take a guess and say that it would read in CPU-Z as 205 MHz in CPU-Z or which calculates to 410 MHz DDR which assumingly your ram isn't capable of operating specifically at those memory timings ergo causing failure on bootup.

To put it simply your CPU FSB Frequency is set to 205 MHz which should normally be @ 200 MHz(default) in the BIOS.

Solution: In BIOS

Advanced > Jumperfree Configuration > CPU FSB Frequency (change to 200 MHz)

JMJ88

Jan 26, 2000
Does anyone know where the mobo temp sensor is on this thing? My mobo reports temps equal to or higher than my CPU, and my CPU hovers around 34C. Mobo is usually around 35C. I don't think this is any indication of my case temp, because the side panels of my case are cold to the touch. My guess is this sensor is near something hot, possibly next to something that blocks it's airflow.

If anyone can point me to the sensor's location on the board, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks

rolodomo

Mar 19, 2004
Cubic,

I'm using 512x2 of Mushkin, Lvl I, PC3500memory, a 9800pro, and a 3200+. My system has been running smoothly for about two weeks and i've put it under a heavy game load at times.

One thing is different, I'm using a 420W power supply because I've read that a 350W would be borderline with my setup (1 Gig of RAM, the 9800, serial ATA drives, CDs, DVDs, etc.).

I've set the memory to 2-2-3-7 (or 2-3-2-7, not sure) and I am running it at DDR400. I was able to set it to 2-2-3-5 but Mushkin warns against that. One thing I can't do is get 2-2-2 out of the memory (system won't boot up). I've also been able to slightly overclock to FB=205 with no stability problems.

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
170.8 is somewhat high for DDR333 operation which should be operating @ 166-167 MHz & by the sounds of it the extra Mhz on your ram frequency is caused by a slight overclock on the FSB.

Assuming that when setting it to DDR400 it becomes somewhat overclocked above the capable operating frequency of your ram(which exceeds DDR400 operation speeds) and perhaps the reason it doesn't boot up at DDR400.

Let's say

170.8 x 2 = 341.6 MHz (8.6 MHz DDR above normal)

102.5 x 2 = 205 MHz (5 MHz DDR above normal)

So if you were to set it to run @ DDR400 I'm gonna take a guess and say that it would read in CPU-Z as 205 MHz in CPU-Z or which calculates to 410 MHz DDR which assumingly your ram isn't capable of operating specifically at those memory timings ergo causing failure on bootup.

To put it simply your CPU FSB Frequency is set to 205 MHz which should normally be @ 200 MHz(default) in the BIOS.

Solution: In BIOS

Advanced > Jumperfree Configuration > CPU FSB Frequency (change to 200 MHz)

So basically my RAM wont allow me to go above 400Mhz? Does that mean I wont be able to overclock my cpu?
I checked my BIOS and the CPU FSB Frequency is already at 200Mhz. Does that mean I wont be able to push my memory to 400Mhz?

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: rolodomo
Cubic,

I'm using 512x2 of Mushkin, Lvl I, PC3500memory, a 9800pro, and a 3200+. My system has been running smoothly for about two weeks and i've put it under a heavy game load at times.

One thing is different, I'm using a 420W power supply because I've read that a 350W would be borderline with my setup (1 Gig of RAM, the 9800, serial ATA drives, CDs, DVDs, etc.).

I've set the memory to 2-2-3-7 (or 2-3-2-7, not sure) and I am running it at DDR400. I was able to set it to 2-2-3-5 but Mushkin warns against that. One thing I can't do is get 2-2-2 out of the memory (system won't boot up). I've also been able to slightly overclock to FB=205 with no stability problems.

Yeah, I have definitely been thinking that power might be the issue. It's not my ram or mobo, because I tried the 9800pro in two other systems and got the same exact problem. Unfortunately, the other two systems had 300 watt psus (although they were both antecs). At this point, I'm thinking I'll just RMA the video card- if that doens't fix the problem I'll get a new psu as well. Thanks for the input.

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: neokenzo

So basically my RAM wont allow me to go above 400Mhz? Does that mean I wont be able to overclock my cpu?
I checked my BIOS and the CPU FSB Frequency is already at 200Mhz. Does that mean I wont be able to push my memory to 400Mhz?[/quote]

I hope that isn't the case, earlier I set the CPU FSB frequency on my K8V-D to 205 for testing purposes and came out with the exact same memory frequency of 170.8 MHz you had for DDR333. Assuming that was the problem (as thought earlier).

I don't remember the exact name of the setting but the options were [Auto] [Standard] [Turbo]. If you can find it try setting it to auto. I know the turbo setting can cause instability problems as it does overclock some settings and assumingly can override the memory timings set by the user.

Question:

1. When your system is running @ DDR333 frequency does CPU-Z's CPU frequency readout read @ or near your stock CPU frequency?
2. Tried resetting the BIOS or loading default settings? Normally if set to default it'll run @ your memory's default capable operating frequency i.e. 400 MHz.

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
I hope that isn't the case, earlier I set the CPU FSB frequency on my K8V-D to 205 for testing purposes and came out with the exact same memory frequency of 170.8 MHz you had for DDR333. Assuming that was the problem (as thought earlier).

I don't remember the exact name of the setting but the options were [Auto] [Standard] [Turbo]. If you can find it try setting it to auto. I know the turbo setting can cause instability problems as it does overclock some settings and assumingly can override the memory timings set by the user.

Question:

1. When your system is running @ DDR333 frequency does CPU-Z's CPU frequency readout read @ or near your stock CPU frequency?
2. Tried resetting the BIOS or loading default settings? Normally if set to default it'll run @ your memory's default capable operating frequency i.e. 400 MHz.

1. My CPU reads at 2050Mhz as the HTT reads at 205Mhz. This was set on Turbo at Performance Mode.
2. I had tried loading BIOS default setting and my memory was running at 100Mhz. I think when the memory configuration is set at auto, it runs at 200Mhz instead of my ram speed.

I have also tried changing my Performance Mode to Auto and Standard and then changed my memory settings to DDR400. Neither would load windows. It just goes to a blank screen. I even tried setting everything on memory configuration to auto apart from the DDR400 and still the same thing. No matter what I have done so far, the moment it is at DDR400, it wont load windows.

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
200MHz DDR or 200MHz readout on CPU-Z for memory frequency?

When you did the BIOS reset I forgot to suggest that you may also wanna clear the CMOS via jumper & lastly how many sticks of ram & ram size per stick do you have installed? (Reference: Pages 2-12 & 2-13 of the K8V Manual)

The K8V or any other motherboard based on the K8T800 chipset won't support more than 2 x double sided ram @ DDR400 frequency.

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
Algere:
It reads 100Mhz DDR which equals to 200Mhz on BIOS default setting.
I will try clearing CMOS and post the results here.
I have 2 x 512MB EL PC3200 Platinum Limited Edition OCZ. I have them installed on DIMM 2 and DIMM 3 slots. I cant change them because my hdd are set on RAID0.

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
wow never heard of incapabilities between changing/switching memory into different dimm slots and storage before.

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
I actually tried changing one of my memory slot from DIMM2 to DIMM1. As soon as I start my machine it says that my RAID array is broken and wont allow windows to boot. I tried everything but nothing works. Then I moved the memory back to its original slot and everything was okay again. Did I do something wrong? The setttings?

Or is it just me, whatever I touch doesnt seem to be working? :)