*** Official ASUS K8V/DELUXE (K8T800) Thread ***

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Snark42
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia
Anyone have a good link that describes exactly what the deluxe has that the non-deluxe doesn't?

Wifi (I think that's all, It depends on which version of the dleuxe you get. one deluxe has "scalable Hyper Transport" and the other deluxe as well as the non-deluxe do not have this scalable hyper transport)

What's the difference between scalable and non-scalable?

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia
Anyone have a good link that describes exactly what the deluxe has that the non-deluxe doesn't?

Wifi (I think that's all, It depends on which version of the dleuxe you get. one deluxe has "scalable Hyper Transport" and the other deluxe as well as the non-deluxe do not have this scalable hyper transport)

I was wondering about that yesterday

Does scalable mean that the Deluxe version will have a upgradeable hypertransport by way of a BIOS update or is the difference between "scalable" and "800 MHz" some sort of marketing trick?

Snark42

Feb 19, 2004
I actually don't know what the "scalable" part is. I don't know whether that means that it will allow you to overclock better or get a BIOS update which ups the speed of the Hyper Transport.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Unless I missed it, it doesn't say anything about "scalable hypertransport" on the asus website or in the K8V Deluxe Manual. I'm leaning towards it just being a marketing ploy, but I really have no idea.

Shears

Mar 3, 2004
Is there a good 1GB memory pack that everyone can agree on for the Asus K8V-Deluxe? I'm in search of ram for it, but I can't find something I'm comfortable on. All I tend to find is contradictory information.

So what's the best ram for the K8V?

joesmo

Feb 25, 2004
:( same problems back again memory timing change lasted a few days.now getting the same error message on boot up .hardware initiate failed ,please check device!!! the bios does not be installed. sometimes i can get it to boot doing a cold boot and it recognizes the drives ,restarts no good...........k8v dlx ,mushkin lvl 1 pc3500,radeon 9600xt,2 sata 120g seagates striped.

Axdrenalin

Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Shears
Is there a good 1GB memory pack that everyone can agree on for the Asus K8V-Deluxe? I'm in search of ram for it, but I can't find something I'm comfortable on. All I tend to find is contradictory information.

So what's the best ram for the K8V?

I'm using Kingston PC4000 HyperX Unbuffered DDR500 in my K8V Deluxe, and its been working flawlessly for me. Circuit CIty has it cheap for $130 a 512meg stick, which is better than even Newegg! I didn't even get a matched set, I just bought them seperately, and not one problem.

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
I got my mobo to post the first time I got it set up properly, ie - plugging the ATX 12V plug in. Everything works fine and I am happy with it.
I used Zalman CNPS 7000A Al-cu and my case is Thermaltake XaserV Damier V5000A series. The case comes with its own cpu fan control which I connect it to. So now everytime I boot up, there's a "CPU fan error" detected from my mobo. Is there a way to turn this off?

Also, at the moment I set my memory as Auto in the BIOS. How do I check what latency is it running as auto? I am using 1GB EL PC3200 Platinum Limited Edition from OCZ which from their website are able to have latency 2-2-2-7. I would like to push my memory to the maximum but from what I read here, the mobo doesnt quite like tight timing. What would be the next best latency I can have for my memory?

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
Neo,
Instead of auto try these settings form your memory:

cas-2
trcd-3
trp-2
tras-7

leave the rest in auto. If you can get your system to work with these setting then you can try and drop the trcd to 2.
Good luck.

Snark42

Feb 19, 2004
I just bought a 1GB (2x512) pack of OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum Edition. It says right on the package that it can run at 2-3-2-5 (which you can probably push to 2-2-2-6 if you want). Although this tight timing isn't required so much for this board (and can actually give you problems), this is still great RAM. One of the fastest out there (maxing out and NF7 board at 466MHz).

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
I just bought a 1GB (2x512) pack of OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum Edition. It says right on the package that it can run at 2-3-2-5 (which you can probably push to 2-2-2-6 if you want). Although this tight timing isn't required so much for this board (and can actually give you problems), this is still great RAM. One of the fastest out there (maxing out and NF7 board at 466MHz).

What kind of timings do you have for your memory?

Snark42

Feb 19, 2004
Originally posted by: neokenzo

What kind of timings do you have for your memory?

I won't know until tomorrow night. I'm picking up my ASUS K8V Deluxe and my A64 3200+ after work tomorow. I'll let you know how low I can get, probably sometime on saturday I'll know.

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: XRdirtHead
Neo,
Instead of auto try these settings form your memory:

cas-2
trcd-3
trp-2
tras-7

leave the rest in auto. If you can get your system to work with these setting then you can try and drop the trcd to 2.
Good luck.

I tried that settings and it boot up okay and everything running fine. 2-2-2-7 next :)

Swild

Mar 13, 2004
Green Power LED on K8V mobo not lighting up. Flickered and died.

Asus K8V Delux
AMD 64 3200+ CPU
Antec SLK3700-BQE case (w/ 350W psu)
Corsair XMS 3200 Low Latency 512MB SDRAM memory
STB VGA PCI Graphics adapter (PCI Slot 2)
1 x Seagate ST380011A 80GB HDD (IDE Primary Master)
1 x Cyber CDROM Drive (IDE Secondary Master)

Assembled new unit. Careful with power and use earth strap.
Did not install 3.5 FDD (maybe later)
To initially build and stabilise system I installed an STB VGA PCI adapter in PCI slot 2 (from CPU)
Powered up OK. POST OK.
No changes to BIOS except for time and date and boot order. Disabled 3.5FDD. USB Ports set at 4 ports (instead of 8).
BIOS recognised Seagate as master on IDE Primary ok. Recognised CDROM Drive as Master on IDE Secondary ok.
Booted from WIN2K PRO CD in CDROM drive.
Formatted C: Drive. Completed W2K install to first reboot OK.
Rebooted. BIOS loaded OK. WIN2K started but screen went blank.
Power reset and selected F8 on startup to load W2K in safe mode.
OS come up. Checked VGA driver. No driver installed (huh?). Loaded basic VGA driver. W2K restart (note WIN2K restart not system restart)
System powered down OK but did not restart.
Had to disconnect power cord for 20 minutes or so before unit would power up again.
Managed to get to OS again but when selected restart from OS again. System powered down but would not restart.
Left unit overnight and then reconnected power cord and turned unit on.
Green led on mobo came on but flickered and eventually went out.
Cannot get unit to power on at all now. Power source and cord confirmed OK.
K8V CAPACITOR ISSUE: Investigated Capacitor issue and 6 capacitors installed along side of CPU are RLZ 0337, not the RLZ 0333 which has been advised by ASUS as problematic. Not sure what the boards are being shipped with from ASUS with now after capacitor issue resolved.
Concerned about green led fading instead of either hard on or hard off.
Have tried reseating CPU, disconnecting power from HDD and CDROM, reseating memory, resetting BIOS. No change. Still unable to get green led to light up.
PSU fan does not come on.
No evidence of any hardware problems other than no green LED on mobo.
I am reasonably experienced. 3rd assembly of own unit from new. 20+ assemblies of units over many years.
Assembly conducted with earth strap - religiously. Very careful removing power cord when hands on with mobo.

I've exhausted my own thought now looking for other idea's comments..

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
I've had occasional issues with this mobo, as well as my last one, when trying restarts from the OS.

Generally, OS reboots seem to fail/hang, depending on overclocking settings. I had that problem today with mine, as I was trying various o/c settings. I don't know what else to tell you.

On a side note, I'm having very poor luck o/cing this setup, and I'm not sure why.
Athlon 64 3000+
512x1, Geiel, PC3200
Asus K8V/Deluxe
Radeon 9600SE
LSI Ultra SCSI controller
--onboard LAN
--onboard sound
--front audio/usb/firewire
Antec PSU
IDE DVD drive
2xSCSI drives (non-raid)
Max FSB: 205 - stable, w/ CPU speed/voltage to AUTO. Several instability issues, non-heat related. (BSOD, failure to boot, dropping out of Explorer, UT2004, CounterStrike)
Upping the CPU Voltage appears to make no difference, based on CPUz and Asus Probe. Odd.

Swild

Mar 13, 2004
Have checked power supply unit. With switch on I get a minor (<1v) read on pin 9 to mobo (Pwr Stdby) and nothing on pin 8 to mobo (Power Good). Compared with working Power Supply Unit and should at least get 5v on pin 8 whether switch is on or off. Looks like something has jerked off the PSU and I'll need to replace before continuing.

Pyrate

Mar 14, 2004
I recommend not going cheap on the ram for this board. It is really picky. I use Geil value ram and i luckily have no problems. PeI would recommend going with the recommended ram from the asus website.

Swild

Mar 13, 2004
Finally sorted my machine out.
PSU broke during first 7 days of use. Reseller RMA'd it no problems.
ANTEC ship the SLK3700-BQE case with SL350S PSU. Was not able to swap replacement with Antec 380W Truepower PSU even if I paid the extra dollars. So bought the 380W Trupower unit anyway.
Installed Truepower unit and keeping the 350W as spare.
BIOS talking to me now. No restart problems.
Disabled RAID (not using just yet)
Took advice from comments here and manually configured memory for 333MHz not auto.
Installed single Corsair XMS 3200LL 512MB and no problems. This is OK'd by Corsair for the K8V but not listed by ASUS. I figured when niether the Memory or the Motherboard manufacturer recommend a combination (in this case ASUS K8V with Corsair XMS 3200LL 512MB), I stay well away, when only one recommend the combination (Corsair in this case) it's a risk I'm prepare dto run. When both recommend the combination, much better (but not this time, ASUS not listing this specific memory module (yet)).
BTW the only thing that makes any noise on this super quite build is the CDROM drive.
I feel the frustrations dropping away.
Thanks for feedback and comments from the forum. Happy to provide more info if questions.
:D

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
I do like the Asus mobo but there are still some things I am not sure of.

1. In BIOS, I set my memory as
cas-2
trcd-2
trp-2
tras-7
The rest of it I set as auto. How do I know whether its running as 400Mhz or 333Mhz?

Secondly, it takes about 1 minute for my rig to boot up. Most of it is in the BIOS page. I have disable Asus screen and enable fast boot. After reading the BIOS, it looks like its trying to find something coz it has _ blinking on a black screen. Hows do I fix this? Is there a way I can make my pc boot faster?

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
Thanks for that link Algere.

It says I'm running my memory only on 102.5Mhz? Surely it cant be that low? How do I increase it?

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
CPU-Z should read 200 MHz(more or less)

Tried manually setting the memory frequency in BIOS?