*** Official ASUS K8V/DELUXE (K8T800) Thread ***

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Woodie
You'll need the SATA drivers on a floppy in order to install XP. (press F6 during setup, to point it to the SATA drivers on the floppy.)

Should I download 378raid_100137.zip or 378ata_100104528.zip from Asus website for the SATA drivers? Also when during XP setup should I press F6?

Edited: Edited the url :)

Axdrenalin

Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Regs
There has been a few people who have noticed random Hard drive reboots during power up. Apparently, for some odd reason, older hard drives don't like ASUS's IDE channels. Most likely because of out of date firmware on year-old 7200 RPM drives.
But when the HDD's are on the #1 IDE connector and opticals on the 2nd IDE connecter located on the motherboard, the hard drives restart during the boot process.

I had to make sure my optical drives were on IDE connector 1 and hard discs on IDE connector 2.

Question: Does the new Bios offer a performance increase?

Hey Guys (especially YOU Regs!)

I just wanted to shout out a huge THANK YOU to all the members in this forum. I bought myself a K8V Deluxe, athlon 64 3200 and a gig of Kingston DDR500, and it arrived yesterday. From the moment I fired it up, I had this issue with the HD resetting itself (WD 120 gig 8 meg PATA) on bootup. Thinking it was the drive, I fished out a brand spanking new WD 80 gig 8 meg PATA, only to have it do the same thing. Then I tried a MAxtor 80 gig - same thing! After some long hours looking and researching, I stumbled into this forum and found the quote above from REGS! I swapped the HD to IDE port 2 and haven't had any more issues with it at all...

So now I'm happy with the whole setup, and I've moved up in the world!!! (Well, not too far, I was using an A7N8X Deluxe, Barton 2500@3200 with a gig of Corsair XMS - That'll go in one of my other 5 boxen!)

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!

Respectfully,

Robert Sutherland
Axdrenalin

jacktripper

Feb 25, 2004

Should I download 378raid_100137.zip or 378ata_100104528.zip from Asus website for the SATA drivers? Also when during XP setup should I press F6?

the drivers are on the cd that comes with the board also, read the " read me "file explains exactly, press f6 at the beginning of setup....check out the AMD site has step by step

Axdrenalin

Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: jacktripper

the drivers are on the cd that comes with the board also, read the " read me "file explains exactly, press f6 at the beginning of setup....check out the AMD site has step by step

If you're using a single SATA drive, get the 378ATA version, if your using two or more SATA and in a RAID config, get the RAID version.

Also, you'll press F6 on your WinXP install at or near the very beginning of the install. It'll prompt you to hit F6 to install 3rd party drivers, you hit F6 and wait. It'll prompt you again to insert the flopppy withthe drivers on it. If you haven't already make your drivers floppy, you need to do it prior to installation.

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
Error on start up:

Speech reporter: System failed due to CPU overclocking

I have two sticks of corsair xms 512mb ECC ram. I can boot if I only have one stick in. I tried to relax the memory timing but that didn't help.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

SpaceRanger

Mar 16, 2001
Also, since the BIOS doesn't tell you what your memory timings are when you have them selected as AUTO, you can use MemTest86+ to see what ratings you are using.

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
Originally posted by: XRdirtHead
Error on start up:

Speech reporter: System failed due to CPU overclocking

I have two sticks of corsair xms 512mb ECC ram. I can boot if I only have one stick in. I tried to relax the memory timing but that didn't help.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

I had that problem too, XRdirtHead. To fix it, I put the 2 sticks in the RIGHTtwo memory slots. It wouldn't work if I had them in slots 1 and 2, but it worked for 2 and 3. I never did test slots 1 and 3, but I don't think it would work. Granted, I don't have ECC ram, I have 2 sticks of Crucial. Hope this helps.

EDIT I noticed I typed left when I ment right.

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
I think this must be bad memory. I put it in my Asus A7N8X Deluxe and all I got was one long beep and had to reset cmos...

Could someone tell me please what memory will actually work with this board....

neokenzo

Mar 3, 2004
I'm using OCZ memory. The board did post and I let the board ran for about 1 hour to check the temp. Everything went well then. However, I havent done anything since then so I'm not sure how well will it work once Windows is install.

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
My reply from Corsair:

Ed,
I am sorry but that MB and CPU will not support registered memory, please see if the reseller will let you exchange for Twinx1024-3200LL. With no "R" or "RE" in the part#.
Thank You!

Whats the difference between these two:

LINK

LINK

Snark42

Feb 19, 2004
Originally posted by: XRdirtHead
My reply from Corsair:

Ed,
I am sorry but that MB and CPU will not support registered memory, please see if the reseller will let you exchange for Twinx1024-3200LL. With no "R" or "RE" in the part#.
Thank You!

Whats the difference between these two:

LINK

LINK

One has a black heat spreader and one has a Platinum heat spreader. That the only difference I saw.

Caminetto

Jul 29, 2001
Thought it might be of some interest to report on my system build using the K8V. Everything has been solid for 2 weeks now. I went for quiet on this setup since it is near the living area of my home. The K8V appears to be a qualiity mobo. Had no trouble in using the first and second memory slots with KingMax ram. Auto conifg for the ram was 2.5 4 4 6. memtest86 indicates everything is good at this point. Used the VIA over the Promise controller for my SATA drive (used makedisk utility from the Asus cd on another machine - at XP install hit F6, inserted floppy). Notice that there was not an option for using fat32 so tried out NTFS. Used some Artic silver 5 with the HS and Asus probe reports steady in use CPU temps around 36-38C. The onboard LAN (not using wireless) as well as the audio are great. Performance so far has been top notch, and surfing via Roadrunner @ 3000 down, makes web pages snap into place. I topped off with a Dell 2001FP, making this system a dream. Only one negative concerning the Asus, was that I never received a response from Asus tech support for an emailed question.

Some specs:
K8V Dlx
AMD 64 3200+
2 512 KingMax PC-3200
Maxtor 120GB SATA
Maxtor 60GB PATA
Plextor DVD Burner
Lite-on CD burner
Radeon 9800 Pro
Enernmax 470W noisetaker
ThermalTake SilentBoost
Zoom 56k modem
Using on-board lan and audio
5 panaflo's
Win XP

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
????? That board supports registered memory what is corsair talking about???? Your ram should be more stable than unbuffered ram. Don't know anything about ecc ram so would know what to change in the ecc ram section of the bios.

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
Viper,
I did see something in the bios about ecc but not sure what it does....goofed with it some but still couldn't get it working.

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
I'm trying to set up a raid 0.

I've read my stripe and cluster sizes should be the same....right?

To change cluster size a way to do it would be to boot to windows with a ide hd and then install the via sata drivers and then when windows can see the raid hd's I could then use windows to change from 4k to whatever my stripe size will be....right?

My ide hd has win98 on it. I can boot into windows but when I try to boot to my cd rom with xp in it so I can install xp on the ide hd xp can't see the ide drive. How can I boot to windows but then windows xp won't see it for the install.......

I was trying to do this with a sata hd on the promise contoller with xp already on it and my raid drives on the via contoller but windows kept seeing the hard drives on the via controller and wouldn't boot to the hd on the promise controller with windows on it. If I disable the via controller I can boot to windows on the promise controller but then I can't see the hd's I want to set up with raid....grrrr..
thanks for any help,
ed

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Well I'm a bit confused. Seems like most people here have had nothing but problems with this board, yet it is the recommended mobo in AT's March Cutting Edge System. From the article: "Having extensively tested the K8V Deluxe, we can assure that you will indeed enjoy a reliable and trouble free experience for the most part." So what exactly is the verdict on this board? Worth getting? Or should I look elsewhere?

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
If you know what your doing then this is the board to get. I guess i'm a noob so its been a learning experience....

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia
Well I'm a bit confused. Seems like most people here have had nothing but problems with this board, yet it is the recommended mobo in AT's March Cutting Edge System. From the article: "Having extensively tested the K8V Deluxe, we can assure that you will indeed enjoy a reliable and trouble free experience for the most part." So what exactly is the verdict on this board? Worth getting? Or should I look elsewhere?

Lots of people have trouble with boards that just come out. It can be totally related to BIOS issues, chipset driver issues, etc. The ASUS A7N8X Deluxe was widely considered a troublesome board when it originally came out and is now a stellar, stable nForce2 motherboard and the best of its kind (IMO). It takes a few weeks for the kinks to get worked out in drivers and BIOSes. I've built two tweaked out systems based on the K8V Deluxe, so I know it well. It's produced nothing but good things, literally not a single thing has gone wrong with either build, and we're going on 5 weeks now. Basically, make sure you pick the right memory (Level One for example), relax timings (2-2-2 is a no no) because A64 boards on the whole don't handle super tight timings well, and you're set to go.

To be fair, Wesley (our primary S940/S754 editor here) has had nothing but trouble with this board and hates it. I don't know when's the last time he tested the K8V Deluxe, but that was the case for him. Then again, these things just happen. I had a terrible experience with two bad P4C800-E motherboards from ASUS before I finally decided to just purchase a new one from a local retailer to see if the problems could be replicated from the two P4C800-E samples ASUS sent me that I was having so much trouble with. Low and behold the P4C800-E turns out to be a great board from the retailer I purchased it from, Wesley had great success with it, and most importantly users had great success with it after the initial BIOSes and driver kinks were worked out.

EDIT: Take a look at some user reviews of the K8V Deluxe here: http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=13-131-473

And in case you're wondering, there was apparently a bad batch of K8V Deluxe (low quality capacitors) that were released to the public that got yanked fast, and so a lot of early adopters received them and reported their poor results on the Internet. Reputable resellers no longer sell these boards, and if you have one of these old K8V Deluxe boards (RLZ0333 capacitors) you should return it for the newer version. They were only out a week or two as far as I understand.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Hey thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it. I happen to be the satisfied owner of an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, so I can see where you're coming from there. I am tenatively planning on getting the memory recommended in the same March Cutting Edge system guide, so I should be good to go in that respect. All right then, thanks much.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Anyone have a good link that describes exactly what the deluxe has that the non-deluxe doesn't?

Snark42

Feb 19, 2004
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia
Anyone have a good link that describes exactly what the deluxe has that the non-deluxe doesn't?

Wifi (I think that's all, It depends on which version of the dleuxe you get. one deluxe has "scalable Hyper Transport" and the other deluxe as well as the non-deluxe do not have this scalable hyper transport)