Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 266 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
hmmmm. But isn't that socket SP3, and different than TR ? and I don't see any TR3 motherboards available, but yes, thats interesting !

Edit: I found a single socket SP3 motherboard for $650 at newegg. Which are the 2P 24 cores ?
While it is currently out of stock at one place I looked, the 2 socket Supermicro board is $539.
Supermicro H11Dsi

Reactions: lightmanek

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
Hmm, so while Coffee Lake starts to grab more money, AMD actually did quite well in november Mindfactory data (retail sales of CPUs in a largish German etailer). If you didn't read about this data before, see the previous posts page or two ago for context/caveats, please.
(Data gathered and organised by Ingebor at Reddit)

3lKrfpL.png

Unit share holding or slightly rising.

ZLFQQXn.png

The revenue share actually went a bit up. People bought the higher-priced SKUs more.

Source:
https://imgur.com/a/ozrEU#3lKrfpL
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMD_Stock/comments/7h2n43/best_month_for_amd_so_far_intels_coffee_lake/

P.S. My own tacking suggests that sales were mostly around the october level (1600-1650 Ryzens and TRs/week) through the month but spiked strongly (+100%) in the last week, with some small increase the weak prior. So the effect of "black friday" and Christmas sales is rather diluted in the data, so far. How that momentum carries into december, I dunno. I didn't look at Intel's sales so no idea if they also got such a jump in the last week.

P.S.2 Seems that Coffee Lake sales rose, so the supply improved. But only slightly. Launch month had them sell 510 pieces of Core i7-8700K (large part sold/ordered the first day), november added 640 pieces. There was a substantial increase of i5-8400 from 60 to 330 pieces, but that is still a low number. For perspective, R7 1800X is 420/month and R5 1600 is 2700/month.

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Hmm, so while Coffee Lake starts to grab more money, AMD actually did quite well in november Mindfactory data (retail sales of CPUs in a largish German etailer). If you didn't read about this data before, see the previous posts page or two ago for context/caveats, please.
(Data gathered and organised by Ingebor at Reddit)

3lKrfpL.png

Unit share holding or slightly rising.

ZLFQQXn.png

The revenue share actually went a bit up. People bought the higher-priced SKUs more.

Source:
https://imgur.com/a/ozrEU#3lKrfpL
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMD_Stock/comments/7h2n43/best_month_for_amd_so_far_intels_coffee_lake/

P.S. My own tacking suggests that sales were mostly around the october level (1600-1650 Ryzens and TRs/week) through the month but spiked strongly (+100%) in the last week, with some small increase the weak prior. So the effect of "black friday" and Christmas sales is rather diluted in the data, so far. How that momentum carries into december, I dunno. I didn't look at Intel's sales so no idea if they also got such a jump in the last week.

P.S.2 Seems that Coffee Lake sales rose, so the supply improved. But only slightly. Launch month had them sell 510 pieces of Core i7-8700K (large part sold/ordered the first day), november added 640 pieces. There was a substantial increase of i5-8400 from 60 to 330 pieces, but that is still a low number. For perspective, R7 1800X is 420/month and R5 1600 is 2700/month.
The 1950x is selling okey and for months. What you guys think its used for?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
The 1950x is selling okey and for months. What you guys think its used for?
Well DC, and encoding are 2 things that come to mind. Also, its binned higher than the 1800X, and overclocks better IMO (I have both)

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek and ZGR
Feb 27, 2014
https://videocardz.com/74260/amds-james-prior-talks-ryzen-2-and-vega-11

AMD (Ry)zen 2 will use AM4 socket
James Prior reassured that AM4 socket is here to stay (till 2020). The work on Zen 2 has already begun when fundamental parts of Zen 1 were already known. The important thing here is to distinguish Zen 2 from Zen 1 tick-tock process. The upcoming Ryzen 2000 series are likely to use refined Zen+ architecture. A die shrink and architecture optimizations are to be expected. So the Ryzen 2, or more precisely Zen 2 might actually arrive with Ryzen 3000 series, while Ryzen 2000 (or Ryzen 1×50) will use refined Zen1/Zen+ 12nm process instead.

If everything goes according to the plan, forward compatibility for Zen+ and Zen2 will be available with a simple BIOS flash on existing AM4 motherboards.

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
December update: https://imgur.com/a/ieOyB https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7n78rw/the_empire_strikes_back_full_coffee_lake/
(again, thanks to Ingebor)

Coffee Lake turned up in large numbers (the Ks are in stock now, while non-K 8400/8700 are still problematic), raising Intel sales "noticeably".
I wonder if that's pent-up demand or if this will hold into Q1. AMD unit sales went down, so that likely means share taken even if we put aside the part of demand that was postponed from October/November.

Also interesting is the unit share and revenue share disparity, it seems lots of people paid the raised "unobtanium tax" prices for 8700K, ASP for Intel shot up.

Yf3ocrJ.png

wV0uUhx.png

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Not surprised, I've always considered the i7 xxxxk line to be cheap. For the performance, longevity, and OC capability, you're getting a stupidly good CPU.

I'm happy to see the i5 8600k doing so poorly in comparison to the i7. I can't stand the i5 in any respect what so ever.

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
Yet, AMD does 1 die and sells it everywhere #superglue

When 7nm is here and we can expect R5 6C/12T to destroy i7 8700K for < 250$

Last edited:

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

James Prior reassured that AM4 socket is here to stay (till 2020). The work on Zen 2 has already begun when fundamental parts of Zen 1 were already known. The important thing here is to distinguish Zen 2 from Zen 1 tick-tock process. The upcoming Ryzen 2000 series are likely to use refined Zen+ architecture. A die shrink and architecture optimizations are to be expected. So the Ryzen 2, or more precisely Zen 2 might actually arrive with Ryzen 3000 series, while Ryzen 2000 (or Ryzen 1×50) will use refined Zen1/Zen+ 12nm process instead.

If everything goes according to the plan, forward compatibility for Zen+ and Zen2 will be available with a simple BIOS flash on existing AM4 motherboards.

If we're lucky perhaps this will force Intel will do the same with their 9th gen cpus.

Reactions: Drazick

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017

Main problem with AMD is still memory latency. If they wound't hard-linked IF with IMC and we could get like 2,5-3GHz R5 1600. Since AMD IF is hard-linked and I don't think that design will change so much.. AMD will be still way behind.

Good think is that IMC is better at higher frequencies, only if it could achieve 4MT/s +...

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Now it wasn't long ago that you boys got all upset at me and had me take a 24hr vacation over my ryzen comments but I"ll be building my mom a 1600x based system later this week.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
So these new cpus are launching next month? Which means they must physically exist already and probably with oems. Hoping for a few leaks.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Early rumours had them launching in February, based on reports of when they would start shipping 12nm devices.

Then it was announced they would ship in March.

Thanks to the latest roadmap, we see April instead.

You are not the first to think it was February (or March).

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Are these Zen+ CPU's simply die shrinks with the same architecture? Perhaps a OC improvement of 1-200mhz over current generation Ryzen CPU's? Correct me if I am wrong but the Ryzen CPU's sweet spot is 3.8-3.9ghz. After that it takes significant Vcore OC's to acheive 4.0-4.1ghz. My guess is the zen+ will push 4.0-4.1ghz as a sweet spot and 4.2-4.3ghz with significant OC of Vcore. The Zen 2 architecture is the significant upgrade over Zen 1st gen.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Yet, AMD does 1 die and sells it everywhere #superglue

When 7nm is here and we can expect R5 6C/12T to destroy i7 8700K for < 250$

Leaving aside that we will be waiting another 15 months for that, why would a 6C/12T destroy an i7 8700K?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Are these Zen+ CPU's simply die shrinks with the same architecture? Perhaps a OC improvement of 1-200mhz over current generation Ryzen CPU's? Correct me if I am wrong but the Ryzen CPU's sweet spot is 3.8-3.9ghz. After that it takes significant Vcore OC's to acheive 4.0-4.1ghz. My guess is the zen+ will push 4.0-4.1ghz as a sweet spot and 4.2-4.3ghz with significant OC of Vcore. The Zen 2 architecture is the significant upgrade over Zen 1st gen.

The IMC is supposedly improved. It can hit DDR4-4000, or so it is said.

I would expect clockspeeds from Ryzen 2 more in the range of 4.4-4.6 GHz, not 4.2 GHz. AMD has already signaled 10% better transistor performance, and they are apparently going for lower-density libraries as well.

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
Pinnacle ridge is basically the same core that is in Raven ridge, that core has improvements to cache latency, precision boost 2 and optimisations to achieve better efficiency at higher clocks.
That's what AMD said anyhow, I'm hoping that we get some improvements to the IMC and fabric that not only allow higher clocked ram, but also lower latency down the stack, how much of this is wishful thinking on my part is anyone's guess.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Pinnacle ridge is basically the same core that is in Raven ridge, that core has improvements to cache latency, precision boost 2 and optimisations to achieve better efficiency at higher clocks.
That's what AMD said anyhow, I'm hoping that we get some improvements to the IMC and fabric that not only allow higher clocked ram, but also lower latency down the stack, how much of this is wishful thinking on my part is anyone's guess.

It's just my prediction based on the literature and road map for the zen core architecture. Obviously like intel, AMD will add a few instruction sets as well to improve CPU performance. The other thing they could do is raise the CPU wattage. A lot of these Zen CPU's are only 65w. If they were mid 90's to low 100w variants. Perhaps that could boost the mhz on the zen+ CPU's as well.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Just think of Raven Ridge as a zen core with the Vega graphics. A lot better than the crap APU's they had before. Mostly because Zen is far superior to the crap AMD has had for the last 10 years. I think Pinnacle Ridge will be Zen 2 core.