Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
same uarch though

Damn beat me to it
It shows worse scaling with #of cores though - look at 6800k vs 5960x even after normalizing clock speeds:
getgraphimg.php

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
It is a dealsalter for me, because my workload is memory latency sensitive and may in fact be similar to fritz (conceptually it is not that different)

Also, there's the whole deal with power consumption in P95 shooting up from ~120W power delta at stock (accounting for PSU and VRM, it can be stretched to fit 95W TDP) to over 200W at just 4Ghz. That thing actually hits heat density issues at just 4Ghz, that's kind of insane. And spells big trouble for my dreams of ITX Ryzen build running at 3.7Ghz all core.
Thats a 600mhz all core OC on ES sample - all cores and dodgy bios no less

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I think Ian's picture on twitter showing the review title was to be published March 2nd @ 9 a.m. So maybe review release time for reviewers is 9 a.m. Eastern.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Few pages ago, around 2 gigs/sec more than Skylake at similar memory timings and same frequency.

I've seen other leaks that indicate as much as 25% difference. Indeed, some have the Ryzen dual channel approaching the Intel quad channel setup for bandwidth.

Hence why I stated the wide variety in the previous post and why its maybe best to wait for "official" reviews.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
@lolfail9001 what type of instructions does your workload use? In my experience it is aways SIMD that can push all-core utilization to the max.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Just the fact that someone thinks that you need a high end CPU for gaming, is so utterly sad and shows how much damage Intel has done.

Common. Don't play stupid. For multiplayer and 120+ hz CPU performance matters a lot. That's why saying a GTX 1080 for 1080p is overkill is also not 100% true (the 1080 was stupid due to price/performance mainly).

That is also why I find this comparisons with a 6900k or 6800k kind of pointless. These 2 are not on my horizon because the platform will be replaced soon and is way to expensive. Since I'm in the market for a new CPU + mobo, my choice is 7700k, Ryzen or Skylake-X. The potential problem with Ryzen is ST performance OCed. The 7700k win here with a huge margin. Also the 1600x seems like the sweetspot but that's not getting released yet. If I have to wait another 2 month I can just as well wait for Skylake-X.

Intel won't lower broadwell-e prices. They don't need to. Money lost from lost sales in that segment hurts much less than devaluing your brand and appearing to panic to competitors actions. The will just replace it by Skylake-X and the will offer a 8-core CPU for $500-$600. Mobos might still be more expensive but I'm pretty sure it will also be a bit faster than 1800x. Still now it suddenly not half the price for 1800x anymore compared to intel 8-core. And we can see with GPUs how brand value (or lack thereof) matters as in selling stuff with 20+% less price/performance and people still rip them out of your hands.

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
@lolfail9001 what type of instructions does your workload use? In my experience it is aways SIMD that can push all-core utilization to the max.
Nah, it is lacking in SIMD department. But the hottest any of my PCs ever got was during compilation of god damn Emacs, go figure. And the slowest during compilation of LLVM. I make -j5 work. Okay, that was a terrible pun.
Hence why I stated the wide variety in the previous post and why its maybe best to wait for "official" reviews.
Yeah, it is a short wait at this point.
Seems to tap out past 6 cores
It shows worse scaling with #of cores though - look at 6800k vs 5960x even after normalizing clock speeds:
It loses like ~6% in efficiency going from 12 to 16 threads. That's actually damn good.
Intel won't lower broadwell-e prices. They don't need to. Money lost from lost sales in that segment hurts much less than devaluing your brand and appearing to panic to competitors actions. The will just replace it by Skylake-X and the will offer a 8-core CPU for $500-$600. Mobos might still be more expensive but I'm pretty sure it will also be a bit faster than 1800x. Still now it suddenly not half the price for 1800x anymore compared to intel 8-core.
Yeah, that's the picture i imagine. I wonder how close to reality it gets. I guess it depends on how cocky Intel are.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Its funny how there is nothing in there about power phases or the beefiness of the motherboard power delivery being in any way tied to chipset. And yet you pretty much have to buy the most expensive chipset to get the best power delivery. All I want is the best power delivery and a B350. No need for tons of SATA ports, USB ports, or crossfire. I just want power! But no one seems to be offering that.

This is called market segmentation. I mean why would anyone buy x370 if b350 offered same OC features? It doesn't surprise me at all and is why the "get a $100 cheap b350 board an OC" fallacy doesn't work out that well (unless you can't really OC much anyway).

Magic Hate Ball

Feb 2, 2017
I posted it over on the [H] forums but here's the specs on the cooler used:

jQ7aorm.png

About 1/4 the mass of the Noctua I picked up for my 1800x....

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
Wasn't he only a few weeks ago participating vigorously in threads on his forum, suggesting that Zen was overrated and/or was quite an unbalanced design?

Now he is publicly singing the praises of Zen?

Life comes at you fast. o_O

Amazing what being handed a Ryzen CPU can do to one's viewpoints on the product.

It's like my nVidiot friend when he was astonished at how fast and clean the graphics were on my system (no idea what video card I had). He asked how I did it... I told him I was running a 5770. He just about blew a gasket.

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
No, B350 does not support any form of multi-gpu. Only X370 does (and X300)

Crossfire requirements (complete list):

2~4 AMD GPUs running same GPU die (cut-down is fine).
Both installed in the same system at the same time (enough PCI-e x16 slots)
Proper driver installed.
Crossfire enabled in driver.

That's it. No special motherboard/chipset support is required.

Reactions: Drazick

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
Also, holy cow, that is like a freaking reviewer's Harry Potter.
P. S. And hell yes, i will get home right to the flood of Ryzen reviews.

hotstocks

Jun 20, 2008
How come I read that games will be even worse benchmarks for Nvidia GPUs compared to AMD with Ryzen? That makes no sense. A 1080 kills a AMD 480 gpu, how would Ryzen make a 480 better than a 1080 or purposely gimp Nvidia GPUs. If that is the case my order is cancelled. Good thing I did Amazon, 30 day returns.