Discussion ***Official*** 2022 Stock Market Thread

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Is it time to load up on SPACs and GME yet?

Buy cash and lots of it. ;)

I bought a tiny, token amount of SPAC garbage lottery tickets SOUN. The 5 day chart is glorious 🙌

I'm hoping for $20 or $30, but I won't go broke if it doesn't hit the winning numbers.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Buy cash and lots of it. ;)

I bought a tiny, token amount of SPAC garbage lottery tickets SOUN. The 5 day chart is glorious 🙌

I'm hoping for $20 or $30, but I won't go broke if it doesn't hit the winning numbers.

Wow, that is a hell of a five day chart. Congrats. Are you trading options or just buy/sell?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Wow, that is a hell of a five day chart. Congrats. Are you trading options or just buy/sell?

Just shares. No options on this yet.

Got in late today near the top. My day job is relentlessly busy right now so I didn't buy at the open as intended. Damn emails won't let me breathe. Even working Saturdays.

Beware, this is a long shot. The music can stop at anytime and it's a long way down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roger Wilco

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
uh9UEMW.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Buy the dip!

I actually have about 3k into one stock that I'm looking at selling but going to wait it out since it's a bit low right now, but I'm still in the green, so kind of tempting to sell while I'm still ahead. I'd only make a few hundred profit but I could use the cash. Still a better gain than if it had been sitting in my TFSA. :p

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Buy the dip!

I actually have about 3k into one stock that I'm looking at selling but going to wait it out since it's a bit low right now, but I'm still in the green, so kind of tempting to sell while I'm still ahead. I'd only make a few hundred profit but I could use the cash. Still a better gain than if it had been sitting in my TFSA. :p

I'd diversify your stocks. You're an IT guy... having just one stock in your portfolio is like putting all of your data drives in a big RAID-0 array. Add some redundancy!

Reactions: Charmonium

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'd diversify your stocks. You're an IT guy... having just one stock in your portfolio is like putting all of your data drives in a big RAID-0 array. Add some redundancy!

Oh I have more but not looking at selling them yet. I started to sell off a lot of stuff though. Focusing on putting money on my off grid land as well as paying off debt. At some point I want to go through the bank and buy some diversified instrument like GICs or something instead of picking stocks myself.

Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
That's how I feel about my silver, it's physical, it's not going anywhere. :p

Unless of course I lose it in a boating accident. ;)
Of course the main argument for physical assets is they "provide a hedge against inflation." The thing now though is that with uncertainty all across the globe, people tend to rush to the dollar which bids that up against other currencies. So of course, that means you need fewer dollars to buy the same assets.

Even so, my personal opinion is that you can't go wrong by having, IDK, maybe 10% of your assets in gold or silver. Just don't go putting it all in your boat or you'll end up like some 16th century Spanish galleon. ;)

edit - FYI, I prefer to use a safe deposit box, but that's a personal decision.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
~20% of my salary goes to pension and stay there.
Then I have savings that can be used if necessary (new car, fixing house etc.) Those are split roughly 25% cash, 75% index funds.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Then I have savings that can be used if necessary (new car, fixing house etc.) Those are split roughly 25% cash, 75% index funds.
Pensions are looking good right now for the employee. Not so much for the employer. Too bad they are increasingly rare.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Does your pension have a low rate of return or did you start saving late in life? I ask because 20% is awfully high. A good rule of thumb for most people is about 15% invested / 85% spent. That rule-of-thumb gives you the same spending power during retirement as you had while working. That is, no need to suddenly scrimp and penny pinch once you retire but also no huge windfall late in life when you are least able to enjoy it.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Does your pension have a low rate of return or did you start saving late in life? I ask because 20% is awfully high. A good rule of thumb for most people is about 15% invested / 85% spent. That rule-of-thumb gives you the same spending power during retirement as you had while working. That is, no need to suddenly scrimp and penny pinch once you retire but also no huge windfall late in life when you are least able to enjoy it.
Maybe it's a bit different here in Denmark, but my contract is under a teachers unions agreement, so 17,5% is directly paid into teachers pensions system, then I add some extra cash, so my retirement payout is 73% of my current salary. If I continue the current plan. On average it is ~6% per year.

And I don't have anything I miss in my daily life. I spend money on the things I like, and still have a small surplus.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How so? My is just a fixed percentage taken of my salary before taxes.
It's different in the US. Pensions use to be prevalent in the private sector decades ago. Today, less than 5% of workers have access to a pension that is their primary retirement account. Employers fund and guarantee a specific retirement benefit for each employee and assume the risk of the financial obligation. They've been moving away from that liability.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
So you disagree that we were in a cheap Fed money and government spending bubble? A bubble the Fed is working hard to pop? I've lived through 3.

Sure you can take a bite here on a pullback if you are averaging in over the long term.

But unless you want to fight the Fed until December or January, I think there is still a long way to go.

Don't forget that the fed funds rate was at 1.75% (and planning to go higher) at the beginning of 2020. They basically dropped it to 0 by the end of March that year when the US COVID lockdowns started.

While what they did made sense at the time, they really should have started raising it more aggressively over a year ago. If they did, the inflationary bubble we're in now would not have been as harsh.

Last edited:

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Try guessing the bottom for a stock based on random news stories not necessarily related to the markets. Like the US is sending several dozen 155 mm howitzers to Ukraine. The mm is the diameter in millimeters of the artillery rounds they're also shipping over there. NVDA is at about $185 now, so I simply wait for it to sink to $155, buy a ton of it, sit back and watch it go up or at least never any lower.

And this post is still kind of on topic for the thread because it's a slightly better method than using monkeys to throw darts at random prices on a chart. Edit: As for something more concrete I got lucky by selling all my NVDA at $201 before the close on the big up day of Wednesday for a small profit of a few hundred $.

But that's not enough, I want to get right back in it for huge short term wins. Although I know the easier and boring way is to have held it for the next few years for a possible 10x or whatever monster gain.

Last edited:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Anyway, the Fed is doing a great job taking he market all on his own. By ruling out anything greater than .50% hikes, that leaves them vulnerable to letting inflation have its way with the economy. Have you been to WalMart lately? Holy moly things are getting pricey!