Discussion ***Official*** 2020 Stock Market Thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I hope the PPT gets it done. Next step is to suppress any bad news and announce measures being taken.

... and to remind everyone to wash their hands and wear a mask if possible!

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Looks like the Nasdaq / QQQ will close with a small gain while the DOW / S&P might close down a hair.

Last edited:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Hmmm....futures market did not like Trump's virus pronouncements. New virus new from Germany spooking markets. Now off by 1.25% atm.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Wow! This move down is breathtaking. Getting slaughtered in TSLA. Almost feels like couple highly levered hedge funds are blowing up today and puking up stocks.

Nov 8, 2012
Wow! This move down is breathtaking. Getting slaughtered in TSLA. Almost feels like couple highly levered hedge funds are blowing up today and puking up stocks.

It's just like anything else - I'm sure they have shit tons of parts that are sourced globally that are going to be impacted by coronavirus spread.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It's just like anything else - I'm sure they have shit tons of parts that are sourced globally that are going to be impacted by coronavirus spread.
While that's true, Tesla is way more vertically integrated than any other automaker so it's less of an impact. But the market is being stupid right now and everyone is scared so they're selling everything and anything of value. Tesla had nice run so people are aggressively selling the name. But it's all right. Tesla is going to come out of this stronger than ever and going to gain big marketshare when things return to normal. If things don't return to normal, we're all fvcked so it won't matter anyway.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
everything is going to come out of this when things return to normal. If things don't return to normal, we're all fvcked so it won't matter anyway.

fify

if i had extra cash, i would be buying.

Nov 8, 2012
fify

if i had extra cash, i would be buying.

At this point I think we have a looooong way to go before we are anywhere near the bottom of how the stock market is going to go. Were going to start having days where the results are exponentially increased.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
At this point I think we have a looooong way to go before we are anywhere near the bottom of how the stock market is going to go. Were going to start having days where the results are exponentially increased.

yea, fair enough. I am not trying to time it, as i dont have cash.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999

Yeah, we haven't even gotten to the earnings announcements yet. When these companies start reporting losses from the coronavirus you may see bigger drops from here.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Yeah, we haven't even gotten to the earnings announcements yet. When these companies start reporting losses from the coronavirus you may see bigger drops from here.
Depends. It can go both ways. We're in new price discovery phase right now where the market is trying to discount the impact of the coronavirus. It could be by earnings announcement, the worst of the coronavirus have passed and people then won't care about dismal Q1 earnings. So if you're trying to time, you got to buy when you think the news is the worst or close to it. Do I think it's at the worst? No. But I think there's enough genuine fear in the market right now that I think you have to be careful if you're pushing too hard to the downside.

Nov 8, 2012
What is everyone's thoughts on containment? At this point is there even much care to trying to contain?

What containment seems to be doing is just slowing the spread from something that could be 1-2 months timeframe, into something that can be 6+ months timeframe.

Which do you think is worse for the economy and such? I would argue the long timeframe is worse, no?

But maybe I'm wrong... and instead of factories shutting down for 1-2 months they instead have people coming in and out in shifts... sick round leaves, recovered round comes back, sick round leaves, recovered come back, etc...?

Or maybe I'm just being nuts here and have no idea since I've never been a part of any major epidemic :p

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
What is everyone's thoughts on containment? At this point is there even much care to trying to contain?

What containment seems to be doing is just slowing the spread from something that could be 1-2 months timeframe, into something that can be 6+ months timeframe.

Which do you think is worse for the economy and such? I would argue the long timeframe is worse, no?

But maybe I'm wrong... and instead of factories shutting down for 1-2 months they instead have people coming in and out in shifts... sick round leaves, recovered round comes back, sick round leaves, recovered come back, etc...?

Or maybe I'm just being nuts here and have no idea since I've never been a part of any major epidemic :p
I just posted my thoughts about the coronavirus scare in the other thread. Kinds of sums up my feeling.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...onavirus-thread.2575795/page-59#post-40080023

I think the market has the right to freak out because this is bad but I think they're jumping the gun and overreacting at the moment. The jump in South Korea and Italy numbers really spooked the market IMO and that above post sums up my thought on the numbers coming out of South Korea.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I haven't opened any of my accounts since this whole thing started.

There's no reason for me to. I'm not buying, I'm certainly not selling. Unless I get a notice that options were exercised I'm not even looking until March 6th.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I finally bought puts in QQQ. They quickly lost value as I have long feared but they are good for a month.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

I was shocked to see the large selloff in TSLA. Hope you are doing ok.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Hard to say, but personally speaking Ive noticed more and more people are starting to take this seriously and some far flung plans are being made for people to work at home where I work.

There is some mass hysteria going on for sure, that needs to settle down before we talk about a recovery.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
There will definitely be some panic among younger/newer investors when they look at their statements next month.

Last edited: