Obama's universal healthcare will help shift more blue-state wealth to red states

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Originally posted by: dyna
Originally posted by: jpeyton
More "sky is falling" stories; not surprising.

I can't wait until Obama and the Dems get their UHC billed signed into law and your Chicken Little theories get torn apart.

Are you telling us that you can't wait for them to sign a bill that you haven't even seen yet? Wow that's a lot of trust.

It's not rocket science. Compensate the medical industry fairly, they take the patients and treat them. No non-paying clients drives costs down, GDP expenditure remains <= current expenditure, and everybody lives with a better quality of life.

I'd love to hear some ideas on this 'fair' wage scale in terms of doctors. Will all doctors of the same specialization be compensated union-esque?

They should get same wages as their counterparts in other countries where we outsource. Other industries are adapting to a global economy to reduce wages, why not medical? In that case 10-15 bucks a hour sounds about right.

I like what I'm reading please tell me more...

Considering I will be $280,000 in debt because of Medical School alone this isn't going to work. First there needs to be a drastic overhaul of medical Malpractice Disputes and Insurance. Second, they need to significantly decrease the cost of medical school. And third they need to work on adequately compensating doctors.

Based on amount of schooling and general intelligence doctors are some of the lowest paid. If we really wanted to make money, I'd go be a lawyer or an Exec of some company. Fuck, I'd even go be an engineer. Medicine does not pay outstandingly. The time of doctors being overpayed rich pillars of the community has long since passed.

People need to stop thinking that. It is insulting.

EDIT: And I was payed $11/hour in undergrad to work as a TA with little accountability and barely any responsibility. If you honestly think you are going to get someone to work 60+ hours a week while taking countless individuals lives in their hands all for the wage of a greeter at walmart you are sadly mistaken.

Actually costs are severely overinflated because of the insurance companies. I don't care about doctor salaries they are a drop in the bucket when it comes to overall costs.

But I'm not going to cry for the underpaid doctor's at night. ;)
http://www.allied-physicians.c...physician-salaries.htm

Funny, I personally think 200-400k a year is reasonable for SAVING LIVES. Talk to your average jerk off and they swear it highway robbery. But again, like I said, it isn't the money that brought me into medicine. Just everyone once in a while, I'd appreciate people not bitching about our salaries and just appreciating what we do.

I just said Doctor's are not underpaid and I don't think the salaries are part of the problem.

How is that me calling it unreasonable SirStev0? I think for the long expensive process of becoming one it is fine, if not a bit of a self-replicating wealth machine for Doctor families.

I do have some theories that if it was cheaper to become a doctor salaries would fall because there are many, many competent people that would become doctor's and work for maybe UP TO 50% less if they could come out of school with >50k in debt, but that's for another day/thread.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

I can't wait until Obama and the Dems get their UHC billed signed into law and your Chicken Little theories get torn apart.

Are you telling us that you can't wait for them to sign a bill that you haven't even seen yet? Wow that's a lot of trust.

It's not rocket science. Compensate the medical industry fairly, they take the patients and treat them. No non-paying clients drives costs down, GDP expenditure remains <= current expenditure, and everybody lives with a better quality of life.

I'd love to hear some ideas on this 'fair' wage scale in terms of doctors. Will all doctors of the same specialization be compensated union-esque?

They should get same wages as their counterparts in other countries where we outsource. Other industries are adapting to a global economy to reduce wages, why not medical? In that case 10-15 bucks a hour sounds about right.

Considering I will be $280,000 in debt because of Medical School alone this isn't going to work. First there needs to be a drastic overhaul of medical Malpractice Disputes and Insurance. Second, they need to significantly decrease the cost of medical school. And third they need to work on adequately compensating doctors.

Based on amount of schooling and general intelligence doctors are some of the lowest paid. If we really wanted to make money, I'd go be a lawyer or an Exec of some company. Fuck, I'd even go be an engineer. Medicine does not pay outstandingly. The time of doctors being overpayed rich pillars of the community has long since passed.

EDIT: And I was payed $11/hour in undergrad to work as a TA with little accountability and barely any responsibility. If you honestly think you are going to get someone to work 60+ hours a week while taking countless individuals lives in their hands all for the wage of a greeter at walmart you are sadly mistaken.

Actually costs are severely overinflated because of the insurance companies. I don't care about doctor salaries they are a drop in the bucket when it comes to overall costs.

Funny, I personally think 200-400k a year is reasonable for SAVING LIVES. Talk to your average jerk off and they swear it highway robbery. But again, like I said, it isn't the money that brought me into medicine. Just everyone once in a while, I'd appreciate people not bitching about our salaries and just appreciating what we do.

I just said Doctor's are not underpaid and I don't think the salaries are part of the problem.

How is that me calling it unreasonable SirStev0? I think for the long expensive process of becoming one it is fine, if not a bit of a self-replicating wealth machine for Doctor families.

I do have some theories that if it was cheaper to become a doctor salaries would fall because there are many, many competent people that would become doctor's and work for maybe UP TO 50% less if they could come out of school with >50k in debt, but that's for another day/thread.

Sorry, I wasn't really trying to argue with you, just making my point while defending my profession.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006

Sorry, I wasn't really trying to argue with you, just making my point while defending my profession.

Oh it's fine, just checking. I understand your points perfectly actually, and do believe them to be quite valid. :)

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: EXman
So I guess when I lay out the facts no one wants to admit UHC will be a disaster of epic proportions.

Actual everything you said were personal observations and experiences.

That's not fact. :confused:

Actually that is common place. It is rampant and if you do not understand rationing of healthcare sorry and a general lack of caring by your healthcare provider sorry. Next time when you are in a line of 20 people at the post office with one attendant ask yourself "Do I want these people running my healthcare?" It's a hell of alot closer to fact than anything you offered. :confused:

Do you have UHC? Do your theories mean more than my experience where the rubber hits the road? Or do you just listen to partisans that tell you we'll take care of you and sign your life away to people that just want more and more power?:eek:

I know of a couple(Husband American, Wife Canadian) who at one time had a Small Business and a Net Worth > $2million US, who lost it all and eventually moved to Canada after he ran into Health Problems.

And I guarantee if he ever needs a timely operation to save his life he'll be coming home.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
So I guess when I lay out the facts no one wants to admit UHC will be a disaster of epic proportions.

Actually that is common place. It is rampant and if you do not understand rationing of healthcare sorry and a general lack of caring by your healthcare provider sorry. Next time when you are in a line of 20 people at the post office with one attendant ask yourself "Do I want these people running my healthcare?" It's a hell of alot closer to fact than anything you offered. :confused:

Do you have UHC? Do your theories mean more than my experience where the rubber hits the road? Or do you just listen to partisans that tell you we'll take care of you and sign your life away to people that just want more and more power?:eek:

I know of a couple(Husband American, Wife Canadian) who at one time had a Small Business and a Net Worth > $2million US, who lost it all and eventually moved to Canada after he ran into Health Problems.

And I guarantee if he ever needs a timely operation to save his life he'll be coming home.

You might have to wait for your poor sore throat, but if you need a heart transplant you wouldn't have to make 3 average persons lifetime gross earnings to live.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Anecdotal again. I don't remember all the figures, but for the most part the studies I have seen show comparable wait times in both systems. I remember for a fact that Emergency Room waits were almost exactly the same.

LostUte

Oct 13, 2005
Truthfully, medical salaries are a very small part of the problem. Off of the top of my head, physician salaries are only about 10% of medical spending. As someone on the technical/scientific side of healthcare, I am amazed at how ridiculously expensive equipment/supplies are.

A workstation that is really worth 5-10k is sold for 50k because you are forced to use a vendor's hardware if you want to use their software. Due to regulatory barriers, no one goes through the hassle of creating a system for cheaper. As an example, a hospital I trained in needed to replace a ruler to measure the length of a type of wire. Cost? $1200. They were forced to buy the ruler from the maker of the system. Plastic catheters for the same system? $300.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
SNIPPED

Well I am happy to see that you can be honest about it being a huge shit sandwich!

There are a few points where we disagree and I say you are flat wrong. But rather than taking it point by point I'll just point out the obvious statement that is wrong.

We are hemorrhaging money in our current system and we have shitty care. Go ahead and quote anecdotal evidence about Canadian Waiting Periods for care, but the fact is that statistical evidences shows that their waits are almost exactly the same as ours in almost every category. The kicker is that they significantly pay less (even taking into account taxes to pay for UHC) and everyone has access.

I have 1st hand knowledge of three reasons why that is not correct.

1st reason: I used to work for a canadian company. Guess what people came to our U.S. based part of the company to visit while they were on one of their 4 paid weeks of vacation? Healthcare. Yup they would come down here get a procedure done stop by our place to say hi and see how the Yanks were doin then go home. in 5 years I saw maybe a dozen people I know of in a small company do this. 12 isn't much but that is just the ones that I know of.

2nd reason: My father-in-law needed knee replacement surgery. He is a veteran. He has UHC as a part of DVA. How long did it take to get the MRI? 20 days. How long did it take to get the knee replacement? almost 3 years. They are backlogged and well younger vets get first priority. No kidding they tried to talk him out of it since he was to old late 50's.

3rd reason: My Kiddos are covered by our state run Schip. UHC for poor kids. Since I make alot by thier standards I have to pay for it and it is CHEAP! Guess what you get what you pay for. No doctor will take my kids and if they do they try and diagnose from the phone or give you a 2 minute office visit. Yea I said 2 minutes! Oh and guess what? You have to go through a bureaucracy to get it and you never talk to the same caseworker twice. They treat you as sub-human. They lose your paperwork. They deny paying for benefits and then guess what I have to end up paying the doctors cash due to the bureaucratic scumbags F'ed up as usual. So now the Cheap insurance costs a fortune and the sevice is on par with a post office late in the day. And since they are a government entity you cannot complain. No one cares! Thier jobs are safe! Doctors often get stuck with the bill and refuse to see patients that have our governments UHC for kids. You think you have Shitty service now? You have not seen anything! UHC is the most frustration thing I have ever delt with in my entire life and i'm married! ;)

I am glad to share that with anyone. Really I do not think everyone knows we already have UHC for kids and vets. It sucks. It sucks huge! Remember when dealing with bureaucrats you are going to lose every time. There is no benefit for them to be nice to you. There is no sense of urgency to get you proper care. Good doctors are hard to find. Finding a bureaucrat to care is impossible. You're screwed!

I have a HSA and I have to shop for a good deal on all medical expenses. My care is completely better in every way. Doctors love me cause I pay in cash (A HSA debit card) and I can get discounts.

As someone pointed out this is again anecdotal evidence, but to be completely fair even one bad experience is too much.

I truly believe that at this day in age in a country as great as ours we should consider great healthcare (not adequate, not good, great) as a right and not a privilege. I realize this is incredibly naive but I feel that pessimism about the system is one of the major contributors to how bad it is. You have to believe we can do better to actually make things better.
With that said, I 100% agree with you about veteran services. They are horrible. It is despicable how this country takes care of veterans and almost every story I hear about it is stomach churning. However, the problems with veteran's services run much much deeper than what can be blamed on UHC. In fact part of the problem is the fact that aren't really universally covered.
The biggest problem is the lack of investment in the program. It is quite sad to say that our country is much more interested in blowing the shit out of things than making sure those that do that dirty work are taken care of.

Fuck if you think the medical care/physical well being is bad I would highly suggest putting your fingers in your ears and jamming your head in the ground if anyone starts to talk about psychological health. The Veteran's affair service completely turns their back on these people. One of my first calls as an EMT when I was in undergrad was to pick up a recently discharged Iraq War Vet. He was denied 4 times to be psychologically evaluated, so he did what any person would do and started to self medicate with whiskey. It was truly a sad sad case. I chuckle every time I see a "Support our Troops" ribbon.

The problem with Veteran's affairs is veteran's affairs. Maybe if we really supported our troops like we pretend we do, we'd stop producing million dollar fighters that just sit around and start pumping money into taking care of them.

With that rant done, I'm interested as to what state your children are covered in? For the most part CHIP/SCHIP/etc. programs are usually praised as fairly decent coverage. There are bad examples but for the most part I understand it is much better than Medicare.

Finally this all goes back to what I originally said. American's are too stubborn and politicians are too corrupt to give ourselves a great Health Care system. We won't fix it. We will eventually get a Psuedo-Socialized system, which will suck and we will ride that until it starts to be as shitty as it is now.

Hmm well to be quite honest it is eight years of bad experience. You all are stuck on anecdotal evidence aspect of what I'm saying but although it is one account it is a consistant one that is MORE EXPERIENCE than anyone here has had. You all want evidence well I'll tell you emperical evidence does not mean squat. What am I supposed to demand better treatment. LoL I have to send any and all forms to the government certified mail so I can prove they got them. Seriously or I start paying cash again or have to wait 6-8 while they review something. That is code for that are drastically undermanned/slow/inept. Is this good healthcare? Oh the State is KY.

I understand what you are saying about the VA. It is very similar to what is wrong with KChip. It is a systemic problem. The thing is as in other entitlement programs they deal with alot of people that take advantage of them as well so they are also very desensitized in their customer no service. They cannot keep people and no one will lose there job. They punch in and get paid. It is so dreadfully mismanaged it is a joke. Similar to the post office that never seems to have more than one employee for the last hour of business although it is one of the busiest.

I do not wish this care on anyone.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

Anecdotal again. I don't remember all the figures, but for the most part the studies I have seen show comparable wait times in both systems. I remember for a fact that Emergency Room waits were almost exactly the same.

Umm do you have any true life 1st hand experience with UHC? Or are you another one who is drinking the coolaid. Oh and emergency room waits have nothing to do with seeing a primary care doctor.

And here in Ky the emergency room is clogged up with illegals no kidding illegals. There isn't any part of healthcare I see functioning well in a healthy sustainable fashion.

They guy above stating it went over well in TN is anecdotal evidence you can toss out it is a broad statement with no experience.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Umm do you have any true life 1st hand experience with UHC? Or are you another one who is drinking the coolaid. Oh and emergency room waits have nothing to do with seeing a primary care doctor.

And here in Ky the emergency room is clogged up with illegals no kidding illegals. There isn't any part of healthcare I see functioning well in a healthy sustainable fashion.

They guy above stating it went over well in TN is anecdotal evidence you can toss out it is a broad statement with no experience.

Believe me if you read most of my other posts I often said how little faith I have in UHC in the US. All I am saying is that at this current point in time we have horribly mismanaged psuedosocialism where costs are just pushed off onto other patients when someone can't pay. Our system is significantly more expensive than all other systems with care that is often considered subpar or at the same level to their care (rarely above).

Our system needs drastic overhauls. The only people willing to take this are the UHC people. If there was someone in the private industry that was willing to discuss and implement drastic changes I would be more than willing to hear them out. However, like I said the private sector has no interest in changing. The current system allows them to maximize their profits, so why would they want to change?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Believe me if you read most of my other posts I often said how little faith I have in UHC in the US. All I am saying is that at this current point in time we have horribly mismanaged psuedosocialism where costs are just pushed off onto other patients when someone can't pay. Our system is significantly more expensive than all other systems with care that is often considered subpar or at the same level to their care (rarely above).

Our system needs drastic overhauls. The only people willing to take this are the UHC people. If there was someone in the private industry that was willing to discuss and implement drastic changes I would be more than willing to hear them out. However, like I said the private sector has no interest in changing. The current system allows them to maximize their profits, so why would they want to change?

ONe the problems of why the private system does not want to change is the amount of regulations in place that keep our current system in place.

Insurance is tied to employment, change jobs, lose your insurance.
Difficult to pool employees across state lines because of different state requirements.
And since the consumer has insurance provided by work, they get a someone else is paying the bill mentality.

There is alot that can be done without having govt run healthcare. Looks what walmart is doing with minute clinics and $4 generics.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison

ONe the problems of why the private system does not want to change is the amount of regulations in place that keep our current system in place.

Insurance is tied to employment, change jobs, lose your insurance.
Difficult to pool employees across state lines because of different state requirements.
And since the consumer has insurance provided by work, they get a someone else is paying the bill mentality.

There is alot that can be done without having govt run healthcare. Looks what walmart is doing with minute clinics and $4 generics.

Interesting that you mention generics because I hate to tell you but that is completely due to gov't regulation. Honestly, next time you pick up $.25 amoxicillin think about how much Pharm companies would charge if they forced to have competition.

Also don't be fooled. I have heard this "Gov't Regulation" is what really causes the cost bullshit before and it doesn't hold water. The sad fact is when you look at the figures, just for instance in pharmaceuticals, independant studies have shown that Pharm companies spend up to 75% (in some studies over 80%) of what they claim to be research funds on advertising. Tell me the system is over regulated when they can do things like that.

I honestly believe the problem comes twofold and it is something that both sides refuse to see.
One, they are too deregulated and two they are too regulated. Now I bet you are wondering how that can be. Well it is simple. Politicians are scumbags just like the rest of us. They want to make it seem like they are doing something while at the same time not pissing anyone off.

A year or so ago, they decided to start regulating advertising in the pharm industry. Do you know what they got rid of ... Pens and Paper and all the useless promo junk pharm reps used to hand out like candy. You know what is still around. All inclusive informational seminars (getaways) to the Bahamas for hospital admins. They can say with a straight face they are making the pharm companies control advertising while at the same time letting pharm companies do whatever they want.

The same goes everything. They purposefully allow loopholes that grease wheels and still allow everyone to get screwed. It is how the system works.

You can continue to tow the line and insist there is too much regulation and I will agree in some areas it is purposefully made hyper-bureaucratic. However, in the areas where we need regulation there is none to be found and people like you are duped into believing that it is because of too much regulation.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

Ok that sounds fair the system is broken but exchanging a broken program that has choices is better for many than scrapping it another flawed program with no choice and much worse quality of care but includes more people isn't the answer either. So change for the sake of change isn't the answer. Until the end user of healthcare actually realizes what the care they get actually costs they will continue to take it for granted. What if everyone had to ration thier own care? Would they have a vested interest in saving cost and taking better care of themselves? Taking a kid to the doctor everytime they have an off day, throw up or have a sniffle is brankrupting us as well. Then those kids get overprescribed (heres a script get your kid outta here 2min visits) medications that are seeing their effectiveness deminish. Further cheapening our healthcare system.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

So do you intentionally try to be dense or just born that way?

Fairly means the same thing it has meant when Obama has been setting up cost cutting measured with insurance companies.

It means that if you go to the hospital 2 Tylenol won't cost 28 dollars. Cutting costs and reducing waste.

Medical Industry does not equal the doctor's paycheck. But have fun patting yourself on the back because you can't fathom how much better our nation could be.

Medical industry includes everything having to do with the medical industry. This includes doctors. Keep patting yourself on the back for not clearly stating your point and assuming other would know what your ambiguous wording meant.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

Trust me I'm on your side. I think you missed my sarcasm.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Ok that sounds fair the system is broken but exchanging a broken program that has choices is better for many than scrapping it another flawed program with no choice and much worse quality of care but includes more people isn't the answer either. So change for the sake of change isn't the answer. Until the end user of healthcare actually realizes what the care they get actually costs they will continue to take it for granted. What if everyone had to ration thier own care? Would they have a vested interest in saving cost and taking better care of themselves? Taking a kid to the doctor everytime they have an off day, throw up or have a sniffle is brankrupting us as well. Then those kids get overprescribed (heres a script get your kid outta here 2min visits) medications that are seeing their effectiveness deminish. Further cheapening our healthcare system.

On the flip side of the coin, a major problem in the US is underutilization of the health care system. There are far, far too many people that just refuse to take an active role in their health care. And one major problem is actually getting to the doctor for screenings and well check ups. This is all ages.

One of the things I truly see as an advantage of UHC is that it removes the excuse of "I would have come to the doctor sooner, but I didn't have the money". You can not believe how much those few little words cost.

People need to stop being brave, or stop being cowardly, or stop being frugal or stop being stubborn or stop whatever tired excuse it is and man up and go to the doctor when they need it. I have a cousin who refuses to get a mole looked at. Every time I see her it is another excuse. It isn't horrific but I would still biopsy it just to be safe. A 10 minute procedure that could save her life and save her thousands in bills and she just won't do it.

Yes there are parents that take little johnny to the doctor every time he hiccups and demand, scream, and rave for antibiotics until they get them (Which, IMO is much more the case then doctors just prescribing them willy-nilly, at least with newer doctors). And of course there is Tom Workman's Comp who tries to get on disability every other day for his back. But these are there regardless.

But it is nowhere near the cost that is built up when grandpa finally goes to the hospital with a massive heart attack, severe hypertension, uncontrolled diabetes, type 4 ulcers, and metastatic cancer. And don't even get me started on how the family will then push for us to keep grandpa alive as long as possible.

Prevention, early detection, constant health check ups and disease monitoring, all save money in the long run.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Trust me I'm on your side. I think you missed my sarcasm.

I did in deed. My sarcasm meter went to hell ever since people actually start saying things like this to may face and 100% meant it.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

Oh yes because I'm not on Tenncare personally I have no fucking clue. Feel free to go read about our disaster of epic proportions. Soon to be rolled out nation wide!

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Interesting that you mention generics because I hate to tell you but that is completely due to gov't regulation. Honestly, next time you pick up $.25 amoxicillin think about how much Pharm companies would charge if they forced to have competition.

Like it or not patents are required to protect the investment for creation of anything. Once patents expire drugs become very inexpensive. We do need to make sure that patents are protected, but not abused.

Also don't be fooled. I have heard this "Gov't Regulation" is what really causes the cost bullshit before and it doesn't hold water. The sad fact is when you look at the figures, just for instance in pharmaceuticals, independant studies have shown that Pharm companies spend up to 75% (in some studies over 80%) of what they claim to be research funds on advertising. Tell me the system is over regulated when they can do things like that.

Advertising is a part of doing business, like it or not. DO they spend to much on advertising, maybe, but they cant spend zero on advertising either.

I honestly believe the problem comes twofold and it is something that both sides refuse to see.
One, they are too deregulated and two they are too regulated. Now I bet you are wondering how that can be. Well it is simple. Politicians are scumbags just like the rest of us. They want to make it seem like they are doing something while at the same time not pissing anyone off.

Medicine is one of the most regulated industries around. But it is interesting that procedures like lasik, lapband, and cosmetic surgery having been growing in cost at less than the rate of inflation.
You can continue to tow the line and insist there is too much regulation and I will agree in some areas it is purposefully made hyper-bureaucratic. However, in the areas where we need regulation there is none to be found and people like you are duped into believing that it is because of too much regulation.

Take this example of bad state regulation. There are 2000 minute clinics type offices in the US. ONly 3 are in Texas because they must have Doctor on staff instead of a PA. Do you think regulations like this are good or bad for the consumer.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison

Like it or not patents are required to protect the investment for creation of anything. Once patents expire drugs become very inexpensive. We do need to make sure that patents are protected, but not abused.

Advertising is a part of doing business, like it or not. DO they spend to much on advertising, maybe, but they cant spend zero on advertising either.

Medicine is one of the most regulated industries around. But it is interesting that procedures like lasik, lapband, and cosmetic surgery having been growing in cost at less than the rate of inflation.

Take this example of bad state regulation. There are 2000 minute clinics type offices in the US. ONly 3 are in Texas because they must have Doctor on staff instead of a PA. Do you think regulations like this are good or bad for the consumer.

Point #1 Rebuttal: There has been a lot of shady patent playing by pharm companies in the past. For instance, Reformulating filler ingredients and reissuing the patent then not producing the no longer covered drug. Let just say that in an absolute free market we'd have much more expensive drugs. We'd also have hugely unsafe drugs out on the market. You have no idea how stringent drug testing can be and it should be because even with all the regulations we still get drugs like Vioxx every once in a while.

Point #2 Rebuttal: Advertising is a necessary thing. However, DO NOT TAKE TAXPAYER'S MONEY THAT WAS GIVEN FOR RESEARCH AND USE IT FOR BONER PILL ADS. Also, IMO drugs should not be advertised to laypeople who are potential clients. The average person has no idea what those drugs really do and really don't benefit from these ads. If anything all those commercials do is breed paranoia and hypochondria. They hinder the decision making processes between the doctor, patient, and pharmacist.

Point #3 Rebuttal: I don't really agree with what you are saying. I guess compared to working at walmart it is more regulated but you are comparing apples to oranges. Medicine is its own kind of monster. Maybe if you tried comparing a more successful medical system, like that of the Scandinavian countries, or of Sweden, or Japan, or England, or Germany, or Australia, or most of the civilized world for that matter you'd realize how free our medical market is and how many of those other countries blame this for our bad quality and extreme expense.
Point #3 Part B Rebuttal: I have no idea why you are talking about elective surgeries. It is an opportunity to make money to balance the uninsured who can't pay and default.

Point #4 Rebuttal: I personally think PA's are great and most I have interacted with are very knowledgeable and great providers. I am sorry that Texas has archaic and silly laws and this is a perfect example of why politicians have to be willing to adapt the regulations to the changing market. Medicine is always changing at the speed of light and the regulations must be able to adapt. It sound like the same problems DO's had for so many years. The medical system has to be willing to push for these changes. I also think that if certain regulations aren't working or acting in an adverse fashion than they should be dealt with. It is part of governing.

Just because they are slow out of the gate doesn't mean we should just throw all regulations out the window to never be used again and let them do whatever the fuck they want.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Point #1 Rebuttal: There has been a lot of shady patent playing by pharm companies in the past. For instance, Reformulating filler ingredients and reissuing the patent then not producing the no longer covered drug. Let just say that in an absolute free market we'd have much more expensive drugs. We'd also have hugely unsafe drugs out on the market. You have no idea how stringent drug testing can be and it should be because even with all the regulations we still get drugs like Vioxx every once in a while.

As I stated, patents are needed, but they dont need to be abused either.

Point #2 Rebuttal: Advertising is a necessary thing. However, DO NOT TAKE TAXPAYER'S MONEY THAT WAS GIVEN FOR RESEARCH AND USE IT FOR BONER PILL ADS. Also, IMO drugs should not be advertised to laypeople who are potential clients. The average person has no idea what those drugs really do and really don't benefit from these ads. If anything all those commercials do is breed paranoia and hypochondria. They hinder the decision making processes between the doctor, patient, and pharmacist.
On the flipside, the consumer is more educated on what is available. The consumer is not going to be able to make a doc prescribe anything. A patient maybe able to ask for a different drug, but it will still be the docs final call.

I have no idea if any govt monies were used to make boner pills.

Point #3 Rebuttal: I don't really agree with what you are saying. I guess compared to working at walmart it is more regulated but you are comparing apples to oranges. Medicine is its own kind of monster. Maybe if you tried comparing a more successful medical system, like that of the Scandinavian countries, or of Sweden, or Japan, or England, or Germany, or Australia, or most of the civilized world for that matter you'd realize how free our medical market is and how many of those other countries blame this for our bad quality and extreme expense.

My point is that elective procedures reside outside of insurance and are often less regulated and they have been growing in price at a rate less than inflation. I think this speaks volumes for some of the reform that is needed. When markets get over regulated they get dysfunctional and that is where we are now.
Point #3 Part B Rebuttal: I have no idea why you are talking about elective surgeries. It is an opportunity to make money to balance the uninsured who can't pay and default.
See above.

Point #4 Rebuttal: I personally think PA's are great and most I have interacted with are very knowledgeable and great providers. I am sorry that Texas has archaic and silly laws and this is a perfect example of why politicians have to be willing to adapt the regulations to the changing market. Medicine is always changing at the speed of light and the regulations must be able to adapt. It sound like the same problems DO's had for so many years. The medical system has to be willing to push for these changes. I also think that if certain regulations aren't working or acting in an adverse fashion than they should be dealt with. It is part of governing.

Just because they are slow out of the gate doesn't mean we should just throw all regulations out the window to never be used again and let them do whatever the fuck they want.

Who said anything about throwing all regulation out? But lets face it there are many regulations that are without a doubt anti-consumer.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

Oh yes because I'm not on Tenncare personally I have no fucking clue. Feel free to go read about our disaster of epic proportions. Soon to be rolled out nation wide!

First hand knowledge is more helpful than what you read in a paper that has an agenda don't you think? And the statement was general in nature and did not get into any specifics. Is that not true?