Obama's universal healthcare will help shift more blue-state wealth to red states

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
story link

Well, the ATPN folks from blue states are always screaming about how they send way more tax $ to the federal government than they get back. I guess it's only appropriate that their support for this means that they'll be hit up for even more dough. Good thing California is taking actions like shutting down their state parks, that'll free up some more money for those of us in red states.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Even red states have a large population of Democrats and Independents residing there.

In the end, however, it's just humans helping other humans. Even if all 50 million uninsured people in the US were Republicans, I would have no qualms about sending my tax money to help them get health care.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Welll duh, have you seen the amount of poverty in red states? Us blue staters subsidize non-productive red states. Shocking news at 11.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Cancel Agricultural Subsidies and the Blue States will probably Save $$.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Even red states have a large population of Democrats and Independents residing there.

In the end, however, it's just humans helping other humans. Even if all 50 million uninsured people in the US were Republicans, I would have no qualms about sending my tax money to help them get health care.

What if all 50 million were free-loading assholes that can work but dont because they are lazy and would rather get a hand-out from society? Hypothetically speaking, are you still ok with sending them your money?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

A large amount of them are illegals though and I have a big problem with that. They leech off of our emergency room service and pass infectious diseases like swine flu to our children.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I am a giant among men. I am most happy to live in a place, a blue state, with people of capacity and earnings and to transfer onto my broad and powerful shoulders a larger portion of the load then mere average people can bare. As a giant among men I hardly feel the burden. I love being an Obyvatel.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Hacp

A large amount of them are illegals though and I have a big problem with that. They leech off of our emergency room service and pass infectious diseases like swine flu to our children.
WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!?!?

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII
I'm sorry, I always forget. Which is blue and which is red?

I was serious. I don't want to create a new thread for this. Considering that this thread is flame-bait and should be locked soon, could someone please answer?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Cuda1447

What if all 50 million were free-loading assholes that can work but dont because they are lazy and would rather get a hand-out from society? Hypothetically speaking, are you still ok with sending them your money?

What if the 50 million were the only ones actually doing anything and the 250 million were Free Loading off them?

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski

What if the 50 million were the only ones actually doing anything and the 250 million were Free Loading off them?

Well, if we are talking hypothetically, I'd venture to guess that the 250mil aren't actually freeloading, but there isn't substantial opportunity to get health care. As I find it hard to believe that 83% of America is lazy and freeloaders. I do however think that there is a good chance that 17% of Americans (less when you calculate how many of those illegals counted in the 50mil aren't actually Americans) are lazy freeloaders and those people don't deserve a dime, in my opinion.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

:shocked:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Well, if we are talking hypothetically, I'd venture to guess that the 250mil aren't actually freeloading, but there isn't substantial opportunity to get health care. As I find it hard to believe that 83% of America is lazy and freeloaders. I do however think that there is a good chance that 17% of Americans (less when you calculate how many of those illegals counted in the 50mil aren't actually Americans) are lazy freeloaders and those people don't deserve a dime, in my opinion.

My Hypothetical was as ridiculous as yours. Stick to Facts.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002

Apparently you didn't like me answering your hypothetical and you had just banked on me calling 'bogus' on you? Thats unfortunate, because the whole point of the hypothetical is to get at ideologies. You see, I understand there are a great many people that are in need of health insurance (relatively speaking). I understand there are people who are disabled, mentally ill, have fallen upon very hard times or whatever else the reason is, that are in need of the rest of the society helping them out a little bit. I'm alright with that. The thing is though, a large percentage of these uninsured are uninsured not because they are not capable of getting insurance, but because they have made very poor choices in life and are directly responsible for their own circumstances. I am not in favor of helping those out that are unwilling to help themselves out. If you are lazy, skipped school, showed up late to work, never worked in life to better yourself, but instead F'd around all day and night, doing drugs, drinking, partying or whatever else the situation is and now you've decided you need health insurance. Well to fucking bad. Maybe you should have thought of that when you were living the 'high life'. Same can be said for illegals. To bad, get the hell out. For those few that honestly have tried to get health insurance and cannot, well I feel for you. We need to find a way to help those people out, to address this on an individual basis. But to simply give out handouts to illegals and lazies is simply unacceptable to me.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Apparently you didn't like me answering your hypothetical and you had just banked on me calling 'bogus' on you? Thats unfortunate, because the whole point of the hypothetical is to get at ideologies. You see, I understand there are a great many people that are in need of health insurance (relatively speaking). I understand there are people who are disabled, mentally ill, have fallen upon very hard times or whatever else the reason is, that are in need of the rest of the society helping them out a little bit. I'm alright with that. The thing is though, a large percentage of these uninsured are uninsured not because they are not capable of getting insurance, but because they have made very poor choices in life and are directly responsible for their own circumstances. I am not in favor of helping those out that are unwilling to help themselves out. If you are lazy, skipped school, showed up late to work, never worked in life to better yourself, but instead F'd around all day and night, doing drugs, drinking, partying or whatever else the situation is and now you've decided you need health insurance. Well to fucking bad. Maybe you should have thought of that when you were living the 'high life'. Same can be said for illegals. To bad, get the hell out. For those few that honestly have tried to get health insurance and cannot, well I feel for you. We need to find a way to help those people out, to address this on an individual basis. But to simply give out handouts to illegals and lazies is simply unacceptable to me.

Apparently you've fallen for the Line about people without Health Insurance just being Lazy. The Facts say otherwise and the Fact that People with Health Insurance who get Denied Treatment when needed says something is inherently Wrong with the US Health Insurance Industry.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Sigh. Congrats on being duped. A vast majority of the 50 million uninsured Americans HAVE JOBS. If they didn't and they were on welfare they'd already be covered by Medicaid. Something we already pay for.

You have fallen for the propaganda my friend.

What most people don't understand is that we already pay for those 50 million. We just do it in the most inefficient and expensive way possible.

I don't know how many times I can explain this.

When Sally Mae Trailerpark goes to the hospital and can't pay her bill, the hospital adjusts for the loss by increasing the cost of all procedures.
It happens if she is too lazy to take care of herself,
It happens if she does have insurance but it is just shitty and her claim gets denied,
It happens if she is an illegal working under the table,
It happens if she actually is trying her hardest but she is also paying bills for a sick child,
It happens if she is a free loader and just refuses to take care of herself,
It happens NO MATTER WHAT.
WE ALREADY PAY FOR IT. Just mismanaged.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: glenn1
story link

Well, the ATPN folks from blue states are always screaming about how they send way more tax $ to the federal government than they get back. I guess it's only appropriate that their support for this means that they'll be hit up for even more dough. Good thing California is taking actions like shutting down their state parks, that'll free up some more money for those of us in red states.

Yes, we support covering ALL Americans, even if it costs us more taxes.
If you look at sick people in need of care, and divide them into red and blue staters, that is your mentality. You shouldn't project it onto others.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002

Apparently you've fallen for the Line about people without Health Insurance just being Lazy. The Facts say otherwise and the Fact that People with Health Insurance who get Denied Treatment when needed says something is inherently Wrong with the US Health Insurance Industry.

Teach me something then. Let me see these facts please. If you are going to speak of facts, or Facts, as you put it (emphasizing the importance?) then please, show me these facts.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I am a giant among men. I am most happy to live in a place, a blue state, with people of capacity and earnings and to transfer onto my broad and powerful shoulders a larger portion of the load then mere average people can bare. As a giant among men I hardly feel the burden. I love being an Obyvatel.

Frankly, I'm finding your offering a little skimpy, so could you send a little more? I accept paypal!

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
So programs red staters dont want pushed by people they dont like are then thrown in their face as "See, we're helping you!" and you expect them to smile about it?

It seems to me its more a case of blue states forcing their ideas and opinions on a group of people who want nothing to do with it. I would hardly parade around and grandstand the fact this initiative moves money from one group to another when the receiving group isnt asking for it.

Of course one could always bring up the interesting point that the states which are pushing this have budget problems and states which currently have lower levels of health care dont have near the budget problems. Thats telling in and of itself.

Health care is not a right. Period.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: SirStev0

Sigh. Congrats on being duped. A vast majority of the 50 million uninsured Americans HAVE JOBS. If they didn't and they were on welfare they'd already be covered by Medicaid. Something we already pay for.

What most people don't understand is that we already pay for those 50 million. We just do it in the most inefficient and expensive way possible.

When Sally Mae Trailerpark goes to the hospital and can't pay her bill, the hospital adjusts for the loss by increasing the cost of all procedures.
It happens if she does have insurance but it is just shitty and her claim gets denied,
It happens if she actually is trying her hardest but she is also paying bills for a sick child,

Exactly. I swear the people against UHC have really short attention spans and can't grasp these facts.

In fact, in any of the billion other threads, huge pools of facts showing that it's mostly hard working American citizens that have problems / can't afford healthcare / are denied for pre-existing conditions are always glossed over by the "GOP party-line trotters".

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: TruePaige

Exactly. I swear the people against UHC have really short attention spans and can't grasp these facts.

In fact, in any of the billion other threads, huge pools of facts showing that it's mostly hard working American citizens that have problems / can't afford healthcare / are denied for pre-existing conditions are always glossed over by the "GOP party-line trotters".

Let me ask you a question.

Do you deal with any State run healthcare now for you or your kids?

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: EXman
Originally posted by: TruePaige

Let me ask you a question.

Do you deal with any State run healthcare now for you or your kids?

I know exactly what you are going to be getting at right here. And here is the surprise answer you probably weren't expecting.

I completely agree with you. I honestly DO NOT think the United States (currently) is capable of developing a UHC program that is efficient and successful.

Let's be honest with each other. All politicians are scum bags. Both sides. Our congress and bureaucracy are all shows and mirrors and posturing. Any attempts to truly implement UHC in the US, I think, will be full of compromises and back rubs for corporations, and lots and lots and lots of screwing over the American people. Just like everything else we do.

Look at Farm Subsidizes and tell me that they are for really there for the little guy. It is just a show to convince people that something was done for them and for the hard working american man. In reality it is a horrible wasteful program that only helps their buddies from Yale's Ag Conglomerate.

With that being said, though, I don't think UHC would work in the US, it isn't because I don't think UHC is a better program, especially compared to the current system. Every other country that has some form of UHC is better off than the US.

We are hemorrhaging money in our current system and we have shitty care. Go ahead and quote anecdotal evidence about Canadian Waiting Periods for care, but the fact is that statistical evidences shows that their waits are almost exactly the same as ours in almost every category. The kicker is that they significantly pay less (even taking into account taxes to pay for UHC) and everyone has access.

The US UHC be a huge shit sandwich. But it is better than the huge shit dagwood we are already eating.

That is, unless we actually get some politicians with balls who are willing to actually put aside their interests and really serve the people. But let's be honest, that ain't going to happen.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Just as long as my taxes can go up along with waiting times, then I am happy. I might as well stop fighting it.