Obama's universal healthcare will help shift more blue-state wealth to red states

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Just as long as my taxes can go up along with waiting times, then I am happy. I might as well stop fighting it.

It is the life long dream of every pig to be the only one at the trough, no?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Hacp
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Even red states have a large population of Democrats and Independents residing there.

In the end, however, it's just humans helping other humans. Even if all 50 million uninsured people in the US were Republicans, I would have no qualms about sending my tax money to help them get health care.

A large amount of them are illegals though and I have a big problem with that. They leech off of our emergency room service and pass infectious diseases like swine flu to our children.

Racist much? Or are you just trolling? Flue's and disease don't target a certain group. Anyone can get it and pass it on. So your post holds no merit.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
I'm sure this post was intended to rile up democrats, but you'll find they just aren't as selfish as you are.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Mani
I'm sure this post was intended to rile up democrats, but you'll find they just aren't as selfish as you are.

So what if I am a republican and selfish? That is my right. If I want to spend $100,000 to take my wife to New York for a date, then it is my business. Sure I can donate that money to a fund to help malnourished babies... but is this really my concern?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: rudder

So what if I am a republican and selfish? That is my right. If I want to spend $100,000 to take my wife to New York for a date, then it is my business. Sure I can donate that money to a fund to help malnourished babies... but is this really my concern?
We're not talking about donations. You can still take $100,000 of your earnings and blow it on whatever you want. Your taxes are what pay for this program, and you'll be paying those taxes unless you 1) are dead or 2) leave the country.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: glenn1
story link

Well, the ATPN folks from blue states are always screaming about how they send way more tax $ to the federal government than they get back. I guess it's only appropriate that their support for this means that they'll be hit up for even more dough. Good thing California is taking actions like shutting down their state parks, that'll free up some more money for those of us in red states.

Don't rejoice over this too much, glenn. You forget that there are TONS of red voters in a "blue" state like California; farmers that are responsible for a substantial portion of the produce in the US, trying to eke out a living with the crippling state taxes and money flowing out of the state, and overruled in every election by the city folk blue voters.

California should be split into three states, so some portions of the state could vote themselves into oblivion while leaving other portions untouched. :(

It happens in Washington too. The eastern side of this "blue state" votes vehemently red and strongly resents King and Pierce counties, which flip the vote the moment they are tallied. They vote for ridiculous levels of environmental protection (that cost them nothing and harm them not at all, while the entire burden winds up on the farmers and ranchers) and merrily strip a few layers off the rights of their more independently minded neighbors across the mountains.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: rudder

We're not talking about donations. You can still take $100,000 of your earnings and blow it on whatever you want. Your taxes are what pay for this program, and you'll be paying those taxes unless you 1) are dead or 2) leave the country.

You know what I find really interesting about you jpeyton, you are quite possibly the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen in my life.

At one end of the scale you scream "rights rights rights" for example, the majority pushing their beliefs on the minorities in the gay rights movement. You don't think we should be telling the gays how to live their life. But at the same time, you push your agendas on others and when they simply question its effectiveness, quality etc... you say something as absolute as

"you'll be paying those taxes unless you 1) are dead or 2) leave the country."

First of all, you aren't the ruler of the U.S. In fact, no one is. We make these decisions together, as a country. Even your beloved Obama doesn't have the power to make these decisions on his own, so I think you should get off that power tripping high horse of yours and realize the rest of the country has to be on board with your ideas (which they might be, we will see). Secondly, you are EXTREMELY bitter towards Republicans it seems, something I don't entirely understand. It almost seems like hate. In fact, I think it is hate. I would venture to guess you hate Republicans more than any person here hates gay marriage, Obama or anything else. Why? Simply because they disagree with you? Don't you find that to be amazingly hypocritical?

How many other people cringe when they see this joker post (Dem's and Repub's are welcome to respond).

You see Jpeyton, there is a huge difference between debating a point and disagreeing, which is what most of us do. And pure hatred, bias and trolling (which is exactly what you do).

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
Even red states have a large population of Democrats and Independents residing there.

In the end, however, it's just humans helping other humans. Even if all 50 million uninsured people in the US were Republicans, I would have no qualms about sending my tax money to help them get health care.

A large amount of them are illegals though and I have a big problem with that. They leech off of our emergency room service and pass infectious diseases like swine flu to our children.

Racist much? Or are you just trolling? Flue's and disease don't target a certain group. Anyone can get it and pass it on. So your post holds no merit.

The flu came from mexico. The outbreak happened in mexico. Through illegal migration of said mexicans, the virus somehow got into the US.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
At one end of the scale you scream "rights rights rights" for example, the majority pushing their beliefs on the minorities in the gay rights movement. You don't think we should be telling the gays how to live their life.
That's true. I don't understand how allowing gays to marry would affect the marriage of a non-gay couple. Gays are just a group of people, and as a country we don't deny a group of people rights afforded to others through a majority vote.

If you can't understand the fundamental difference between a civil rights issue like gay marriage and a government service issue like health care, I can't help you.

We make these decisions together, as a country. Even your beloved Obama doesn't have the power to make these decisions on his own, so I think you should get off that power tripping high horse of yours and realize the rest of the country has to be on board with your ideas (which they might be, we will see).
I'm pretty sure they're on board. Obama was crystal clear on his pursuit of universal health care during the election; he mentioned it in nearly every speech during the campaign. The Democratic party platform stated the same. The country wouldn't have elected Obama and Democratic super-majorities in Congress if they didn't want UHC.

Secondly, you are EXTREMELY bitter towards Republicans it seems, something I don't entirely understand.
You just now realized that? You must be new to P&N.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

The flu came from mexico. The outbreak happened in mexico. Through illegal migration of said mexicans, the virus somehow got into the US.

BS. It came(to everywhere on the Planet) from Tourists vacationing in Mexico.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Most of the data I have seen (we were right in the middle of learning Epidemiology in med school when Swine Flu broke out) has shown that almost exclusively it was carried by people in Mexico for either Business or Vacation. There was some small amounts of spread near the Rio Grande by migrant workers but almost everything past that has nothing to do with Illegals. Troll elstewhere.

Paddington

Jun 26, 2006
I work in the medical field.

If you guys are upset about your insurance companies allegedly denying treatments, expect a lot more of that to happen if the healthcare system is socialized. In America you can get the latest treatments, you can get almost any prescription drug. You can get MRI's, CT Scan's, with the flick of a doctor's pen (or more likely keystroke). You can get heroic interventions like trauma helicopters going out into the sticks to bring in mangled truck vs. bicyclist victims. In socialized systems, all these things are a lot less common. The drug formularies are small. MRI's require some major documentation provided to the authorities before you can get one; doctors can't just order them. And heroic interventions that the U.S. is known for don't exist in many cases.

Paddington

Jun 26, 2006
Let me also say that I've never seen a patient not being treated because they didn't have insurance, and a lot of our patients are uninsured. To make sure they're looked after once they get out, we have social workers arrange outpatient followup as well as prescription coverage for them as well. Anyone here in this country who tells you don't have healthcare is fvcking lying to you.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I am a giant among men. I am most happy to live in a place, a blue state, with people of capacity and earnings and to transfer onto my broad and powerful shoulders a larger portion of the load then mere average people can bare. As a giant among men I hardly feel the burden. I love being an Obyvatel.

I hope you never change... cause you havent in the 10+ years I've watched you posts... you giant man?

SHUX

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Paddington

If you guys are upset about your insurance companies allegedly denying treatments, expect a lot more of that to happen if the healthcare system is socialized. In America you can get the latest treatments, you can get almost any prescription drug. You can get MRI's, CT Scan's, with the flick of a doctor's pen (or more likely keystroke). You can get heroic interventions like trauma helicopters going out into the sticks to bring in mangled truck vs. bicyclist victims. In socialized systems, all these things are a lot less common. The drug formularies are small. MRI's require some major documentation provided to the authorities before you can get one; doctors can't just order them. And heroic interventions that the U.S. is known for don't exist in many cases.

I am going to be a doctor.

I disagree about almost everything you just said. I could pick each piece apart. Talk about how over used MRI's are. Bring up about how INCREDIBLY wasteful Heroic intervention is. And point out all the little faults you just mentioned. I could, but it is all worthless because you will just continue to ignore the biggest fact.

If you really work in the medical field you already know that we don't have the most expensive system in the world because of speed, great care, and risky all out operations.

It is the most incredibly over expensive fuck up system in the world because it is hugely unorganized and badly put together. That is the problem. Privatized medicine is FOR PROFIT. Period. There concern is maximizing profit.

Making the system run efficiently or making sure everyone gets good care, or insuring doctors are doing proper things all play second fiddle to the almighty profit. We don't try to fix the problems because that would hurt short term profit. Instead we just raise the price and exclude more people. That is the problem with the US healthcare system.

Believe me, if there was another way to fix this problem, I would be all about it because I think in the end UHC will just be another shitty mismanaged gov't program.

EDIT: to address your other post
Let me also say that I've never seen a patient not being treated because they didn't have insurance, and a lot of our patients are uninsured. To make sure they're looked after once they get out, we have social workers arrange outpatient followup as well as prescription coverage for them as well. Anyone here in this country who tells you don't have healthcare is fvcking lying to you.

Yes, they are covered and then they get an ABSURDLY overcharged bill, which they don't pay. Then the hospital recoups the money by increasing the amount procedures cost. Insurance companies fix their loss of revenue by increasing premiums. Another person gets sick and now they can't afford it either and the cycle starts again. Stop being naive.
And please tell me, what is it that you actually do?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Shuxclams
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I am a giant among men. I am most happy to live in a place, a blue state, with people of capacity and earnings and to transfer onto my broad and powerful shoulders a larger portion of the load then mere average people can bare. As a giant among men I hardly feel the burden. I love being an Obyvatel.

I hope you never change... cause you havent in the 10+ years I've watched you posts... you giant man?

SHUX

Hello there Shux, long time no see. I do change some. I keep getting bigger. ;) D'oh, it has been ten years.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Forgive my ignorance, but my understanding is that Obama's UHC plan is only to cover the uninsured, so those with insurance through their work would stay as is. So it seems like the majority of people would have no difference even with UHC. Wouldn't that make health care still privatized for the most part?

Also with that, why would a company continue to provide insurance if the federal government offers it? I heard something about imposing penalties if a company does not provide health insurance but are able to, whatever that means. But from what I see companies paying for every employee, those fines would have to be HUGE for a company to continue to provide it. I mean a large corporation would rather take a $1 million fine than pay millions per year for health insurance, no?

teclis1023

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2007
Teach me something then. Let me see these facts please. If you are going to speak of facts, or Facts, as you put it (emphasizing the importance?) then please, show me these facts.

Well, I don't have too many facts to throw around, but when I was younger and just out of undergrad, I worked two jobs (Brookstone and CompUSA) and I couldn't afford health care. My girlfriend at the time worked at a coffee shop and Guess (the clothing store) and she also couldn't afford health care.

We both graduated cum laude with dual majors from a tier 2 college, but couldn't find jobs in our field without graduate studies :/

It's not that we didn't want it, but unfortunately couldn't afford it. Now, I'm sure that there are people gaming the system, and I'm sure that there are illegals reaping benefits that they don't deserve; however, I'm willing to bet that most people who don't have health care simply can't afford it. Perhaps they don't understand the benefits, or perhaps the plans they're being offered simply aren't worth it.

My problem with the American health care system is that it's run by firms who are out to make a profit. Generally, I'm pro business, but when it comes to health care, I see profit as a corrupting factor. Patients pay huge deductables, and are denied treatment for serious conditions. Doctor recommendations are ignored by guys working in a cubicle hundreds of miles away because it would cut into a firm's profits.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: duragezic
Forgive my ignorance, but my understanding is that Obama's UHC plan is only to cover the uninsured, so those with insurance through their work would stay as is. So it seems like the majority of people would have no difference even with UHC. Wouldn't that make health care still privatized for the most part?

Also with that, why would a company continue to provide insurance if the federal government offers it? I heard something about imposing penalties if a company does not provide health insurance but are able to, whatever that means. But from what I see companies paying for every employee, those fines would have to be HUGE for a company to continue to provide it. I mean a large corporation would rather take a $1 million fine than pay millions per year for health insurance, no?

First off, companies don't supply insurance. The idea behind getting insurance through work is that many people all buying the same coverage get a discount. Kind of like shopping at sam's club; if you buy it in bulk the price per ounce goes down.

So far the idea, BHO has been throwing around isn't really UHC. It is a gov't run insurance program. You pay an affordable rate each year and you have coverage. It is much more affordable because millions of people could be involved. Again, bought in bulk it is much cheaper.

If you have insurance through your employer you know they take out a certain amount of your pay each month to cover your insurance.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: teclis1023
Teach me something then. Let me see these facts please. If you are going to speak of facts, or Facts, as you put it (emphasizing the importance?) then please, show me these facts.

Well, I don't have too many facts to throw around, but when I was younger and just out of undergrad, I worked two jobs (Brookstone and CompUSA) and I couldn't afford health care. My girlfriend at the time worked at a coffee shop and Guess (the clothing store) and she also couldn't afford health care.

We both graduated cum laude with dual majors from a tier 2 college, but couldn't find jobs in our field without graduate studies :/

It's not that we didn't want it, but unfortunately couldn't afford it. Now, I'm sure that there are people gaming the system, and I'm sure that there are illegals reaping benefits that they don't deserve; however, I'm willing to bet that most people who don't have health care simply can't afford it. Perhaps they don't understand the benefits, or perhaps the plans they're being offered simply aren't worth it.

My problem with the American health care system is that it's run by firms who are out to make a profit. Generally, I'm pro business, but when it comes to health care, I see profit as a corrupting factor. Patients pay huge deductables, and are denied treatment for serious conditions. Doctor recommendations are ignored by guys working in a cubicle hundreds of miles away because it would cut into a firm's profits.

You must be a lazy illegal.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: shadow9d9
Originally posted by: teclis1023

You must be a lazy illegal.

Just remember: Our lives aren't worth a few dollars to many who "see red".

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007

You're acting as if when we have socialized healthcare, you'll have to wait 3 weeks to get your viagra prescription filled.

What's the over/under for people who have insurance/pay for medical care vs. getting the same exact treatment as those who can't pay (or walk away from the bill) in emergency situations? I know: those who can't pay eventually end up as bankrupt as the ones who get insurance.

Heroic interventions and helicopter med-evac happens regardless of whether you pay for it, or not. That's the law. A hospital can't deny you care in the US, and it's a good thing. I'm glad to contribute my tax dollars to such efforts. Life is precious, no?

Take a look at any ER across the country, and you'll see that the folks in line are those that seek emergency help because they failed to get routine early prevention through a much cheaper GP. Shit, I've been to the ER many times because I've had a non-life-threatening accident (random cock in ass, followed by falling down stairs). None of the people in the waiting room are there because of a car crash, or a sudden stroke, or a piano falling on their head--such emergency cases are treated with priority regardless of insurance or the ability to pay for the care. You get the "I don't have a GP and I've got a wicked flu" folks at the ER and the hospital and you (through your insurance premiums) pay for these folks' lack of coverage.

Hospitals lose money on treating folks without any insurance. They lose a lot of money. Charging someone $1500 for a treatment doen't make up for providing the same treatment by law to 3 others for $0.

If all four patients contributed $375, the hospital would be breaking even, and everyone would be paying less because they have basic emergency coverage. You can ask me about how those three who didn't pay will be able to pay now, and I'll refer to you to a separate discussion of how the whole "everyone pitch in so that we don't have to pay so much" thread. You're ALREADY paying for these people through your taxes--money wasted is money wasted. Are you upset that paying your current health insurance premium will degrade the level of your healthcare?

If I were to introduce universal healthcare across the nation, I would account for a few things:

-The privately insured are already paying for the uninsured with their premiums. You guys know how the whole car insurance thing works with bad drivers, right? In this case, the poor bad drivers pay NOTHING, because they walk away at the expense of the hospital.

-Hospitals are spending lots of money from their surpluses (which can be used to hire, expand, do more research work) on folks they treat who give $0 back.

-YOU ARE ALREADY PAYING FOR SOCIALIZED HEALTHCARE, because you're paying higher taxes and insurance premiums to have competent healthcare in your neighborhood.

A truly "nationally structured" healthcare program will reduce cost to you, and the biggest socialized healthcare program in the world is already here in the US--Medicaid.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Originally posted by: EXman
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Sigh. Congrats on being duped. A vast majority of the 50 million uninsured Americans HAVE JOBS. If they didn't and they were on welfare they'd already be covered by Medicaid. Something we already pay for.

You have fallen for the propaganda my friend.

What most people don't understand is that we already pay for those 50 million. We just do it in the most inefficient and expensive way possible.

I don't know how many times I can explain this.

When Sally Mae Trailerpark goes to the hospital and can't pay her bill, the hospital adjusts for the loss by increasing the cost of all procedures.
It happens if she is too lazy to take care of herself,
It happens if she does have insurance but it is just shitty and her claim gets denied,
It happens if she is an illegal working under the table,
It happens if she actually is trying her hardest but she is also paying bills for a sick child,
It happens if she is a free loader and just refuses to take care of herself,
It happens NO MATTER WHAT.
WE ALREADY PAY FOR IT. Just mismanaged.

Exactly. I swear the people against UHC have really short attention spans and can't grasp these facts.

In fact, in any of the billion other threads, huge pools of facts showing that it's mostly hard working American citizens that have problems / can't afford healthcare / are denied for pre-existing conditions are always glossed over by the "GOP party-line trotters".

Let me ask you a question.

Do you deal with any State run healthcare now for you or your kids?

I know exactly what you are going to be getting at right here. And here is the surprise answer you probably weren't expecting.

I completely agree with you. I honestly DO NOT think the United States (currently) is capable of developing a UHC program that is efficient and successful.

Let's be honest with each other. All politicians are scum bags. Both sides. Our congress and bureaucracy are all shows and mirrors and posturing. Any attempts to truly implement UHC in the US, I think, will be full of compromises and back rubs for corporations, and lots and lots and lots of screwing over the American people. Just like everything else we do.

Look at Farm Subsidizes and tell me that they are for really there for the little guy. It is just a show to convince people that something was done for them and for the hard working american man. In reality it is a horrible wasteful program that only helps their buddies from Yale's Ag Conglomerate.

With that being said, though, I don't think UHC would work in the US, it isn't because I don't think UHC is a better program, especially compared to the current system. Every other country that has some form of UHC is better off than the US.

We are hemorrhaging money in our current system and we have shitty care. Go ahead and quote anecdotal evidence about Canadian Waiting Periods for care, but the fact is that statistical evidences shows that their waits are almost exactly the same as ours in almost every category. The kicker is that they significantly pay less (even taking into account taxes to pay for UHC) and everyone has access.

The US UHC be a huge shit sandwich. But it is better than the huge shit dagwood we are already eating.

That is, unless we actually get some politicians with balls who are willing to actually put aside their interests and really serve the people. But let's be honest, that ain't going to happen.

Well I am happy to see that you can be honest about it being a huge shit sandwich!

There are a few points where we disagree and I say you are flat wrong. But rather than taking it point by point I'll just point out the obvious statement that is wrong.

We are hemorrhaging money in our current system and we have shitty care. Go ahead and quote anecdotal evidence about Canadian Waiting Periods for care, but the fact is that statistical evidences shows that their waits are almost exactly the same as ours in almost every category. The kicker is that they significantly pay less (even taking into account taxes to pay for UHC) and everyone has access.

I have 1st hand knowledge of three reasons why that is not correct.

1st reason: I used to work for a canadian company. Guess what people came to our U.S. based part of the company to visit while they were on one of their 4 paid weeks of vacation? Healthcare. Yup they would come down here get a procedure done stop by our place to say hi and see how the Yanks were doin then go home. in 5 years I saw maybe a dozen people I know of in a small company do this. 12 isn't much but that is just the ones that I know of.

2nd reason: My father-in-law needed knee replacement surgery. He is a veteran. He has UHC as a part of DVA. How long did it take to get the MRI? 20 days. How long did it take to get the knee replacement? almost 3 years. They are backlogged and well younger vets get first priority. No kidding they tried to talk him out of it since he was to old late 50's.

3rd reason: My Kiddos are covered by our state run Schip. UHC for poor kids. Since I make alot by thier standards I have to pay for it and it is CHEAP! Guess what you get what you pay for. No doctor will take my kids and if they do they try and diagnose from the phone or give you a 2 minute office visit. Yea I said 2 minutes! Oh and guess what? You have to go through a bureaucracy to get it and you never talk to the same caseworker twice. They treat you as sub-human. They lose your paperwork. They deny paying for benefits and then guess what I have to end up paying the doctors cash due to the bureaucratic scumbags F'ed up as usual. So now the Cheap insurance costs a fortune and the sevice is on par with a post office late in the day. And since they are a government entity you cannot complain. No one cares! Thier jobs are safe! Doctors often get stuck with the bill and refuse to see patients that have our governments UHC for kids. You think you have Shitty service now? You have not seen anything! UHC is the most frustration thing I have ever delt with in my entire life and i'm married! ;)

I am glad to share that with anyone. Really I do not think everyone knows we already have UHC for kids and vets. It sucks. It sucks huge! Remember when dealing with bureaucrats you are going to lose every time. There is no benefit for them to be nice to you. There is no sense of urgency to get you proper care. Good doctors are hard to find. Finding a bureaucrat to care is impossible. You're screwed!

I have a HSA and I have to shop for a good deal on all medical expenses. My care is completely better in every way. Doctors love me cause I pay in cash (A HSA debit card) and I can get discounts.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
So I guess when I lay out the facts no one wants to admit UHC will be a disaster of epic proportions.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: EXman
So I guess when I lay out the facts no one wants to admit UHC will be a disaster of epic proportions.

Actual everything you said were personal observations and experiences.

That's not fact. :confused: