Obama's universal healthcare will help shift more blue-state wealth to red states

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Originally posted by: EXman
So I guess when I lay out the facts no one wants to admit UHC will be a disaster of epic proportions.

Actual everything you said were personal observations and experiences.

That's not fact. :confused:

Actually that is common place. It is rampant and if you do not understand rationing of healthcare sorry and a general lack of caring by your healthcare provider sorry. Next time when you are in a line of 20 people at the post office with one attendant ask yourself "Do I want these people running my healthcare?" It's a hell of alot closer to fact than anything you offered. :confused:

Do you have UHC? Do your theories mean more than my experience where the rubber hits the road? Or do you just listen to partisans that tell you we'll take care of you and sign your life away to people that just want more and more power?:eek:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
More "sky is falling" stories; not surprising.

I can't wait until Obama and the Dems get their UHC billed signed into law and your Chicken Little theories get torn apart.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So I guess when I lay out the facts no one wants to admit UHC will be a disaster of epic proportions.

Actually that is common place. It is rampant and if you do not understand rationing of healthcare sorry and a general lack of caring by your healthcare provider sorry. Next time when you are in a line of 20 people at the post office with one attendant ask yourself "Do I want these people running my healthcare?" It's a hell of alot closer to fact than anything you offered. :confused:

Do you have UHC? Do your theories mean more than my experience where the rubber hits the road? Or do you just listen to partisans that tell you we'll take care of you and sign your life away to people that just want more and more power?:eek:

I know of a couple(Husband American, Wife Canadian) who at one time had a Small Business and a Net Worth > $2million US, who lost it all and eventually moved to Canada after he ran into Health Problems.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: duragezic
Forgive my ignorance, but my understanding is that Obama's UHC plan is only to cover the uninsured, so those with insurance through their work would stay as is. So it seems like the majority of people would have no difference even with UHC. Wouldn't that make health care still privatized for the most part?

Also with that, why would a company continue to provide insurance if the federal government offers it? I heard something about imposing penalties if a company does not provide health insurance but are able to, whatever that means. But from what I see companies paying for every employee, those fines would have to be HUGE for a company to continue to provide it. I mean a large corporation would rather take a $1 million fine than pay millions per year for health insurance, no?

It wouldn't stay as is, you'll be paying more for those benefits now, but they'll remain the same.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Paddington
Let me also say that I've never seen a patient not being treated because they didn't have insurance, and a lot of our patients are uninsured. To make sure they're looked after once they get out, we have social workers arrange outpatient followup as well as prescription coverage for them as well. Anyone here in this country who tells you don't have healthcare is fvcking lying to you.

Just because you have crushing medical bills for the rest of your life for your substandard care... doesnt mean that it cant be improved...

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

Nobody is saying UHC is going to stamp out private healthcare in the US. A happy medium can be reached to offer UHC to people who cannot afford it and/or reserve it for only serious injuries. Nobody is saying the US will become a healthcare shthole like Canada, we're quite aware that Canada has ALOT of improving to do.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Even red states have a large population of Democrats and Independents residing there.

In the end, however, it's just humans helping other humans. Even if all 50 million uninsured people in the US were Republicans, I would have no qualms about sending my tax money to help them get health care.

What if all 50 million were free-loading assholes that can work but dont because they are lazy and would rather get a hand-out from society? Hypothetically speaking, are you still ok with sending them your money?

What if the 50 million were the only ones actually doing anything and the 250 million were Free Loading off them?

Well, if we are talking hypothetically, I'd venture to guess that the 250mil aren't actually freeloading, but there isn't substantial opportunity to get health care. As I find it hard to believe that 83% of America is lazy and freeloaders. I do however think that there is a good chance that 17% of Americans (less when you calculate how many of those illegals counted in the 50mil aren't actually Americans) are lazy freeloaders and those people don't deserve a dime, in my opinion.

My Hypothetical was as ridiculous as yours. Stick to Facts.

Apparently you didn't like me answering your hypothetical and you had just banked on me calling 'bogus' on you? Thats unfortunate, because the whole point of the hypothetical is to get at ideologies. You see, I understand there are a great many people that are in need of health insurance (relatively speaking). I understand there are people who are disabled, mentally ill, have fallen upon very hard times or whatever else the reason is, that are in need of the rest of the society helping them out a little bit. I'm alright with that. The thing is though, a large percentage of these uninsured are uninsured not because they are not capable of getting insurance, but because they have made very poor choices in life and are directly responsible for their own circumstances. I am not in favor of helping those out that are unwilling to help themselves out. If you are lazy, skipped school, showed up late to work, never worked in life to better yourself, but instead F'd around all day and night, doing drugs, drinking, partying or whatever else the situation is and now you've decided you need health insurance. Well to fucking bad. Maybe you should have thought of that when you were living the 'high life'. Same can be said for illegals. To bad, get the hell out. For those few that honestly have tried to get health insurance and cannot, well I feel for you. We need to find a way to help those people out, to address this on an individual basis. But to simply give out handouts to illegals and lazies is simply unacceptable to me.

Sigh. Congrats on being duped. A vast majority of the 50 million uninsured Americans HAVE JOBS. If they didn't and they were on welfare they'd already be covered by Medicaid. Something we already pay for.

You have fallen for the propaganda my friend.

What most people don't understand is that we already pay for those 50 million. We just do it in the most inefficient and expensive way possible.

I don't know how many times I can explain this.

When Sally Mae Trailerpark goes to the hospital and can't pay her bill, the hospital adjusts for the loss by increasing the cost of all procedures.
It happens if she is too lazy to take care of herself,
It happens if she does have insurance but it is just shitty and her claim gets denied,
It happens if she is an illegal working under the table,
It happens if she actually is trying her hardest but she is also paying bills for a sick child,
It happens if she is a free loader and just refuses to take care of herself,
It happens NO MATTER WHAT.
WE ALREADY PAY FOR IT. Just mismanaged.

The problem is the hospitals and doctors aren't going to lower their fee's, because they know they will be paid.
Universal Health Care/Coverage is nothing more than a sound bite to help win re-elections. The reality of it is the Healthcare system needs to be completely overhauled from the ground up.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

I can't wait until Obama and the Dems get their UHC billed signed into law and your Chicken Little theories get torn apart.

Are you telling us that you can't wait for them to sign a bill that you haven't even seen yet? Wow that's a lot of trust.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: SP33Demon

Nobody is saying UHC is going to stamp out private healthcare in the US. A happy medium can be reached to offer UHC to people who cannot afford it and/or reserve it for only serious injuries. Nobody is saying the US will become a healthcare shthole like Canada, we're quite aware that Canada has ALOT of improving to do.

The UHC for the uninsured in Tennessee went over very well... But no one ever brings that up as a positive talking point for UHC for some reason.

dyna

Oct 20, 2006

More than 75 percent of these bankrupt families had health insurance but still were overwhelmed by their medical debts, the team at Harvard Law School, Harvard Medical School and Ohio University reported in the American Journal of Medicine.

"Using a conservative definition, 62.1 percent of all bankruptcies in 2007 were medical; 92 percent of these medical debtors had medical debts over $5,000, or 10 percent of pretax family income," the researchers wrote. "Most medical debtors were well-educated, owned homes and had middle-class occupations."

There is a problem that millions are uninsured and need health insurance but even if they were able to get it, they will still go bankrupt/not afford it. Healthcare costs for insured are insane. Our healthcare system needs to be looked at from many different angles, not just focusing on the millions that don't have health coverage. The fact is they won't be able to afford healthcare even if they are insured.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269

Are you telling us that you can't wait for them to sign a bill that you haven't even seen yet? Wow that's a lot of trust.

It's not rocket science. Compensate the medical industry fairly, they take the patients and treat them. No non-paying clients drives costs down, GDP expenditure remains <= current expenditure, and everybody lives with a better quality of life.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

It's not rocket science. Compensate the medical industry fairly, they take the patients and treat them. No non-paying clients drives costs down, GDP expenditure remains <= current expenditure, and everybody lives with a better quality of life.

I'd love to hear some ideas on this 'fair' wage scale in terms of doctors. Will all doctors of the same specialization be compensated union-esque?

dyna

Oct 20, 2006

I'd love to hear some ideas on this 'fair' wage scale in terms of doctors. Will all doctors of the same specialization be compensated union-esque?

They should get same wages as their counterparts in other countries where we outsource. Other industries are adapting to a global economy to reduce wages, why not medical? In that case 10-15 bucks a hour sounds about right.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: dyna

They should get same wages as their counterparts in other countries where we outsource. Other industries are adapting to a global economy to reduce wages, why not medical? In that case 10-15 bucks a hour sounds about right.

I like what I'm reading please tell me more...

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
SNIPPED

Well I am happy to see that you can be honest about it being a huge shit sandwich!

There are a few points where we disagree and I say you are flat wrong. But rather than taking it point by point I'll just point out the obvious statement that is wrong.

We are hemorrhaging money in our current system and we have shitty care. Go ahead and quote anecdotal evidence about Canadian Waiting Periods for care, but the fact is that statistical evidences shows that their waits are almost exactly the same as ours in almost every category. The kicker is that they significantly pay less (even taking into account taxes to pay for UHC) and everyone has access.

I have 1st hand knowledge of three reasons why that is not correct.

1st reason: I used to work for a canadian company. Guess what people came to our U.S. based part of the company to visit while they were on one of their 4 paid weeks of vacation? Healthcare. Yup they would come down here get a procedure done stop by our place to say hi and see how the Yanks were doin then go home. in 5 years I saw maybe a dozen people I know of in a small company do this. 12 isn't much but that is just the ones that I know of.

2nd reason: My father-in-law needed knee replacement surgery. He is a veteran. He has UHC as a part of DVA. How long did it take to get the MRI? 20 days. How long did it take to get the knee replacement? almost 3 years. They are backlogged and well younger vets get first priority. No kidding they tried to talk him out of it since he was to old late 50's.

3rd reason: My Kiddos are covered by our state run Schip. UHC for poor kids. Since I make alot by thier standards I have to pay for it and it is CHEAP! Guess what you get what you pay for. No doctor will take my kids and if they do they try and diagnose from the phone or give you a 2 minute office visit. Yea I said 2 minutes! Oh and guess what? You have to go through a bureaucracy to get it and you never talk to the same caseworker twice. They treat you as sub-human. They lose your paperwork. They deny paying for benefits and then guess what I have to end up paying the doctors cash due to the bureaucratic scumbags F'ed up as usual. So now the Cheap insurance costs a fortune and the sevice is on par with a post office late in the day. And since they are a government entity you cannot complain. No one cares! Thier jobs are safe! Doctors often get stuck with the bill and refuse to see patients that have our governments UHC for kids. You think you have Shitty service now? You have not seen anything! UHC is the most frustration thing I have ever delt with in my entire life and i'm married! ;)

I am glad to share that with anyone. Really I do not think everyone knows we already have UHC for kids and vets. It sucks. It sucks huge! Remember when dealing with bureaucrats you are going to lose every time. There is no benefit for them to be nice to you. There is no sense of urgency to get you proper care. Good doctors are hard to find. Finding a bureaucrat to care is impossible. You're screwed!

I have a HSA and I have to shop for a good deal on all medical expenses. My care is completely better in every way. Doctors love me cause I pay in cash (A HSA debit card) and I can get discounts.

As someone pointed out this is again anecdotal evidence, but to be completely fair even one bad experience is too much.

I truly believe that at this day in age in a country as great as ours we should consider great healthcare (not adequate, not good, great) as a right and not a privilege. I realize this is incredibly naive but I feel that pessimism about the system is one of the major contributors to how bad it is. You have to believe we can do better to actually make things better.
With that said, I 100% agree with you about veteran services. They are horrible. It is despicable how this country takes care of veterans and almost every story I hear about it is stomach churning. However, the problems with veteran's services run much much deeper than what can be blamed on UHC. In fact part of the problem is the fact that aren't really universally covered.
The biggest problem is the lack of investment in the program. It is quite sad to say that our country is much more interested in blowing the shit out of things than making sure those that do that dirty work are taken care of.

Fuck if you think the medical care/physical well being is bad I would highly suggest putting your fingers in your ears and jamming your head in the ground if anyone starts to talk about psychological health. The Veteran's affair service completely turns their back on these people. One of my first calls as an EMT when I was in undergrad was to pick up a recently discharged Iraq War Vet. He was denied 4 times to be psychologically evaluated, so he did what any person would do and started to self medicate with whiskey. It was truly a sad sad case. I chuckle every time I see a "Support our Troops" ribbon.

The problem with Veteran's affairs is veteran's affairs. Maybe if we really supported our troops like we pretend we do, we'd stop producing million dollar fighters that just sit around and start pumping money into taking care of them.

With that rant done, I'm interested as to what state your children are covered in? For the most part CHIP/SCHIP/etc. programs are usually praised as fairly decent coverage. There are bad examples but for the most part I understand it is much better than Medicare.

Finally this all goes back to what I originally said. American's are too stubborn and politicians are too corrupt to give ourselves a great Health Care system. We won't fix it. We will eventually get a Psuedo-Socialized system, which will suck and we will ride that until it starts to be as shitty as it is now.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006

So do you intentionally try to be dense or just born that way?

Fairly means the same thing it has meant when Obama has been setting up cost cutting measured with insurance companies.

It means that if you go to the hospital 2 Tylenol won't cost 28 dollars. Cutting costs and reducing waste.

Medical Industry does not equal the doctor's paycheck. But have fun patting yourself on the back because you can't fathom how much better our nation could be.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Considering I will be $280,000 in debt because of Medical School alone this isn't going to work. First there needs to be a drastic overhaul of medical Malpractice Disputes and Insurance. Second, they need to significantly decrease the cost of medical school. And third they need to work on adequately compensating doctors.

Based on amount of schooling and general intelligence doctors are some of the lowest paid. If we really wanted to make money, I'd go be a lawyer or an Exec of some company. Fuck, I'd even go be an engineer. Medicine does not pay outstandingly. The time of doctors being overpayed rich pillars of the community has long since passed.

People need to stop thinking that. It is insulting.

EDIT: And I was payed $11/hour in undergrad to work as a TA with little accountability and barely any responsibility. If you honestly think you are going to get someone to work 60+ hours a week while taking countless individuals lives in their hands all for the wage of a greeter at walmart you are sadly mistaken.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006

Considering I will be $280,000 in debt because of Medical School alone this isn't going to work. First there needs to be a drastic overhaul of medical Malpractice Disputes and Insurance. Second, they need to significantly decrease the cost of medical school. And third they need to work on adequately compensating doctors.

Based on amount of schooling and general intelligence doctors are some of the lowest paid. If we really wanted to make money, I'd go be a lawyer or an Exec of some company. Fuck, I'd even go be an engineer. Medicine does not pay outstandingly. The time of doctors being overpayed rich pillars of the community has long since passed.

EDIT: And I was payed $11/hour in undergrad to work as a TA with little accountability and barely any responsibility. If you honestly think you are going to get someone to work 60+ hours a week while taking countless individuals lives in their hands all for the wage of a greeter at walmart you are sadly mistaken.

Actually costs are severely overinflated because of the insurance companies. I don't care about doctor salaries they are a drop in the bucket when it comes to overall costs.

But I'm not going to cry for the underpaid doctor's at night. ;)
http://www.allied-physicians.c...physician-salaries.htm

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Actually costs are severely overinflated because of the insurance companies. I don't care about doctor salaries they are a drop in the bucket when it comes to overall costs.

Funny, I personally think 200-400k a year is reasonable for SAVING LIVES. Talk to your average jerk off and they swear it highway robbery. But again, like I said, it isn't the money that brought me into medicine. Just everyone once in a while, I'd appreciate people not bitching about our salaries and just appreciating what we do.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Funny, I personally think 200-400k a year is reasonable for SAVING LIVES. Talk to your average jerk off and they swear it highway robbery. But again, like I said, it isn't the money that brought me into medicine. Just everyone once in a while, I'd appreciate people not bitching about our salaries and just appreciating what we do.