Nvidia ready to counter AMD`s Mantle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
Because OpenGL is hardly used on the PC, and developers rarely consider an additional rendering path with so many to deal with already.

But because SteamOS is just coming to the market, and SteamOS works exclusively with OpenGL, as far as I'm aware, this is news that is just now relevant, even if AMD hadn't mentioned Mantle.

Because Carmack writes all his engines for OpenGL, this is especially important to him.

Will be interesting to see how fast Nvidia can establish a solid OpenGL foundation on future games.

If this is a way to counter Mantle, they will undoubtly spend a lot of cash and resources on it. They are already heavily involved with a lot of developers, so they have connections to make it happen. Plus the 300 people team they announced today will make the ball roll. I just knew Nvidia had something up their sleeves

Last edited:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Good that openGL is picking up steam, no pun intended.

and that's because nothing beats extensions because dx's attempts at uniformity and minimum specs have always missed the mark... perfect uniformity is not possible and dx never seemed to realize that.

as for carmack and opengl... he has always seemed like someone who would like opengl because it is actually rewarding for experienced programmers to program for, it gives the programmers more control (look at the DX11 pipeline, it really sucks), and isn't a load of "me too" bs.

anyway, if there is one thing i hope that opengl doesn't pick up in the future is minimum specs but even if it does they won't be as stressed as microsoft's bullsh**... nv's new gameworks program can be used in place of minimum specs. and radically parallel compute architectures are the future.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Good that openGL is picking up steam, no pun intended.

as for carmack and opengl... he has always seemed like someone who would like opengl because it is actually rewarding for experienced programmers to program for, it gives the programmers more control (look at the DX11 pipeline, it really sucks), and isn't a load of "me too" bs.

nothing beats extensions because dx's attempts at uniformity and minimum specs have always missed the mark... perfect uniformity is not possible and dx never seemed to realize that.

if there is one thing i hope that opengl doesn't pick up in the future is minimum specs but even if it does they won't be as stressed as microsoft's bullsh**... nv's new gameworks program can be used in place of minimum specs. and radically parallel compute architectures are the future.

John Carmack started on OpenGL before DX or DX was any good. He never changed, but has mentioned that if he were to start over, he'd definitely go with DX as he feels it is better than OpenGL. Though with SteamOS, I doubt he'd repeat that today (this was earlier this year or last year when he said he'd choose DX over OpenGL).

The downside of DX isn't the API, it is that it is for Windows Only.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Was curious about Flex:

Nvidia announces FLEX: Unified GPU PhysX

FLEX aims to unify the various physics simulation technologies previously demonstrated by the company into one SDK. These include things like fluid simulation, solid body interaction, soft body interaction, cloth simulation and more.

The result is a single integrated SDK that 'just works', allowing for easy creation of complex physical interactions such as solid objects floating in water and crashing into each other, or water pouring across a cloth. Perhaps the best example, though, is a water balloon. The single SDK can be used to create a bouncing ball of water that can be popped and pierced - producing a spurt of water.

Tony Tamasi, Nvidia SVP for Content and Technology, described how the new technology was particularly exciting because it allowed for the creation of realistic fluid filled bodies that explode or spurt blood when you shoot them - gruesome but impressive

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwa...=Feed:+bit-tech/news+(bit-tech.net+News+Feed)

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
Who cares about Carmack anymore? He's the Michael Jordan of game developers. Looks like he's in the Washington phase right now.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Who cares about Carmack anymore? He's the Michael Jordan of game developers. Looks like he's in the Washington phase right now.

Good one.

I have a pallet of extra plush seating pillows on order from Amazon for all in need of one for the upcoming 290X launch and Mantle API launch in Battlefield 4. In the interest of better spine health.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
carmack isnt even working on games anymore, its all occulus rift and armadillo rockets(though he's stopped funding this now). its unlikely he knows what performance dice has gotten with mantle. most likely he is saying that there are some extensions that can help with drawcall overhead in the same way that mantle will, but he isnt saying it is equivalent in performance.

nv dev page on nv OGL extensions [Hasnt been updated since 2008]
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-opengl-specs
NVIDIA OpenGL Extensions Specifications Contents
Rendering Extensions

* ARB_color_buffer_float
* ARB_depth_texture
* ARB_draw_buffers
* ARB_fragment program
* ARB_fragment program_shadow
* ARB_half_float_pixel
* ARB_multisample
* ARB_occlusion_query
* ARB_pixel_buffer_object
* ARB_point_parameters
* ARB_point_parameters
* ARB_shadow
* ARB_texture_border_clamp
* ARB_texture_compression
* ARB_texture_compression_bptc
* ARB_texture_cube_map
* ARB_texture_env_add
* ARB_texture_env_combine
* ARB_texture_env_dot3
* ARB_texture_float
* ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
* ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
* ARB_texture_rectangle
* ARB_transpose_matrix
* ARB_vertex buffer_object
* ARB_vertex program
* ARB_window_pos

* ATI_draw_buffers
* ATI_texture_float
* ATI_texture_mirror_once

* EXT_abgr
* EXT_bindable_uniform
* EXT_bgra
* EXT_blend_color
* EXT_blend_equation_separate
* EXT_blend_func_separate
* EXT_blend_minmax
* EXT_blend_subtract
* EXT_draw_buffers2
* EXT_draw_instanced
* EXT_clip_volume_hint
* EXT_compiled_vertex_array
* EXT_depth_bounds_test
* EXT_draw_range_elements
* EXT_fog_coord
* EXT_framebuffer_blit
* EXT_framebuffer_multisample
* EXT_framebuffer_object
* EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
* EXT_geometry_shader4
* EXT_gpu_program_parameters
* EXT_gpu_shader4
* EXT_multi_draw_arrays
* EXT_packed_float
* EXT_packed_pixels
* EXT_paletted_texture
* EXT_pixel_buffer_object
* EXT_point_parameters
* EXT_rescale_normal
* EXT_secondary_color
* GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects
* EXT_separate_specular_color
* EXT_shader_image_load_store
* EXT_shadow_funcs
* EXT_shared_texture_palette
* EXT_stencil_clear_tag
* EXT_stencil_wrap
* EXT_stencil_two_side
* EXT_texture_array
* EXT_texture_buffer_object
* EXT_texture_compression_latc
* EXT_texture_compression_rgtc
* EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
* EXT_texture_cube_map
* EXT_texture_edge_clamp
* EXT_texture_env_add
* EXT_texture_env_combine
* EXT_texture_env_dot3
* EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
* EXT_texture_integer
* EXT_texture_lod_bias
* EXT_texture_mirror_clamp
* EXT_texture_object
* EXT_texture_shared_exponent
* EXT_texture_sRGB
* EXT_texture_swizzle
* EXT_texture3D
* EXT_timer_query
* EXT_vertex_array
* EXT_vertex_attrib_64bit
* EXT_vertex_weighting

* HP occlusion test

* IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat
* IBM_rasterpos_clip

* NV_bindless_texture New!
* NV_blend_square
* NV conditional_render
* NV_copy_depth_to_color
* NV_copy_image.txt
* NV_depth_buffer_float
* NV depth clamp
* NV_evaluators
* NV_fence
* NV_fog_distance
* NV_float_buffer
* NV_fragment_program
* NV_fragment_program2
* NV_fragment_program4
* NV_fragment_program_option
* NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage
* NV_half_float
* NV_geometry_program4
* NV_geometry_shader4
* NV_gpu_program4
* NV_gpu_program5
* NV_gpu_shader5
* NV_light_max_exponent
* NV_multisample_filter_hint
* NV occlusion query
* NV_packed_depth_stencil
* NV_parameter_buffer_object
* NV_pixel data range
* NV_point_sprite
* NV_primitive_restart
* NV_register_combiners
* NV_register_combiners2
* NV_shader_atomic_float New!
* NV_shader_buffer_load
* NV_shader_buffer_store
* NV_tessellation_program5
* NV_texgen_emboss
* NV_texgen_reflection
* NV_texture_barrier
* NV_texture_compression_vtc
* NV_texture_env_combine4
* NV_texture_expand_normal
* NV_texture_multisample
* NV_texture_rectangle
* NV_texture_shader
* NV_texture_shader2
* NV texture_shader3
* NV_transform_feedback
* NV_vertex_array_range
* NV_vertex_array_range2
* NV_vertex_attrib_integer_64bit
* NV_vertex_buffer_unified_memory
* NV_vertex_program
* NV vertex program1_1
* NV_vertex_program2
* NV_vertex_program2_option
* NV_vertex_program3
* NV_vertex_program4
* NVX_gpu_memory_info

* SGIS_generate_mipmap
* SGIS_texture_lod
* SGIX_depth_texture
* SGIX_shadow

* SUN_slice_accum

Windows (WGL) Extensions

* WGL_ARB_buffer_region
* WGL_ARB_create_context
* WGL_ARB_extensions_string
* WGL_ARB_pbuffer
* WGL_ARB_pixel_format
* WGL ARB render texture
* WGL ATI pixel_format_float
* WGL_EXT_extensions_string
* WGL_EXT_pbuffer
* WGL_EXT_pixel_format
* WGL_EXT_swap_control
* WGL_EXT_swap_control_tear
* WGL_NV_dx_interop
* WGL_NV_gpu_affinity
* WGL NV render depth texture
* WGL NV render texture rectangle
* WGL_NV_swap_group
* WGL_NV_video_out

X Window System (GLX) Extensions

* GLX_ARB_create_context
* GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
* GLX_NV_swap_group
* GLX_NV_video_out

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
Good one.

I have a pallet of extra plush seating pillows on order from Amazon for all in need of one for the upcoming 290X launch and Mantle API launch in Battlefield 4. In the interest of better spine health.

Shucks Groove...always thinking of others.:wub:
Presumably you ordered those pretty green ones?:p

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
All of this crap spewing from both AMD and Nvidia is nothing but crap until either can prove otherwise AND get industry-wide support.

Until then, I'll just wait until 20nm comes out. The perf/$ can't be any worse than what the halo cards provide right now, right??? right??? :(

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
All of this crap spewing from both AMD and Nvidia is nothing but crap until either can prove otherwise AND get industry-wide support.

Until then, I'll just wait until 20nm comes out. The perf/$ can't be any worse than what the halo cards provide right now, right??? right??? :(

/thread

Firestorm007

Dec 9, 2010
Good show, Nvidia! Can't wait to see what you come up with next. I guess, Mantle is a real threat, irregardless of what some people here would have you believe.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
The real one to watch out for is Microsoft.

Microsoft has been so lackadaisical over the years when it comes to their PC gaming supremacy which they've taken for granted, but now it's finally coming back to bite them in the ass.

But it looks like AMD's Mantle announcement and Valve's Steam OS has thrown some cold water on their sleepy asses..

Microsoft wants to bring console like API to Windows.

We’re also working with our ISV and IHV partners on future efforts, including bringing the lightweight runtime and tooling capabilities of the Xbox One Direct3D implementation to Windows, and identifying the next generation of advanced 3D graphics technologies.

If Microsoft is now committed to bringing a thinner API to Windows while still maintaining IHV compatibility, then Mantle is already dead.

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
That water looks thick, almost like jelly, especially in small quantities like it was mentioned. Reminds me of Borderlands excessive fluid effects. Or am I just looking at it wrong?

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
That water looks thick, almost like jelly, especially in small quantities like it was mentioned. Reminds me of Borderlands excessive fluid effects. Or am I just looking at it wrong?

Like it has too much surface tension, or the spheres they are using to simulate the liquird are too big.