Nvidia ready to counter AMD`s Mantle

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Woot? They have the GTX690 since may 2012.
There was no reason for GK110 based cards at the end of 2012 because they sold enough GK104 cards for >$250.

They have Titan since 8 months. They have the GTX780 for nearly 5 months.

but none of these are faster than 7990. GTX690 is close, but still behind
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Battlefield_4_Beta-test-bf_4_2560.jpg

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
What a luck for the GTX690 that the 7990 came only a year after it to the market...

Back here trolling again already? One week vacation this time, and bringing your account up for staff review.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
What a luck for the GTX690 that the 7990 came only a year after it to the market...
yeah when Nvidia was late with Fermi and still delivered a noisy, hot running power hungry card that barely beat AMD it was okay though. and when Kepler was late it was okay too. you are the worse kind of fan boy and its just sickening to see you post here with your ignorant one sided comments.

Warning issued for personal attack.
-- stahlhart

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
^ I don't get it. I read your post twice, and I can't understand. What was nvidia waiting for the whole time? Wouldn't they want to have the fastest card on the market?

go to Webster.com and look up capitalism and for-profit organization. then re-read for the 3rd time. it might start to make sense.

HisDivineOrder - thanks for that long version breakdown.

Warning issued for personal attack.
-- stahlhart

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
yeah when Nvidia was late with Fermi and still delivered a noisy, hot running power hungry card that barely beat AMD it was okay though. and when Kepler was late it was okay too. you are the worse kind of fan boy and its just sickening to see you post here with your ignorant one sided comments.

Kepler was late? Lol?
Fermi was 15% faster than the 5870 and offered much more features and a much better DX11 architecture. Even Cayman only used 50w less for the same performance - 8 months later.

I still waiting for the counter to Titan. But we know that AMD is not late. It's only nVidia. Like they were with the GTX580 and GTX570. But we can ignore these cards, too. Makes it much more fun to discuss.

"Ignorant one sided comments". Sure. :\

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Sontin, why not lay off the trolling before you get yourself banned again ? AMD's 290X is launching soon and you know you want your posting privileges so you can troll the crap out of the forums then. If you get banned now you'll have to use an alt account like the rest of the trolls do.

Too late.
-- stahlhart

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Kepler was late? Lol?
Fermi was 15% faster than the 5870 and offered much more features and a much better DX11 architecture. Even Cayman only used 50w less for the same performance - 8 months later.

I still waiting for the counter to Titan. But we know that AMD is not late. It's only nVidia. Like they were with the GTX580 and GTX570. But we can ignore these cards, too. Makes it much more fun to discuss.

"Ignorant one sided comments". Sure. :\
again more one sided bull from you. you are a joke on these forums but its almost sad to just watch you make an fool of yourself with your pathological love for Nvidia.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
again more one sided bull from you. you are a joke on these forums but its almost sad to just watch you make an fool of yourself with your pathological love for Nvidia.

His love for NV is eye raising indeed.

https://www.google.com/#q=sontin+nvidia

44,600 google search results across a ton of forums.

Preferring NV or AMD is one thing. That's great, NV is well liked for a reason - great products. But seeing the one sided non objective trolling non stop is just annoying whether it comes from an AMD guy or NV guy. Sheesh. It happens on the CPU sub-forum too with the extreme red-aligned posters (they show up here too ofc). Annoying.

Fortunately, one of the red extremists on the CPU forum has taken a vacation for excessive trolling. I for one won't miss his trolling.

Last edited:

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005

There's enough pathological love for AMD on this forum as well. It's like rollo has appeared on both sides.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011

Lol, you guys derailed nearly every nVidia thread with fud and spam. And everytime sometime is not doing the same you came and complain about " pathological love for Nvidia".

It's not my fault that your "pathological love for [AMD]" makes you blind sided for history. But whatever, i learned that 2 1/2 months is now the same like 5 or 8 months (that it's even longer than nVidia needed with Fermi).

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Lol, you guys derailed nearly every nVidia thread with fud and spam. And everytime sometime is not doing the same you came and complain about " pathological love for Nvidia".

It's not my fault that your "pathological love for [AMD]" makes you blind sided for history. But whatever, i learned that 2 1/2 months is now the same like 5 or 8 months (that it's even longer than nVidia needed with Fermi).
I dont own an AMD card at all nor do I prefer too. I like using Nvidia and will always try and go with them when possible. you on the other hand have some wires loose in your head. you almost piss your pants with excitement anytime you think an opportunity arises to put down AMD and praise Nvidia. Nvidia can do no wrong to you and AMD can do nothing right. again you just make a fool of yourself every day here. now go drink your chocolate milk and fap to some physx demos cause its almost bedtime.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

So, your response to "FUD and spam" in nvidia threads is "FUD and spam" in AMD threads. Way to be the bigger man, there. Toyota also doesn't currently use AMD.

I don't care what side it comes from. It's annoying. I hope both sides take a long break from posting one sided nonsense - the more extreme red guys have gotten a forum vacation in the CPU subforum for trolling, much to my own delight and to others as well. I hope it happens to both sides personally - green , red, whatever, "FUD and spam" as you call it is annoying regardless of the source.

Last edited:

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Thread reopened. The discussion topic, in case anyone forgot, is "Nvidia ready to counter AMD's Mantle". Stick to it.
-- stahlhart

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Yes. I've often stewed about something. Why, after all the years AMD and Nvidia, or AMD and Intel have been designing silicon, has not one of the companies ran away with performance? You'd think that over a period of a few decades, one company would vastly overshadow another, not ALWAYS be ridiculously neck and neck especially when AMD for example has next to no funds. They can STILL offer a Titan competitor, when Nvidia has relatively unlimited funds to utterly wipe the floor with AMD. Same with Intel. AMD does not offer a faster CPU than Intels fastest, BUT is STILL able to keep up a few tiers lower with next to no money for R&D and such. When I say next to no money, I'm talking in relative terms compared to Intel or Nvidia.

Seems quite impossible to me and the only explanation that I can wrap my mind around is that they actually are all working together, despite public appearances.
Something isn't right. Hasn't been for many many many years. Only in the last few have I suspected anything like collusion between these companies.

I'm sick (Not really. Just sick of it) over the whole industry. My views have changed pretty radically over the last few years. Anyone ever get this feeling when they see year after year, gen after gen, that one company does not continually walk away from the other? Does not make sense. Even two turtles racing over a 100 mile distance will cross a given finish line at completely different times. Could be a week apart, could be a month, or a year. Best analogy I can come up with on a half a cup of coffee.

Good morning to all, and have a great day!

Intel pretty much ran away from AMD. Their CPUs have like double the IPC than AMDs while using half or less the power. Of course a lot of that has to do with the process advantage of intel. And that's my next point. AMD and NV are mainly limited by the process and they both use the same. There is only so much performance you can pack in a chip without it using too much power or having a too low yield. It's the limitations of the process that keeps the 2 companies together and on the uArch side AFAIK they have never been closer than now.

What do you except? Some magical new feature that will double performance at the same process node? I mean the performance increase has always come from new process nodes and not some magic invention. For all we now current CPUs and GPUs could have been built 2 decades ago if we would have gotten the todays process nodes.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
AMD's Mantle is being included in Frostbite so we'll probably see it in several games.

I'm more happy that GCN based APUs in desktops & laptops will be getting a nice boost from Mantle games.

We'll also probably see MS ramp up DirectX development. Remember Windows 8.1 is being given away for free.

Honestly I'm just happy to see AMD using a true 512bit buss on their high end card. If only that & their APU systems could be paired with XDR2 ram.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
AMD's Mantle is being included in Frostbite so we'll probably see it in several games.

I'm more happy that GCN based APUs in desktops & laptops will be getting a nice boost from Mantle games.

We'll also probably see MS ramp up DirectX development. Remember Windows 8.1 is being given away for free.

Honestly I'm just happy to see AMD using a true 512bit buss on their high end card. If only that & their APU systems could be paired with XDR2 ram.

I wouldn't wish Rambus on anyone.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
I think anyone that uses any kind of memory on anything (have I completely covered it there?) has to have licensing with Rambus anyway.

Amazing. You actually managed to put a rhetorical question/statement Heisenberg duality into a post (Triple state if you count a rhetorical question as a statement/fake question duality to start with, which people with more than 1 brain cell do). Top of the game trolling.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Amazing. You actually managed to put a rhetorical question/statement Heisenberg duality into a post (Triple state if you count a rhetorical question as a statement/fake question duality to start with, which people with more than 1 brain cell do). Top of the game trolling.

You said you wouldn't wish Rambus on anyone. I said they are already doing business with them. Where's the trolling?

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
I had typed a bit more about all of us knowing whose fault it is that won't happen. But I removed it because I didn't want to derail too much.

Rambus has some really great technology with XDR2 memory. But they're so toxic as a company that no one wants to deal with them. And it's a damn shame because APUs and video cards could really benefit from it.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Im praying for Nvidia and Intel no to respond to Mantle, EVER, that could easily destroy pc gaming.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Im praying for Nvidia and Intel no to respond to Mantle, EVER, that could easily destroy pc gaming.
My thoughts exactly.
I don''t want to have two gaming rigs just to be sure I can play the latest titles.
Last time I remember having to do anything similar I was running a TNT with Voodoo2 SLI in the same pc, and I didn't enjoy it then either. ;)