Nvidia G71 (7900 Ultra) 90nm 750MHz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cooler

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Acanthus
Originally posted by: Cooler
when is this card coming out 2H 06?

If Nvidia follows its normal release schedule, April-May '06.

You would think they would want to milk their 7800 512 a little more I think June would be more reasonable

Drayvn

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004

You would think they would want to milk their 7800 512 a little more I think June would be more reasonable

But then they wouldnt be able to mil the G71 because the G80 is suppsedly to come out in the 3Q...

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

It'll depend on what ATI does with R580.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: 5150Joker
Well it's great that these new cards are coming out at such a rapid pace but where are the good games?!? You can give me a super computer to use but if the games suck, who cares? Right now I find just keeping track of this hardware and discussing it to be much more "fun" than actually utilizing the hardware for gaming...sigh.

The games just keep getting dumber and dumber, more base and simplistic, and that trend isn't likely to change.

The dumber and more docile the population, the better, from the perspective of the people at the top.

Cooler

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2005
Only good thing about this is it should drive down prices of 7800 GTX and 1800XT

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
Well it's great that these new cards are coming out at such a rapid pace but where are the good games?!? You can give me a super computer to use but if the games suck, who cares? Right now I find just keeping track of this hardware and discussing it to be much more "fun" than actually utilizing the hardware for gaming...sigh.

The games just keep getting dumber and dumber, more base and simplistic, and that trend isn't likely to change.

The dumber and more docile the population, the better, from the perspective of the people at the top.

Yeah, becuase Doom 1 was a really complicated game...
BTW look at games like SC, they're not dumb games.

Cooler

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2005
Originally posted by: linkgoron
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo

I still play SC.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I personally think R580 is there to either combat 512mb 7800GTX, or 90nm GTX. What really interests me is G80 vs. R600.

Also I dont think DX10 is necessary to run Vista. You just need Windows Graphics Interface 1.0/2.0 (which both X1800 and 7800 series already have).

Gamer X

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
I intend to build a new rig around June,but this Vista and DX 10 issue is gonna make it a bad time to upgrade.I think the solution is to find an m2 mobo with integrated graphics then and wait with the graphics card until DX 10 gpus are out.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: RussianSensation
I personally think R580 is there to either combat 512mb 7800GTX, or 90nm GTX. What really interests me is G80 vs. R600.

Also I dont think DX10 is necessary to run Vista. You just need Windows Graphics Interface 1.0/2.0 (which both X1800 and 7800 series already have).

So an older dx9 card like the x800's wont run Vista? That's unlikely, maybe without the 3d windoze and crap, but I dont like that stuff anyways. It's ridiculous if Vista will have higher system requirements than modern dx9 games.

christopherzombie

Jan 18, 2005
At least the prices will drop for 7800 series cards. Too bad I already bought another 7800GT :( - and eVGA set-up is only good for 90 days.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Just as I'm about to place an order for two 7800GTs, this news comes out. :p Although with no fixed date and likely poor availability / inflated prices for a while, I'm not really expecting much soon from either this or the R580.

Originally posted by: linkgoron

There are a few gems like that still around, but for the most part I haven't been very impressed with games in the last 18 months or so either.

By the way, the next SC game looks strange. Fisher has turned into a criminal or something. :confused:

So an older dx9 card like the x800's wont run Vista? That's unlikely, maybe without the 3d windoze and crap, but I dont like that stuff anyways. It's ridiculous if Vista will have higher system requirements than modern dx9 games.

It's supposed to retain the classic 98/2000 interface option according to wikipedia. I'll definitely be sticking with that, just like I do on XP.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: CP5670

It's supposed to retain the classic 98/2000 interface option according to wikipedia. I'll definitely be sticking with that, just like I do on XP.

Almost any card should be able to run Vista using the regular 2D desktop interface. It's the fancy new 'Aero Glass' UI that's supposed to require DX10. But this stuff is not set in stone yet.

I strongly suspect that MS will not support cards that can't hack DX10 largely in hardware for the new UI. But dropping support for older 3D games/applications would be too big a break.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
I feel depressed that they're going straight to SM4....

Oh well, i still defend my choice of getting a SM3 card...

But....750mhz............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats insane

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: crazydingo
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Common Sense? Then perhaps "IMHO" should have been tacked onto your statement because it would seem you came to your own conclusion. But you really don't need to now as that is understood.
Well since common sense is not applicable to all, I should have tacked an IMHO in there just in case. :D

I listened to the conference call and there wasnt any mention of G80 or SM4. That remains a fact.

Ok. It is a fact that the conference call contained no mention of G80 or SM4. As per Dingo.
And the little article mentions the G80 and SM4. As we all can see. It is possible that the conference call didn't mention it and the articles author heard it outside of that conference call. But Dingo calls BS that it was just tacked on as if the articles words were just supposed to include "conference only" data. Well, he can't know that nor can anyone else unless the author in contacted and asked. Which, I believe should be up to Dingo to decide if he wants to take it that far.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
With this card on the horizon, R580 better be somethin really special. ATI can no longer tout the X1800XT's high clock speeds with a 750Mhz NVidia looming overhead. I wanna see more pipes ATI >:O And some free AA -_-v

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
It almost looks as though ATI/nVidia are back on their 6-month product cycle. This is very good news for us video card buyers. :)

crazydingo

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
Ok. It is a fact that the conference call contained no mention of G80 or SM4. As per Dingo.
Instead of twisting words for the umpteenth time, why dont you hear the conference call yourself and calm down?

And the little article mentions the G80 and SM4. As we all can see. It is possible that the conference call didn't mention it and the articles author heard it outside of that conference call. But Dingo calls BS that it was just tacked on as if the articles words were just supposed to include "conference only" data. Well, he can't know that nor can anyone else unless the author in contacted and asked. Which, I believe should be up to Dingo to decide if he wants to take it that far.
I doubt hkepc (the origin) of this story has got the story straight (language barrier) considering in the past they relied on vrzone for translating one of their articles.

IMO I would much rather believe an Nvidia evangelist like Uttar from b3d. :cool:

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Common Sense? Then perhaps "IMHO" should have been tacked onto your statement because it would seem you came to your own conclusion. But you really don't need to now as that is understood.
Well since common sense is not applicable to all, I should have tacked an IMHO in there just in case. :D

I listened to the conference call and there wasnt any mention of G80 or SM4. That remains a fact.

Thanks for the play by play. Are you in radio by chance?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Instead of twisting words for the umpteenth time, why dont you hear the conference call yourself and calm down?

Umm, twist? What on earth are you talking about? You said the conference did not mention the G80 or SM4 at all. Why should I listen to it if you already said they didn't mention it? Should I be doubting you for some reason? Or can I take your word for it.?

Here is your quote: "I listened to the conference call and there wasnt any mention of G80 or SM4. That remains a fact."

So, what did I twist? That's correct, nothing. And calm down? I think you should check yourself my friend cause I'm as cool as a cucumber. Calm as can be. I'm just talking here.

I doubt hkepc (the origin) of this story has got the story straight (language barrier) considering in the past they relied on vrzone for translating one of their articles.

You doubt, which means you have a suspiscion, but you just don't know for sure.

IMO I would much rather believe an Nvidia evangelist like Uttar from b3d. :cool:

Don't know who the guys is.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: dnuggett

Thanks for the play by play. Are you in radio by chance?

I did at one point want to be a DJ, many years ago, but no, not in radio.
And you are very welcome.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: SickBeast
It almost looks as though ATI/nVidia are back on their 6-month product cycle. This is very good news for us video card buyers. :)

Not good for us poorer people...

Nov 5, 2005
Originally posted by: potato28
Originally posted by: SickBeast

Not good for us poorer people...

Looks like my 6600GT is here to stay for at least another 1.5-2 years...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
maybe we'll get lucky and nVidia will make a press release about it, or hell, even have a working demo of the G71 at CES in January. hopefully
I just got my 7800gt, meaning I have till the end of February for my Step-Up through eVGA. It would be awesome for this supposed 7900 Ultra to be out by then, as I don't want to be tied down to the 7800gtx 512 as my step-up card if a new card is coming out so soon afterwards.