Nvidia G71 (7900 Ultra) 90nm 750MHz

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: hans030390
I feel depressed that they're going straight to SM4....

Oh well, i still defend my choice of getting a SM3 card...

But....750mhz............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats insane

Hahahhahahaa :laugh:

Sorry, but i have to say i find this so incredibly funny, especially after reading your countless SM 3.0 posts :roll:

That being said, i have this to say about this 7900 Ultra: :Q:D

But the thing that i don't want to see is teh price.

This one is guaranteed to be $1000 Cdn. at the pace high end video card continue to increase in price :|

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: hans030390
I feel depressed that they're going straight to SM4....

Oh well, i still defend my choice of getting a SM3 card...

But....750mhz............ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats insane

Some games take up to 3 years to make. So you can expect SM3.0 games to continue to come out for at least 3 years after a SM4.0 part is available.

One of the good things about the 6xxx series having SM3.0 support 2 years ago is that game developers had a platform to work on. Until there is a SM4.0 part available game developers will continue to program for SM3.0.

It will be at least 2 years (if not more) before we see SM4.0 games.

Besides it's not like you wasted your money on a SM2.0 X850XT, now that would be depressing :p

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
I'm ordering up parts for a new rig within the next week, so I'll hold off on getting anything more than a single 7800GT for the time being.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
So if the G80 is supposedly slated for Mid 2006, (June/July) that does not leave a lot of time for the G71 to be on the market. So is G71 just a refresh/die shrink, and the G80 a next gen? I can't even think about how expensive these things will be. Highe end is insane beyond belief as it is right now. At least for my wallet.

andrewsdw

Feb 27, 2005
My 9800pro-->XT run's Aero glass (beta) fine.

Quick side note: I just pieced a new computer for my friend consisting of a AMD Athlon X2 4400+ 2X1mb toledo with an ATI X1800XL and the full works. Well in the ATI driver setup in the overdrive section I used to test max overclock through driver. It spans from the default clock of 500mhz to 575mhz and the memory goes from 495mhz to 550mhz. Well the card maxed out and did not heat up at all. It stays 87C to 89C regardless. Is there a way to OC more? BTW this is on a stock HSF!! I have it setup to only OC during 3d apps. Beautiful card.

crazydingo

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: crazydingo
Ok. It is a fact that the conference call contained no mention of G80 or SM4. As per Dingo.
Instead of twisting words for the umpteenth time, why dont you hear the conference call yourself and calm down?

Umm, twist? What on earth are you talking about? You said the conference did not mention the G80 or SM4 at all. Why should I listen to it if you already said they didn't mention it? Should I be doubting you for some reason? Or can I take your word for it.?

Here is your quote: "I listened to the conference call and there wasnt any mention of G80 or SM4. That remains a fact."

So, what did I twist? That's correct, nothing. And calm down? I think you should check yourself my friend cause I'm as cool as a cucumber. Calm as can be. I'm just talking here.
Let me emphasize it again:

"Ok. It is a fact that the conference call contained no mention of G80 or SM4. As per Dingo. "

Its not a fact as per me, you are welcome to verify it yourself. No need of taunting me. ;) Besides you are the one losing cool here not me which is obvious to others also.

You doubt, which means you have a suspiscion, but you just don't know for sure.[/b]
My doubt is atleast based on a point. What is your point that I should believe it? :D

<fixed quotes>

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Ok. It is a fact that the conference call contained no mention of G80 or SM4. As per Dingo.
Instead of twisting words for the umpteenth time, why dont you hear the conference call yourself and calm down?

Umm, twist? What on earth are you talking about? You said the conference did not mention the G80 or SM4 at all. Why should I listen to it if you already said they didn't mention it? Should I be doubting you for some reason? Or can I take your word for it.?

Here is your quote: "I listened to the conference call and there wasnt any mention of G80 or SM4. That remains a fact."

So, what did I twist? That's correct, nothing. And calm down? I think you should check yourself my friend cause I'm as cool as a cucumber. Calm as can be. I'm just talking here.

"Ok. It is a fact that the conference call contained no mention of G80 or SM4. As per Dingo. "

Its not a fact as per me, you are welcome to verify it yourself. No need of taunting me. ;) Besides you are the one losing cool here not me which is obvious to others also.

You doubt, which means you have a suspiscion, but you just don't know for sure.[/b]
My doubt is atleast based on a point. What is your point that I should believe it? :D

<fixed quotes>

Dingo and keys, what are you guys trying to prove to each other? it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

edit- lets keep focused on the threads topic please.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Keys,

You forget that Dingo didn't beleive in the 7800 GTX 512MB (a NV spec GTX with 512MB clocked at 490/1500 actually) either, and argued that point practically to the death.

quote:

I'm not the one with the "wishful thinking" here: 490/1500 clocks ...

Its waste arguing with you since you are intent on taking the attacking approach. Besides arguing over unannounced, unreleased products is a waste. (speculations) :laugh:

and links:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=31&threadid=1713465&enterthread=y

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=31&threadid=1721590&enterthread=y

Dingo's predictions about NV's abilities have obvioulsy been wrong in the past, and I don't see any basis for the current position other then the fact that the G80 apparently wasn't mentioned on the call and some "common sense" cooked up in the mind the Dingo. So, I would take what Dingo says on these matters with a grain of salt and don't let it get to you so much.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
So if the G80 is supposedly slated for Mid 2006, (June/July) that does not leave a lot of time for the G71 to be on the market. So is G71 just a refresh/die shrink, and the G80 a next gen? I can't even think about how expensive these things will be. Highe end is insane beyond belief as it is right now. At least for my wallet.

we also need some software to prove the investment is worth it.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Personally I'm sick of this "let's throw hardware out every 3 months"

The PPC market has supposedly been down for a bit, and that will make it 10x worse. Stick to the yearly updates, cripe.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: nitromullet
Keys,

You forget that Dingo didn't beleive in the 7800 GTX 512MB (a NV spec GTX with 512MB clocked at 490/1500 actually) either, and argued that point practically to the death.

quote:

Its waste arguing with you since you are intent on taking the attacking approach. Besides arguing over unannounced, unreleased products is a waste. (speculations) :laugh:

and links:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=31&threadid=1713465&enterthread=y

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=31&threadid=1721590&enterthread=y

Dingo's predictions about NV's abilities have obvioulsy been wrong in the past, and I don't see any basis for the current position other then the fact that the G80 apparently wasn't mentioned on the call and some "common sense" cooked up in the mind the Dingo. So, I would take what Dingo says on these matters with a grain of salt and don't let it get to you so much.

Sadly, QFT

The Dingo just likes to argue, whether he has any facts or not. :(

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster

<fixed quotes>

Dingo and keys, what are you guys trying to prove to each other? it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Cookie Monster - I just want Dingo to know that his speculation holds no advantage/disadvantage over anyone else's. One almost cannot stay on topic when Dingo arrives. It always morphs (no pun intended) into something of a flamewar. I will ignore him and stay On Topic. Apologies.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Keys,

quote:

and links:

Done!! ;)

crazydingo

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster

It looks like keys priority is to follow me around and attack every post of mine. Just look at the first page of this thread and you get the idea ..

Keys,

quote:

and links:

+1 nitromullet for taking things out-of-context. It looks like you are the best when it comes to it. ;)

Read my reasoning in that thread to get an idea why it is out-of-context. (Should I also quote you saying Nvidia will hit 550 and still have a single-slot design? :D )

And FYI nitro, I'm not even contesting the 750MHz figure in this newstory at all (if you bothered to read). I called BS on the G80 part because it looks like the I am the only person here that actually bothered to listen the conference call. :)

Originally posted by: Rollo
Sadly, QFT
The Dingo just likes to argue, whether he has any facts or not. :(
Speak about yourself, no need to gang-up on me again. :)

Cookie Monster - I just want Dingo to know that his speculation holds no advantage/disadvantage over anyone else's. One almost cannot stay on topic when Dingo arrives. It always morphs (no pun intended) into something of a flamewar. I will ignore him and stay On Topic. Apologies.
In other words: you realise you were bothering me for the wrong reasons and will now cut it. Thanks. :) As for the no pun intended comment, it gave me a laugh. :beer:

crazydingo

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
Looks like the 750MHz was also "questionable", Dave had to say this:

IIRC (and I have the transcript) no definitive parts or clockspeeds were mentioned at all - all that was mentioned was that G7x refreshes would be in the next 60 days and another part "beginning their next generation" would be in H1 '06. The G71 / 750MHz quote originates from HKEPC and I wasn't exactly clear on what the quote was. Their was also a third story from Digitimes that points to G72 and G73 as coming early next year. Right now people are taking these three reports and shaking them all up.

:D :laugh:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
According to TSMC:

"The advantage of low-k dielectrics is significant for certain designs. Agere Systems, which recently announced that it is using TSMC?s low-k based 0.13-um process for its DSP16411 digital signal processor (DSP) chips, now in volume production, has reported a performance improvement of 20 percent and a power savings of another 20 percent compared to competitor chips without the low-K technology."

Linkage

20% increase in performance and 20% power savings.
ATI utilized low-k first and I think it was with the 9600's who's clocks speeds ramped up quite high as a result. Good call by ATI.

If you noticed, the X800XL was produced on the 110nm process BUT without low-K (as opposed to the rest of the x800series cards) hence its lower clocks and less than stellar o/c ability with some exceptions here and there as per our own forum members here.

Nvidia AFAIK, has never utilized low-k in their GPU's, so the G71 "may" be the first. 750MHz should be a cinch. Nv is getting 550+ at 110nm and 24 pipes on a normal process (non-low-k). Now shrink that to 90nm PLUS implementing low-k dielectric process, and we should have a Winnah!.

But, we shall see. Anything can happen.

Just for kicks: and not in any way scientifically proven :D

6800U - 130nm - non low-k - 400MHz (reference)
7800GTX - 110nm - non low-k 430MHz (reference)
7800512 - 110nm - non low-k 550MHz (reference and after refinement) very impressed.

So Nvidia/TSMC went from 400MHz 130nm 16 pipes to 550@110nm 24pipes. 150MHz increase.

G71 a.k.a 7900Ultra - 24 pipes - low-k and matured TSMC 90nm process. I don't think 150 to 200MHz increase is such a far cry.

Considering that 7800GTX512 owners seem to be getting around 580MHz with the stock coolers. I think its a shoe in. But, that's just me. :)

Take it as you will.

I'm more interested in what the architecture can do rather than how fast the core runs.
I speaketh of G80 of course. :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

yes, G80 is next gen. G70 is the same gen as the NV40 (6800) if you want to be specific about it. G71 is a die shrink of the current gen's refresh.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
That is interesting the G80 is coming out in H1 of 06 if Dave is right. I was expecting next Fall at the earliest.

Marcdaddy

Nov 12, 2005
Im currently running 2 7800GTX 512 meg cards in SLI and they are both set at 610/1.76 on stock air no vlot mods, Idle temps are 44C full load can get up to 69C/71C so i dont see a major problem with Nvidia incresing the speed all too much. What i do find funny is the need for all these new cards every 4 to 6 months, i dont mind it but there has to be some great software to sell these cards.

us3rnotfound

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Genx87
That is interesting the G80 is coming out in H1 of 06 if Dave is right. I was expecting next Fall at the earliest.

No, we still need ATi to do ok so that there will be competition therefore low nvidia prices, newblett

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Marcdaddy
Im currently running 2 7800GTX 512 meg cards in SLI and they are both set at 610/1.76 on stock air no vlot mods, Idle temps are 44C full load can get up to 69C/71C so i dont see a major problem with Nvidia incresing the speed all too much. What i do find funny is the need for all these new cards every 4 to 6 months, i dont mind it but there has to be some great software to sell these cards.

Agreed.
Games today don't have the "marvel at" appeal as yesterdays games did. They need to worry more about gameplay than pushing more and more pixels. I think we have reached quite enough pixel pushing power, and NOW want better games. When Unreal first came around, I was like "Holy!!" and UT continued the trend. But today, it's all show no go. Boring gameplay, monotonous (which we didn't mind so much before because of the coolness factor), so it's like "Been there, done that". It feels like we are playing the same games over and over again.

EDIT: I must say however that the A.I. in today's games is getting pretty damn good.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
What i know so far is that this G71 is the PS3 RSX.

Secondly, the more we know about the RSX, the more we know about the G71. However, right now, we dont know if this is a 24 pipe or a 32 pipe product.

It highly unlikely that the G71 is 32pipe at 750 mhz. But it could be a possiblitly.
Wonder what else they will tweak apart from speed. I jsut hope something is done to there Af etc.