Nvidia Fermi versus radeon 5800 benchmarks out!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
It is equal at 2560 x 1600 with 8xaa. If you can afford that big of a monitor, pretty sure 5970 is in your budget.

Also, as I said before, 1 GHZ stock clocks with vastly improved cooling is coming out. You could get to 1100 easy on those. That is a 30% clock increase (850 -> 1100, I am just estimating) and the 5870 is clock starved.

Besides, as I said, the 480 will barely oc at all. And the 470 will be easily beaten by oc'ed 5850's which can oc to 5870 levels and have 98% of the performance (check around the forums for an old thread with lots on this matter).

I didn't see any 1900x1080 or 1650x1050 benchies?

So because you said the gtx4xx won't overclock it won't? Come on now?:rolleyes:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I still can't find that official link to the power specs of the gtx 480?
Is everyone still guessing? or is the 280watt Charlie guess official?

Good stuff about the "center to the edge wafer" thing,but that goes for all cards doesn't it?

Indeed - but the smaller the chip the more working chips you get.

The more working chips the more you can cherry pick them.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
HAHAHAHA now that was funny...

If AMD was smart they would lower the prices the day nv launches theirs...

They are trying to make money here not necessarily harm their competitor.
Sometimes those goals coincide, but here I think dropping prices would just hurt their profit margin since there won't be enough cards to hurt sales either way.

NV on the other hand seems to be in a position where if they were smart they'd underprice Fermi just to hurt ATI's sales for a while as consumers wait for the $350 480 to actually be in stock instead of buying a 5870. It's a loss anyways unless they price and sell the cards at ridiculous amounts. That strategy may however bite them in the ass later when they do have constant supply since like with the 58xx series, consumers dislike buying things for above the MSRP.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
In the past 5 months how much more has Amd gotten out of there drivers? 10/15%?
I noticed this article use the famed 10.3 catalyst.
I don't pay attention to that stuff when I download drivers.

I assume you are referencing your early adopter driver glitches and are saying wait 3months than buy the fermi. By that time it will 15% faster than 15%faster, so it gets up to the 20% promised. Also nvidia if they haven't overheated themselves will have gotten rid of most of the expected driver glitches. Should be cheaper too.

good advice!

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
It's funny a ton of people here seem to be OK with GTX series being priced in the $399+ range (even if has similar performance to 5870) and $500-599+ for GTX480?

How quickly did they forget that 4870 launched at $299 and offered 80% of the performance of the GTX280 which at the time cost $649: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341
How did that turn out? NV had to lower prices to $400-$450.

Given the leaked benches (assuming they are true) GTX470 to 5870 is what GTX260 216 to 4870 was during the last generation. Last time, those with $ to blow decided to choose GTX285 which was a $150+ more expensive = GTX480. Of course in that case it was a lot better to just pick up the 4870 X2 then. GTX285 was the oddball card that cost way too much for the extra 20% performance. The only problem is 5970 is MIA.

If GTX470 is slower than 5870, it has no business being priced at $399. If GTX470 is as fast as 5870 for $399, it is still disappointing since we had this performance 6 months ago. If NV was competitive, maybe we would have seen 5870 for $349 or even $299 by now. This is the most unfortunate part.

I partially agree with you but if you look at nvidia's pricing strategy from a marketing standpoint, they can price "competitively" due to similar performance to the 5850/5870s and also since they have additional features such as PhysX, better tessellation support. Having these things on their box alone will push buyers to buy them, especially if they sell at your local Best Buy or Future shop.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I partially agree with you but if you look at nvidia's pricing strategy from a marketing standpoint, they can price "competitively" due to similar performance to the 5850/5870s and also since they have additional features such as PhysX, better tessellation support. Having these things on their box alone will push buyers to buy them, especially if they sell at your local Best Buy or Future shop.

Well only if people care about those things. Physx isn't anything special right now and we don't know how good their tessellation is yet when other things are going on other then only tessellation.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
These benchmarks don't really matter, since Nvidia won't have more than 8000 Fermi cards available worldwide when it launches (and I'm guessing a good portion will go to the HPC market). With so few parts available for consumer purchase, it's essentially a paper launch. The rarity alone of Fermi will keep prices high enough for most people to think twice.

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
These benchmarks don't really matter, since Nvidia won't have more than 8000 Fermi cards available worldwide when it launches (and I'm guessing a good portion will go to the HPC market). With so few parts available for consumer purchase, it's essentially a paper launch. The rarity alone of Fermi will keep prices high enough for most people to think twice.

I have read this figure repeatedly and I do not doubt the possibility that it is true, but we really don't know what availability will be like.

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
Well only if people care about those things. Physx isn't anything special right now and we don't know how good their tessellation is yet when other things are going on other then only tessellation.

True, I guess we need to find out if 3dMark releases a newer benchmark tool that gauges those elements. I'm sure that will change at least the bench-marker's opinions.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
True, I guess we need to find out if 3dMark releases a newer benchmark tool that gauges those elements. I'm sure that will change at least the bench-marker's opinions.

Well I think when we get some benchies from real review sites like Anandtech and many others, we'll see how good it stacks up. I really wish there'd be some REAL reviews already but doesn't seem to be any until launch which really sucks.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

That is assuming ATI simply wont drop the price on their cards.

Both NVIDIA and ATI produce at the same place and RV870 is a bit smaller than GF100, meaning cheaper. That is ignoring any considerations about yields (and ATI yields will always be higher since it is a smaller chip).

Another thing is "better tessellation support". You say that because? I've seen a bench, and a synthetic one at that, where the 470 has a slight fps advantage in one configuration and a slight fps disadvantage in another.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
Specs are completely irrelevant. By that logic, AMD could price their cards higher because they have more stream processors. The only thing that matters is price and performance. How many bits, bytes, processors, bandwidth, fillrate etc.. is not important.

Memory isn't there for decoration. It serves a purpose. AMD has equivalent shader performance to Nvidia'a offerings and offers no advantage. All things equal, and even at a small price premium, I would rather have more vram so I can game in higher resolutions and with higher AA levels and also be able to use hi-res texture mods without stuttering. 1GB of vram isn't so much nowadays. I routinely fill all 896mb of mine.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
It'd actually be a bit funny if the GTX480 launches at $600 then AMD *raises* prices of the 58x0 to make it price competitive with Fermi (assuming Fermi isn't much faster).

Seriously, if these performance numbers and rumored Fermi priceing are true then I wouldn't expect AMD to lower prices anytime soon.

Oh god man, don't jinx it. That wouldn't be funny at all! Well, yeah, I guess it would, but it'd suck. Let's hope the new cards are price competitive...*dreams of 5850 hitting $200 at some point*..lol

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
So the GPU pecking order (strictly performance) would seem to be:

GTX480
GTX470

That's pretty much in line with what we've been hearing lately. Now all we need is the most important piece of information, price.

It's almost the same as the previous generation, except for the lack of a dual GPU solution from nVidia and the fact that the ATi's top single GPU can outperform the slowest GTX GPU, something that didn't happen before when the GTX 260 216 was pited against the fastest ATi single GPU at that time, the HD 4870, and both tied. It was just a matter of time that with driver improvements, the HD 4870 would be the better option, will that happen again with the HD 5870, who knows.

I dont know which benchmarks you're seeing but every early benches show, 5870 clearly dominating 470 in every resolution.

Now the question is, how fast is 480 compared to 470? History has shown that ATI cards have been deadly fast in certain games like HAWK, Dawn of War II, etc.

Like in Arma 2 and GRID.

Read carefully , I said "last I looked".

Sorry I didn't see the one "His" card on Newwgg thats under 400$. For the past few weeks when I looked they been between 415$ and 479$ shipped. Give me a break.

What is "spin"?

The prices had been like that since late january, so probably those past few weeks you meant for the past few months.

The hitler video was funny.

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
Oh god man, don't jinx it. That wouldn't be funny at all! Well, yeah, I guess it would, but it'd suck. Let's hope the new cards are price competitive...*dreams of 5850 hitting $200 at some point*..lol

That may not happen any time in the next 6 months. When the next price point change occurs, it will be the 5830 dropping to the $200 mark (possibly in 3-6 months) and the 5850 dropping to the $250 mark. But Ati has a lot of cards out right now and we'll have to see how the pricing stacks up. Nvidia only has two new-gen cards atm, so I expect them to price them high, but this will be very interesting this time around because Ati clearly dominates, and Nvidia may for the first time have to lower their prices. I'd be surprised to see the GTX480 priced at $600 and the GTX470 priced at $500.

But supply will be an issue and thus estimating pricing is very difficult, a lot is being assumed.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007

It would be incredible if they do raise prices... Could you imagine buying, for instance, the 5850 for $250 at launch, and 8 or 9 months later, it's retailing for $350... wow.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
You mean 5870s ?

No, I've seen 5850s selling for $350, especially those that are most attractive to enthusiasts. I spent 4 days looking for an Asus for <$300, and I looked everywhere. The average prices I saw were between $330-$360 for those that were "in stock". Personally, I love the hunt, so I'll spend quite some time trying to find what I want for the price I'm willing to pay, it's part of the fun.

By blind luck I happened to stumble onto some for $294 at Amazon, they'd just received 10 at one of their warehouses. And when I say they'd just gotten in, I mean they weren't there one minute and they popped up the next. By the time I had completed the order, in the span of 3-4 minutes, they were all gone.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
No, I've seen 5850s selling for $350, especially those that are most attractive to enthusiasts. I spent 4 days looking for an Asus for <$300, and I looked everywhere. The average prices I saw were between $330-$360 for those that were "in stock". Personally, I love the hunt, so I'll spend quite some time trying to find what I want for the price I'm willing to pay, it's part of the fun.

By blind luck I happened to stumble onto some for $294 at Amazon, they'd just received 10 at one of their warehouses. And when I say they'd just gotten in, I mean they weren't there one minute and they popped up the next. By the time I had completed the order, in the span of 3-4 minutes, they were all gone.

I didn't have any trouble getting my 5870 for $360.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
I didn't want a 5870, I wanted an Asus 5850 for <$300. I found a lot of 5870s from different makers for good prices, but those didn't interest me.