nVidia : Annoucement Monday morning, 9am PST

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
It may not even be that. Looking at the page, it sounds like it might be a rehash of what they did at CES.

Well it does only say unveiled, not launched.
26th unveiled, 29th reviews, 1st April (hahahahahahaha) "launched".
1st April comes round: APRIL FOOLS. Fermi will be out next week.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
The key phrase that interests me on the page is this: If you’re even vaguely a fan of PC games and miss this special event, you’ll likely be spending the next few months kicking yourself."

I'm reading that as meaning they'll be announcing something at PAX, but we won't be able to actually buy it for several months afterward. If they were gonna hard launch something, people would be able to buy it immediately and it's no big deal to miss the PAX show. Very lame.

Thank goodness my SLIed 8800GTs are humming along nicely and running everything I'm playing quite well. I've got a huge backlog of console games I can chew on for a couple of years while Big Green gets their act together.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
/facepalm

I was going to wait until today to give Nvidia a chance to tell me why I should buy Fermi but suffice it to say, after work, I'm going to grab me a shiny 5870.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
/facepalm

I was going to wait until today to give Nvidia a chance to tell me why I should buy Fermi but suffice it to say, after work, I'm going to grab me a shiny 5870.

If I were in the market to get a card today, I would say the same thing.

There isn't any reason to wait for Fermi.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I'll be honest. I'm flabbergasted. I thought we would at least have a nugget or two of information. I think nVidia would have been better off on Friday just saying they would be making announcements at PAX.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
PAX 2010 featuring... the NVidia dancers!

*6 dancers each wearing the letters N V I D I A on their green shirts come to the front stage and start gyrating to the song "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"*

*Song fades out in the middle and the announcer comes to stage*

"Are you ready!?! Are you ready for THIS?!?"

*Crowd goes wild with anticipation*

Curtains are drawn and a 10 minute slideshow ensues showing how Fermi is 2x faster than HD5870 in non-existent games. Crowd scratches head looking for the actual card or any explanation on how they benched.

*Announcer back to stage*

"We are taking pre-orders at $500 a pop, only the first 10,000 pre-orders will be accepted. Now, who's WITH ME!?!"

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
Some pics I saw at other forums, hope you like them....

[H]
nvidia2.jpg

XS
ferminow.jpg

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Reminds me of the Fermi NDA lift. All thought we would get some scores or anything substantial... and all we got was a cut and paste of the information that was already available on numerous sites... Total failure.

And this is some sick joke... An announcement of an announcement? I laugh when other ATF members suggest something like that (cause it's funny), but seeing it actually done by nVidia is just sad (read: pathetic). Why did they even mention that? They could just release a statement, but no... Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if on PAX we will hear that they will announce pricing and performance numbers "in the coming weeks" and the PAX launch will be just to show the cards are working and will be ready to ship "soon"...

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
You gotta admit. NV's PR team is doing a fantastic job of keeping the buzz alive considering they've had nothing but their dicks in their hands for two quarters. I mean, we're talking bit boyz level vapor is all they had to work with since September, yet they're still keeping a chunk of mindshare.

I don't know what their PR dept makes, but it's not enough. Those guys do some serious badass samurai maneuvers every so often, and they have not disappointed with the fermi fiasco thus far. AMD has certainly improved ati's marketing dept, but I honestly think that nvidia marketing could sell something cobbled together with twigs, glue, rubber bands and duct tape. Wait, you say they tried that last year? They probably get psyched up when a new card is late/sucks/has major issues because it lets them get really REALLY creative.

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
lol! This is wanky, even for NVIDIA. Although, I'm not too surprised.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/paxeast.html I like the, "Are you ready?".

...um, I don't think it's me being ready they need to worry about.

+1.

I already bought my 5870 and shouldn't care what nvidia is going to come out with, but still... for the love of Pete folks, get it together. What about even DX 10.1 300 GTX relaunch of the 200 GTX series. Anything.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Man that is awful. Most likely going the 5970 route now.

drivers are still fubarded for the 5970.

i was gonna go that route, as its the only real upgrade from my HD4870X2's.

But i heard its a safer approach to get 2 hd5870's and bask in the sunlight of whats called eyefinity. :hmm:

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
Thats nothing other than a gigantic piss take.

I don't see myself as a 'fanboi' of any hardware brand, just want a nice competative market so all consumers can benefit... this appears to be about the wrost possible outcome from a consumer point of view :(

Seems i'll be waiting longer than i thought to replace my 4890.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
what is wrong with 5970 drivers? I heard that they the new cats had worked out most of the kinks.

more importantly, is nvidia continuing to optimize gt200 drivers? At the rate we're going, my gtx 260 will still be "high end" at xmas!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
On March 27th Duke Nukem Forever will be released much to the surprise of Gamers the world over. For the next 48 hours Gamers will play it non-stop with such wild enthusiasm that when they reach the grand finale they will reach the worlds first Hypegasm that is so massive that total satisfaction is achieved. They will then Logout, unplug their PCs, and go outside where fuzzy bunnies and rainbows greet them on a bright sunny day. Never again shall they return to their Desks or their PCs.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
You know, unless Charlie's hitting, I simply can't see how nV wouldn't take this opportunity to at least announce some benchmarks. Think of how many people worldwide will make a purchase in the next 30 days. Stupid!!! Arrogant? Wait a little longer for what?? I feel like ordering a couple 5870's just for the hell of it..

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm glad it is Ati surviving the 3D graphics accelerator wars which started back in 95. Rendition, S3, Matrox, 3Dfx, and now nVidia. RIP nVidia.

Last edited: