Nvidia 3D Vision vs ATI Eyefinity

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Forumpanda
I didn't come here to read marketing BS, is there a way to to simply hide certain peoples posts?

Actually I believe there is. Never tried it but go to the "my forums" link on top of the forums. There is an "Add Ignored User" button.

Originally posted by: Keysplayr
Well, I have the 3DVision setup, and I've seen the Eyefinity demonstrations.
Eyefinity is very cool for anything short of gaming IMHO. I've said it before, and many have agreed, that the monitor bezels are a deal breaker for gaming. I honestly don't know how anyone can look at a 3 or 6 monitor checkerbox and say, "Ohhh, I've got to have this!". That coolnes factor will wear off real soon as they become aggravated by the distracting bezels directly in your field of view.

For non gaming apps, it's awesome. Picture a day trader at home office with 24 screens each with a different stock ticker gliding across. That would be broker Nirvana. One of many examples in various professions.

The day that bezeless monitors that can be butted together and barely telling where one monitor ends and the next begins, is the day i'll become very interested in technology such as Eyefinity. Give me a single affordable 130 degree curved monitor at a res of 48xx x 1050 (one monitor), and I'm there.

3DVision makes more sense to me than Eyefinity for gaming. It's pretty cut an dry for me.
So, I think you know where my vote goes.

I don't have a problem with stereoscopic gaming. This is essentially what 3D Vision is. Stereoscopic gaming has been around since at least the early 90's if not the 80's. Doesn't mean that nVidia's implementation doesn't kick rear end as compared to previous attempts.

However, we have Wreckage coming in and pulling the same BS and antics again. Seriously, this gets so old so fast. While there was less drama, it was definitely a better place for intelligent discussion without him around. If he has a legitimate complaint about ATI, fine. I don't care.

Hell, let's have the best of both worlds and have a combined multi-monitor stereoscopic gaming. While it may not be for everyone, a wrap-around 3D experience would kick ass.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Eyefinity is very cool for anything short of gaming IMHO. I've said it before, and many have agreed, that the monitor bezels are a deal breaker for gaming. I honestly don't know how anyone can look at a 3 or 6 monitor checkerbox and say, "Ohhh, I've got to have this!". That coolnes factor will wear off real soon as they become aggravated by the distracting bezels directly in your field of view.

After you play awhile you won't even notice them.

Do the window pillars of your car distract you and make driving unbearable?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: BladeVenom

Nooooot likely dude. And last time I checked, the windshield of my card is frikkin huge compared to a computer monitor. And I tend not to play first person shooters when driving.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: BladeVenom

Nooooot likely dude. And last time I checked, the windshield of my card is frikkin huge compared to a computer monitor. And I tend not to play first person shooters when driving.

I'm gonna have to agree that the LCD bezels can be extremely distracting. This can be somewhat minimized by utilizing three monitors so that the center one, where most of our attention is at, doesn't get cut by the LCD bezel. In certain games it shouldn't matter much and will actually add to the experience.

Should work in a game like a FPS or an MMORPG like WoW since the center is where most of our attention is at but for a game like a driving sim, I don't see this working without some revision.

I think the important thing for Eyefinity (or similar technology) is building a game's interface to utilize it and account for it so you overcome the physical limitations of a LCD bezel. If it's done properly, I'm sure a driving sim could work.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Eyefinity for sure. Both can provide increased immersion, but I can see Eyefinity actually providing a significant advantage by enabling gamers to see so much more in their periphery. Whereas 3D is mostly just a neat effect where most hardcore gamers would rather have the special 120Hz monitor required for 3D for its ability to display a game @ 120FPS than to display the 3D effect @ 60FPS.

Then there's the obvious advantage of Eyefinity being just as useful outside of games as a multi-monitor setup.

As far as cost...well a top of the line Eyefinity setup would certainly outweigh the 3Dvision, however staying with smallish monitors and/or recycling one's current monitor would definitely keep costs down (potentially below that of 3D), especially considering the cost of 120Hz monitors and the glasses required to go with them.

Sure, Eyefinity might not work correctly on all games, but neither will 3DVision.

And as far as the bezels go, I think that's a seriously overestimated problem. Properly done games will have the central screen look identical (or nearly so) to if the game was run on a single screen, with the side monitors strictly expanding the field of view. Sure, bezels aren't ideal, but I don't see how its worse than not having those monitors and not being able to see anything in the periphery.

"Member of Nvidia Focus Group"

Yeah, I think most of use knew where you would vote before we clicked into this thread.

I also think you'll change your vote as soon as nVidia inevitably comes out with something similar, although I'm sure they have given you something of a damage control assignment to try and down play this as much as possible in this mean time.

3DVision has received nowhere near the same amount of buzz.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Shaq
It obviously will not be plug and play with every game. Hopefully we can have both at some point with monitors with very thin bezels. That would be awesome.

Even 3DVision is not plug and play...the game has to support it doesn't it?
Also, don't forget about needing a card that is twice as fast basically to have the same fps as your current card to game with 3DVision so add that cost to the setup as well (irrelevant for people with extremely high end setups though). My main complaint however is the lack of 24"+ monitors with 120Hz...there's no way I'd downgrade monitor size having had mine for a while.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Looks like ati eyefinity is favored over nvidia 3d-vision 4 to 1. Nvidia really needs to do something to counter this

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Eyefinity for sure. Both can provide increased immersion, but I can see Eyefinity actually providing a significant advantage by enabling gamers to see so much more in their periphery. Whereas 3D is mostly just a neat effect where most hardcore gamers would rather have the special 120Hz monitor required for 3D for its ability to display a game @ 120FPS than to display the 3D effect @ 60FPS.

Then there's the obvious advantage of Eyefinity being just as useful outside of games as a multi-monitor setup.

As far as cost...well a top of the line Eyefinity setup would certainly outweigh the 3Dvision, however staying with smallish monitors and/or recycling one's current monitor would definitely keep costs down (potentially below that of 3D), especially considering the cost of 120Hz monitors and the glasses required to go with them.

Sure, Eyefinity might not work correctly on all games, but neither will 3DVision.

And as far as the bezels go, I think that's a seriously overestimated problem. Properly done games will have the central screen look identical (or nearly so) to if the game was run on a single screen, with the side monitors strictly expanding the field of view. Sure, bezels aren't ideal, but I don't see how its worse than not having those monitors and not being able to see anything in the periphery.

"Member of Nvidia Focus Group"

Yeah, I think most of use knew where you would vote before we clicked into this thread.

I also think you'll change your vote as soon as nVidia inevitably comes out with something similar, although I'm sure they have given you something of a damage control assignment to try and down play this as much as possible in this mean time.

3DVision has received nowhere near the same amount of buzz.

AH HA!!!!!! Gotcha. I openly stated in the first thread discussing Eyefinity that I didn't care WHO comes out with "Eyefinity" like product. Intel, Nvidia, ATI, Betty Crocker. It's not for me until the bezels are gone and screen merge is near intangible. But thanks for the character assassination attempt. You guys really are much worse than you believe me to be.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Well 3 monitors was done years ago by Matrox. Besides the bezel separation is annoying.

3D is the way of the future. My next monitor/video card upgrade will probably be towards that. I really want to play games like World of Warcraft in 3D.

wow, I never would have guessed that you would choose the nvidia feature...

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: cusideabelincoln
Wreckage wrecking threads. So fucking predictable and pathetic. He's become just as bad as Rollo, possibly worse.

rollo was at least entertaining at times. I kind of miss him. wreckage, otoh...

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: dguy6789

You do realize that 3D Vision is old technology that's been tried and failed before right? You know that, but you are conveniently leaving it out when you're saying Eyefinity is old technology. :thumbsdown:

Great, link to a competing technology that works with current games and cards.

I linked to a similar current technology that works with current games and video cards. So everyone launches personal attacks against me as if I insulted their mother. :roll:

I did not leave out anything more than is being discussed. Other people have mentioned how images look distorted on Eyefinity and how it requires you to buy a Displayport monitor. Should people who leave that out also be attacked for "distorting the truth"?

This thread is explicitly about Nvidia 3D Vision vs ATI Eyefinity, yet we are not allowed to discuss the pros and cons. Awesome.

Sigh.

funny how batman AA is one of the games that has trouble with eyefinity...isn't that the same game where the devs were paid off by nvidia to keep AA from working correctly with ati cards? And hawx doesn't seem very ati friendly, either. Is that also a TWIMTBP title?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

There's more to gaming than first person shooters. In a multiplayer FPS game clear field of view is paramount and I can see the bezels being somewhat distracting, but that's just one field of gaming and in many other genres (and single player shooters) a multi monitor setup would be very nice and beneficial to have.

And I just want to hopefully clarify other people's reactions to you. The fact that you're a Focus Group member makes it easy to tell what you're opinion is always going to be. Hell I saw your name under "Last Post" and was trying to guess exactly how you would talk down Eyefinity and praise 3D vision.

Even if we had superthin bezels or very wide displays, we already know you would never pick a rival tech over [insert nVidia tech here]. You might give it some praise, but you would never pick against nVidia. It's your job. You will always praise nVidia when they deserve the praise (no issue there), but you will never be critical of them (an issue there). Plus getting free stuff has a drastic impact on opinion. You don't have to shell out $200 for a pair of glasses. You'll gladly tell us you would spend that $200 if you needed to, but we expect you to say that. :)

Your inability to be truly critical of nVidia (when they deserve it) is what makes many of your posts sound like marketing speak as opposed to an honest opinion.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Storm

There's more to gaming than first person shooters. In a multiplayer FPS game clear field of view is paramount and I can see the bezels being somewhat distracting, but that's just one field of gaming and in many other genres (and single player shooters) a multi monitor setup would be very nice and beneficial to have.

And I just want to hopefully clarify other people's reactions to you. The fact that you're a Focus Group member makes it easy to tell what you're opinion is always going to be. Hell I saw your name under "Last Post" and was trying to guess exactly how you would talk down Eyefinity and praise 3D vision.

Even if we had superthin bezels or very wide displays, we already know you would never pick a rival tech over [insert nVidia tech here]. You might give it some praise, but you would never pick against nVidia. It's your job. You will always praise nVidia when they deserve the praise (no issue there), but you will never be critical of them (an issue there). Plus getting free stuff has a drastic impact on opinion. You don't have to shell out $200 for a pair of glasses. You'll gladly tell us you would spend that $200 if you needed to, but we expect you to say that. :)

Your inability to be truly critical of nVidia (when they deserve it) is what makes many of your posts sound like marketing speak as opposed to an honest opinion.

What you don't "see", is the truth in my observations. You only see "member of Nvidia focus group". Do you see that as a problem for you? Or a problem for me?
We've had this discussion less than a week ago in another thread. You probably remember reading the comments from many members going so far as stating that they were even annoyed at the scan lines present in a Trinitron Monitor. And you almost cannot see those while gaming. Almost. What don't you comprehend when I say, If monitors came out that were bezeless and were able to butt against one another with minimal detection, I'M THERE! Do you automatically translate my words as you read them to pro Nvidia marketing speak? Thats pretty unfair don't you think? What could I say, or better yet, HOW can I say Eyefinity is a very cool feature any more than saying it's very cool? Should I say it without the cons, and just the pros? Be realistic man.
Bezels will make Eyefinity a suck solution for gaming. Unless your playing 3 to 6 games of online chess.

You know what? I've stated my opinion and am now catching slack for it. I viewed all other opinions and let them be. I didn't go after the person and say you're full of shit for having that opinion. Is this what you want in these forums? Is this how you need things to be?

My "job", entails real estate. My hobbies, include computers, music, movies, some sports and at one time, car racing.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

Pay $300~ for the Matrox device, or pay $300~ for a video card that can do the same thing, but also has very high performance?

Assuming you have a displayport monitor right? Also the Matrox device is $279 and I believe the 5870 is $379 or more. Not sure how much a new displayport monitor is.

So one works with your current setup, the other needs a new monitor and video card.

It's just an option (that seems to really upset people I guess).

Psst, Eyefinity doesn't require Displayport monitors.
Last I saw, the new ATI cards come with 2xDVI, 1xHDMI and 1xDP.
How can you require DP when 2 of the 3 outputs from a regular HD5870 CANNOT be DP outputs?

The 6 output Eyefinity special card will purportedly have 6 DP outputs (since that's the only realistic way to fit 6 outputs on the card), but again, you can get adapters.
e.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/..._-12-191-103-_-Product or http://www.newegg.com/Product/..._-34-997-554-_-Product (in case you don't believe me). Those are just 2 examples, not every and all examples, and they are not the cheapest examples, just 2 random examples of DP and miniDP adapters.

I was looking forward to Eyefinity, but I can't justify spending £200 on a new graphics card for extra outputs, so I just got a PCI HD2400 instead so I can get 2 extra outputs over my single HD4850, and thus hook up 3 monitors again (like I had with a 7800GT and 7200GS, which when used with SoftTH allowed me to have triple monitor gaming years ago).

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

What you don't "see", is the truth in my observations. You only see "member of Nvidia focus group". Do you see that as a problem for you? Or a problem for me?
We've had this discussion less than a week ago in another thread. You probably remember reading the comments from many members going so far as stating that they were even annoyed at the scan lines present in a Trinitron Monitor. And you almost cannot see those while gaming. Almost. What don't you comprehend when I say, If monitors came out that were bezeless and were able to butt against one another with minimal detection, I'M THERE! Do you automatically translate my words as you read them to pro Nvidia marketing speak? Thats pretty unfair don't you think? What could I say, or better yet, HOW can I say Eyefinity is a very cool feature any more than saying it's very cool? Should I say it without the cons, and just the pros? Be realistic man.
Bezels will make Eyefinity a suck solution for gaming. Unless your playing 3 to 6 games of online chess.

You know what? I've stated my opinion and am now catching slack for it. I viewed all other opinions and let them be. I didn't go after the person and say you're full of shit for having that opinion. Is this what you want in these forums? Is this how you need things to be?

My "job", entails real estate. My hobbies, include computers, music, movies, some sports and at one time, car racing.

Perhaps I didn't articulate my point clearly enough. My one and only nitpick about you being a Focus Group member is that you cannot and will not criticize nVidia. I don't think your opinion is crap just because you don't like Eyefinity in it's current state (as in the displays and their bezels). I personally don't see it as a big issue, but I know many people feel just the way you do.

I was not trying to go after you because of your opinion on AMD's tech, I'm only pointing out the fact that - as a Focus Group member - you are unwilling/unable to be critical of nVidia. Knowing that (which all us regulars do), when you post in threads like this (opinionated AMD vs nVidia), how do you think others are going to see it? You may not be biased, but your association with nVidia makes it easy to guess what you're going to say in opinionated threads like this (unlike in threads focusing on facts where your insider info can be of good use to the community in understanding issues and getting new info on upcoming products).

You can praise AMD, and you can criticize AMD. You can praise nVidia, but you can't/won't criticize them. That's the heart of the matter, and my one and only issue with you (as an FG member, not you personally) posting in threads like this that are all about opinion. I hope you can understand my point here. :)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

Perhaps I didn't articulate my point clearly enough. My one and only nitpick about you being a Focus Group member is that you cannot and will not criticize nVidia. I don't think your opinion is crap just because you don't like Eyefinity in it's current state (as in the displays and their bezels). I personally don't see it as a big issue, but I know many people feel just the way you do.

I was not trying to go after you because of your opinion on AMD's tech, I'm only pointing out the fact that - as a Focus Group member - you are unwilling/unable to be critical of nVidia. Knowing that (which all us regulars do), when you post in threads like this (opinionated AMD vs nVidia), how do you think others are going to see it? You may not be biased, but your association with nVidia makes it easy to guess what you're going to say in opinionated threads like this (unlike in threads focusing on facts where your insider info can be of good use to the community in understanding issues and getting new info on upcoming products).

You can praise AMD, and you can criticize AMD. You can praise nVidia, but you can't/won't criticize them. That's the heart of the matter, and my one and only issue with you (as an FG member, not you personally) posting in threads like this that are all about opinion. I hope you can understand my point here. :)

And how does this have anything to do with the subject of this thread? Don't you think it would have better to PM me about this view you have of me as a person? Instead of in broad public like this? There is my nitpick. You don't seem to see anything wrong with denegrating a persons character in front of all others. Whether or not this was your intention, doesn't matter. It's what you're doing. But, you are far from alone. Sadly.

But, I'm used to it. This is pretty much what it takes, or what I have to go through, or the cost of expressing my opinions. Same old, same old. Ya know? :thumbsup:

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004

And how does this have anything to do with the subject of this thread? Don't you think it would have better to PM me about this view you have of me as a person? Instead of in broad public like this? There is my nitpick. You don't seem to see anything wrong with denegrating a persons character in front of all others. Whether or not this was your intention, doesn't matter. It's what you're doing. But, you are far from alone. Sadly.

But, I'm used to it. This is pretty much what it takes, or what I have to go through, or the cost of expressing my opinions. Same old, same old. Ya know? :thumbsup:
Yah, and why the hell do people hate lobbyists? They're just trying to earn an honest living, amirite? Honestly, no one wants a pity party. If you want to play the part, you also take the heat for it. What you say and do characterizes you in the eyes of others, not the other way around.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Eyefinity is interesting but no way I am having 3+ LCDs on my desk. I feel the heat off of my 30" in one of the hotter days in summer.

Now, 3 x LED screens would be nice. :D How much would that be?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

As mentioned before...not for ALL gaming. Flight/race sims and even RTS games could make great use of that and not have the bezels be a large drawback.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
How about neither?

I can understand why some people would be interested in one or the other, but multi monitor gaming has never had much of an appeal for me, and 3D vision gives me a headache. Even in a non gaming environment, I'd rather have a traditional tripple head setup then Eyefinity, being able to maximize 3 different apps>>>>>>one huge display for productivity IMO. As a gimmic, I think Eyefinity wins over 3D Vision IMO, maiinly because Eyefinity at least doesn't make me ill ;)

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: MrK6

Yah, and why the hell do people hate lobbyists? They're just trying to earn an honest living, amirite? Honestly, no one wants a pity party. If you want to play the part, you also take the heat for it. What you say and do characterizes you in the eyes of others, not the other way around.

I like these strawman bait-n-switch arguments where we substitute Keys with some other thing we are supposed to see as evil and vilify so that then its ok that we be haten on keys because its cool to hate evil things.

Amirite?

What BS we try and tell ourselves so we feel ok about trashing a fellow human being just because they don't express an opinion that parrot's our own. :roll:

We can't just leave it at they say their opinion and we say ours and that's it. No. Instead we have to trash their opinion, or character so as to undermine or make illegitimate their opinion, on our way to stating our own opinion.

Disgusting.

Keep it up people, with a little persistence you'll be sure and get the kind of forum you deserve.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
My opinion on the thread: Well, realistically I wouldnt get either, but if I was forced to choose, Id pick Eyefinity and hope for seamless displays soon to come

My opinion on the posts: Wreckage is the best name he could ever have picked to troll forums, he definitely does it justice

Zensal

Jan 18, 2005
How about we move all the hate to PFI?

Anyway, I'm all for Eyefinity mostly because I've been wanting a multi-monitor setup for 2D stuff anyway, and it just gives me more uses for it.

Also, I get those nasty headaches from 3D anyway.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I really wish there was somewhere around where I live where I can demo the 3DVision (I'm definitely curious to see what it looks like)...unfortunately we don't have any large B&M computer stores...closest is Bestbuy/Futureshop and they're not gonna demo it.

Apr 20, 2008
I'm interested in Eyefinity, but certainly not for gaming.

I used to run tri-monitors of different resolutions of my 8800GTSand/orHD3850and/orx1650pro with a FX 5500 256mb 128-bit PCI card.

Studying, research projects, multitasking and the likes completely benefit from running three monitors.