Nvidia 3D Vision vs ATI Eyefinity

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by dguy6789, Sep 29, 2009.

1. dguy6789

dguy6789 Diamond Member

I'm curious what people think of these two features. Which seems more appealing, more useful, more practical etc... to you?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Nvidia Vision Eyefinity Forum Date
    nVidia 3D Vision Video Cards and Graphics Mar 22, 2012
    [Toms] Nvidia's New 3D Vision 2 Vs. AMD's HD3D Video Cards and Graphics Oct 17, 2011
    Is Nvidia 3d Vision really worth it, or a gimmick? Video Cards and Graphics Mar 7, 2011
    Good Link for Nvidia Surround Vision... Video Cards and Graphics Feb 24, 2011
    Can someone tell me how to watch movies in 3d using nvidia 3d vision? Video Cards and Graphics Feb 22, 2011

3. McRhea

McRhea Senior member

I voted for Eyefinity. Having 3 monitors to game on sounds interesting to me, especially in FPS games. Bezels be damned. The bezels will get smaller eventually, and the experience will improve.

4. OCGuy

OCGuy Lifer

I cant imagine either ever meaning anything to me.

5. AmdInside

AmdInside Golden Member

Neither really. But if I had to choose, I'd go with 3D Vision. I don't have room for three monitors on my desk and I have a projector for when I need a large screen gaming.

6. Zensal

Zensal Senior member

Glasses of any kind give me headaches, and I was planning on getting 3 monitors anyway, so I'm going with Eyefinity.

7. SergeC

SergeC Senior member

Nowhere to put 3 monitors...but 3D gaming sounds fantastic. Hoping to find out in a couple months.

8. Wreckage

Wreckage Banned

Well 3 monitors was done years ago by Matrox. Besides the bezel separation is annoying.

3D is the way of the future. My next monitor/video card upgrade will probably be towards that. I really want to play games like World of Warcraft in 3D.

9. Ben90

Ben90 Platinum Member

Im not going to use either; but 3d vision was a godsend for me.... 120hz lcds are freaking sweet! I only sorta look back to my CRT now lol

10. SlowSpyder

SlowSpyder Lifer

I would think that 3-6 monitors would be way more useful in a non-gaming context. As far as gaming, I could see how either one would be more exciting to different people. For me, I really don't see using either one in the near future.

11. dguy6789

dguy6789 Diamond Member

The only thing I don't like about the 3D Vision is the need to wear those glasses. How well do they work with people who already wear glasses and maybe headphones at the same time? Other than that, it seems like a cool idea.

12. MarcVenice

MarcVenice Moderator Emeritus <br>

My gripe with 3D Vision is that it's hard to test. I mean, I can't see how it works on several games that I play regularly. The games I did see it with, were pretty cool though. Also, I'd have to not only invest in a 120Hz monitor, but also the glasses/receiver thingy. When I stop gaming, the 120Hz monitor is kinda useless as are the glasses. If I were to buy 2 more 'cheap' monitors (compared to a 120hz panel) they'd be there when I stop gaming, improving productivity. When writing I will often have a browser and probably 2 (source and the editor itself), a chatprogram for fellow editors and heck photoshop too sometimes.

Anyways, right now I'm not investing in either, I can't take a HD 5870 home yet, and AMD still has to make crossfire work with eyefinity. And to top it off, I'd have to buy 2 more panels.

13. Wreckage

Wreckage Banned

You have to invest in a new monitor for Eyefinity as well unless your current monitor uses display port.

Wha? It's still a monitor like any other...why would it suddenly become useless. :confused:

14. fleshconsumed

fleshconsumed Diamond Member

Definitely eyefinity. 3Dvision is mostly games thing. Eyefinity has practical applications besides gaming if you really need more than 2 monitors. Having the ability to hookup 3 monitors with just one videocard in your computer instead of two, plus as an added bonus hardware spanning for all games on 3 monitors is a great deal.

However, I'm biased. I've become casual gamer in the last 2 years, so 3D vision stuff no longer appeals to me. Having the ability to use 3 monitors with a single videocard is much more useful to me now, even if I do not use it for gaming I could always work on two monitors, while watching movie on the third one.

15. aka1nas

aka1nas Diamond Member

Eyefinity for me, just because I already have the displays. I'd want both at once if possible. :D

16. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Eyefinity by far. Having 3+ monitors not only works for gaming, but also helps a lot for non-gaming computer use as well (multi monitor setups are the way to go if you like to do several things at once). 3D vision is just for gaming, and so I think it's ridiculously expensive.

17. Wreckage

Wreckage Banned

For those who missed it.
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/

18. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Why would you spend hundreds on that when you could get a 5870 that does the same thing (but better) that also gives you kickass gaming performance?

19. uclaLabrat

uclaLabrat Diamond Member

Dude, no one cares that you want to denigrate eyefinity as "old tech", matrox's solution was hacked together and not nearly as elegant as running the 3 monitors from one vid card.

We get it. Let it go.

20. GaiaHunter

GaiaHunter Diamond Member

Neither, although I already have 2 monitors and thinking of adding a third rig to my place with a monitor.

21. SlowSpyder

SlowSpyder Lifer

Sweet, hunrdeds of dollars for 3 x 1280x1024 or 1680 x 1050 res. What if I want 3 x 1080P?

Not that I don't think Nvidia's 3D glasses aren't a cool piece of technology (just not for me right now) but it's funny how you ignore the fact that other companies have had 3D glasses for gaming in the past but want us to believe Eyefinity isn't important because other companies have a product that can output to more than two monitors.

22. SlowSpyder

SlowSpyder Lifer

Old tech? I could have gotten 3D glasses for my Sega Master System.

For the record I don't think it matters which tech is 'old'. I just think it's funny how Wreckage is back and distorting the facts... again.

23. Wreckage

Wreckage Banned

I was just pointing out an option that people have had for awhile now regarding gaming on 3 monitors. It also supports video cards from both companies and does not require a displayport monitor.

What did I distort. Please point out any statement in this thread that I made that is not true.

24. Forumpanda

Forumpanda Member

Wake me up when we get 3d displays

I personally already run 3 monitors and I could even see a use for more (such as having a projector hooked up to the computer isntead of cable swapping).

Once you go multi monitor you wont go back.

25. cusideabelincoln

cusideabelincoln Diamond Member

Wreckage wrecking threads. So fucking predictable and pathetic. He's become just as bad as Rollo, possibly worse.