nV GPU failures could be affecting certain desktops as well

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Its not the inquirer who should be questioned here. But people who dismiss these reports as nothing and say all is well . Its these people who concern me.

So, NVIDIA is guilty until proven innocent?

Originally posted by: apoppin
- and we DO see this reported; it does not come close to the disaster Charlie makes it to be - without substantial fact to back up anything. He *exaggerates* the issues .. that is beyond clear and he writes his own opinion as though it was factual.

I have noticed that Charlie will say stuff and then go "as shown HERE and HERE." Click on those links and you'll see... articles written by Charlie. He is quoting himself as "proof." :roll:

In God I trust . In man I have little left for other than contempt.

You trust Charlie... therefore Charlie must be God?!?!?!?!??!@?111!!! :Q

Journalists and Asian moles aren't the only ones spreading these rumors, by the way. Neil McLellan, AMD's director of packaging and interconnect technologies

Ahhh, so we find an unbiased opinion in the form of someone from one of NVIDIA's direct competitors...

Here's how I see it:

Charlie's truth <------------------------------------- the real truth ---------------------------------------> NVIDIA's truth

(dashes not to scale)

Those who say there is absolutely no problem... are lying to themselves. NVIDIA has stated that there may be a problem, and has set aside funds to deal with the problem.

Those who say there is absolutely and 100% a problem... are lying to themselves. It is no secret that Charlie hates NVIDIA with a passion.

The real truth is somewhere between these two extremes. Where is it? I don't know.

Neither does Charlie.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Its not the inquirer who should be questioned here.

:laugh: Not even the people at the Inq who write this crap believe it.

Only suckers from another planet born yesterday with a learning disability "might" believe it.

They post this drivel to stir crap and get page hits (which sadly works because someone with the same bent as them will repost it).

Like pictures of britney spears crotch or chain mail. It's almost a virus.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Originally posted by: thilan29
so are they Nvidia parts?

the bulletin concerns 38 models of HP Pavilion Slimline desktops, and at least some use the 6150LE chipset

.. "some use the 6159LE" .. what do the other ones that are also defective use? .. HP calls it a MB issue
:confused:

Go through the model names...AFAIK they're all nV integrated GPUs. However, I think in reality it's less than 38 models. I'm not sure if it's the case but it looks like a lot of those models are similar but sold in different countries.

Originally posted by: Wreckage
Where does it say on HPs site that it's a nvidia part failure?

It doesn't, and I doubt it will ever say it's caused by the GPU.
This line from the HP link:
"Some of these computers may not boot or may not display video"

and the fact that those models all have nV integrated graphics points to that being the cause (considering what's happened before with the laptops).

Here's a similar page for the notebook failures:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr...oduct=1842189<=en#

Of course it could all be one big coincidence...

I had a number of Lenovo desktops which did the same thing....I though it was the shitty SIS integrated video, however I was wrong, it was the capacitors on the motherboard.....

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Its not the inquirer who should be questioned here.

:laugh: Not even the people at the Inq who write this crap believe it.

Only suckers from another planet born yesterday with a learning disability "might" believe it.

They post this drivel to stir crap and get page hits (which sadly works because someone with the same bent as them will repost it).

Like pictures of britney spears crotch or chain mail. It's almost a virus.
agreed . . . on the very last sentence you posted.

Evidently there are also posters who will do a song and a dance to distract from the real issue - that it appears that Nvidia made *ALL* of the IG chipsets in the newly 38 marked-as-potentially-defective HP desktops .. according to TechReport who evidently looked it up.

Of course, these same posters - the mirror image of the charleys of the world - would then say it is "pure coincidence" and that it is somehow HP's fault and that St. Nvidia can do no wrong and is totally the object of a smear campaign by jealous and hateful people.
rose.gif

the truth is in-between the extremes

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Your kidding about responsiable news reporting right? Who was that movie star that got murdered she was in the news for what ayear. Watch the news man . They aren't reporting anything other than what there told to. ABC NBC CBS get their $$$$ from ads.
Like they would feast on NVs packaging problems. How many people are in jail over the failed banks? Why aren't any arrested. Why are Democrates pushing so hard to get out of Iraq . They voted to go in. I am sure the next pres. will end the war . Without solving the problem . Than it will have been a wasted effort that will leave the area in worse condition than when we entered .

In God I trust . In man I have little left for other than contempt. I am old seen much . This isn't America . I don't know its people or its idealism .It has drasticly changed. Here an example. All my life the media and government said beware of Russia. USSR. Than I read world history . and I can't help but think . History is kept for many reasons . One of which is not making same mistake twice. Yet the history books show me Russia isn't and has never been our enemy. But hay we beat them right. LOL . Another thing about responsiable news coverage. I would like to know what happened to the mofia. Does it still exist? No one reports on it anymore. Thats right there Bankers respectable bankers and insurance companies heavey into construction . I was a Iron worker until I was told to go out of spec at a school in Jamesville MN. I said F--- you and walked away from $33 hour without a second thought. I didn't report them but I should have. Even our bridges in MN collapse right after inspection . People die but know one goes to jail . Why? $$$$$$$ is the ans.

Than we have China another commie nation . Yet the news and our government treats these commies differantly . Even tho history clearly shows China to be an enemy of USA. Korea/ NAM . NOw twist it anyway ya want . But trueth and justice are empty words in the USA. May the left recieve what it so richly deserves.

Ya see the latest inquirer report takes the packaging problem off of just notebooks and extends it to the desktop that is new. But many here see this as a 3 month old reported problem which applied to notebooks . The lastest extends that to the Desktop thats new.

In the 1970s, there was a growing dichotomy between popular American television genres:
gritty crime dramas like "Baretta" which exposed a seamy underside of the American dream, while lighter "feel good" offerings like "Love American Style" echoed the naivete and innocence of the times. Walking a fine line between the above were gritty comedies such as "Maude", whose horrifying protagonist, Bea Aurthur, killed many a married man's hopes for post- honeymoon marital relations with her surrealistic portrayal of middle class suburban womanhood.

And THIS is why The Inquirer must be telling the truth!

Sigh. It's clear there are some higher failure rates happening in some notebooks with NVIDIA integrated GPUs, no one is denying that. Not NVIDIA, not the vendors, no one. Old news, warranties were extended, fans cranked, and promises for reparations made.

Since when is an AMD guy speculating that his number one competitor's desktop GPUs "might fail too" because they're also "turned off and on" news? Without a shred of proof?

Errr...

I've seen posts about people with failing 4870s, so they all might fail.

What? Don't believe me?

Good for you! I hope you're smarter than that.

Please don't feed the trolls

-ViRGE

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: nRollo
Since when is an AMD guy speculating that his number one competitor's desktop GPUs "might fail too" because they're also "turned off and on"? Without a shred of proof?

That was ONE part of the TR post. If HP is extending the warranties on certain desktop models and they all have integrated nV GPUs (TR said this), and considering what's happened with the notebooks, it isn't too hard to fathom (and seems logical <---my opinion) that the warranty is being extended on the desktops for the same reason as the notebooks.

Of course, as I said earlier, it could all be one big coincidence......

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Since when is an AMD guy speculating that his number one competitor's desktop GPUs "might fail too" because they're also "turned off and on"? Without a shred of proof?

That was ONE part of the TR post. If HP is extending the warranties on certain desktop models and they all have integrated nV GPUs (TR said this), and considering what's happened with the notebooks, it isn't too hard to fathom (and seems logical <---my opinion) that the warranty is being extended on the desktops for the same reason as the notebooks.

Ah- I think I'm just misunderstanding "desktops". I usually think of "discrete" when I think of "desktops" - my bad.

I agree it's not a far stretch for it to be possible an IGP would suffer similar fates in thinline desktops, which could have poor ventilation as well.

I thought this was more expanding on Charlie's assertion "All NVIDIA GPUs doomed, cats will be lieing with dogs, bin Ladin in the White House, and your Moms bunions will explode" prognostications.

I'll ask NVIDIA.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

perhaps the chipset doesn't like the changes HP might have made to its "slimline" models; they might have done something cheap that changed something with cooling

to be fair, we KNOW there is a related problem with notebooks and it has been speculated that it might extend to desktops .. way back then
- Nvidia has made itself responsible to its partners and reached accord with them how to handle it; $200 million is not chump change to set aside for warranty-related issues of premature failing parts.

However, one would be naive to believe that Nvidia would be quick to take all the responsibility for this issue - some of which they may share with TSMC and even their partners. it is an issue that we will have to look back on,a long time from now - to assess what we are just guessing at now. i doubt anyone - even Nvidia - can do more than project failure rates and guess how many of them will be actually returned for warranty service; and they can do it better than anyone else.
- of course they are hoping most of their HW survives past its useful life .. probably most of it will; and it will remain as a black-eye for Nvidia's image for a long time, perhaps, but it certainly does not appear to me - at this point - that it is fatal.

rose.gif

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
That Charlie guy certainly has better sources than normal on this issue. He distorts, but alot of basic facts have proven to true with his stories. Strange days with limited whoop ass.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: SolMiester
Hello.......motherboards not booting, or video not shown....ummmm capacitors!!

Or integrated GPU (or GPU mounting) failure? Just because it was capacitors in YOUR case doesn't mean it is in EVERY case. The only reason the GPU is being suspected here is because of the previous nV notebook GPU failures.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
The only reason the GPU is being suspected here is because of the Inquirer

Fixed.

No still broken .. except for the 3 or 4 true believers still left on this board
rose.gif

Nvidia has admitted failure already .. TechReport also thinks it certainly could be desktop issues as these HP model-specific problems only seem to affect Nvidia IG

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I've always had a gut feeling this extends to more than just laptops and I suspect it extends to discrete desktop parts as well. Both my 8800 GTS and 8800 Ultra died shortly after one year of purchase, both G80 chips. I've never had any video card that die that fast before and then boom, suddenly two G80 cores fail one after the other.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: BFG10K
I've always had a gut feeling this extends to more than just laptops and I suspect it extends to discrete desktop parts as well. Both my 8800 GTS and 8800 Ultra died shortly after one year of purchase, both G80 chips. I've never had any video card that die that fast before and then boom, suddenly two G80 cores fail one after the other.

I think playing Serious Sam 1 with the patch made them 'splode.....

;)

On the bright side, presumably they were warranted as I believe most NVIDIA OEMs have greater than one year warranties. (something that cannot be said of all brands)

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Fixed.

No still broken .. except for the 3 or 4 true believers still left on this board
rose.gif

Nvidia has admitted failure already .. TechReport also thinks it certainly could be desktop issues as these HP model-specific problems only seem to affect Nvidia IG

Please link to where nvidia admitted failure on desktops and or the 6150......

Or any fact regarding desktops and the 6150

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

Fixed.

rose.gif

Did they actually say, or confirm, that it was in fact the Nvidia IGP that is failing? Or is it that they are just suspecting it in light of the laptop issue?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003

Fixed.

rose.gif

Did they actually say, or confirm, that it was in fact the Nvidia IGP that is failing? Or is it that they are just suspecting it in light of the laptop issue?

the failure we are aware of is the one that Nvidia set 200$M aside for
- *that* failure .. the one they admitted :p

how many failures are you looking for?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

Fixed.

Did you only read the Inq link? I thought you trusted TR since you were quick to point to them in another thread.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Originally posted by: SolMiester
Hello.......motherboards not booting, or video not shown....ummmm capacitors!!

Or integrated GPU (or GPU mounting) failure? Just because it was capacitors in YOUR case doesn't mean it is in EVERY case. The only reason the GPU is being suspected here is because of the previous nV notebook GPU failures.

Yes, or integrated GPU failure. Why thats right, they use the same GPU in desktops as they do notebooks?!

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Fixed.

Did you only read the Inq link? I thought you trusted TR since you were quick to point to them in another thread.

TRs "news guy" simply reposted the Inq article. They even link to it as the source.

Did you even read the article?

This is not a knock on TR, it's still a knock on the Inq.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

the failure we are aware of is the one that Nvidia set 200$M aside for
- *that* failure .. the one they admitted :p

how many failures are you looking for?

Which so far has nothing to do with this.

No where on HPs site or anywhere on the internet is NVIDIAs GPU listed as the problem.

If HP and or NVIDIA come out and say the GPU was the issue, then fine.

Until then there is zero evidence to place any blame.

I hope you never write for a website as your skills are lacking.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
TRs "news guy" simply reposted the Inq article. They even link to it as the source.

Did you even read the article?

This is not a knock on TR, it's still a knock on the Inq.

They didn't just link to the Inq article and leave it at that. They did their own analysis as well: "And as far as we can tell, all of the potentially faulty HP desktops have motherboards with Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE integrated graphics." This quote from TR is different to what the Inq said which was "some 6150 models" may be affected so you can tell they did at least some investigation themselves. I don't think you're giving TR ENOUGH credit...I'm sure they know what's BS and what's not....and I'm sure they know Inq reputation.

Which so far has nothing to do with this.

No where on HPs site or anywhere on the internet is NVIDIAs GPU listed as the problem.

If HP and or NVIDIA come out and say the GPU was the issue, then fine.

Until then there is zero evidence to place any blame.

I hope you never write for a website as your skills are lacking.

Here's the link to the notebook warranty extension:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr...oduct=1842189<=en#

It doesn't say it's the GPU at fault there either (as it doesn't in the desktop warranty extension page) but we know it to be the case don't we? I've only seen Dell actually point to the GPU as being the cause of failures...not all companies will come out and point the finger.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

It doesn't say it's the GPU at fault there either (as it doesn't in the desktop warranty extension page) but we know it to be the case don't we? I've only seen Dell actually point to the GPU as being the cause of failures...not all companies will come out and point the finger.

So nothing says it's a GPU issue, so it must be a GPU issue....... :confused:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

So nothing says it's a GPU issue, so it must be a GPU issue....... :confused:

Do you only read half of a sentence?

I'll try again:
It doesn't say it's a GPU issue on the HP site for the notebooks either BUT it was already admitted by nVidia (after a while). Is the same not plausible for the desktops on the HP site? Can you understand it better now?

I'm not gonna go over that again...if you don't wanna read it don't.