nV GPU failures could be affecting certain desktops as well

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
so are they Nvidia parts?

the bulletin concerns 38 models of HP Pavilion Slimline desktops, and at least some use the 6150LE chipset
.. "some use the 6159LE" .. what do the other ones that are also defective use? .. HP calls it a MB issue
:confused:

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Where does it say on HPs site that it's a nvidia part failure?

Oh wait... it's from the inquirer....

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Wow..someone quoting the Inq, even though the article doesnt prove what the lead says!

*yawn*

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
so are they Nvidia parts?

the bulletin concerns 38 models of HP Pavilion Slimline desktops, and at least some use the 6150LE chipset
.. "some use the 6159LE" .. what do the other ones that are also defective use? .. HP calls it a MB issue
:confused:
Go through the model names...AFAIK they're all nV integrated GPUs. However, I think in reality it's less than 38 models. I'm not sure if it's the case but it looks like a lot of those models are similar but sold in different countries.

Originally posted by: Wreckage
Where does it say on HPs site that it's a nvidia part failure?
It doesn't, and I doubt it will ever say it's caused by the GPU.
This line from the HP link:
"Some of these computers may not boot or may not display video"

and the fact that those models all have nV integrated graphics points to that being the cause (considering what's happened before with the laptops).

Here's a similar page for the notebook failures:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr...oduct=1842189<=en#

Of course it could all be one big coincidence...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Charlie has a crusade going on against Nvidia and for his few months of 'fame'

frankly i'd prefer Nvidia to stay in business and rather prefer - instead - theinq to formally declare their bankruptcy to match their writing ineptitude

Charlie is a hack, a yellow press "journalist"; he thrives on bad news, rumors and speculation .. no one quotes him except as a curiosity
- or to start flame wars on forums

His article does not meet any standard for journalism .. too bad he is an "editor" with an obvious axe to grind. He *could* be right .. but there is nothing in his confused article to indicate that he is.

And .. finally .. Nvidia does have *insurance* for catastrophic failures - if they choose to use it, however, it probably means they have trouble getting reasonable premiums ever again

edited

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Charlie has a crusade going on against Nvidia and his few months of fame

frankly i'd prefer Nvidia to stay in business and reather prefer - instead - theinq to formally declare bankruptcy to match their writing ineptitude
There's no way nV would go out of business for something like this. Even if they had to replace all the affected GPUs I think they'd still be fine.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: thilan29
Charlie has a crusade going on against Nvidia and his few months of fame

frankly i'd prefer Nvidia to stay in business and reather prefer - instead - theinq to formally declare bankruptcy to match their writing ineptitude
There's no way nV would go out of business for something like this. Even if they had to replace all the affected GPUs I think they'd still be fine.
there is no way i implied that in my post

if i have any preference, i would want the Inq to declare "bankruptcy" [just "anyway"]
- they are morally bankrupt.

.. get it?

:p

actually, this kind of thing if true could sink them. if Nvidia had to pay HP or Apple or Dell to replace thousands of affected HW on their own.
But they are not on their own .. Dell, Apple and HP have agreed to *share* the cost [even though they clearly do not like doing it and are "complaining" about it - it is a "not my fault" kind of thing; no one wants to admit fault.]
As i also pointed out, Nvidia certainly has *insurance* for this kind of catastrophic failure [that may not even be happening - perhaps HP has issues with it's OWN cooling solution with those 38 notebooks - some of which are apparently not the previously mentioned affected chipsets]
- who insures Nvidia?
AiG?
:shocked:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I've owned and overclocked every nV top card since TNT including the 5900 series and never had issue. Most people here never have issues. It's only when OEM's get their hands on them problems start appearing. Hmmm... something don't add up. Why? In an effort to get small and quiet and stay cheap OEMs case/board designs are frying these cards via heat/electrical issues. 100%guarantee court of law will see it that way.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Has ANYONE even bothered to check which of those 38 HP desktop models have Nvidia chipsets?

if i was the Inq - researching reporting on that would be paramount - responsible journalism
- However, anyone who knows their history knows they are mostly irresponsible and in this case, Charlie draws impossible conclusions from the facts they have presented

:thumbsdown:

now watch the other 'net rags run with it; the careful and responsible sites will research it .. most will say nothing till there is real news to report

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Ya know what this is sad. If the inquirer is reporting the trueth. Which I am sure they are in this case . Its not the inquirer who should be questioned here. But people who dismiss these reports as nothing and say all is well . Its these people who concern me. Considering this is a hardware revue site and forums for discussion. To dismiss NV packaging problems is a gross injustic to the community. I don't know how you can paint it over with camouflaged fanboyism . The story isn't the Inquirer and its manic writers. The subject is NV and Bad products which there is plenity of proof out there on the web showing clearly the the Inquirer got this right. Its no differant than when they reported the laptop battery problems. Viral marketing is one thing when releasing new products . But viral marketsing to cover up production problems goes against all things honest. Iam sure Anand . Would most certainly agree.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I wonder if this has anything to do with my DPC latency issue that appeared a few months after I got a 6150-based S939 mobo. It makes watching YouTube impossible, audio glitches every few seconds, along with mouse freezes.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Ya know what this is sad. If the inquirer is reporting the trueth. Which I am sure they are in this case . Its not the inquirer who should be questioned here. But people who dismiss these reports as nothing and say all is well . Its these people who concern me. Considering this is a hardware revue site and forums for discussion. To dismiss NV packaging problems is a gross injustic to the community. I don't know how you can paint it over with camouflaged fanboyism . The story isn't the Inquirer and its manic writers. The subject is NV and Bad products which there is plenity of proof out there on the web showing clearly the the Inquirer got this right. Its no differant than when they reported the laptop battery problems. Viral marketing is one thing when releasing new products . But viral marketsing to cover up production problems goes against all things honest. Iam sure Anand . Would most certainly agree.
Are you kidding?

it has been over 3 months since this issue came to light; heck there were people "picketing' around NVISION and handing out flyers. There was even a reporter from theInq there [apparently] stirring them up [or so a flyer passer told me]
-i DO want to see what the responsible journalists make of this; if it was as bad as Charlie makes it out to be, it would be front page financial news .. well 2nd page, in THIS economic crisis
- and we DO see this reported; it does not come close to the disaster Charlie makes it to be - without substantial fact to back up anything. He *exaggerates* the issues .. that is beyond clear and he writes his own opinion as though it was factual.

Don't you think it would be responsible to *research* the 38 notebooks chipsets to even see if they are even from Nvidia - BEFORE saying what theInq said?

there is responsible journalism and there is "yellow press"
- what is quoted in the OP is not journalism, nor responsible

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Your kidding about responsiable news reporting right? Who was that movie star that got murdered she was in the news for what ayear. Watch the news man . They aren't reporting anything other than what there told to. ABC NBC CBS get their $$$$ from ads.
Like they would feast on NVs packaging problems. How many people are in jail over the failed banks? Why aren't any arrested. Why are Democrates pushing so hard to get out of Iraq . They voted to go in. I am sure the next pres. will end the war . Without solving the problem . Than it will have been a wasted effort that will leave the area in worse condition than when we entered .

In God I trust . In man I have little left for other than contempt. I am old seen much . This isn't America . I don't know its people or its idealism .It has drasticly changed. Here an example. All my life the media and government said beware of Russia. USSR. Than I read world history . and I can't help but think . History is kept for many reasons . One of which is not making same mistake twice. Yet the history books show me Russia isn't and has never been our enemy. But hay we beat them right. LOL . Another thing about responsiable news coverage. I would like to know what happened to the mofia. Does it still exist? No one reports on it anymore. Thats right there Bankers respectable bankers and insurance companies heavey into construction . I was a Iron worker until I was told to go out of spec at a school in Jamesville MN. I said F--- you and walked away from $33 hour without a second thought. I didn't report them but I should have. Even our bridges in MN collapse right after inspection . People die but know one goes to jail . Why? $$$$$$$ is the ans.

Than we have China another commie nation . Yet the news and our government treats these commies differantly . Even tho history clearly shows China to be an enemy of USA. Korea/ NAM . NOw twist it anyway ya want . But trueth and justice are empty words in the USA. May the left recieve what it so richly deserves.

Ya see the latest inquirer report takes the packaging problem off of just notebooks and extends it to the desktop that is new. But many here see this as a 3 month old reported problem which applied to notebooks . The lastest extends that to the Desktop thats new.

P&N is <----- that way; what you wrote is completely inappropriate for the video forum. Please stay on the subject of video cards and related issues, we've discussed this before.

-ViRGE

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Your kidding about responsiable news reporting right? Who was that movie star that got murdered she was in the news for what ayear. Watch the news man . They aren't reporting anything other than what there told to. ABC NBC CBS get their $$$$ from ads.
Like they would feast on NVs packaging problems. How many people are in jail over the failed banks? Why aren't any arrested. Why are Democrates pushing so hard to get out of Iraq . They voted to go in. I am sure the next pres. will end the war . Without solving the problem . Than it will have been a wasted effort that will leave the area in worse condition than when we entered .

In God I trust . In man I have little left for other than contempt. I am old seen much . This isn't America . I don't know its people or its idealism .It has drasticly changed. Here an example. All my life the media and government said beware of Russia. USSR. Than I read world history . and I can't help but think . History is kept for many reasons . One of which is not making same mistake twice. Yet the history books show me Russia isn't and has never been our enemy. But hay we beat them right. LOL .

Than we have China another commie nation . Yet the news and our government treats these commies differantly . Even tho history clearly shows China to be an enemy of USA. Korea/ NAM . NOw twist it anyway ya want . But trueth and justice are empty words in the USA. May the left recieve what it so richly deserves.

Ya see the latest inquirer report takes the packaging problem off of just notebooks and extends it to the desktop that is new. But many here see this as a 3 month old reported problem which applied to notebooks . The lastest extends that to the Desktop thats new.
LOL thank you nemesis for making my day. That is classic! It has nothing to do with the topic, and in no way proves the Inq right (even though you are "sure" they are), but I enjoyed it. Thank you.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

In God I trust . In man I have little left for other than contempt. I am old seen much . This isn't America . I don't know its people or its idealism .It has drasticly changed. Here an example. All my life the media and government said beware of Russia. USSR. Than I read world history . and I can't help but think . History is kept for many reasons . One of which is not making same mistake twice. Yet the history books show me Russia isn't and has never been our enemy. But hay we beat them right. LOL . Another thing about responsiable news coverage. I would like to know what happened to the mofia. Does it still exist? No one reports on it anymore. Thats right there Bankers respectable bankers and insurance companies heavey into construction . I was a Iron worker until I was told to go out of spec at a school in Jamesville MN. I said F--- you and walked away from $33 hour without a second thought. I didn't report them but I should have. Even our bridges in MN collapse right after inspection . People die but know one goes to jail . Why? $$$$$$$ is the ans.

Why don't you blame PC makers who cram hot components in small spaces with minimal fans just so they can get reviewed well? Proper cooling on laptops would require hair drier volume type fans which none have.

You can't solve the mujahadeen problem until Islam rules the world and even then they'll still kill and torture Muslims who arnt quite Muslim enough (see pre-invasion Afghanistan, Algeria, etc.)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

In God I trust . In man I have little left for other than contempt. I am old seen much . This isn't America . I don't know its people or its idealism .It has drasticly changed. Here an example. All my life the media and government said beware of Russia. USSR. Than I read world history . and I can't help but think . History is kept for many reasons . One of which is not making same mistake twice. Yet the history books show me Russia isn't and has never been our enemy. But hay we beat them right. LOL .

LOL thank you nemesis for making my day. That is classic! It has nothing to do with the topic, and in no way proves the Inq right (even though you are "sure" they are), but I enjoyed it. Thank you.
jeeze .. and i got warned for mentioning .. bus .. i mean a small plant, in a video thread when i tried to mention the economy. :p

Yes, Nemesis, what does your rant have to do with the topic?

What *responsible* journalists .. let's just take tech sites if you want to think specialized and "credible" and "honest" [unlike certain yellow-rag trash spewing garbage sites that prey on the unwary with bombast and bullcrap]
.. what responsible journalists link the 38 defective HP models with a Nvidia problem yet .. without even finding IF they are from Nvidia

HP could - possibly have other thermal, or other issues

ONCE we KNOW if the 38 affected models are Nvidia chipsets, THEN we can proceed with a reasonable discussion
- UNLIKE what certain yellow-rag trash spewing garbage sites that prey on the unwary with bombast and bullcrap sites might have you believe without really thinking about it.

Now put your HATE for Nvidia aside and pretend Intel had the problem instead; would you STILL be all for canonizing St. Charlie of Fudsville

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Has ANYONE even bothered to check which of those 38 HP desktop models have Nvidia chipsets?

if i was the Inq - researching reporting on that would be paramount - responsible journalism
- However, anyone who knows their history knows they are mostly irresponsible and in this case, Charlie draws impossible conclusions from the facts they have presented

now watch the other 'net rags run with it; the careful and responsible sites will research it .. most will say nothing till there is real news to report
Looking into it now. You'll note that the words "at least some" were used. And a few people picked up on that in commenting on his article. Others chose to ignore and contribute to the war chant. Charlie gives new meaning to the words, "Journalistic License". But you would have to be a journalist for that instead of a 2-bit hack with a vendetta.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003

Looking into it now. You'll note that the words "at least some" were used. And a few people picked up on that in commenting on his article. Others chose to ignore and contribute to the war chant. Charlie gives new meaning to the words, "Journalistic License". But you would have to be a journalist for that instead of a 2-bit hack with a vendetta.
But now we have *clarification*

the OP was kind enough to change his link so we could discuss it without being distracted by theInq

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15685

And as far as we can tell, all of the potentially faulty HP desktops have motherboards with Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE integrated graphics. This particular problem could have some other cause, of course, but both the timing and description certainly give credence to the rumors.

Journalists and Asian moles aren't the only ones spreading these rumors, by the way. Neil McLellan, AMD's director of packaging and interconnect technologies, told us in a conference call earlier this month that Nvidia's desktop parts have the same manufacturing weaknesses that lead to failures in notebook systems. Desktops that are often switched on and off may meet the same fate, he predicted.
now the techreport is not like theInq and they stuck their own neck out to say it is ALL the faulty HP desktops have MBs with Nvidia 6150 IG

THAT is what i wanted ^^^

Now if that is true .. it IS bad news for Nvidia .. as others have speculated

But i do not want to read HATE SPEWED my direction as i try to get to the facts; which i get when i attempt to read Charlie's articles
- that is a simple request from me; since he cannot control himself, i look to other news sources

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: rudder
Wow, tough crowd here!

This is a nearly 3 month old article. The failure are hitting the mac book pro hard.
That's to do with the notebook problems...this topic is about desktops from HP with integrated GPUs.

TR says it appears all of those desktops have nV integrated GPUs.

EDIT: I see Appoppin beat me to it.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: rudder
Wow, tough crowd here!

This is a nearly 3 month old article. The failure are hitting the mac book pro hard.
That's to do with the notebook problems...this topic is about desktops from HP with integrated GPUs.

TR says it appears all of those desktops have nV integrated GPUs.

EDIT: I see Appoppin beat me to it.
thanks for changing your OP
- the techreport was a lifesaver .. i was about to check for myself to see if all 38 models had Nvidia IG

now, if Charlie had the sense to wait a few minutes - or post the story minus some details to update it later - while he checked the facts, he would be doing what any credible journalist does
- but he does not; and that is the issue i have with theInq's reporting [not to mention the undisguised hate he has for Nvidia ruins any credibility he may have had in the past as i try to get past it - it is too much like reading passionate flame-filled forum posts]

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

jeeze .. and i got warned for mentioning .. bus .. i mean a small plant, in a video thread when i tried to mention the economy. :p

What *responsible* journalists .. let's just take tech sites if you want to think specialized and "credible" and "honest" [unlike certain yellow-rag trash spewing garbage sites that prey on the unwary with bombast and bullcrap]
.. what responsible journalists link the 38 defective HP models with a Nvidia problem yet .. without even finding IF they are from Nvidia

ONCE we KNOW if the 38 affected models are Nvidia chipsets, THEN we can proceed with a reasonable discussion
- UNLIKE what certain yellow-rag trash spewing garbage sites that prey on the unwary with bombast and bullcrap sites might have you believe without really thinking about it.

Now put your HATE for Nvidia aside and pretend Intel had the problem instead; would you STILL be all for canonizing St. Charlie of Fudsville
Yes your correct. I am sure Virg. is scratching his head . But read the whole thread. It goes from a story that charlely expanded upon from HP. To discrediting charlie. how is that on topic.

Than if you read other stories at inquirer today . You will see the one about Apple switching to NV chipsets. Really doesn't make since does it. So your right what to believe. Thats my point . Reporting news is a strange event nowdays. As to how its reported. You guys remember the Hormel strike years ago. I can tell ya for fact that what was reported on the news was mostly lies. Put out By $$$$$. FACT. I was there. I know.

If Charlie is correct THIS TIME he has done us a service . If he is lieing NV could sue the inquirer and easily win if charlie is lieing. Here whats happening here. HP and the like are extending warranties. NV is hoping that most the bad parts last past warranty. Its that simple. To me it means nothing because we change cards befor warranty is up any way. Point is if this isn't a true story . The inquirery could be in seious trouble here.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Yes your correct. I am sure Virg. is scratching his head . But read the whole thread. It goes from a story that charlely expanded upon from HP. To discrediting charlie. how is that on topic.

Than if you read other stories at inquirer today . You will see the one about Apple switching to NV chipsets. Really doesn't make since does it. So your right what to believe. Thats my point . Reporting news is a strange event nowdays. As to how its reported. You guys remember the Hormel strike years ago. I can tell ya for fact that what was reported on the news was mostly lies. Put out By $$$$$. FACT. I was there. I know.

If Charlie is correct THIS TIME he has done us a service . If he is lieing NV could sue the inquirer and easily win if charlie is lieing. Here whats happening here. HP and the like are extending warranties. NV is hoping that most the bad parts last past warranty. Its that simple. To me it means nothing because we change cards befor warranty is up any way. Point is if this isn't a true story . The inquirery could be in seious trouble here.
it *appears* to be true

Charlie has also been right in the past

it is the WAY he does it that irritates the hell out of me
- if he spent a little checking to see if the Chipsets were indeed Nvidia, he would appear much more thorough an he would be following an established pattern set for credible journalism

i think this SHOULD be out in the open .. responsibly reported.

and btw, it is not worth Nvidia's time and money to sue every Internet rag that misrepresents them .. what would they get?; i doubt theInq could even afford the court costs in an international case.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Graphics Cards 16

ASK THE COMMUNITY