NV 12VHPWR issues revisited

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
This wildfire is known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
to be clear, the firefighters were unable to put out the wildfire, because it was determined the primary extinguisher they used, the industrial chemical Dihydrogen Monoxide, was found by the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm.

Make yourself aware of the dangers of the Dihydrogen Monoxide today, the primary component of both cancer cells and acid rain:

I for one, call for a complete and total ban on Dihydrogen monoxide today!!! No exceptions!

(except for me, I get an exception, I am willing to accept the risk on the behalf of all of you)

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
This wildfire is known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

-"Sir these prop 65 stickers keep burning up when I try to stick them on the fire!"

*Pinches bridge of nose* "Damn, those prop 65 stickers contained chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm"

Reactions: Leeea

Tup3x

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2016

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Looks like 12V-2×6 connector will replace this:
Good news. Now even people with no eyes or hands will be able to use 4090s. o_O

More info here:

Who on earth will continue to buy 12VHPWR GPUs and ATX 3.0 PSUs knowing the design is faulty and an update is coming? How about their resale value?

Meanwhile "you're holding it wrong" keeps happening, all in the space of 5 days:

Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cablemod/comments/14odgbn/another_melted_adaptor_youll_know_its_melting/
https://www.reddit.com/r/cablemod/comments/14o78zb/melted_adapter_and_soldered_to_the_gpu_connector/
https://www.reddit.com/r/cablemod/comments/14nmv2h/my_asus_4090_port_melted_and_i_feel_cornered/
https://www.reddit.com/r/cablemod/comments/14nha2n/update_on_burnt_4080/
https://www.reddit.com/r/cablemod/comments/14l7iqc/melted_4090_strix/
https://www.reddit.com/r/cablemod/comments/14l1t0u/melted_180_degree_adapter_also_melted_into_my/

How long will Cablemod keep paying to repair $1500 GPUs each time their $50 adapter melts? It's already starting to be a problem now. What happens in 6-12 months when the avalanche of failures come?

My ASUS 4090 port melted and I feel cornered.

So I was one of the first people to purchase an angled adapter and everything was perfect for a few months until the adapter melted in the port and I was out a GPU. I submitted an RMA ticket to ASUS and after some back and fourth they said they would probably end up sending me a refurbished 4090 with a 90 day warrenty. I don't know what to do because now if the card suddenly burns out again after 90 days I'm out A GPU and 2000 dollars I spent a while to save up for. Please help or give me some suggestions on what course of action you think I should take. Cablemod already told me they wanted me to go through the RMA process with ASUS first but ASUS is penalizing me for an issue that definitely was not user error. I made sure that plug was flush and checked on it daily. Thanks for hearing me out.

I also expect NV won't open their piehole unless a class action lawsuit comes. I mean why should they say anything when people continue buying this overpriced excrement and defend it on the forums?

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
But maybe we should just start @ people randomly and see what comes of it.

@DAPUNISHER
you-rang.gif

Good to see the problem is being fixed. Sucks for current owners though.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Looks like 12V-2×6 connector will replace this:

*faceplam*

Couldn't they just beef up the 8-pin connector wire and keep it as it is?

The whole point in the 12Vpin was to keep it a single connector with 16pins.
What was wrong with the 8-pin x 2?

I really hope AMD doesn't go this route.
Its Nvidia being stupid and silly again, trying to be special.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
So it turns out NV silently changed the connector on 4070FE already:

Gee, I wonder why NV would do this if it's all "user error"? This explains why they kept their mouth shut.

Since the changes also need to be done on the GPU/PSU side, hardware using the old connector is a ticking time bomb because just using a new cable won't solve the problem.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
So it turns out NV silently changed the connector on 4070FE already
The 4070's with the 12 pin from AIBs probably still have the flawed connector, so you can't just trust any 12 pin 4070 to be fixed.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
The 4070's with the 12 pin from AIBs probably still have the flawed connector, so you can't just trust any 12 pin 4070 to be fixed.
It's even funnier now, soon nobody will really know which connector is where. We may actually end up with situations where some AIB decides to switch connectors for existing models, since they're safer.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I might actually be wrong, since the Igor's Lab, who discovered this, already checked an AIB card and it also had the new connector.

It's possible that all 4070 AIB's that use a 12 pin have the new connectors, especially since many AIBs just copy Nvidia's reference design. The manufacturers that went beyond the reference design seemed to generally have switched to the 8 pin connector.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So it turns out NV silently changed the connector on 4070FE already:

Gee, I wonder why NV would do this if it's all "user error"? This explains why they kept their mouth shut.

Since the changes also need to be done on the GPU/PSU side, hardware using the old connector is a ticking time bomb because just using a new cable won't solve the problem.
There is this part in the very post you linked that explains how the shorter sensing pins are there to prevent "user error".
The new connector on the RTX 4070 has shorter sensing pins, which can detect whether the connector is fully plugged in. If not plugged all the way, the card will not draw the required maximum power load.

dr1337

May 25, 2020
Me thinks this is exactly why the media engine is talking about FSR and how evil AMD is right now. Nvidia really wants to hide the publicity from the fact they lied about the launch 4090s primary failure mode. Not plugging it in correctly was their official position and I don't see how they can keep that if the spec was changed silently on newer made cards.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Not worried about it due to the statistical insignificance of the numbers which I do not believe amount to more than 1% failures (over 130k 4090s sold as of end 2022). They make huge splash stories and big media coverage when they occur and of course animated forum discussions.

Still its a matter that needed addressing by Nvidia to allay buyers fears from all the negative coverage and of course to reduce any further occurences of it. So a better designed connector is a step in right direction.