NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 155 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownShoes

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2008
Sinister - 7/10 - First horror flick I've seen in a good while. I thought it was ok, the first half of the movie was pretty creepy! After that, it got a little predictable and the scare factor went down to 0 for me. It's Amytyville horror meets Alan Wake....

The best part, to me, was the lawnmower.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Hansel and Gretel (3/10)
- This is the low budget one, not the one with the guy from The Hurt Locker.

The Last Stand (6.5/10)
- Excellent action, bad dialogue. The pacing of the dialogue and the interaction of the actors was just off, presumably because the director is Korean and doesn't speak much English (which is an odd way to film an English speaking movie).

Star Trek: Into The Darkness (7/10)
- Stupid story, fun ride.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Started The Walking Dead over the weekend -- 7/10

Somewhat disappointed by this show, actually. I had high expectations due to everyone I know watching it and telling me I need to watch it, and it just doesn't live up to the hype. It's still entertaining, I was just expecting more. Watched seasons 1 & 2 over the weekend.

AMC shows in general, at least for me, have problems. I'm not really sure how to elaborate, but I can give an example. Look at Breaking Bad in a general sense -- someone puts forth an idea, Hank tells Jesse it's a bad idea, Jesse does whatever it was anyway, Hank gets mad, everything is ok.

The Walking Dead kind of has the same problem -- someone gets attacked and/or lost, the group spends the episode looking for them,
or in Sophia's case, like five episodes (WTF?),
insert tense zombie sequence where you're either hiding under cars or spending way too much time looking behind you, and that's a wrap. I know most, if not all TV shows have a formula, I just don't feel the AMC shows hide it as well as others.

+1 for Norman Reedus. Wasn't sure I'd like him as a redneck, but I think he's one of the best-cast characters on the show. Also, crossbow.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I wonder why experiences reality depend on how people have set up expectations for us ie "that band is over rated" who the cares how they are 'rated', how does that impact your own experience of it?

:hmm:

Last edited:

ondarkness

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2004
uPSTREAM Color 8.9/10
Enjoyed the unique ambiance the film creates. Was very emotional, had to cover my eyes during what would normally be just a violent act. The film was really vast in meaning. It wraps up beautifully.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I wonder why experiences reality depend on how people have set up expectations for us ie "that band is over rated" who the cares how they are 'rated', how does that impact your own experience of it?

:hmm:

Because people can blow things up to make them sounds better than it really is and you come to find out it isn't. I found Walking Dead very boring.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
Because people can blow things up to make them sounds better than it really is and you come to find out it isn't. I found Walking Dead very boring.

Me too but I watched it from the premiere so I wasn't influenced by hype. I don't really see the appeal.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
last house on the left (remake) - 5/5

seen this movie about 3 times already, but it just owns and never gets old. has some VERY hard to watch scenes that genuinely make me feel uncomfortable, which i love when a movie can do. never saw it in the theater so on the big screen it was pretty badass. watched it with 4 other people who had never seen it, and i warned them about how brutal it is, and it met their expectations and surpassed it i think.

PatrickBateman

Oct 14, 2004
Silver Linings Playbook
9.75/10

Never really heard of it, didn't know what it was about other than seeing poster for it as DVD coming soon, etc. I like Bradley Coopers other movies and the chick looked smoking hot....so I redboxed it. Couldn't sleep one night and put it on thinking I'll see what its about and crash. Next thing I know, it's 3:30am and I am still watching with no intention of turning it off. Some things were predictable, some weren't, but as a whole, it is easily one of the best movies I've seen in awhile. Not just because I can relate to some of it, but it pretty much has something for everyone (adult wise).
I've watched it again because the first time I wasn't paying too much attention at first.

deducted .25 because it highlights Eagles game beating Cowboys ;)

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Wow, 9.75/10 good?

It's a solid movie, but it's nowhere near 10/10. You guys are starting to hype it too much. It's a great human drama and bit of comedy- something this year has been lacking. 9/10 at best.

10/10 would be the likes of T2, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, Shawshank, etc...

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
Started The Walking Dead over the weekend -- 7/10

AMC shows in general, at least for me, have problems. I'm not really sure how to elaborate, but I can give an example. Look at Breaking Bad in a general sense -- someone puts forth an idea, Hank tells Jesse it's a bad idea, Jesse does whatever it was anyway, Hank gets mad, everything is ok.

Hank is the DEA agent. Walter is the meth cook.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
It's a damn depressing movie. Damn Clint and his good movie directing.

IMO he's a hit or miss. Sometimes he has atrociously unorganized and long movies like Letters from Iwo Jima & Flags of Our Fathers.

Then you got some real polished gems like Gran Turino, Million Dollar Baby, etc..

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
IMO he's a hit or miss. Sometimes he has atrociously unorganized and long movies like Letters from Iwo Jima & Flags of Our Fathers.

Then you got some real polished gems like Gran Turino, Million Dollar Baby, etc..

Gran Torino was kinda spoiled by some terrible acting.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
End of Watch: 8/10

I watched it again last night for the second time and liked it much more this time around. After the first viewing I would've probably given it 6/10 or maybe 6.5/10.

I thought the characters were great and fairly believable, and the chemistry and sense of comradeship between Gyllenhaal and Pena was excellent. Both actors did a kick ass job, especially if you pay attention to the details, and the end is really a let down and incredibly sad. Throughout the whole movie you just wish you could choke the fuck outta those Latino gang members, especially that fuckin bitch with the big mouth.

I didn't mind the handheld camera POV and it worked well, and made sense, in this movie. To me the movie was a pretty well done buddy/cop movie and worth seeing (twice even, if you didn't like it the first time). With different or lesser actors it might not have been as moving and realistic.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
American Psycho - 7/10 I've seen it before but the recent Huey Lewis parody of it made me dig it back out. Fun movie.

The Host - 5/10 - This is the one about the alien invasion, but the Korean? monster movie. Honestly..I figured I'd hate this movie because of who wrote it (read: Twilight), but it really isn't too bad. Premise isn't that original obviously, but its worth a watch.

The Last Stand - 6/10 - It's Arny....old Arny.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Tried again to finish the new Die Hard. Keeping it at 0/10. I'll never see the end of it. Just too boring and stupid. I would rather read a book or sleep.

Django: 9/10. Plenty of other reviews here but I'll just say it's one of his best films. If anything they shouldn't have cast DiCaprio for this role. It didn't fit him very well.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Wow, 9.75/10 good?

It's a solid movie, but it's nowhere near 10/10. You guys are starting to hype it too much. It's a great human drama and bit of comedy- something this year has been lacking. 9/10 at best.

10/10 would be the likes of T2, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, Shawshank, etc...

Didn't you give a movie a 6 after falling asleep halfway through? lol

Buttzilla

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
Killing them Softly w/ Brad Pitt: 7/10, a bit slow but the ending was good.

Total Recall w/ Colin Ferral: 6/10, some homage to the original, ladies were hot, but the story didn't flow and was a bit confusing.

Hansel and Gretel: 5/10, entertaining, violent, mindless action flick, weak story.

Die Hard (the new one) 1/10: just horrible, it's like Bruce didn't even try.

Status
Not open for further replies.