NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 153 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Killing Zoe - 9/10

I'm not sure how I've never seen this one in the last 20 years of moving watching but I just watched it tonight. Eric Stoltz as Zed, awesome as always. Zoe is played well and the guy who plays Eric really steals the show. Plot was a bit thin but the manic energy made up for it, I think.

I loved the pacing of the movie, the violence and the drugs. I want to go back tomorrow and watch it again to see all the little things that I know I missed.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Oblivion 7/10

This movie had lots of potential but there are long stretches of it that are downright boring. I really thought they did a good job with the character development at the end though and as a decent sci fi movie with a small romantic edge I thought it was a good date movie.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Resident Evil: Retribution 0/10
LOL WTF was I thinking? The 4th movie was horrible but compared to the 5th it was a masterpiece.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Why weird? Do you typically not enjoy his films? He is an awesome actor, but I'll admit I haven't seen some of his more recent work. I did see flight and he was awesome in it.
Haha, naw I was being sarcastic. Looking back I suppose it would be pretty hard to discern that though. Yeah Denzel is fucking boss.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Silver Linings Playbook - 10/10

I heard a lot of good things about it so I rented it on Amazon Instant. Totally blow away by how good it was; it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Also, Jennifer Lawrence. :wub:

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Django Unchained - 9/10, best movie I have seen in a long time.
Pitch Perfect - 2/10, sucked terribly.

May 13, 2009
Django: 9/10 classic Tarantino at his best
Trailer Park Boys 1: 7.5/10 funny movie. A must see for comedy fans.
Trailer Park Boys 2: 7/10 not quite as funny as the first but still good. Funny scenes that will stick with you forever.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Oblivion: 4/10 Groan.

It could've been 6/10 with a simple reason for
using human clones to maintain the drones/sectors
. Pay your writers, for cryin' out loud! Instead, it looks like the only reason was to rip off
The Matrix and Moon
without a compelling plot reason. Very silly. Only Keanu Reeves would think that's a mindfuck.

I saw huge mushroom-cloud explosions that did no damage to the surrounding objects in close proximity with observing characters who didn't even use eye protection. I saw a space station lose communication every day because they can't have a simple relay satellite (or geostationary orbit
as far as the characters would expect
). I saw a dilemma that a simple written letter between demonstrably literate characters with plenty of reason to communicate non-verbally would've solved with far less risk, trust, and effort.

I couldn't believe the people behind me were clapping when it was all over.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Killing Zoe - 9/10

I'm not sure how I've never seen this one in the last 20 years of moving watching but I just watched it tonight. Eric Stoltz as Zed, awesome as always. Zoe is played well and the guy who plays Eric really steals the show. Plot was a bit thin but the manic energy made up for it, I think.

I loved the pacing of the movie, the violence and the drugs. I want to go back tomorrow and watch it again to see all the little things that I know I missed.

Great movie and Julie Delpy! :wub:

KT

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I don't get your grading scale. How could a movie be so crappy you couldn't finish it, yet still get a grade over 5? Shouldn't it be like a 3 or lower?

I completely agree.

Yeah me too, very confusing. I saw Rust and Bone last year and thought it was ok, but I finished it and I rated it appropriately.

KT

You are right. I guess I have this retarded mentality of... "I personally didn't like it & couldn't finish it, but others would find it 6/10 typically."

That defeats the whole purpose of the personal reviews, lol.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
You are right. I guess I have this retarded mentality of... "I personally didn't like it & couldn't finish it, but others would find it 6/10 typically."

That defeats the whole purpose of the personal reviews, lol.

Haha, well fair enough. As long as there i reasoning behind it, it's all good, it is just confusing with no other context. ^_^

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Nude Nuns With Big Guns - 1/10

terrible terrible movie....horrible acting. plenty of nudity, but with ugly and/or old women. seriously, 90% of the women are ugly or old, and most are flat chested...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Aww, is it really that terrible? :(

I just picked this movie up and was looking forward to it.

I'll be the first to admit that most people will like it more than me. I will say that it wasn't boring and the Mary Sue accusation probably applies to the source material even more.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
A bit late, but Dark Knight Rises 8/10. Excellent screenplay, story, execution. . . one of my all-time favorite superhero films. Instead of saying it was too long I'll say it spread itself too thin with characters, cutting around between all of them it was harder to get invested in anyone. That numbed the 'twist' for me.

For a superhero movie, though, much less holes in the plot that a lot of what I've seen this year. I'm looking at you Django.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Gatsby: 8/10. Stayed pretty true to the book, visuals and soundtrack were awesome. DiCaprio was great as usual.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
The Source Code: 5/10

Couldn't really get into it, pretty easy to tell after about the 1st 15-20 mins that Jake was either dead or close to, and seeing the train scene just over and over just lost me. Just blah IMO. Sometime this week I'll be checking out Silver Lining Playbook and see what it's about.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Pain & Gain 7/10

What a strange movie. One minute you are laughing hysterically, the next you are cringing. You felt bad for laughing, as this was a true story of scumbags murdering innocents for nothing more than money & greed.

The acting was great - Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson was terrific. Michael Bay did a great job as a director, some of his movies are terrible , this one was very good. The Island is my next favorite Michale Bay movie.

Tony Shalhoub I thought was fantastic - the scenery and cinematography was awesome. Movie slowed at times as it was 130 minutes long but paced well for the character development that needed to happen.

Overall 7/10

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Silver Linings Playbook - 10/10

I heard a lot of good things about it so I rented it on Amazon Instant. Totally blow away by how good it was; it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Also, Jennifer Lawrence. :wub:

Thats how i felt when i saw it. I actually had it for a couple weeks before i watched it since i thought it would be a typical romance movie. Boy was i wrong. Was honestly my favorite movie of the year. Funny, romantic, bit of a feel good to it, just overall was amazing to me. So much more than the action movies from the last year (that i also enjoyed). And i agree on Jennifer Lawrence too! Like her more and more and she is quite attractive too!

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
The Great Gatsby - 8.5 / 10

+ What really came through was the visuals and art direction. Just stunning visual story-telling. The NYC hotel scenes were just... perfectly done, visually.

+ DeCaprio played the role as well as anyone could have, but I'm not sure anyone can deliver a large enough performance to truly become Gatsby.

+ Mulligan was perfect.

+/- Very true to the novel, to a fault. Dialogue started becoming strained because of it.

- Maguire was meh.

I had a great time watching the film!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.