Nothing Ever Changes But The Dates And The Locations

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
A big part of the problem, is you, and your concept that everyone carrying a gun is thinking they are Rambo or John Wayne. Yes, there are some, but they are the exception. In short, you have listened to too many people that don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

All the people I know that carry, do so for one purpose... to go home at the end of the day. Unless you live in a state with very restrictive laws, you would be surprised how many people you see out and about are armed. In NC about 6% of the population have carry permits.

Virtually every shooting in the news is by a criminal, most of whom are not permitted under law to even own a gun.

"We", those that can legally carry, are not the problem. The number of people with carry permits in my state has tripled in the last 10 years. The John Wayne shooting of your fantasies... I'm not sure that there have been any.

I am talking about legal carry owners here.

To get a carry permit how much training with the gun do you get? Not much from what I know. In NC it's mostly all classroom training to go through the legal framework of carrying a gun, not how to handle active shooter situations.

Have you had specific training in active shooter situations in a chaotic situation at a public place with lots of innocents? I'm pretty sure you haven't.

Odds are you shoot an innocent just as much as you shoot the perp. You should listen to the guys that train for this shit. Again, you think just cause you have a carry permit you will be the hero in a chaotic mass shooter situation in a public place, aka John Wayne.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I am talking about legal carry owners here.

To get a carry permit how much training with the gun do you get? Not much from what I know. In NC it's mostly all classroom training to go through the legal framework of carrying a gun, not how to handle active shooter situations.

Have you had specific training in active shooter situations in a chaotic situation at a public place with lots of innocents? I'm pretty sure you haven't.

Odds are you shoot an innocent just as much as you shoot the perp. You should listen to the guys that train for this shit. Again, you think just cause you have a carry permit you will be the hero in a chaotic mass shooter situation in a public place, aka John Wayne.

Do you live in NC? Have you taken the course in NC? Obviously not based on your supposition.

Active shooter situations are rare. Robbed at the gas pump, ATM, carjacked in the parking lot of a store, much more common, and the reason I carry.

And I love how you make the assumptions of "who" I would end up shooting. Are you that desperate to prove you hate guns? You don't know squat about me, how well I shoot, a fucking thing about me. You are paint with the broad brush of your ignorance and bias.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Do you live in NC? Have you taken the course in NC? Obviously not based on your supposition.

Active shooter situations are rare. Robbed at the gas pump, ATM, carjacked in the parking lot of a store, much more common, and the reason I carry.

And I love how you make the assumptions of "who" I would end up shooting. Are you that desperate to prove you hate guns? You don't know squat about me, how well I shoot, a fucking thing about me. You are paint with the broad brush of your ignorance and bias.

You posted in a thread about the most recent mass shooting at a grocery store that

These types of psychos are why I never go to a retail store without a gun on my person.

So it seems you were talking about a mass shooter situation.

I am making assumptions based upon what I hear from professionals, that civilians with guns injecting themselves into active mass shooter situations is more likely to end up bad than good, for various reasons. That's not to say it's not possible for you to end up a hero, but the odds are against your favor. Shooting paper targets at a range or tin cans at a ranch or shooting deer, does not prepare one for a mass shooter situation. It's not even remotely close.

Even those with some situational gun training, like cops, make plenty of mistakes with guns. We see it all the time. And while they have some training, it's not nearly enough. But I'm willing to wager they have more than you, and you haven't corrected me yet, so it seems my assumptions are correct.

No I have not taken the course in NC, but I do know most conceal permit training is mostly classroom. So I looked up NC's training, it's almost all classroom training about legalese. Do you care to counter what I found out on the Googles? Did you get situational gun training for how to handle yourself in a mass shooter situation or a shooting in a public place? Please tell.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
In NC about 6% of the population have carry permits.

Most of those people do not carry.

Possessing a CCW permit is also a fantastic way to avoid legal pitfalls when in possession of a weapon.

Your historically actuate reenactment bayonet to long to be legal? Get a CCW
Does your antique firearm lack a firing safety? Get a CCW.
Want to transport a firearm on your 4 wheeler without stupidity? Get a CCW
Want to transport a firearms in your vehicle without needing to buy a approved lockbox for each firearm? Get a CCW
Want to own a real sword and carry it around for history day? Get a CCW
Want to transport said sword in your car? Get a CCW
Want to walk around with a medieval/halberd/polearm spear legally? Get a CCW

Having a CCW is the quick and easy way to avoid a whole bunch of legal rig-a-moral around weapons. Typically the length of the blade, the design of the weapon, the amount of pepper spray in your bear spray can is all strictly regulated. Unless you have a CCW.

But actually carrying a gun? Massive hassle:
Need to ditch it in the car for:
the doctors office (or any place that might care for a mental health patient)
The school
Entering a business that serves alcohol
The DMV and all other government offices
Any business with no firearms allowed sign posted.

It ends up being a massive pain real fast. Very few people actually do it legally*.

*I personally feel that among the subset of people who actually do carry, more people do it illegally then legal. Specifically, they have a I have a right to carry a gun attitude, and do not dump the gun when they are legally obligated to. Basically, these sorts of guys:

Last edited:

VW MAN

Jun 27, 2020

What training do you have under your belt? How frequently do you take classes?

I for one have never felt the need for a firearm in public and have plenty of training and experience with various types of small arms thanks to the US Army and many civilian courses over the years since my military time. I also own several weapons, but have never carried in public for any reason except for transport to a range.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Most of those people do not carry.

Possessing a CCW permit is also a fantastic way to avoid legal pitfalls when in possession of a weapon.

Your historically actuate reenactment bayonet to long to be legal? Get a CCW
Does your antique firearm lack a firing safety? Get a CCW.
Want to transport a firearm on your 4 wheeler without stupidity? Get a CCW
Want to transport a firearms in your vehicle without needing to buy a approved lockbox for each firearm? Get a CCW
Want to own a real sword and carry it around for history day? Get a CCW
Want to transport said sword in your car? Get a CCW
Want to walk around with a medieval/halberd/polearm spear legally? Get a CCW

Having a CCW is the quick and easy way to avoid a whole bunch of legal rig-a-moral around weapons. Typically the length of the blade, the design of the weapon, the amount of pepper spray in your bear spray can is all strictly regulated. Unless you have a CCW.

But actually carrying a gun? Massive hassle:
Need to ditch it in the car for:
the doctors office (or any place that might care for a mental health patient)
The school
Entering a business that serves alcohol
The DMV and all other government offices
Any business with no firearms allowed sign posted.

It ends up being a massive pain real fast. Very few people actually do it legally*.

*I personally feel that among the subset of people who actually do carry, more people do it illegally then legal. Specifically, they have a I have a right to carry a gun attitude, and do not dump the gun when they are legally obligated to. Basically, these sorts of guys:
I am stunned by your lack of knowledge. It is a sight to behold, and does not serve you well.

My permit pertains ONLY to handguns. Thats why it is called a "Concealed Handgun Permit". It in no way addresses any of your examples. Nothing to do with bayonets, swords, or any mid-evil weapons. A gun without a safety... you mean like a Glock, or a Ruger LCP, two very popular carry guns.

4 wheelers? Those are illegal on public roads, thus you are private property, and carry laws don't apply. You sound like you are in NY where it is my understanding you have to have a permit to keep any gun in your home.

Yea, that DMV office, last time I set foot in one of those was maybe 2010. The last "government" building I was in... Oh yea, the Sheriff Office when I renewed my permit.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
You posted in a thread about the most recent mass shooting at a grocery store that

Well, yes, and explained I don't go to retail stores unarmed. You jumped to the fucking conclusion I see myself as John Wayne.

Isn't mass shootings what you started this entire thread over?

Nov 17, 2019
The newscast I just saw on TV said it could be a workplace shooting where the shooter had just been fired this morning. I've got no verification for that.
Finally showed up in print:

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Should we rethink gun control in this country or go arrest some more kids who have drawn violent pictures?

Mar 11, 2004
Should we rethink gun control in this country or go arrest some more kids who have drawn violent pictures?

Let's split the difference and just shoot all the kids? That way it fixes both issues for the gun nuts. Or at least it sure seems to be what their goal is.

Which, perhaps Dems should make it mandatory that fetuses have to be shot by gun after an abortion. Might get conservatives to flip.

Mar 11, 2004

I am making assumptions based upon what I hear from professionals, that civilians with guns injecting themselves into active mass shooter situations is more likely to end up bad than good, for various reasons. That's not to say it's not possible for you to end up a hero, but the odds are against your favor. Shooting paper targets at a range or tin cans at a ranch or shooting deer, does not prepare one for a mass shooter situation. It's not even remotely close.

Even those with some situational gun training, like cops, make plenty of mistakes with guns. We see it all the time. And while they have some training, it's not nearly enough. But I'm willing to wager they have more than you, and you haven't corrected me yet, so it seems my assumptions are correct.

No I have not taken the course in NC, but I do know most conceal permit training is mostly classroom. So I looked up NC's training, it's almost all classroom training about legalese. Do you care to counter what I found out on the Googles? Did you get situational gun training for how to handle yourself in a mass shooter situation or a shooting in a public place? Please tell.

Ah, he's mr hero where if he had the perfect shot from the perfect spot because he lucked into being in the perfect spot when the situation arose, and of course he has perfect aim.

Have fun getting them to realize how their fantasy is exactly that and in a situation he'd probably end up shooting an innocent person, leading to a conspiracy that there's multiple shooters, and therefore it was a false flag operation.

Nov 17, 2019

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Conflicting reports here, too early for many details.

Uh oh, journalist used the word clips instead of magazines. Ammosexuals everywhere are fighting the urge to go postal.

Reactions: TheVrolok

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
They need to examine this police response. Able to take the shooter in custody within 5 minutes of all the 911 calls

Reactions: Jaskalas