Nothing Ever Changes But The Dates And The Locations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
Lots of different bits on this one:

Multiple people injured after gunshots fired near Pentagon entrance

www.chicagotribune.com.ico
Chicago Tribune|1 hour ago
Gunshots were fired Tuesday morning near the entrance of the Pentagon, resulting in multiple injuries. The facility, the headquarters of the U.S. military, was temporarily placed on lockdown. The Arlington County Fire Department reported "multiple patients,

Police officer stabbed to death, suspect killed at transit hub outside the Pentagon: report

www.msn.com.ico
Business Insider on MSN.com|8 minutes ago
The Pentagon was placed on lockdown for about an hour after reports of gunfire at a transit hub outside the facility.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
While I agree it's mental illness at the core, if you dig even deeper, it's a breakdown of the Socioeconomic pressures that exist in our society that brings about these mental illnesses. You can only live inside a pressure cooker before something snaps, and when over half of the country is feeling pressure from every conceivable direction, you're going to end up with a lot of people breaking down. And sometimes that breakdown is in the form of shootings. It sucks. We're really broken as a society.
well, since nobody in power has any inclination to solve societies root problems, nothings gonna get solved.

We need to collectively wake up and vote out every politician in America, and we need to keep replacing them every cycle until THEY wake up and completely change how they operate.
Thats never gonna happen. They're too good at convincing people they deserve to stay in office. Want proof? Donald got 70 million votes in 2020. More than his first election and he did nothing but ass rape the nation.
And 95 percent of congress gets reelected every term.

Nov 17, 2019
Meanwhile, in other news .....

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
The newscast I just saw on TV said it could be a workplace shooting where the shooter had just been fired this morning. I've got no verification for that.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
This is my hometown. I went grocery shopping today and could have easily been there at the time of the shooting. You get desensitized with all the shootings happening over 'there'. Really start to think when it hits this close to home

Since it said Memphis-area, some may dismiss it as there's always someone being shot in Memphis, but Collierville is a very safe town. I'd bet most of the trouble in the town is from bored rich white kids.

Nov 17, 2019
Not an employee, a vendor.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
These types of psychos are why I never go to a retail store without a gun on my person.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
These types of psychos are why I never go to a retail store without a gun on my person.
Curious. Do you think I'm the midst of the chaos of a mass shooting you'd quickly turn into John Wayne and quickly take out the perp without taking out any innocents?

I mean guys with some training for this shit still fuck up in live active situations.

Reactions: Leeea and hal2kilo

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
The solution to this problem is clearly:

An assault rifle for everyone!

There is no good reason we cannot turn a Walmart into a full on war zone at the drop of a hat. Tactical victory points to whoever takes possession of the ammunition counter. After we arm all the toddlers there will be no non-combatants.

Our founding fathers clearly intended this when they wrote the second amendment. The right to mass murder thy neighbors at will is holy, sacrosanct, and undeniably Christian!

note: I originally wrote this post with a sarcasm tag. But then I realized it was inappropriate, because this is how many christians feel these days:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Curious. Do you think I'm the midst of the chaos of a mass shooting you'd quickly turn into John Wayne and quickly take out the perp without taking out any innocents?

I mean guys with some training for this shit still fuck up in live active situations.
I choose not a passive target.

There are many self-defense shootings where the bad guy ends up shot, dead, or running away... If you choose to be a defenseless victim, good luck with that, I don't.

It's the same reason you wear a seatbelt, have smoke detectors and extinguishers in your home. You probably won't need these either, but you sure as hell don't want your last thought to be "I wish I had buckled up" or "why didn't I change the battery in the smoke detector... cough cough". Many people are so stupid about these simply being prepared that laws have been passed to mandate seatbelts and smoke detectors.

I don't want my last thought to be I wish I had my gun.

Nov 17, 2019

We gonna be reading about MtnMan?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
We gonna be reading about MtnMan?

In a country of over 300 million people, you can find an example of any fucking thing that triggers you. I prove nothing, just a one-off event. There are many more self-defense shootings that save lives... but they are not hyped by the media because they don't attract readers/viewers, thus revenue.

Virtually all media has turned into a tabloid regardless of the topic, because sensational = $$$$

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
In a country of over 300 million people, you can find an example of any fucking thing that triggers you. I prove nothing, just a one-off event. There are many more self-defense shootings that save lives... but they are not hyped by the media because they don't attract readers/viewers, thus revenue.

Virtually all media has turned into a tabloid regardless of the topic, because sensational = $$$$
A self defense shooting in a home where it's pretty much you and the perp is one thing, but in a mass shooting event it's totally different. Lots of collateral damage where trigger happy cowboys all of a sudden thrusting themselves into the role of John Wayne is totally different.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
A self defense shooting in a home where it's pretty much you and the perp is one thing, but in a mass shooting event it's totally different. Lots of collateral damage where trigger happy cowboys all of a sudden thrusting themselves into the role of John Wayne is totally different.
A big part of the problem, is you, and your concept that everyone carrying a gun is thinking they are Rambo or John Wayne. Yes, there are some, but they are the exception. In short, you have listened to too many people that don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

All the people I know that carry, do so for one purpose... to go home at the end of the day. Unless you live in a state with very restrictive laws, you would be surprised how many people you see out and about are armed. In NC about 6% of the population have carry permits.

Virtually every shooting in the news is by a criminal, most of whom are not permitted under law to even own a gun.

"We", those that can legally carry, are not the problem. The number of people with carry permits in my state has tripled in the last 10 years. The John Wayne shooting of your fantasies... I'm not sure that there have been any.