NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 744 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I seem to have developed some very minor throat irritation and shortness of breath perhaps on the 20th or so. Got an antigen test and I seem to have tested negative tonight. Not a lick of nasal irritation.

I've been consuming 10000-15000 IUs of Vitamin D with some K2 for my bones and teeth and have frequently supplemented vitamin C if not eating fruits. A daily 3oz of salmon as well.

Looks like I'm going to schedule an antibody test in a couple weeks if nasal swabs don't detect anything.

Maybe I did get omicron but a combination of natural immunity and much better diet has reduced the effects and symptoms so far...only time will tell if I develop long symptoms again or if this is instead a flu or some other disease.

Since a cough reflex has appeared, it's very possible that the infection has already stealthily invaded and passed and then left behind its leftover damage, because that is how my body reacted to my previous confirmed case of COVID. If that's the case, it's not as bad as the last time.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Omicron is either inevitable or an acceptable risk at their age as we haven’t heard anything about “long Covid” associated with this variant...
Isn't it kinda early to know if there are long term effects from Omicron? It's only been around for, what, 2-3 months?
Hopefully with the seemingly milder symptoms it won't cause any long term effects.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Even by the official figures (which I think are only confirmed and reported positive tests? so wouldn't even include the people I know who had it, self-tested positive, but never saw a doctor), most European countries have by this point had a quarter of their population infected.

So, surely, the actual infection figures must be closer to 50%?
Therefore, if omicron gives good post-infection immune protection, with that plus the vaccines, surely-to-God this can't carry on much longer? Can it?
(I'm not making any definitive claims, this is more of a prayer than a thought.)

On the other hand, global daily deaths are going up again.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Even by the official figures (which I think are only confirmed and reported positive tests? so wouldn't even include the people I know who had it, self-tested positive, but never saw a doctor), most European countries have by this point had a quarter of their population infected.

So, surely, the actual infection figures must be closer to 50%?
Therefore, if omicron gives good post-infection immune protection, with that plus the vaccines, surely-to-God this can't carry on much longer? Can it?
(I'm not making any definitive claims, this is more of a prayer than a thought.)

On the other hand, global daily deaths are going up again.
I have believed for a while that the true infection rate is about double the confirmed cases. They tested stored blood from blood donors (that population would be 21+ years old) and calculated 2.1X.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings :D . Strong natural immunity is the way we resolved these pandemics for all but our recent history.

There may even be a sterilizing vaccine in our future but I have heard nothing on that front.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
I seem to have developed some very minor throat irritation and shortness of breath perhaps on the 20th or so. Got an antigen test and I seem to have tested negative tonight. Not a lick of nasal irritation.

I've been consuming 10000-15000 IUs of Vitamin D with some K2 for my bones and teeth and have frequently supplemented vitamin C if not eating fruits. A daily 3oz of salmon as well.

Looks like I'm going to schedule an antibody test in a couple weeks if nasal swabs don't detect anything.

Maybe I did get omicron but a combination of natural immunity and much better diet has reduced the effects and symptoms so far...only time will tell if I develop long symptoms again or if this is instead a flu or some other disease.

Since a cough reflex has appeared, it's very possible that the infection has already stealthily invaded and passed and then left behind its leftover damage, because that is how my body reacted to my previous confirmed case of COVID. If that's the case, it's not as bad as the last time.
Might want to try swabbing the back of your throat instead of nose since you dont have any congestion.

Right around Jan 3 I developed only a dry cough ( no congestion, no fever) I thought it was due to some reflux as I over ate the day before. The next day wife said her throat was irritated and she could best describe it like she was coming down with a common cold . The next day 13 yr old son felt tired after school and took a nap took his temp and he had a fever (102.1) but otherwise felt fine. Since I had a bunch of binax now covid tests I tested everyone .
Results:
Me negative (nasal swab)
Wife positive ( nasal swab)
Son positive (nasal swab)
Me: positive (retested swabbed throat instead of nose)
Only symptoms I had was cough for three days and lower back pain for one day ( took ibuprofren and was fine)
Wife : cough sneeze congestion and general tiredness ( 2 days)
Son: fever ( 1.5 days tylenol brought fever down each time congestion( 3days)

* none of us had any shortness of breath or loss of taste/smell
-JNJ vaccinated (myself and wife)
-son not vaccinated
* also been taking vitamin d3 with k2... vitamin c .. and quercetin... ( been taking these supplements faithfully since Mar 2020)

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
At this point we pretty much need to learn to live with the virus, it's not going away. The vaccines help reduce infection and are a good tool at reducing hospitalization, but it's not enough on it's own, so next step should be making post infection treatments available.

Reactions: gill77

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
At this point we pretty much need to learn to live with the virus, it's not going away. The vaccines help reduce infection and are a good tool at reducing hospitalization, but it's not enough on it's own, so next step should be making post infection treatments available.
Treatment, particularly early treatment, should have been part of the fight from the get go. We would be in a better position today, perhaps far better.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

The overwhelming majority of the hospitalized and dying are unvaccinated. The height of irony is people demanding every intense and experimental treatment that medical science can muster for them while questioning the super effective vaccines because they've only been used on *checks notes* billions of people safely. Of course "treatment" is a thing because what else is happing in the hospitals but the treatments are not magic and when somebody finally turns up at the emergency room with 60% o2 situation they be f'd already.

Treatment, particularly early treatment, should have been part of the fight from the get go. We would be in a better position today, perhaps far better.

Like what, exactly? Remdesivir is a modestly effective antiviral agent but again timing is everything and it has to be administered intravenously. Monoclonals started to become available late in 2020 but again, timing. Have to catch it in the viral phase before it wrecks your organs and a lot of people are prone to staying home for a while to see if it clears up then show up at the hospital with fried lungs. The antiviral pills, which seem to be very effective, suffer from the same practical limitations.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Me negative (nasal swab)

A question if i may: how were these tests performed? I ask because IT MIGHT NOT BE THE SAME THING testing via nasal swab like a "proper PCR test" VS testing just "near the surface" of the nose.

My definition of a "proper PCR test" is one where one pokes the swab horizontally thru the nose as far in as it goes and rolls it around a bit before pulling it out: it's quite unconfortable but i think this may be a better way to perform the test. I do it like this every week @ work (used to be every 15 days), despite the swab being much shorter than the PCR tests' swab.

I took an autotest this past Saturday because i started having a runny nose since the day before and a mild cough since Saturday, and the test that was supposed to take 15 minutes waiting time gave a positive result almost immediately: i've taken 4 PCR tests and many autotests @ work since this Pandemic began but this is the 1st positive i've had for this virus.

Took a PCR test this morning (earliest i could get it scheduled) and should know the results tomorrow.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
A question if i may: how were these tests performed? I ask because IT MIGHT NOT BE THE SAME THING testing via nasal swab like a "proper PCR test" VS testing just "near the surface" of the nose.

My definition of a "proper PCR test" is one where one pokes the swab horizontally thru the nose as far in as it goes and rolls it around a bit before pulling it out: it's quite unconfortable but i think this may be a better way to perform the test. I do it like this every week @ work (used to be every 15 days), despite the swab being much shorter than the PCR tests' swab.

I took an autotest this past Saturday because i started having a runny nose since the day before and a mild cough since Saturday, and the test that was supposed to take 15 minutes waiting time gave a positive result almost immediately: i've taken 4 PCR tests and many autotests @ work since this Pandemic began but this is the 1st positive i've had for this virus.

Took a PCR test this morning (earliest i could get it scheduled) and should know the results tomorrow.

As best as I can recall : here is how tests were done Each test has a fold able card with an area ( small well) that you apply 6 drops of supplied reagent. then you take a swab and insert in your nose ( I went as high up the nose as i could) and rotate the swab i think i did 4 complete rotatations in each nostril. insert the swab into the area where the reagent is held and rotate 3-4 times. close the card by folding it over it has an adhesive strip to keep it shut.... wait 15 mins and if you see two red lines that indicates covid + (1 red line is negative)

as I mentioned before ... I first tested my nasal swab and got negative results... less than a half hour later i swabbed my throat as best as I could and that sample was covid +

I did not have any congestion at all from my bout with covid ( wife and son were tested and both nasal swabs... and were positive)

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Like what, exactly? Remdesivir is a modestly effective antiviral agent but again timing is everything and it has to be administered intravenously. Monoclonals started to become available late in 2020 but again, timing. Have to catch it in the viral phase before it wrecks your organs and a lot of people are prone to staying home for a while to see if it clears up then show up at the hospital with fried lungs. The antiviral pills, which seem to be very effective, suffer from the same practical limitations.
Remdesivir is not something that came to mind. Mabs would be the first that does. Only one type that seems to be effective with Omicron. There are a several protocols out there, with lots of overlap. Probably the most well known is FLCCC. If you are easily triggered, don't even bother searching.

As far as I know, early treatment is something that there is no getting around when fighting a virus. Seems to be easier to fight a million than a trillion. Having treatments readily available is about all you can do. You are right, treatments are pretty useless to those who refuse treatment. It is a difficult issue, but not one that should inhibit the effort to make them availabie to those who want and need it.

Many of the items in the protocols include things like vitamin D, something you likely benefit from by supplementing prior to infection. There are tests availble to measure your level. Early treatment is much easier if you have the items already on hand. No reason to even wait for a test, if you are symptomatic or have been exposed, start treatment.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Remdesivir is not something that came to mind. Mabs would be the first that does. Only one type that seems to be effective with Omicron. There are a several protocols out there, with lots of overlap. Probably the most well known is FLCCC. If you are easily triggered, don't even bother searching.

Yeah, unfortunately Omicron rendered most of the monoclonals ineffective. Especially the ones in heavy US use from Regeneron and Lilly. Now certain places are demanding loudly that the government send them these useless drugs. Oh FLCCC lol...I see they are still listing Ivermectin for prevention haha. Good luck with their "protocols". They do manage to list the only effective MAB in use in the US though but 95% else of their stuff is garbage. Anyway all their stuff is for people who aren't vaccinated who should be in the first place.

As far as I know, early treatment is something that there is no getting around when fighting a virus. Seems to be easier to fight a million than a trillion. Having treatments readily available is about all you can do. You are right, treatments are pretty useless to those who refuse treatment. It is a difficult issue, but not one that should inhibit the effort to make them availabie to those who want and need it.

Doses of sotrovimab and paxlovid are limited right now and there is little that can be done about it immediately. The unvaccinated have decided to take their chances.

Many of the items in the protocols include things like vitamin D, something you likely benefit from by supplementing prior to infection. There are tests availble to measure your level. Early treatment is much easier if you have the items already on hand. No reason to even wait for a test, if you are symptomatic or have been exposed, start treatment.

I'm going to rely on vitamin mRNA instead I think to stay out of the hospital and out of the grave.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
As best as I can recall : here is how tests were done Each test has a fold able card with an area ( small well) that you apply 6 drops of supplied reagent. then you take a swab and insert in your nose ( I went as high up the nose as i could) and rotate the swab i think i did 4 complete rotatations in each nostril. insert the swab into the area where the reagent is held and rotate 3-4 times. close the card by folding it over it has an adhesive strip to keep it shut.... wait 15 mins and if you see two red lines that indicates covid + (1 red line is negative)

as I mentioned before ... I first tested my nasal swab and got negative results... less than a half hour later i swabbed my throat as best as I could and that sample was covid +

I did not have any congestion at all from my bout with covid ( wife and son were tested and both nasal swabs... and were positive)

If i understand you correctly, the swab wasn't inserted as with a PCR test then, and that's precisely the reason i asked about it. Not that the test results would be different had you done so (honestly don't know): it's just that i figure, if a PCR test swabs from that location, i should try and do the same for autotests.

I usually joke around when referring to the way i conduct these tests saying something like " inserted the swab all the way in, revolved a bit and tried to retrieve it from the back of the head" ...

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Yeah, unfortunately Omicron rendered most of the monoclonals ineffective. Especially the ones in heavy US use from Regeneron and Lilly. Now certain places are demanding loudly that the government send them these useless drugs. Oh FLCCC lol...I see they are still listing Ivermectin for prevention haha. Good luck with their "protocols". They do manage to list the only effective MAB in use in the US though but 95% else of their stuff is garbage. Anyway all their stuff is for people who aren't vaccinated who should be in the first place.

Doses of sotrovimab and paxlovid are limited right now and there is little that can be done about it immediately. The unvaccinated have decided to take their chances.

I'm going to rely on vitamin mRNA instead I think to stay out of the hospital and out of the grave.
I fully support your decision to rely on whatever treatment you feel is appropriate for you. No interest here in mandating anything for anybody.

As the effectiveness of the current vaccines wane, some may find it of interest to have a backup plan to deal with Omicron and whatever comes next.

You fight with the army you have.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
We're in a similar boat. Damn near 2 years without doing much of anything, which is far more than most of our family/friends did.
2 years in and you still haven't figured out how to enjoy life safely? What is taking you so long?

I've added mountain trail biking, ice skating on lakes, cross country skiing, exploring all state parks and recreation areas, added a garage gym, camped more than ever, explored Colorado mountains in winter (used to only go in summer), took up making craft cocktails, started and completed Gloomhaven, built my first computer from scratch, finished my basement, created a safe pod with my nieces so we can visit each other, etc. I'm doing more during the pandemic than before. Do you lack creativity?

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
2 years in and you still haven't figured out how to enjoy life safely? What is taking you so long?

I've added mountain trail biking, ice skating on lakes, cross country skiing, exploring all state parks and recreation areas, added a garage gym, camped more than ever, explored Colorado mountains in winter (used to only go in summer), took up making craft cocktails, etc. I'm doing more during the pandemic than before. Do you lack creativity?
Same, gardening (general plants as well as food), got new pets, picked up a few new crafting skills, LOTS of new cooking done. Anyone that's been sitting idle these last 2 years has been wasting their time, and missing a once in a century opportunity.

Reactions: dullard and gill77

gill77

Aug 3, 2006

I've added mountain trail biking, ice skating on lakes, cross country skiing, exploring all state parks and recreation areas, added a garage gym, camped more than ever, explored Colorado mountains in winter (used to only go in summer), took up making craft cocktails, etc. I'm doing more during the pandemic than before. Do you lack creativity?
Good for you. Great post.

But hey, you could take it a little easier on those of us who are a bit challenged in the creativity department :D

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

I've added mountain trail biking, ice skating on lakes, cross country skiing, exploring all state parks and recreation areas, added a garage gym, camped more than ever, explored Colorado mountains in winter (used to only go in summer), took up making craft cocktails, started and completed Gloomhaven, built my first computer from scratch, finished my basement, created a safe pod with my nieces so we can visit each other, etc. I'm doing more during the pandemic than before. Do you lack creativity?

Let me clarify.

Going to a restaurant and not feeling on edge. Going to a concert. Going to a holiday celebration without fear of killing an elderly relative. That's what I mean.

Home projects, lawn work, exercise, cooking, are all things I enjoy and have continued to enjoy.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011

So we can agree on a vaccine mandate?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Let me clarify.

Going to a restaurant and not feeling on edge. Going to a concert. Going to a holiday celebration without fear of killing an elderly relative. That's what I mean.
Get takeout and eat in a park, or your backyard, or curled up in a couch/bed. More beautiful, more comfortable, and you can actually hear the people you are with.

With your elderly relatives, create a safety pod. For the week prior to the visit, EVERYONE play it safe, no cheating. No shopping, no socializing in person, if possible take days off of work, wear N95 masks properly, etc. Then have your holiday celebration without fear. As long as the gathering is small, limited to the essential people that you can trust to be safe the week before, there is no reason to avoid gatherings with relatives.

Yes, concerts for the most part are hard to do safely. There are some limited exceptions (small concerts outdoors). But, that is the thing that I was talking about. Why haven't you come up with things you enjoy more than concerts? You've had plenty of time to do so. There are some things that I've dropped (going to the aerial arts gym for example), but I just added the aerial equipment to my garage gym instead. Do, I miss the real gym experience? Yes. But, I've added so many other things that I honestly don't mind.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I haven't come up with something I enjoy more than concerts because there's not really much I enjoy more than concerts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's not a thing that can just be replaced, same with getting together with a random assortment of musicians and jamming. I've attended virtual concerts, and virtual jams.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about my situation, I've got lots of things to do, and I do them, but the suggestion of "learn to enjoy something else more" is kind of hollow.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I haven't come up with something I enjoy more than concerts because there's not really much I enjoy more than concerts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's not a thing that can just be replaced, same with getting together with a random assortment of musicians and jamming. I've attended virtual concerts, and virtual jams.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about my situation, I've got lots of things to do, and I do them, but the suggestion of "learn to enjoy something else more" is kind of hollow.
I think I have seen something about virtual jams. I don't understand how the latency issue can be resolved.

Do you find that they work?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So we can agree on a vaccine mandate?

No. That should be a choice 100%. But we also should not stop the world for the unvaccinated. If they choose to not get it, and put themselves at risk then they took that chance. Those who are quadruple vaxxed and triple masked and still scared of the unvax are free to take precautions themselves but vax or unvax everyone should be allowed everywhere, to have a job etc... In fact we need stronger laws for medical privacy. It should be illegal for any organization to ask for vax status for anything. Get rid of the social credit/vax passport system too.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Might want to try swabbing the back of your throat instead of nose since you dont have any congestion.

Right around Jan 3 I developed only a dry cough ( no congestion, no fever) I thought it was due to some reflux as I over ate the day before. The next day wife said her throat was irritated and she could best describe it like she was coming down with a common cold . The next day 13 yr old son felt tired after school and took a nap took his temp and he had a fever (102.1) but otherwise felt fine. Since I had a bunch of binax now covid tests I tested everyone .
Results:
Me negative (nasal swab)
Me: positive (retested swabbed throat instead of nose)
Only symptoms I had was cough for three days and lower back pain for one day ( took ibuprofren and was fine)
Wife : cough sneeze congestion and general tiredness ( 2 days)
Son: fever ( 1.5 days tylenol brought fever down each time congestion( 3days)

* none of us had any shortness of breath or loss of taste/smell
-JNJ vaccinated (myself and wife)
-son not vaccinated
* also been taking vitamin d3 with k2... vitamin c .. and quercetin... ( been taking these supplements faithfully since Mar 2020)
Any landmarks to hit? Like top of the mouth or really way back towards the trachea/esophagus?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I think I have seen something about virtual jams. I don't understand how the latency issue can be resolved.

Do you find that they work?
It isn't solved (for us, at any rate), everyone who isn't the active player mutes, and you play/sing along with them yourself. So it's obviously a poor substitute for an in-person jam.