NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 688 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Getting my booster on Monday. Had Pfizer. Is there any quantifiable benefit to ask for Moderna?
There was an article posted by "your local epidemiologist" on FB that showed roughly a two-fold increase in antibodies for boosting pfizer with Moderna relative to a 3rd pfizer dose, but that study utilized a full Moderna dose whereas the booster is only a half dose, so I don't think there's any solid data one way or the other. I boosted with Pfizer (all 3 doses).

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Getting my booster on Monday. Had Pfizer. Is there any quantifiable benefit to ask for Moderna?

Hard to say with any certainty although if I were to hazard a guess I'd say you would get VERY slightly stronger immunity with VERY slightly worse side effects. (I had all 3 Moderna at the suggestion of my MD)

I very much doubt it will hurt anything either although this is also a pure guess.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Here is the data that was presented in order to get the boosters approved. I modified the graph to remove clutter and focus only on people that got Pfizer first. Note: due to the rush to get the data in and the boosters started, day 29 was not yet ready for boosting with Pfizer. So, look at day 15. All vaccine boosters significantly increased antibody responses. All boosters got antibody responses to ~5x10^4 AUC by day 15. There is virtually no difference between a Moderna booster (top graph) or a Pfizer booster (bottom graph). The J&J booster is basically as good except maybe for the last variant shown in pink (B.1.617.2 is Delta).

In other words, all boosters are good.

I personally went Pfizer for my first 2 shots and got a Moderna booster. The Moderna booster is 50 ug vs 30 ug for the Pfizer booster. So, it gave me more side effects. But it also gave me the hope that possibly the larger dose might last longer (this is just my hope, not something that I have data for). I also like the idea of vaccines for slightly different targets.

1637266037069.png

Last edited:
Reactions: manly and Captante

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Getting my moderna booster on Sunday, gf got a Pfizer booster a couple weeks ago and she just had a sore arm this time around.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nice. Planning to get boosted sometime next week. Am I gonna be straight-laced and get my Pfizer, or a hot little slut and get Moderna :p?

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I assume this is bad news, becuase it makes it even less likely COVID will ever be eradicated

In fact, hunters are likely to be one of the most obvious sources of potential reinfection as they regularly handle dead animals.
Can you in fact get Covid from a dead anything? Is this an issue at morgues?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Active cases have been above 5000 in WV since Aug 11th. We finally got back down to a low of 5937 for this wave on Nov 8th and we are currently back up to 7306. Daily positivity is above 10%. Hospitalizations have plateaued and will probably go back up. This is what failure looks like. The virus is winning here and it has many accomplices and enablers.

• Wow

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
NYC still staying just under a 2% positivity rate in a very very dense city. Being masked in mass transit helps a lot. A lot of people still mask up in stores. Vaccines required to do many indoor things. People still having a blast at bars and restaurants and all the things. Will be at a bar tonight in fact, in the East village.

Always a risk but feel better just knowing this is the situation around me.

Reactions: K1052 and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
NYC still staying just under a 2% positivity rate in a very very dense city. Being masked in mass transit helps a lot. A lot of people still mask up in stores. Vaccines required to do many indoor things. People still having a blast at bars and restaurants and all the things. Will be at a bar tonight in fact, in the East village.

Always a risk but feel better just knowing this is the situation around me.

Connecticut has been hovering around 3% this last week however New Haven is still a bit under 2% locally.

A lot of folks are skipping masking up now even in localities that still have a mask-mandate which is something new here.

I for one will be masking up indoors in public during cold/flu season moving forward Covid-19 be damned. (plenty of other nasty stuff floating around to catch!)

Don't like it? Tough freaking luck. :mad:

*(interesting how even here in CT the map CLEARLY indicates in more rural/GOP leaning towns the rate of infection is far higher most likely due to fewer being vaccinated... and CT is pushing 82% w/1 shot & 71% fully vaxxed I believe. How stupid are these people?)

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Booster demand here in Austin appears robust. Especially for mRNA shots. Lots of places booked up till next week unless you’re willing to drive 20-30 miles out of town.

Feb 4, 2009
Can you in fact get Covid from a dead anything? Is this an issue at morgues?

I think the point is misguided.
The fact that it hops species makes it more likely to mutate to something new and makes it harder to eradicate. We can’t vaccinate all the humans, how would we vaccinate all the deer, cats, big cats, dogs and assumably wolves and squirrels.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think the point is misguided.
The fact that it hops species makes it more likely to mutate to something new and makes it harder to eradicate. We can’t vaccinate all the humans, how would we vaccinate all the deer, cats, big cats, dogs and assumably wolves and squirrels.

Interestingly a subsidiary of Pfizer is distributing coronavirus vaccines for animals, zoos specifically right now. I'd think eventually people will be able to get their pets vaccinated too.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Connecticut has been hovering around 3% this last week however New Haven is still a bit under 2% locally.

A lot of folks are skipping masking up now even in localities that still have a mask-mandate which is something new here.

I for one will be masking up indoors in public during cold/flu season moving forward Covid-19 be damned. (plenty of other nasty stuff floating around to catch!)

Don't like it? Tough freaking luck. :mad:

*(interesting how even here in CT the map CLEARLY indicates in more rural/GOP leaning towns the rate of infection is far higher most likely due to fewer being vaccinated... and CT is pushing 82% w/1 shot & 71% fully vaxxed I believe. How stupid are these people?)
I'm on the PATH station platform now. About 95% mask wearing. This is the lowest I've seen it this year.