NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 678 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
But you don't know how many sought and got a religious exemption. I didn't think it was going to work but if the Government is going to start forcing companies to mandate, the inevitable result is that companies will just approve any RE request unless they want the employee gone for non-vaccine reasons.
Unfortunately for your assumption I do actually have a pretty good idea about that as I have access to a nice color coded dashboard of theirs. And that insight disproves your second statement at least for this employer: 97% of employees are vaccinated. The approved exemptions (inclusive of religious and medical) are 1.5% of the employee population. They approved less than 10% of the religious exemptions. (There is still some gray area in these numbers as the deadline hasn't been hit yet and some exemptions are still under review. In addition 1.0% of people are 'in the process of being vaccinated')

Reactions: nakedfrog and K1052

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just at whole foods, about 75% mask wearing. Went to 99 Ranch for some Asian good, about 97% mask wearing.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Went back to 99 Ranch because I forgot one thing. A fire truck parked in the fire lane and three firefighters got out to go in. I thought it was a call but they were not wearing most of their gear, so it was just a visit. They saw the sign on the front that said masks required, laughed it off, grabbed a cart, and went in. I saw them shopping when I hunted down the product I needed, chinese marinated cooking rice wine.

Now most stores around here are masks optional, from Costco to the liquor stores big and small, to the grocery stores. 99 Ranch is an Asian supermarket chain, and at least around here, all the Asian stores are way more strict with mask requirements than others. All the Chinese takeout places that had a few tables inside around me all still have their indoor dining areas closed off, and masks required to do pickup. It's a cultural thing it seems.

Well apparently to our local public servants, fuck the Asian community's feelings. Wearing a mask for 10 minutes while shopping is too burdensome. I should have said something.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Went back to 99 Ranch because I forgot one thing. A fire truck parked in the fire lane and three firefighters got out to go in. I thought it was a call but they were not wearing most of their gear, so it was just a visit. They saw the sign on the front that said masks required, laughed it off, grabbed a cart, and went in. I saw them shopping when I hunted down the product I needed, chinese marinated cooking rice wine.

Now most stores around here are masks optional, from Costco to the liquor stores big and small, to the grocery stores. 99 Ranch is an Asian supermarket chain, and at least around here, all the Asian stores are way more strict with mask requirements than others. All the Chinese takeout places that had a few tables inside around me all still have their indoor dining areas closed off, and masks required to do pickup. It's a cultural thing it seems.

Well apparently to our local public servants, fuck the Asian community's feelings. Wearing a mask for 10 minutes while shopping is too burdensome. I should have said something.

Disappointing but of course not surprising.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So the vaccination deadline happened at my company. Looks like their stance now is to just force unvaccinated people to do a rapid test twice a week. Better than being fired.

One of my coworkers is dealing with that now as he does not want the shot.

Dec 10, 2005
So the vaccination deadline happened at my company. Looks like their stance now is to just force unvaccinated people to do a rapid test twice a week. Better than being fired.

One of my coworkers is dealing with that now as he does not want the shot.
Is your coworker a moron? Hundreds of thousands of dead people and thousands upon thousands more having long term effects from covid not motivation enough?

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is your coworker a moron? Hundreds of thousands of dead people and thousands upon thousands more having long term effects from covid not motivation enough?

Just decided he didn't want it I guess. We're at 31 deaths in our health unit and 2,222 total cases. Most of those were during the 3rd wave which was pretty bad here. We were actually considered a hot spot for a while.

I was originally hesitant myself TBH but I ended up getting both shots as soon as I could just because of how bad things were getting.

Now it's virtually gone here though. I'm sure the vaccine is probably the reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante
Dec 10, 2005
Just decided he didn't want it I guess. We're at 31 deaths in our health unit and 2,222 total cases. Most of those were during the 3rd wave which was pretty bad here. We were actually considered a hot spot for a while.

I was originally hesitant myself TBH but I ended up getting both shots as soon as I could just because of how bad things were getting.

Now it's virtually gone here though. I'm sure the vaccine is probably the reason.
Decided he didn't want it... in other words, likely a moron. I highly doubt he was weighing the pros and cons here, considering there are few rational reasons to avoid the vaccine in the current environment.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Decided he didn't want it... in other words, likely a moron. I highly doubt he was weighing the pros and cons here, considering there are few rational reasons to avoid the vaccine in the current environment.

After a certain point you have to simply accept these things and move on. Not saying it's okay just that there's nothing we can do about it.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Pharmacy chains starting to post appointment availability for Pfizer 5-11s now.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This has amazing and highly significant information has gotten very little attention, AFAIK:

Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that in the United States, women account for 45.6 percent of Covid-19 deaths so far and men account for 54.4 percent. (Men make up slightly less than half the U.S. population.) Among Americans ages 65 to 84 — the group at highest risk for severe Covid-19 — the gap is even larger: 57.9 percent of deaths have occurred among men and 42.1 percent among women. According to the Brookings Institution, at least 65,000 more men than women have died of Covid-19 in the United States. Globally, the death rate has been about 50 percent higher for men.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
This has amazing and highly significant information has gotten very little attention, AFAIK:

I didn't read the article due to the paywall. But I suspect that it could be several reasons (and possibly a combination of all of these):
  • Riskier behavior (more exposure chances, for a longer period of time, with different occupations, inhaling more initial viral load)
  • Different underlying conditions (men tend to have more heart conditions, more diabetes, more overweight, more diseases such as HIV, etc).
  • Less testing (fewer men get tests, so by the time they realize they have Covid, it is in a worse state)
  • I haven't seen Covid-specific data on this, but I suspect men just don't take care of themselves as much so they probably wait longer to go to the hospital.

Reactions: Muse

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Pharmacy chains starting to post appointment availability for Pfizer 5-11s now.
Got my daughter an appointment for Saturday morning. My mom is going to have to take her, though, so I'm not sure if it'll actually happen. The doctor's office would hold her down, but CVS won't and my mom can't.

Reactions: Muse and Captante

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Men usually don't go to the doctor or hospital until they are at death's door. They hate admitting vulnerability as it signals weakness in their heads. It's also harder for them to ask for help. These are probably the main reasons why many men die of several preventable diseases.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Got my daughter an appointment for Saturday morning. My mom is going to have to take her, though, so I'm not sure if it'll actually happen. The doctor's office would hold her down, but CVS won't and my mom can't.

I apologize if you've mentioned it in the past but does she have some condition which requires this? (not being critical/negative in any way just curious)

Shots back when I was a kid WERE actually pretty painful and traumatic due to the (relatively) thick and dull re-usable needles ... kids have it easy today vaccination-wise!

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I apologize if you've mentioned it in the past but does she have some condition which requires this? (not being critical/negative in any way just curious)

Shots back when I was a kid WERE actually pretty painful and traumatic due to the (relatively) thick and dull re-usable needles ... kids have it easy today vaccination-wise!
No, just want it started. I experienced a lot of death in my family as a teenager, so I don't take chances.

Also I'm going to opt her out of masks once she's vaccinated since more than half her class has opted out already.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I was pretty uncooperative with needles when I was a kid. My poor parents and nurse if there was a blood draw lol.

As I got older I finally learned just to distract myself.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hold her down? Um, give her a lollipop?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was pretty uncooperative with needles when I was a kid. My poor parents and nurse if there was a blood draw lol.

As I got older I finally learned just to distract myself.
My dad was an M.D., would bring vaccines home and tuck in the door of the fridge. Vaccine time, we rolled 'em up without a peep.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Men usually don't go to the doctor or hospital until they are at death's door. They hate admitting vulnerability as it signals weakness in their heads. It's also harder for them to ask for help. These are probably the main reasons why many men die of several preventable diseases.
I was that way partly because I had no steady job for ages and no health insurance and was young enough nothing ever happened of consequence. I was also living below the "poverty line." When I turned 50 my brother M.D. told me I should start doing prescribed colon cancer exams and had one, and etc. Not too long after, I had jobs where I had coverage but didn't use it. Was laid off one and signed up for COBRA, got checked out and a blood test revealed I had an as yet asymptomatic, but concerning issue. Outpatient surgery took care of it, never got to symptomatic stage but brother assured me it would have were it not for the surgery. Got coverage not long after, regular blood tests, vaccinations, occasional exams, this and that and gradually have developed the attitude that health is primary, not something to be taken for granted. I didn't see a dentist for 2 years because former dentist since 1984 or earlier retired just before the pandemic and I was afraid to seek out a new dentist during the pandemic. Now vaxxed, met my new dentist 5 days ago, who sent me to an endodontist (yesterday) and I'm scheduled for around $6000 worth of work between the two in the coming couple months. I'm upbeat, though. These guys ARE the best!

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Hold her down? Um, give her a lollipop?
When was the last time you were with a young kid getting a shot? The peds nurses don't even give the kid a chance to fight, they start holding instantly.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
When was the last time you were with a young kid getting a shot? The peds nurses don't even give the kid a chance to fight, they start holding instantly.
Never seen or heard of scenes like that. On TV they show compliant calm kids every day now, nobody obstreperous. Maybe promise an ice cream cone if they don't fight?